WV - 7 year old sets fire to apt w/parents sleeping inside, 1st degree arson, stepfather also later arrested for CA, Sandyville, 24 May 2023 *arrests*

Where is the footage? They describe the video as him spanking the boys and pulling him by the arm out of the room.
If you go onto the sheriffs department page and read the comments under the 1st post there are some interesting comments.

Also, my apologies, I didn't realise you hadn't seen the footage.

Surely there is a way to get this child where he needs to be, to receive every single service/help/support he needs, without charging him with a crime?

He's 7. When my kiddo was 7, she still thought unicorns might really live in a special land of rainbow forests.

These were (I think?) the only details given about the incident.

Edited to add: Was this home security camera footage or was this video made on a phone or other recording device? Anyone know?
*Idk. I assume it was made on a phone but wondering who sent it. Seems the mom would be the only one that could have made it but she could have shared it with someone and they sent it in.

According to Hufford’s criminal complaint, Jackson County deputies were made aware of a video that shows Hufford hitting a minor, picking them up “forcefully,” and leaving the room. When interviewed, Hufford called what he did in the video “excessive.”
eta @Rolypolyoly Thanks for the link. I had not seen that comment. It does help fill in a few blanks.

Last edited:
Arresting and charging a 7 year old? That's insane. Poor kid.

Yeah. I wonder how the justice system believes he understands his right to remain silent, or his right to be protected from self incrimination, or his right to have a lawyer with him. A 7 yr old doesn't understand the real consequences of starting a fire.

It's so weird to have a system in place to criminally charge young children.

Spanked? Did you see the footage?
I was worried about what took place after he took him out of the room.

Before step dad entered the room. What was the child doing to the other child near the dresser? Did he choke him? The video was so small I couldn’t tell what he was doing. Maybe just close talking?

I was worried about what took place after he took him out of the room.

Before step dad entered the room. What was the child doing to the other child near the dresser? Did he choke him? The video was so small I couldn’t tell what he was doing. Maybe just close talking?

He put his hands on either side of his chin and turned his head towards the other dresser. He didn't choke him, the other boy didn't even react.

Even if he had choked him though, the step father's actions were beyond inappropriate (I know you aren't suggesting otherwise) and did you see how fast he flew in there and grabbed him? That wasn't a one off IMO

I am looking for the video but not finding it? I can't use Facebook at work so I will have to try to locate and watch it later. I see all the comments by checking FB on my phone but not a link to the video showing the abuse.

ETA, I suspect there is more info to come and we've only just seen a snip of some disturbing behaviors (stepdad, not child)

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back