Martha Jean Lambert - Missing since 1985
Reaction score
Lora Skaggs

Missing Person Case

upload_2018-12-18_15-45-55.jpeg

LKA:
Date Last Seen: January 1st, 1948
Age Last Seen: 27 years old
Circumstances: Lora disappeared while hitching a ride. She was last seen at some point between 1948 and 1950

Physical Characteristics:
Height:
Weight:
Hair Color: Red/Auburn
Eye Color: Brown
Scars and Marks: appendectomy scar

Skeletal Information: None

Identifiers:
Dental: Unknown
DNA: Available
Fingerprints: Unknown

What a shame that no one knows the year in which she disappeared.

I came across Lora today while searching for possible matches to UP11172:
Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP11172
Female, White / Caucasian

Date Body Found: October 16, 1972
Location Found: Richmond City, Virginia (Charleston, West Virginia)
Estimated Age Range: 18-25 Years (28-30)
Estimated Age Group: Adult - Pre 30
Estimated Year of Death: 1947-1950 (1948-1950)
Estimated PMI: 25 Years
Height & Weight: Cannot Estimate
Circumstances of Recovery: A human skull & mandible, left femur & two long bone pieces were turned over to OCME by Virginia State Police.
Condition of Remains: Not recognizable - Partial skeletal

Without much else to go by for both the MP and UID, I'm not sure how else these two would be compared other than DNA. (I see that Lora's was available at some point - not sure about UID)

As of 2013, Lora had a daughter and son who were still searching for her. I found the photo that's attached to her missing profiles along with a note from her family on ancestry. That provided a little more information...
Lora.png
Posted Sept. 6, 2013:
Searching.png

“Missing, 1949, Cabin Creek, West Virginia”
“lora skaggs cains born feb.27th in coalton ky. disappeared 1949 while supposedly making trip to charleston from decota, wva place of residence. no social security number available. s.s.a. will not give it out to us. only thing they will tell us is they have no record of her death.any information would be appreciated by her daughters and son. thank you.” [sic]

Name: Lora Lorraine Skaggs Cains
Date of Birth: February 27, 1920
Place of Birth: Elliott County, Kentucky
Height: 5'0"-5'4"
Weight: 115-130 pounds
Married Leonard Theodore Cains (who passed away in 2002) and had 3 children with him.

The same person who posted the note listed "Troy Stark Ohio, USA" as Lora's place of death. (Abt. 1995) I could not find such a place...
UP6279 12/18/1996 Fairfax VA
UP6249 11/14/1980 Rockingham VA

UP16160 10/17/2016 Cuyahoga OH (link not accessible)
UP16689 11/14/1969 Cuyahoga OH
UP6661 02/03/1991 Stafford VA (link not accessible)
UP6629 02/03/1991 Frederick VA
UP5556 05/30/1976 Virginia Beach VA
UP8493 12/06/1993 Fairfax VA
UP8579 01/25/1981 Hanover VA
UP6642 08/07/1986 Chesterfield VA
UP12683 06/06/2014 Newport News VA
UP10026 05/10/1950 Morgan WV

Last edited:
Maybe whoever posted that was talking about Troy, Ohio which is not in Stark County and made a mistake? Not sure why it listed her death date or place if she is missing, weird. Plus they said she was hitching a ride from Decota to Charleston (West Virginia, I assume). Gosh, I think you may as well submit that find you have. I wonder if we could find more information or the kids.

ETA: I see on her NamUs that it says:
She was hitch hiking into town to pay a bill or she was hitch hiking to go work in Ohio

I am curious where that information came from - the husband?

Okay, now I am confused. Here is the husband's findagrave. His wife has the same maiden name as Lora. Now I have to go look and see if he married her sister or something after she disappeared. Maybe a coincidence. Dora is the wife on shared headstone.

Leonard T. Cains (1919-2002) - Find A Grave...

ETA: Okay, I checked the records and Leonard did marry the sister of Lorraine/Lora.

Last edited:
Okay, now I am confused. Here is the husband's findagrave. His wife has the same maiden name as Lora. Now I have to go look and see if he married her sister or something after she disappeared. Maybe a coincidence. Dora is the wife on shared headstone.

Leonard T. Cains (1919-2002) - Find A Grave...
I was just coming back to post! :confused::eek:
He definitely married Lora’s sister, in 1955
Here is the sister’s obituary...
80090B33-7663-44A6-AE5B-BBCD435AD7FD.jpeg
I’m not sure who provided the information posted on NamUs. I’m not quite sure what to make if this one...

I did make a connection to Troy, Ohio - kind of - one of Lora's kids got married later and I believe Troy was the place of residence at that time. Just noting that in case we ever need that info. I am working on no sleep so I better stop for the time being. lol I am getting myself confused!

I did make a connection to Troy, Ohio - kind of - one of Lora's kids got married later and I believe Troy was the place of residence at that time. Just noting that in case we ever need that info. I am working on no sleep so I better stop for the time being. lol I am getting myself confused!
Agreed! I’m beginning to chain my own tail at this point :D

I swear I am going to try and sleep but had to say that the family should get DNA on file if they haven't and try to help us understand if they know for sure when she disappeared. As well, I am wondering if anyone ever made a report of her missing at that time - hoping maybe we can find a newspaper article or something.

I swear I am going to try and sleep but had to say that the family should get DNA on file if they haven't and try to help us understand if they know for sure when she disappeared. As well, I am wondering if anyone ever made a report of her missing at that time - hoping maybe we can find a newspaper article or something.
I gotta say, I’ve not researched many cases this old, so I’m not sure what the “norm” is. For all I know, marriages like this may not have been uncommon. Nonetheless, the timing and circumstances are still confusing IMO. I did a quick search for newspaper articles... nothing. I didn’t spend a lot of time on it (chasing my tail, remember? ;) ) But from the looks of things I’d say the remaining family members (children) must have known they were being raised by their aunt? JMO of course. I was wondering if they were asking about her SSN specifically so that she could legally be declared dead? After all these years? That’s quite a bit of time IMO. :confused:

I gotta say, I’ve not researched many cases this old, so I’m not sure what the “norm” is. For all I know, marriages like this may not have been uncommon. Nonetheless, the timing and circumstances are still confusing IMO. I did a quick search for newspaper articles... nothing. I didn’t spend a lot of time on it (chasing my tail, remember? ;) ) But from the looks of things I’d say the remaining family members (children) must have known they were being raised by their aunt? JMO of course. I was wondering if they were asking about her SSN specifically so that she could legally be declared dead? After all these years? That’s quite a bit of time IMO. :confused:

Well FWIW, I do genetic genealogy and I've seen quite a few widows and widowers marry the sibling of deceased spouse. So, probably a good thing if the kids were raised by an aunt :) In order to marry the second wife, Lora/Lorraine must have been declared dead or a divorce must be on file.

Moving forward now, that whole chasing your tail thing made me dizzy lol I would love if we could get an accurate account of what happened. I think we need these questions answered (yeah longshot, I know):

Was she hitching a ride with someone known to her or was she "hitch hiking"?
When did she leave?
Where was she headed?
Who was with the kids when she left?
If she was headed to Ohio to work, what was the plan for the kids during this time?
Has family submitted DNA?
and a few more I can't think of right now.

A report was made when she went missing by her parents I was told. Everything was done on paper back then and we think it was lost. Everyone that was alive when she went missing besides her children are deceased. I initiated contact with the West Virginia state police. They helped us file the report. Lincoln Parish sheriffs department in Ruston, La started the collection process to have her DNA reconstructed. My ex mother in law said she was 6 years old when her mother went missing. That would make it 1950 when she went missing. I was told that her aunt that raised her got rid of everything that belonged to their mother. A cousin had a picture of Lora that’s the only reason we have one. Lora would be my kids great grandmother.

I thought I'd add some background to this story from a genealogical perspective.

The Kentucky Vital Records Index, 1911-1999 shows Lora's birth date as 27 Feb, 1920 with the birth taking place in Elliott County, Kentucky. Her mother's name is listed as Lavinia Hill.

FamilySearch

We then see Lora Skaggs, age 17, from Grayson, Carter County, Kentucky and Leonard Cains, age 21, from Hitchens, Carter County, Kentucky, applying for a marriage license as shown in the Grayson East Kentucky Journal, April 30, 1936.

Attachment below.

Next we find Lora Skaggs, now Lora Cains, in the 1940 US Census, at age 20.

FamilySearch

She is living in the Town of Carbon in the Cabin Creek Magisterial District in Kanawha County, West Virginia, with her husband, Leonard Cains, age 21, Leonard's widowed father, James, age 64, and their one year old daughter, Ruth Evelyn. Leonard was employed as a coal loader in the mining industry. All were born in Kentucky except for Ruth Evelyn, who was born in West Virginia. Leonard, Lora and James Cains were living in Carter County in 1935 according to the census.

The 1930 US Census shows Leonard Cains, age 11, living with his parents, James and Gracie Cains, both age 56, in Hitchens Precinct, Carter County, Also living there were his sisters, Ruby and Carmine, age 28 and 21, both public school teachers. Another sibling was Albert, age 17. James Cains was a miner in the fire clay industry. All were born in Kentucky according to the census.

FamilySearch

The Register of Marriages for Kanawha County, W. Virginia show that Leonard Theodore Cains and Dora Skaggs, both divorced, were issued marriage licenses and married on the same day, May 12, 1955. Both were born in Kentucky and both resided in Decota, Kanawha County, W. Virginia, at the time of their marriage. They were married in Chesapeake, W. Virginia, by Rev. A. H. Chapman.

West Virginia Vital Research Records - Record Image

The Miami County, Ohio marriage application records show that Joan Ernestine Cains, 20, another daughter of Leonard T. Cains and Lorraine Skaggs, and born in Charleston, W Virginia, and Thomas Lee Hines, 18, applied for a marriage license on March 29, 1963 (she) and June 2, 1963 (he). A consent to Joan's marriage was on file from her father as was a copy of decree. Under 'mother' on the form, it was listed as (divorced) with no signature. Joan was listed as living at an address in Troy, Miami County, Ohio.

FamilySearch

The register of marriages for Kanawha County, W. VA., show that on Jan 14, 1956, Ruth Evelyn Cains, 16 married David Maxon Nunn, 18. He was residing in Sharon, Kanawha County, W. Virginia and she was residing in Decota, Kanawha County, W. Virginia.

West Virginia Vital Research Records - Record Image

They later divorced October 14, 1966 in Miami County, Ohio. They had 5 children.

Ruth Evelyn Nunn applied for marriage to Gerald Lee Metcalf February 20, 1967 in Miami County. She had been living in Tipp City, Miami County, Ohio. Gerald Lee Metcalf, also divorced, had 2 children from a previous marriage.

Claude Arnold Cain, age 23, son of Leonard T Cains and Lora Skaggs, had been living in Troy, Miami County, Ohio and applied for marriage there, August 5 , 1964.

The only thing I couldn't find was the date when Leonard and Lora got divorced.

Did Leonard have to wait a certain period of time before remarrying?
Did Lora have to be legally be declared dead before Leonard could remarry?
Did Leonard divorce before or after Lora's disappearance?

Leonard married again, May 12, 1955. I'd assume that when Lora disappeared, that she was raising Ruth below, at that time.

"The register of marriages for Kanawha County, W. VA., show that on Jan 14, 1956, Ruth Evelyn Cains, age 16, married David Maxon Nunn,"

Was it Aunt Dora Mae that raised Ruth?

"I was told that her aunt that raised her got rid of everything that belonged to their mother."

Is there anyone in touch with the other descendants of Lora's parent's family (the Skagg's and Hill's)? Usually they have a better closer knowledge of what went down at the time of the disappearance.

"A report was made when she went missing by her parents I was told. Everything was done on paper back then and we think it was lost."

Attachments

• skaggs.jpg
    skaggs.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 21
There's a couple, Sean and Carrie McCracken, who have a website and YouTube channel called Mysterious WV. They profile unsolved West Virginia, and SE Ohio cold crimes and disappearances. Perhaps he might be of some help.

skaggs.jpg

1679107633558.png

In reviewing my previous post and doing the math, I'd like to add that Leonard T. Cains stated he was 21 on April 30, 1936, which would put his birth date in 1915. Yet, he was actually born June 26, 1919. So, if he applied for a marriage license on April 30, 1936, he was only 16 since his birthday was actually June 26, 1919. IMO, I think he stated he was 21 because parental consent for marriage must be given for anyone under 18. Apparently, his parents did not approve of him getting married at 16. Correct me if my math is wrong.

Lora Skaggs was born 27 Feb 1920, so her legal marriage age of 17 (with parental consent) at the time of the marriage license checks out.

I also might add that their first child was stillborn due to (lung collapse) (atelectasis) on August 23, 1937, according to the public Kentucky death certificate record on file at Ancestry, so that pregnancy didn't factor in to them having to get married.

Hitchins is 5 miles from Grayson and in the same county of Carter. Since Leonard Cains was born 26 Jun 1919 in Denton, Carter County, Kentucky, the same county he got married in, one has to wonder why the Carter County clerk of records didn't catch the glaring error of his wrong birthdate on his marriage license.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back