Found Deceased WV- Riley Crossman, 15, Martinsburg, Morgan County, 7 May 2019 *arrest*

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by doodles1211, May 10, 2019.

1. johnbelt

johnbelt Well-Known Member

Grandmother's husband -Robert D. Golden Jr., 47, of Winchester Grade Road, Berkeley Springs, was indicted on one count of possession with intent to deliver a controlled substance, one count of transporting a controlled substance into the state, one count of simple possession of a controlled substance, one count of failure to use a hands-free device, one count of passing in a no passing zone, one count of driving left of center and one count of failure to stop at a stop sign.

lindugh, cass523, Alcina and 4 others like this.
  2. Hte2w8

Hte2w8 Verified Law Enforcement Officer

A parent has a responsibility to protect their children from threats both external and internal. Maryland is one of the states that allows online access to arrest records. Granted, he lived in Berkeley Springs, WV... But he did plenty of time in Maryland, which is the closest long term correctional facility. Even if she didn't know from talking to him and others, observing his behaviors etc,., She could have (read should have) looked up any man who was going to sleep in her home, and have access to her children, in the State o MD records database. It's called due diligence and every parent has a responsibility to perform their due diligence on people they will be sharing a bed with and introducing to their children. I'm not even going to touch the yet unsubstantiated rumors about Mom's own vices. The fact he had arrests that were searchable online is enough, to ME, that she shares some of the responsibility for what happened.... I said some, not all... But that is our job as parents, to reduce the likelihood or occurrence that something bad will happen to our children. We are the filter... Clearly in this instance, she failed her daughter and herself. I won't even let unlicensed or unbonded blue or white collared workers into my home... But then again, I've been a police officer for 29 years, I've seen the danger where most don't.
    This is clearly just MOO

haven71, lindugh, cass523 and 21 others like this.
  3. JRW

JRW Well-Known Member

I completely agree! The pull that some "elected positions" have in small towns is much different than they would be in a big city. In some small towns just having the correct last name can make a huge difference on how much pull you have in situations.

haven71, cass523, misgrn and 5 others like this.
  4. JRW

JRW Well-Known Member

I think alot of the blaming of the mom has to do with how she reacted to this. She was very silent ( which obviously doesnt make her guilty, but i feel this led to alot of frustration). She also was aware that her boyfriend was doing drugs.... there are rumers she was a drug addict herself. She allowed the monster who killed her daughter to live in her home. It is a situation where it is very easy to blame the mom. We don't know the whole situation yet so it is not fair, but she does not have the best reputation and I can understand why people's anger and frustration are being directed at her.

lindugh, cass523, FunkyMonkey and 4 others like this.
  5. Hte2w8

Thankfully, a new sheriff was elected in 2016. Prior to that the MCSD was full of generations of the same family. The were a substandard LE Agency. The new sheriff KC Bohrer, has a lot of LEv experience in larger organizations, graduated from the FBI leadership program (which is not easy) and has really made a difference in MC. I speak from experience. We were a victim of a property crime pre Bohrer, and it was handled so poorly because the LE just didn't care. Since then, we have noticed a huge difference in Berkeley Springs and Great Cacapon, in MC. They are far more active now. As a result, I am hopeful there will be no nepotism or favoritism involved in this case.

ETA
    I should qualify this with the information that we live part time in MC, and live and work full-time in Los Angeles, for a major metropolitan law enforcement agency, so I am not speaking without some foundation.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  6. JRW

JRW Well-Known Member

I agree about how did he get to work to get the work truck? Also there was the 3 am drug run that keeps being talked about... I've heard the boyfriend had a drivers liscence and I've heard that he didn't. So many conflicting "facts" surrounding this case!

7. flashy09

flashy09 Well-Known Member

I think you misinterpreted my post. I did not blame all step dads or boyfriends or moms in the least. Definitely not the whole community lol! I also do not have 3 kids myself, I was referring to Riley's mother.

But I do regret if any mother allows a "shady character" to be alone with their children. Shady meaning a history of serious illegal offenses and current drug abuse and any sort of unsavory behavior in general. I should not have said that remark about his creepy face. Just meant you can often tell when someone is not doing well.

cass523, Stripehaven, misgrn and 6 others like this.
  8. Dre

Dre Well-Known Member

@Vern i feel you. I have a hard time on some of these threads when the mom seems to get more attacked than the man that did the gruesome acts. Like there’s some sort of imbalance that happens.. feels like women get blamed harder, and even when they didn’t perpetrate any abuse..
    there’s grey space here... she didn’t murder her child, nor is there evidence of her abusing her child, that was him.
    She’s a terrible mother for letting that POS be in her daughters life, but her intent was far different from his and that needs to be remembered. She will be in her own personal hell now for the rest of her life. Imo that’s plenty punishment for her bad choices.

FrankHoney, mks762, cass523 and 15 others like this.
  9. Curiousobserver

Curiousobserver Well-Known Member

The crime may have occurred much later. She may have skipped school that day and got caught by the boyfriend.

10. AzPistonsGirl

AzPistonsGirl Detroit to the Bone

here to eat my hat and express my outrage. %$#@)*&< How does this happen, over and over again - what are we doing wrong?! Heartbreaking.

cass523, misgrn, dancemom and 3 others like this.
  11. JohnTate90210

JohnTate90210 Well-Known Member

I don't know if anybody else has worked on a timeline but this is based largely on the Dateline episode and some on an article on "The Journal" website:

May 7, 3:30 pm - Riley woke her mother, Chantel, for work.

May 7, 7:00 pm - Riley's grandmother left Riley's home.

May 7, 10:00 pm - Chantel arrived home from work. Saw Riley's bedroom light on but didn't see her.

May 7, 10:30 pm - Riley finished video call with her boyfriend.

May 7, Midnight - Riley finished texting with a friend.

May 8, 5:40 am - Riley tried to video call her boyfriend but he was asleep.

May 8, 7:15 am - Chantel woke up and saw that Riley was gone but thought she'd already left for school which was across the street. (Story said "across the street" but it appears she lived on Greenway which is about a quarter-mile away.)

May 8, 7:45 am - Riley's school started classes.

May 8, 9:00 am - McCauley left work site.

May 8, 10:00 am - Green Dodge 2500 work truck (apparently used by McCauley) was seen backed into Riley's house. McCauley says he was there for 15 to 30 minutes.

May 8, 12:41 pm - McCauley's work truck was seen on video near Apple Harvest Drive, east bound. Note, this is only about 15 minutes from his work site. Also, about 45 minutes from Riley's house (based on shortest route, per Google Maps).

May 8, 1:41 pm - McCauley arrived back at his work site.

May 8, 3:30 pm - Chantel messaged Riley asking where she was because her grandmother had said she hadn't come home from school. Message didn't deliver. She then called and it went to voicemail. Second text went undelivered.

May 8, 3:40 pm (approximate) - Chantel asked her mother to go to school and look for Riley. Riley wasn't there.

May 8, 5:00 pm - Chantel left work and drove to school to look for Riley. Riley's boyfriend was in parking lot. He'd just returned from a school field trip. He hadn't talked to her all day. School then called Chantel and reported Riley had been absent that day. Chantel they called 911 and Riley's father, Lance Crossman, whole lived 25 minutes away.

haven71, cass523, Chocoholic and 10 others like this.
  12. JohnTate90210

JohnTate90210 Well-Known Member

From Riley's home to the body location, is about 44 minutes. From there to the video sighting of the truck on Apple Harvest Drive s about 17 minutes. From Apple Harvest to McCauley's work site is about 15 minutes. So, total is about 76 minutes. If he left the house around 10:30, he could have disposed of her body and continued on to work by 11:46 but he didn't show up there for nearly two more hours. But we also know he was at Apple Harvest at 12:41, so still nearly an hour missing between home and there. Why did it take another hour to drive from Apple Harvest to work when it should have been only 15 minutes? There are a couple of mystery hours that are missing. One on each side of the Apple Harvest sighting.

haven71, mks762, cass523 and 6 others like this.
  13. johnbelt

johnbelt Well-Known Member

I have more detailed timeline with police searches and impounding a few vehicles which came from a neighbor let's law enforcement was not confused in the least about what happened from the start.

cass523, misgrn, Hte2w8 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Hte2w8

I'm assuming that most are operating on the belief that he killed Riley in the early morning hours, hid her somewhere in the house or garage, and returned mid morning to dispose of it?

If this has been discussed already I apologize.

15. Rosiebones

Rosiebones Well-Known Member

If that is the case then she didn't attempt the FaceTime call to her boyfriend. It doesn't make a lot of sense if AM did it because if the boyfriend had picked up he wouldn't have seen RC.
    It seems to me the window was between the 5:40 call and the 7:15 look in by the mother (if that time is correct). That is a little more than an hour, enough time to do what was done.
    I wonder if cadaver dogs were taken through the house and garage area.

johnbelt and AzPistonsGirl like this.
  16. Hte2w8

Will trained Cadaver dogs can pick up the scent of death between 1.5 and 3.5 hours after death. I have no idea where the dogs used were from (what agency) and how well trained they are.
    They hit on the truck bed though.
    Do we know what Mom did after she checked in on Riley?
    I think it's unlikely Riley was still alive at 715.

johnbelt and AzPistonsGirl like this.
  17. Sachi

Sachi Well-Known Member

Thank you for this.

LRMOM and lillywonka like this.
  18. Rosiebones

I believe there are two younger children in the house, both boys, perhaps she was getting them off to school.
    Who do you theorize made the FaceTime call and do you think it was to alter the time line?

AzPistonsGirl likes this.
  19. Hte2w8

There are so many unknowns in this case that I hesitate to even theorize... But this case was like a gut punch to me, so I find myself going where I normally would not...
    I think the Face time call was accidental. I do it all the time with my own phone while handling it... I accidentally call the last person I called or text, or just randomly place a call to someone. If I were in trouble, my boyfriend wouldn't be my first call. She could also have grabbed it during a struggle and accidentally dialed.
    The crime scene lab found a small amount of a substance resembling blood in her room. There are a million sources for blood in her room that could be completely legitimate, if it's is even blood. Having said that, the totality of the circumstances lead me to believe that she was harmed, at least, in her room, before the mom checked in the morning. I would like to know where mom was after 715...hell I'd like to know where she was BEFORE 715... and where Riley's room was in comparison to mom's.
    I don't think this was planned, I think it happened and he panicked. It seems unlikely, but not impossible, that he would go into Riley's room to do whatever he did, while the house was up getting ready at 715. I need more info on the timeline before I speculate further though.
    I could be completely wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.

bluenoser, cass523, pippin and 2 others like this.
  20. Rosiebones

I wonder what the layout of the house is. If it is a split level then the bedrooms are upstairs at one end and other bedrooms are downstairs and the garage opens into that level. It is just so hard for me to understand how the others in the house didn't hear anything.
    We don't have enough information about AM to overlay the timeline of his movements onto the timeline laid out by JohnTate90210 up thread.

cass523 and Sconnie like this.