Dentals: Unknown
Fingerprints: Unknown
DNA: Unknown
Clothing & Personal Items

Clothing: Blue blouse with white straps and faded blue jeans
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown
Circumstances of Disappearance

Sheila was 24 years old on date of missing (06/24/1978).
Investigating Agency(s)

If you have any information about this case please contact;Agency Name: West Virginia State Police
Agency Contact Person: Sgt. E. B. Starcher
Agency Phone Number: (304)-675-0850

Agency Case Number: Unknown
NCIC Case Number: N/A
NamUs Case Number: MP #16986
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.
Information Source(s)

NamUs
WVSP
Doe Network Link case

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3477dfwv.html

Sheila Gail Wears Pierce

Distinguishing Characteristics: A Tattoo. A rash from metal allergy. (Allergic to metal and will develop a skin rush if she touches metal)

Details of Disappearance
Sheila was last seen at 3:30 pm in Point Pleasant on June 24, 1978. She left her house (1400 block of Kanawha Street) to walk to the shop-a minute downtown. Her wallet was located in the Ohio River, miles from where she was last seen. Serial killer Henry Lee Lucas confessed to murdering her, but was not convicted of her murder because there was no evidence.

http://www.nampn.org/cases/pierce_sheila.html
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/p/pierce_sheila.html

Her DNA is now available

DNA Status:
Sample submitted - Tests complete
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/16986/8

Sheila Wears Pierce of Point Pleasant West Virginia

Posted: 20 Jul 2002 12:36AM

I am searching for information about Sheila Wears married to Chuck Pierce in Point Pleasant West Virgina in the early 1970's.
From what I am told Sheila went missing sometime around 1976.
I have been told serial killer Henry Lee Lucas confessed to murdering her, but was not convicted of her murder because the was no evidence. I have tried to look up info in the Point Pleasant paper, but since I have no exact date I can't find a published story. If you have any information on the whereabouts of Sheila or know the dates of her disappearance please respond.

Posted: 30 Jul 2003 12:46AM

Hi Marsha,
I am the sister -in-law of Sheila's uncle . We all have been
trying to find info about her disappearance. My sister has
been very involved in the case. Also, the year Shelia went
missing was 1978 around Dec. I think.
There is a police officer in Pt. Pleasant who is looking for
answers. You may want to contact him. His name is Eddie
Starcher.If you gain any info or have any more clues that
would help, please keep me posted.
Henry Lucas did confess and though he did know certain
details such where Shelias' tatto was located and and a
rash from being touched by metal, she was allergic to any
metal, even the snaps on her jeans. He didn't know other
details, so it wasn't enough to go for a convictiion. Good
luck on your search..Our family wants very much to learn
anything about Shelia's whereabouts. We need that closure.
Jeanne

Posted: 30 Jul 2003 10:23PM

Is it true that Henry Lee Lucus was at the Pierce family reunion with someone named Knuckles? I know that the Wears family is related to the Knuckles family as your Great Grandma Ida's mother was a Knuckles, but that doesn't say why he was there for the Pierce side. Just curious. I heard that her billfold was found in the river a year after her disappearance. Someone sent me a clipping if you want to see it let me know. I will send it to you.

Posted: 20 Mar 2013 08:25AM

My Name is Brooklyn. I want you to know my grandmother is Altta Glover and I believe she was related to Shelia, awhile back I seen her picture and asked my grandma who she was and she told me her story. A few weeks later they showed a reconstuction on wsaz and though a few differences the women looked a lot like her, the dates where messed up but you never no try to give them a call maybe they can do some kind of DNA testing. Good Luck.

https://www.ancestry.com/boards/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=7&p=surnames.wears

In 2012 numerous articles stated that LE is comparing Sheila to Belle in the Well Jane Doe found in April 1981 in Ohio.

Belle in the Well JD Namus: https://identifyus.org/cases/6259
(239 rule outs, and if I see correctly Sheila is not rule out yet)

index.php

In June of last year, the county coroner’s office exhumed the remains of the woman who had been buried in an unmarked grave off Homeless Road in the early 1980s, the county’s only unidentified missing person. The woman’s body, which had been weighted down with a concrete block and thrown in a well near Dobbstown, was found by children playing in the area.

At the time she was found, the body was so decomposed that authorities could not determine if it was male or female, much less identify who it was. That was in 1981, before DNA matching was commonplace and databases created. Authorities theorized the body could have been put there as early as 1979.
http://www.irontontribune.com/2012/03/02/d...ional-database/
http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/Invesigation_into_Womans_Death_Reopened_123919809.html

"Recently, someone linked to the events of 1967 wrote me, sending along clippings about her cousin, Wes Wears. Wears received a medal for his heroic acts saving people while working on an ice boat in the Ohio River, after the 1967 collapse of the Silver Bridge.

The correspondent noted that Wesley Franklin Wears of Point Pleasant suffered a heart attack after his heroics and never fully recovered. He lived only until August 1972, dying when he was only 42. His oldest son Thomas died in a tragic car accident in Mason County, West Virginia, shortly after his father’s death.

Wes’ daughter Sheila Wears Pierce went missing in 1977. She was never found. Her wallet was located in the Ohio River, miles from where she was last seen. Serial killer Henry Lee Lucas confessed to her murder, but was not tried for that offense. (Lucas’ confessions may have been mere fictions, of course.)"

sheila.jpg

http://cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo-news/good-bad-ugly/

Sheila Gail Wears Pierce
  • sheila_gail_wears_pierce_1.jpg
Pierce, circa 1978

• Missing Since06/24/1978
  • Missing FromPoint Pleasant, West Virginia
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • Date of Birth06/03/1954 (64)
  • Age24 years old
  • Height and Weight5'7, 120 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry DescriptionFaded blue jeans and a blue blouse with white straps.
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Pierce has a tattoo. She's allergic to metal and will develop a skin rash if she touches metal.
Details of Disappearance
Pierce was last seen leaving her residence in the 1400 block of Kanawha Street in Point Pleasant, West Virginia at 3:30 p.m. on June 24, 1978. She has never been heard from again.

A serial killer later confessed to having murdered Pierce, but his statement has never been verified. Few details are available in her case.

Henry Lee Lucas probably didn't kill her but she could have been a victim of foul play nonetheless

Hello! My names shelia this person that went missing is my dads sister he named me after her unfortunately the case has been closed for many years now because they couldn’t find anything else ^^
Welcome to WS- I hope LE reopens your Aunt’s case. Lots of new technology solving cold cases today.

Welcome to WS,my condolences to your family for the loss of your Aunt. Happy to have a family member with us here.
Does anyone in your family have an idea as to what might have happened to Shelia when she vanished ? Any help appreciated
Unfortunately not. Honestly we have no clue. I guess after they closed the case everyone stopped trying to find leads to where she went. But my dad still talks about her a lot about how she looks like me. But I really think she may not be alive, because I feel like they would have found her if she was.

Welcome to WS,my condolences to your family for the loss of your Aunt. Happy to have a family member with us here.
Does anyone in your family have an idea as to what might have happened to Shelia when she vanished ? Any help appreciated
But I do get mistaken as her on Facebook because of my name. Really wish I could have met my aunt, it would have been nice.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire
Back