Found Safe WY - 4 snow mobile riders, Snowy Range Area, Albany County, 22 Dec 2018

cybervampira

Reaction score
Albany County Sheriff's Deputies searching for missing snow mobile riders

Albany County Sheriff's Office sent its Search and Rescue team to the Snowy Range Area on Monday morning.

SAR was called in after 4 snow mobile riders didn't return to their 2015 Chevy Silverado Truck that was parked in the Centennial parking area.

The riders haven't been seen since Saturday morning.

The truck has South Dakota plates, a lift kit, and roof rack. All of the riders were riding Ski Doo 850 sleds.

Albany County Sheriff's Office

Snowy Range Snowmobile Club

Update: Albany County Sheriff's Search & Rescue will be going out first thing Monday. Meeting at Greenrock at 7:30am. Please check into the command trailer if you go out to help search.

10:30am: Carbon County SAR will be sending a team up from the west side to expand the search area. The command trailer is in the Ryan Park lot.

Gear description: 2 riders in all black, one in black and red, one in blue and orange.

Possibly 4 riders missing in the Snowies. Last contact was Saturday morning.

"They are driving a 2015 Chevy Silverado ( South Dakota plates) lifted with a roof rack. Grey trailer. They said they were leaving from centennial parking area Saturday morning. Very recognizable truck. Says gp customs all over it. All riding ski doo 850. 4 sleds.....2 yellow sp's. 1 is black. One is wrapped in blue and yellow"

Reports confirm that their truck was in Greenrock area Sunday at 5pm.

Rocky Mountain Sled Conditions

They(SAR) are organizing and heading out in the morning. SAR will be at Green rock around 730 am. If you ride at the Snowy’s tomorrow be on the look out for 4 guys on 4 SkiDoo 850's.

****Sheriff has been called**** Have had several reports of the truck in the Green Rock lot Sat night and Tonight***** 4 guys missing in the Snowy's, WY. Last contact was Saturday morning. Can anyone confirm seeing this vehicle at Greenrock or Centennial parking areas?
"They are driving a 2015 Chevy Silverado ( South Dakota plates) lifted with a roof rack. Grey trailer. They said they were leaving from centennial parking area Saturday morning. Very recognizable truck. Says gp customs all over it. All riding ski doo 850. 4 sleds.....2 yellow sp's. 1 is black. One is wrapped in blue and yellow" Should have BCA radios on on channel F. 20-0 I believe ----Ryan Focken

upload_2018-12-24_22-30-18.jpeg upload_2018-12-24_22-30-29.jpegupload_2018-12-24_22-31-0.jpeg

**Update** on the 4 missing in the Snowy's, WY. I have personally spoke with several that have searched today, As of 330 pm today, no confirmed sightings of the 4 missing or their sleds. I am waiting on a call back from Albany county SAR on any info they have. Im hoping they can at least let us know areas that have been searched, so we can narrow down the search area. I want to thank EVERYONE helping to find these 4, on the mountain and at home! I will update this post and the main post, with any info I get from SAR when they contact me. A chopper is on stand by, but as I understand is grounded because of weather. Again, my thoughts go out to family and friends! Everyone searching, please stay safe and check in and out with Albany County SAR, Green Rock parking, Centennial side.

We also have a description of the 4 riders gear, 2 riders in all black gear, 1 in black and red gear, and 1 in blue and orange gear. They are all riding Ski Doo 850's(couple pics in the original post.). 2 yellow sp's, another is black, and another one is wrapped in blue and yellow" Should have BCA radios on on channel 20-0, I believe, possibly on 9-11 also.

They(SAR) are organizing and heading out in the morning. Search will resume tomorrow( Dec 25th) around 730 am at Green Rock parking area.
The men were last confirmed seen at the Quealy safety shelter around 1pm on Saturday. If you ride at the Snowy’s Dec 25th, be on the look out for 4 guys on 4 SkiDoo 850's. If you are going up to help, please check in with the Sheriff/ SAR in the Greenrock area on the Albany County side or in the Ryan Park lot on the Carbon County side.

****Sheriff has been called**** 4 guys missing in the Snowy's, WY. The men were last confirmed seen at the Quealy safety shelter around 1pm on Saturday. No additional information about their whereabouts has been confirmed.
All riding ski doo 850. 4 sleds.....2 yellow sp's. 1 is black. One is wrapped in blue and yellow" Should have BCA radios on on channel F. 20-0 I believe ----Ryan Focken

**Update** on the 4 missing in the Snowy's, WY. I have personally spoke with several that have searched today, As of 330 pm today, no confirmed sightings of the 4 missing or their sleds. I am waiting on a call back from Albany county SAR on any info they have. Im hoping they can at least let us know areas that have been searched, so we can narrow down the search area. I want to thank EVERYONE helping to find these 4, on the mountain and at home! I will update this post and the main post, with any info I get from SAR when they contact me. A chopper is on stand by, but as I understand is grounded because of weather. Again, my thoughts go out to family and friends! Everyone searching, please stay safe and check in and out with Albany County SAR, Green Rock parking, Centennial side.

***Another Update*** I still have not heard back from Albany County SAR, but have been in contact with someone who worked with Carbon County SAR on the west side of the Snowy's today. As of 430 pm, the Carbon county group came off the mountain and nothing had been found on their end. If you would like to help search from the WEST/Saratoga side tomorrow, SAR will be set up tomorrow in the Ryan Park parking area. They will be up there by 8am, they will have info on what has been searched. THIS IS FOR THE WEST SIDE, the Albany county will have things set up on the EAST side.

Latest **UPDATE** Albany Co SAR got back to me, Nothing found today, search will resume tomorrow around 730 am at Green Rock parking area.
The men were last confirmed seen at the Quealy safety shelter around 1pm on Saturday. No additional information about their whereabouts has been confirmed.

We also have a description of the 4 riders gear, 2 riders in all black gear, 1 in black and red gear, and 1 in blue and orange gear. They are all riding Ski Doo 850's(couple pics in the original post.). 2 yellow sp's, another is black, and another one is wrapped in blue and yellow" Should have BCA radios on on channel 20-0, I believe, possibly on 9-11 also.

4BA08DF2-71B9-46D3-9856-18A1C82B8941.jpeg

This one is..... odd. At first I wondered if we were SURE they were missing and not just at a cabin. It sounded like it was reported by someone at the parking lot. Now that there are names and everything it sounds like it's been confirmed. It just initially sounded strange so I had hoped that it was a false alarm.

I really hope this one has a happier ending. It appears Miah is the father of Zach and Cole. So a wife is worried about her husband AND 2 sons.

However, they are not novices by any means. They are from South Dakota which can make Wyoming look like Arizona as far as weather and temperature goes. So.... hopefully well equipped and resourceful guys will have a happy ending here.

It sounds like they sent a helicopter up a few hours ago with thermal imaging. Maybe that will find something.

Miah

https://www.facebook.com/jeremiah.christensen.77

Zach Christensen

Cole Christensen

Oh not again :(

@MsFacetious was the first person i thought of when I saw this, I don't know where you're at but please tell us your family is safe?

Thanks. :cool: We don't ride in WY, yes we are good. My peeps are going for a day ride only this Saturday with my sister's family and one of my daughters. The area we ride in is exponentially safer than the area these guys were in. Virtually no avalanche potential, no lakes, it's why a broken leg and shoulder have been our worst casualties. That doesn't mean it doesn't make me nervous though.

We are also much less flashy than these guys. That is not said in a negative way, at all. Our truck and sleds are much more plain, we would not be nearly as noticeable or memorable. We do have a friend who has a similar truck and sleds, I had to take a closer look to verify it was not him and his kids. They have a Ford, not a Chevy but very similar for sure. It looks like we have some mutual friends, which isn't uncommon since we snowmobile the same mountain range and my brother lived in South Dakota for a while.

Here is to hoping they are found on this Christmas day.

I used to snowmobile years ago and my two biggest fears were falling in a soft spot in a lake or when the snow was so high catching the top of a barbed wire fence. Where I went there were no avalanche dangers. And the machines are so much bigger and faster today. Again let's hope today is the day.

We have wooden fences here and those have taken out a control arm or ten in their day for sure when the posts were just barely not visible under the snow.

When we go now we also stay away from avalanche areas. We've outrun a couple but nowadays we just stay out of those areas.

My only real fear is and always has been being stuck on the mountain overnight with my kids. Absolutely terrifying and why I mostly quit going. I couldn't have fun anymore because I was constantly anxious.

I want a happy ending for these SD guys like we got for the ND guys in 2014.

5 snowmobilers missing in Wyoming found safe

They were gone less than 48 hours though.

I'm a little surprised at the tone of the friends in this situation actually. They are also hoping for a miracle.

That is concerning because I would expect those who know them to believe they could survive for several days until rescue.

It makes me think they feel something catastrophic occurred for there to be no trace for 4 days. Since they have radios I would think they'd also have beacons as well. I know there was a slide in Wyoming on the 22nd that killed a man, maybe that is what they are thinking. :(

That is exactly what I am thinking happened. Maybe went further into back country than intended and ran out of gas like the 5 posted above.

I have high hopes right now. It looks very very good! Weather grounded air support though so we are waiting for sleds to get in and confirm.

It's Christmas, great day for a reunion!

Last edited:
****Sheriff has been called**** 4 guys missing in the Snowy's, WY. The men were last confirmed seen at the Quealy safety shelter around 1pm on Saturday. No additional information about their whereabouts has been confirmed.

Why were they at the safety shelter? Did they have problems before arriving at the shelter? If they did or there was bad weather why would they leave the shelter?

Why were they at the safety shelter? Did they have problems before arriving at the shelter? If they did or there was bad weather why would they leave the shelter?

No it's just a warming hut is all. They weren't having issues. They were talking with other riders actually about their safety equipment. They had taken tons of precautions. Avalanche gear, heated goggles (so they don't fog up!) and we're amazingly prepared.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back