Found Deceased WY - Aubree Corona, 28, did not return to campsite, Sublette County, 13 Jul 2019

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by GuyfromCanada, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Tssiemer

Tssiemer Well-Known Member

Yeah I second the “don’t burn your car” advice. I was always told to stay with it as it is bigger and easier to find.

misgrn, cass523, therion20 and 13 others like this.

2. Midwestmom2019

Midwestmom2019 On Time Out

Good to get both views. I suppose a contained signaling would work. I really like the burn tire idea. Start with the spare.
    In any case, be safe. Be vigilant. Be prepared. Everywhere you go.

LaLaBandicoot, Leney, misgrn and 11 others like this.
  3. Midwestmom2019

Thank you for doing what you do as a SAR search manager. Tough, dangerous and probably not enough pay for what all of you do to help the public.

4. Midwestmom2019

County10.com. Her vehicle was found at the end of a narrow mountain two track road.

5. Bits777

Bits777 Well-Known Member

Well I said I was not sure if this was sound advice- thank you for providing clear direction. I have no plans of traveling alone nor burning cars- I thank you for clarification- maybe that's what fiance meant and wasn't specific- communication is not his strong suit

6. Midwestmom2019

Lol. We’re all sure he knew what HE meant, and we all have male family, friends whose communication skills need help. Mine do, too!
    But I really thought about these survival points that you made in your thread. Adding ideas I never knew. I bet everyone reading these posts learned a few things.
    So thank you all for commenting!

7. JudgeJoe

JudgeJoe Well-Known Member

Up in that territory, I’d stick w the vehicle. Try to collect dew & rainwater. Eat ferns. Too many wolves/bear/mountain lions for hiking out for me. I really want to know what autopsy shows. I’m so sad for Aubree’s kids.

8. beatrixpotter

beatrixpotter Well-Known Member

I know myself well. I would have totally panicked in her situation.

9. JudgeJoe

JudgeJoe Well-Known Member

I think I’d have been OK for the first few days- in the truck. Especially if I had heard helicopters. But then if I had heard them stop... I think it’d be worse than never hearing them at all. Very tough situation.

10. CharlestonGal

CharlestonGal Well-Known Member

Such a sad end. She must have been so frightened and felt so alone. I can't even begin to imagine.

11. Lewie

Lewie Well-Known Member

This is very interesting insight, thank you! I can’t say for sure what I would do, as I’ve never been in such a situation, but I think (I say as I’m fed, watered, and plopped on the couch) I would follow the road/tire tracks back out to a more heavily trafficked road.

misgrn, Luckyzmom, cass523 and 9 others like this.
  12. Midwestmom2019

My son just showed up for a visit. And we went through all of the information I have learned from this tragedy. OnStar. Internet. Cell towers. Survival stuff in car.
    Thank you all. This has been what my son’s been preaching to me for several years, now. Half listened. Now I’m on it.
    Edited to add PAPER MAPS.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  13. margarita25

margarita25 Well-Known Member

Well if you did that in Colorado, you’d probably get arrested:

A man told authorities he started a fire to grill his food. He’s now facing 141 counts of arson.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...now-facing-141-counts-of-arson/?noredirect=on

With Wyoming being just like Colorado, it may be similar.

Yeah I don’t know about that. If you’re on a highway away from trees and not in a wildfire prone area that’s one thing. But noooo you wouldn’t want to be starting forest fires, bad bad bad.

——

ETA:
    And even those who may not normally panic or think they’d panic might panic. One never know how he/she will react in a situation.

I think most people would panic in a situation like this, at least after some time.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  14. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

15. Ksprincess2

Ksprincess2 Well-Known Member

I'm so sad for Aubree's family, especially her kids. It was obvious from her Facebook that she loved them very much.

16. janewall

janewall Well-Known Member

Re: car emergency supplies, we learned to carry a vehicle survival kit when we lived in Canada, and we weren't even living in a rural area. It's advised for winter travel especially, because cars going off road in snow or ice is a common hazard, but I find it handy to have all items in place year round.

The basics:
    Matches, in a waterproof container
    Several candles in metal cans – they are a heat source as well as providing light. Keep a flashlight in your car as well.
    Water bottles
    A metal cup - for heating water over a candle, melting ice or snow, or emergency purifying of outdoor water sources.
    A blanket or two. Fleece is great.​

My additions:
    High-energy non-perishable snacks - granola bars, nuts, dried fruit, jerky. For years we stored our stash in an old child's lunchbox. A few packets of tea, instant coffee, or instant soup.
    A 3-day supply of all vital medications.
    A pocket mini-tool such as Swiss Army knife or leatherman, if you don't carry one regularly. I have one on my keychain.
    1 warm hat, stretch gloves, and pair of dry socks for each family member.
    Paper and pencil.
    Hand sanitizer or towelettes.
    Something to use as a shovel or scoop, to keep airflow to the vehicle if you are caught in heavy snow or your vehicle has overturned.
    A small square of red cloth to mount on car antenna or a branch as a distress flag.​

Better to stay with the vehicle if it's safe to inhabit.

If you do choose to leave the vehicle, leave a note for searchers. Blazing a trail with obviously broken or knifemarked branches or leaving other markings is vital for directing both yourself and searchers.

Other tips upthread are duly noted.

Knock on wood, we haven't needed to use this stuff in 25+ years. But if we ever have a stranding incident, we'll be somewhat prepared.

17. montanagirl15

montanagirl15 Verified Insider Aubree Corona case

No it has not been searched previously because it is "wilderness" area and suppose to be accessible only by authorized vehicles.

texasbean, Carja7, LadyL and 20 others like this.
  18. montanagirl15

Unfortunately, the area was so remote and rugged she was many miles from a main highway. However, she was only 3-4 miles from the main gravel road that she left. It was in a wilderness area well off the beaten path and in an area very few people go.

19. montanagirl15

Per LE the truck was not wrecked. There was something loose under the hood. Aubree knows quite a bit about engines so the idea that she didn't look under the hood seems very strange to us.

20. montanagirl15

There were at least 10 adults at the camp per LE to watch the kids and BF and dad say at the Sheriff's office on camera, while Aubree was struggling and lost on the mountain.

21. montanagirl15

Thank-you Judge Joe for verbalizing the same concerns our family has!