Found Deceased WY - Aubree Corona, 28, did not return to campsite, Sublette County, 13 Jul 2019

I think that people can become panicked in these types of situations, especially when the usual modes of communication or ability to connect are not an option. When a person is in stress things like directions or planning can be compromised. She had been driving around for hours, with a sparse amount of food and water, and needing to make an appointment she missed. I am sure she was doing the best she could.

I know myself well. I would have totally panicked in her situation.

I think I’d have been OK for the first few days- in the truck. Especially if I had heard helicopters. But then if I had heard them stop... I think it’d be worse than never hearing them at all. Very tough situation.

So most people who suddenly realize they are lost and are on foot, tend to wander around a bit and see if they can find a landmark they can get their bearing from. When that fails, most of them go into a blind panic and run until they get winded, then they sit down and start to think about how to get out of their situation. This is all very evident when you are following their tracks and you can see the various stages of confusion, panic and exhaustion. I hope someone from the SAR team paid attention to the tracks so that this portion of the story was documented in the report.
This is very interesting insight, thank you! I can’t say for sure what I would do, as I’ve never been in such a situation, but I think (I say as I’m fed, watered, and plopped on the couch) I would follow the road/tire tracks back out to a more heavily trafficked road.

This is very interesting insight, thank you! I can’t say for sure what I would do, as I’ve never been in such a situation, but I think (I say as I’m fed, watered, and plopped on the couch) I would follow the road/tire tracks back out to a more heavily trafficked road.

My son just showed up for a visit. And we went through all of the information I have learned from this tragedy. OnStar. Internet. Cell towers. Survival stuff in car.
Thank you all. This has been what my son’s been preaching to me for several years, now. Half listened. Now I’m on it.
Edited to add PAPER MAPS.

Last edited:
My fiance told me always keep lighters and newspapers in the trunk along with a case of water. He told me if you are lost in nowhere start a fire and if you have an inoperable vehicle start it on fire- he said it will call attention and also provide you with a landmark as to where you were. Don't know how sound his advice is but there is a case of water old newpapers and lighters in my car trunk.

Well if you did that in Colorado, you’d probably get arrested:

A man told authorities he started a fire to grill his food. He’s now facing 141 counts of arson.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...now-facing-141-counts-of-arson/?noredirect=on

With Wyoming being just like Colorado, it may be similar.

Yeah I don’t know about that. If you’re on a highway away from trees and not in a wildfire prone area that’s one thing. But noooo you wouldn’t want to be starting forest fires, bad bad bad.

——

ETA:

And even those who may not normally panic or think they’d panic might panic. One never know how he/she will react in a situation.

I think most people would panic in a situation like this, at least after some time.

Last edited:
Re: car emergency supplies, we learned to carry a vehicle survival kit when we lived in Canada, and we weren't even living in a rural area. It's advised for winter travel especially, because cars going off road in snow or ice is a common hazard, but I find it handy to have all items in place year round.

The basics:
Matches, in a waterproof container
Several candles in metal cans – they are a heat source as well as providing light. Keep a flashlight in your car as well.
Water bottles
A metal cup - for heating water over a candle, melting ice or snow, or emergency purifying of outdoor water sources.
A blanket or two. Fleece is great.​

My additions:
High-energy non-perishable snacks - granola bars, nuts, dried fruit, jerky. For years we stored our stash in an old child's lunchbox. A few packets of tea, instant coffee, or instant soup.
A 3-day supply of all vital medications.
A pocket mini-tool such as Swiss Army knife or leatherman, if you don't carry one regularly. I have one on my keychain.
1 warm hat, stretch gloves, and pair of dry socks for each family member.
Paper and pencil.
Hand sanitizer or towelettes.
Something to use as a shovel or scoop, to keep airflow to the vehicle if you are caught in heavy snow or your vehicle has overturned.
A small square of red cloth to mount on car antenna or a branch as a distress flag.​

Better to stay with the vehicle if it's safe to inhabit.

If you do choose to leave the vehicle, leave a note for searchers. Blazing a trail with obviously broken or knifemarked branches or leaving other markings is vital for directing both yourself and searchers.

Other tips upthread are duly noted.

Knock on wood, we haven't needed to use this stuff in 25+ years. But if we ever have a stranding incident, we'll be somewhat prepared.

I know! When I was very young I got myself in a situation. Staying in a cabin in WA with a friend. We drive to town for drinks. Got pulled over. Friend got arrested. I was buzzed so I was afraid if I drove off they'd arrest me too. So I walked down the highway to the turn off which was a miles long country road to the cabin. In the middle of the woods.

Hell no. After a few terrifying moments I knew I couldn't do it. I snuck back to the highway, lay in the culvert watching for a while and when the coast was clear I grabbed that truck and took off.

I'm scared to imagine what she went through. I wonder what it's like out there as far as roads and infrastructure and whether there was a main highway she could stay on to get back to camp. Or not?

It's a terrible outcome.
Unfortunately, the area was so remote and rugged she was many miles from a main highway. However, she was only 3-4 miles from the main gravel road that she left. It was in a wilderness area well off the beaten path and in an area very few people go.

There is more information there. It says there was gas but the truck was inoperable. She must Hve wrecked or something and if so, could have been injured. Poor girl.
There is more information there. It says there was gas but the truck was inoperable. She must Hve wrecked or something and if so, could have been injured. Poor girl.
Per LE the truck was not wrecked. There was something loose under the hood. Aubree knows quite a bit about engines so the idea that she didn't look under the hood seems very strange to us.

Myself as well. I also feel for the boyfriend- wasn't he watching her children back at the campsite while she went on her errand? That had to be very hard for him and his family. Of course, it is difficult for her family and most especially her children. Such a sad situation.
There were at least 10 adults at the camp per LE to watch the kids and BF and dad say at the Sheriff's office on camera, while Aubree was struggling and lost on the mountain.

I know! I’m biting my tongue! Where is the sheriff's office? Then again I’ve eaten crow when doubting LE in the past- learned there was a very excellent reason for their communication/lack of communication/action/lack of action, etc. Hoping this is the case here.

On another note, rocketminer could have found a more respectful title to acknowledge Aubree’s passing. Irritating.
Thank-you Judge Joe for verbalizing the same concerns our family has!

This all brings to the table the dangers of driving alone through remote areas—-no cell coverage, dangerous terrain...

I didn’t need anything to make me more paranoid than I already am but I will be sure to pack emergency supplies in the vehicle should I ever make a similar trip.

Some upstream mentioned they do this, pack the extra water, etc. I will now add to that possibly flares, a lime orange emergency reflective vest, compass, blankets, flashlight with lots of batteries, snacks, etc etc.

She must have been soooo frustrated, gosh, being lost for hours, then ending up on some godforesaken road, then her vehicle doesn’t start...

So running out of gas wasn’t the issue, the truck broke down it sounds like. I wonder what exactly was the issue with the vehicle. I was originally thinking maybe it overheated but then it still wouldn’t start after searchers found it.

Just a really really tragic case.
More info to come in the next few weeks.

No it has not been searched previously because it is "wilderness" area and suppose to be accessible only by authorized vehicles.

I hope you and Aubree’s children are holding up as best as possible.

More info to come in the next few weeks.

We will be here. Thank you for keeping us posted.

I’m honestly really anxious to hear whatever information is released.

I have a feeling Aubree's family, friends and bf will end up knowing more than we ever will. No matter what happened, I pray you will some day find peace and closure, and comfort in knowing that there are complete strangers who truly are grieving with you for your loss.
Our family will share information as we receive it and are given permission by LE to share. As a family we have so many unanswered questions that need to get answered! As we get those answers we will share them with you! As Aubree's family we would like to thank each one of you for help, suggestions, thoughts and prayers in our quest to find our beloved daughter, sister and mother. Whole the outcome was not what we had hoped for we are extremely grateful that Aubree was found and we will have the opportunity to honor her and lay her rest!

Also get yourself a 4 x 4 rescue signal panel that is blaze orange on one side and lime green on the other. If you look around you can usually find a white strobe light for a reasonable price for night signalling. Better to have them and never need them then to not have them and be in a life or death situation. Another smart thing to have is a 50' length of braided rope (usually available in a bundle at your local mega hardware store) in yellow. Better to throw a drowning person a rope than to find yourself being pulled under by the person you are trying to rescue.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back