Found Deceased WY - Gabby Petito, Grand Teton National Park #86

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did Gabby's family agree to this?
Supposedly not but permission wasn't needed anyway.

Gabby Petito Lifetime movie 'not approved' by vlogger's grieving family

Gabby's family doesn't "own" the rights to her story, her story in the public domain as is Brian's. (I'm sure the L's didn't give permission either.) Sometimes producers will seek permission and pay a family a relatively small sum, mostly so they won't come out against the movie. But they don't need permission.
JMO

Gabby's family doesn't "own" the rights to her story, her story in the public domain as is Brian's. (I'm sure the L's didn't give permission either.) Sometimes producers will seek permission and pay a family a relatively small sum, mostly so they won't come out against the movie. But they don't need permission.
JMO

JMO

I see this as disrespectful to Gabby's memory. If I were a family member and nobody in the family was asked for permission, I'd be horribly angry.

I see this as disrespectful to Gabby's memory. If I were a family member and nobody in the family was asked for permission, I'd be horribly angry.
I understand. But I suspect just about every movie ever made about a real life event with a dead person at the center was made without the surviving family's permission. Families wouldn't own the rights anyway, no one would, but if it's important to have a family on board or there is a desire to get additional information from the family, some sort of payment might be contemplated. But dead people don't have rights to privacy and they can't be defamed. Of course, if a living family member is portrayed in a defamatory way in the movie it might be possible to sue.
JMO

So sad. In some ways, it’s hard to believe that it’s only been a year.

On another note, her parents’ tweets seem to confirm that they believe the date of death to be the 27th, which I’ve never known to be completely established.

On another note, her parents’ tweets seem to confirm that they believe the date of death to be the 27th, which I’ve never known to be completely established.

I wonder if this date of death, August 27th, is important for their civil lawsuit case.

I think Lifetime jumped the gun a bit. There’s SO much we still don’t know and may never know. It’d be hard for me to fill in so many blanks. JMO

I can’t believe it’s already been a year. :(

August 27th as the date Brian murdered Gabby was also in the lawyer's released statement, and the August 28th date however was stated as "we believe" when the Laundries became aware. Jmo very different, as it does not say August 27th was the date "we believe" Brian murdered Gabby.

Petito family attorney Rick Stafford released the following statement

"Brian Laundrie murdered Gabby Petito in Wyoming on August 27, 2021 while they were on a cross country trip. Gabby and Brian were engaged to be married and would have been part of the Laundrie family. This meant nothing to Christopher and Roberta Laundrie after their son ended Gabby's life. We believe Christopher and Roberta became aware of Gabby's murder on August 28, 2021. There were multiple conversations between Brian, his parents and their lawyer Steven Bertolino before Brian left Wyoming on August 30, 2021. Christopher and Roberta had multiple opportunities to disclose to Joe, Nichole or the authorities that Gabby was no longer alive and to direct them to her body. Instead, Christopher and Roberta Laundrie showed callous indifference to the suffering of Gabby's family and compounded her family's anguish, pain and suffering by their actions. For this, Christopher and Roberta must be held accountable....." snipped by me Gabby Petito's family sues Brian Laundrie's parents, claiming they knew of murder

An article stated, but without the source names attached, "Investigators said Petito died of homicide on Aug. 27. Brian left Wyoming and returned home for North Port, Florida in Gabby’s 2012 Ford Transit on Sept. 1 – 10 days before she was officially reported missing." Judge rules in favor of Petito family continuing with civil lawsuit against Laundries

Jmo, that to me shows that date of death has been determined. JMO

Last edited:
August 27th as the date Brian murdered Gabby was also in the lawyer's released statement, and the August 28th date however was stated as "we believe" when the Laundries became aware. Jmo very different, as it does not say August 27th was the date "we believe" Brian murdered Gabby.

Petito family attorney Rick Stafford released the following statement

"Brian Laundrie murdered Gabby Petito in Wyoming on August 27, 2021 while they were on a cross country trip. Gabby and Brian were engaged to be married and would have been part of the Laundrie family. This meant nothing to Christopher and Roberta Laundrie after their son ended Gabby's life. We believe Christopher and Roberta became aware of Gabby's murder on August 28, 2021. There were multiple conversations between Brian, his parents and their lawyer Steven Bertolino before Brian left Wyoming on August 30, 2021. Christopher and Roberta had multiple opportunities to disclose to Joe, Nichole or the authorities that Gabby was no longer alive and to direct them to her body. Instead, Christopher and Roberta Laundrie showed callous indifference to the suffering of Gabby's family and compounded her family's anguish, pain and suffering by their actions. For this, Christopher and Roberta must be held accountable....." snipped by me Gabby Petito's family sues Brian Laundrie's parents, claiming they knew of murder

An article stated, but without the source names attached, "Investigators said Petito died of homicide on Aug. 27. Brian left Wyoming and returned home for North Port, Florida in Gabby’s 2012 Ford Transit on Sept. 1 – 10 days before she was officially reported missing." Judge rules in favor of Petito family continuing with civil lawsuit against Laundries

Jmo, that to me shows that date of death has been determined. JMO
Maybe Brian mentioned it in the journal/notebook found with his remains. Just a possibility.

Petito's mother is calling on people to honor victims of domestic violence Saturday night by lighting a candle, lantern or even stringing lights in their backyard.

Three lawsuits related to her death, one naming Laundrie’s parents and another a Utah police department that allegedly mishandled a domestic violence call involving the couple two weeks before the murder, remain pending.

ONE of the Utah cops involved in Gabby Petito and Brain Laundrie's 'bungled' traffic stop has been promoted within the Moab Police Department while two others have quit, The U.S. Sun can reveal.

Last edited:
Wonder why it wasn't part of the FBI's report if the date was so well-known?
Iirc the FBI report did not release portions of the notebook, Bertolino did, selectively. Perhaps a portion with the murder date was simply not released. More than one note where Brian wrote about murdering Gabby seems very very likely to me. Many notes would not surprise me, I expect that Jmo

Last edited:

Going back over old tweets. Her parents have always been dead set she was killed on the 27th.

Iirc the FBI report did not release portions of the notebook, Bertolino did, selectively. Perhaps a portion with the murder date was simply not released. More than one note where Brian wrote about murdering Gabby seems very very likely to me. Many notes would not surprise me, I expect that Jmo
The final FBI report detailed what they thought happened. It did include some dates. It mentioned B's claim of responsibility from the notebook. It mentioned all kinds of pieces of information. Any writings "investigators" had the FBI would have had or known about. And the FBI had the notebook for months before releasing their report. If the DoD was definitively known to the FBI, it seems to me that would have been part of their concluding investigative report. And if the P's knowledge came from B's writings, it seems that came to them from the FBI. So it seems a bit odd.
JMO

The final FBI report detailed what they thought happened. It did include some dates. It mentioned B's claim of responsibility from the notebook. It mentioned all kinds of pieces of information. Any writings "investigators" had the FBI would have had or known about. And the FBI had the notebook for months before releasing their report. If the DoD was definitively known to the FBI, it seems to me that would have been part of their concluding investigative report. And if the P's knowledge came from B's writings, it seems that came to them from the FBI. So it seems a bit odd.
JMO
Respectfully, I don't share your opinions. I read the report. The FBI released what they chose to, I am not about to question their experienced professional decisions, including deciding not to release the contents of the actual note from Brian, or any other pages from the notebook. Also the FBI stated
"The investigation did not identify any other individuals other than Brian Laundrie directly involved in the tragic death of Gabby Petito. The FBI’s primary focus throughout the investigation was to bring justice to Gabby and her family. " bbm. Imo, obviously the Laundries were not "directly involved in the tragic death of Gabby Petito". I expect the FBI has much much more info that is not directly involved in Gabby's murder and was not released to the public. Jmo

JMO

Agree, it seems odd. And even if BL did include a date in his writings, who would believe it was true?

Do we know if the coroner provided a date of death on the death certificate?

I think Lifetime jumped the gun a bit. There’s SO much we still don’t know and may never know. It’d be hard for me to fill in so many blanks. JMO

I can’t believe it’s already been a year. :(
What I find most troubling about the debut of this movie on October 1 is that it will be shown before the civil trial commences. I don't recall when I first read about Lifetime's plan to produce a made-for-TV movie based on the Gabby Petito case, but I'm sure it was a couple of months before the civil suit was filed. I'm sure that Lifetime is eager to air the film that will likely garner huge ratings, but it might have been prudent to wait until after the civil case has concluded. JMO

Respectfully, I don't share your opinions. I read the report. The FBI released what they chose to, I am not about to question their experienced professional decisions, including deciding not to release the contents of the actual note from Brian, or any other pages from the notebook. Also the FBI stated
"The investigation did not identify any other individuals other than Brian Laundrie directly involved in the tragic death of Gabby Petito. The FBI’s primary focus throughout the investigation was to bring justice to Gabby and her family. " bbm. Imo, obviously the Laundries were not "directly involved in the tragic death of Gabby Petito". I expect the FBI has much much more info that is not directly involved in Gabby's murder and was not released to the public. Jmo
We'll just have to disagree then. I am certainly not suggesting the FBI should have released everything BL wrote. But if they knew the DoD for a murder, it seems odd to keep that "secret" especially for such a high profile case. While we all hope investigating a murder will bring comfort to the family, that's not the function of the FBI or even the function of local investigators. The crime is against society as well.
JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member