Found Deceased WY - Gabby Petito, Grand Teton National Park #86

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again valid reasoning! LE wasn't there to arrest him and haul Brian away. But, they were there to question him. Depending "how" their conversations took place an arrest could have been the outcome. Thus probably why BL refused to speak to them.

Coming at this from an angle that a jury may have or could have believed some contrived defense story and he may have been acquitted is real scenario. I love how you think.

Arrest him with what charges? tia

The other confessions will bring out more information, however small. And more clarity into Brian's thought process.

In my opinion there wasn't much time that passed from the incident at the Merry Piglets and her murder.

I noticed yesterday how that paragraph on page 2 was worded. Gabby being murdered on the 27th also includes "texting" that started as soon as she was killed to fake she was alive. Those will reveal much information. This and the "other confessions" will have a lot to tell us, however small the difference is between all confession letters.
About the Merry Piglet --

We saw how Gabby minimized the conflict/violence in Moab. She didn't want Brian to get in trouble (not uncommon for victims of DV, IMO) because undoubtly she was afraid of the consequences -- IMO Gabby still believed Brian would never go too far and that she could adjust her behavior to keep him from becoming upset (not true, not her job, but sadly all too common among victims of DV).

And I think that's exactly what happened at the Merry Piglet -- Brian got upset. Annoyed. Because that's who he was, that's what he did. Maybe even Gabby innocently remarked about cold fries or he was impatient with the service or who knows but IMO he created something of an initial scene. We see how he thinks -- people are mad at me so, fine, I'll let wild animals tear my dead body apart to make them happy. Gabby didn't seem to have a mean bone. Unicorn toots -- happy, dancy, pollyanny, exactly the kind of empath narcissist choose.) If it was Brian's idea to walk out, I think it was Gabby's idea to pay -- and not create the scene. But the scene probably followed her into the parking lot where Brian likely couldn't let it go, not just upset with the MP but upset with Gabby. Transference. IMO that's what led her to go back in, requesting a reverse, the refund. At that point, I don't think it had  anything to do with food or service. IMO she was trying to appease Brian. She had to live with him.

Ever try to appease a narcissist? It's not possible. No matter the apology. No matter the resolution. No matter if you give them what they want -- they still seem to find a way to blame you for their unease.

Whatever bothered Brian at MP IMO is what led to Gabby's murder. No blame on MP. Millions of unhappy diners don't murder their girlfriends over it. Brian was different. I can almost picture Gabby trying to calm him down, explain, reason with him...because normal people don't get that upset about a lunch. They may have set up camp, started a fire, but I'll bet Brian's impossible self wouldn't let it go. And he started telling Gabby to calm down, eventually choking her like we know he'd done before. Only this time he did terminal damage. IMO the only truth in his notebook is that Gabby didn't die all at once. He likely strangled her to within one millimeter of her life, and then when she didn't recover, when he could've tried to get her help, he instead picked up a rock --

IMO -- thst night I do think he may have picked Gabby up, nearly unconscious, and carried her to the creek, to try to revive her. I don't think he ever loved her (not capable) but I do think he knew he was nothing without her -- he only wanted her to be quiet (how many chokers say that), then tried to resuscitate her (for his selfish reasons alone, none other) but it was way too late. To stop her tortured breathing, to make himself feel better, he picked up the final weapon and decided Gabby's fate. Full on murder, no matter how he tried to spin it.

As much as I hate that he forever took her life, I'm heartbroken for how hard he made her life. Getting sand in their camper when she asked him not to, putting her and her aspirations down, threatening to leave her, holding her keys hostage, justifying ever putting his hands on her in unwelcome ways, and worse, convincing her to apologize for it.

Poor Gabby didn't get to live long enough to outgrow him.

She should be dancing on beaches, lighting up social media, living her best life and just being her beautiful self.

He didn't have the right.

JMO

We saw how Gabby minimized the conflict/violence in Moab. She didn't want Brian to get in trouble (not uncommon for victims of DV, IMO) because undoubtly she was afraid of the consequences -- IMO Gabby still believed Brian would never go too far and that she could adjust her behavior to keep him from becoming upset (not true, not her job, but sadly all too common among victims of DV).

And I think that's exactly what happened at the Merry Piglet -- Brian got upset. Annoyed. Because that's who he was, that's what he did. Maybe even Gabby innocently remarked about cold fries or he was impatient with the service or who knows but IMO he created something of an initial scene. We see how he thinks -- people are mad at me so, fine, I'll let wild animals tear my dead body apart to make them happy. Gabby didn't seem to have a mean bone. Unicorn toots -- happy, dancy, pollyanny, exactly the kind of empath narcissist choose.) If it was Brian's idea to walk out, I think it was Gabby's idea to pay -- and not create the scene. But the scene probably followed her into the parking lot where Brian likely couldn't let it go, not just upset with the MP but upset with Gabby. Transference. IMO that's what led her to go back in, requesting a reverse, the refund. At that point, I don't think it had  anything to do with food or service. IMO she was trying to appease Brian. She had to live with him.

Ever try to appease a narcissist? It's not possible. No matter the apology. No matter the resolution. No matter if you give them what they want -- they still seem to find a way to blame you for their unease.

Whatever bothered Brian at MP IMO is what led to Gabby's murder. No blame on MP. Millions of unhappy diners don't murder their girlfriends over it. Brian was different. I can almost picture Gabby trying to calm him down, explain, reason with him...because normal people don't get that upset about a lunch. They may have set up camp, started a fire, but I'll bet Brian's impossible self wouldn't let it go. And he started telling Gabby to calm down, eventually choking her like we know he'd done before. Only this time he did terminal damage. IMO the only truth in his notebook is that Gabby didn't die all at once. He likely strangled her to within one millimeter of her life, and then when she didn't recover, when he could've tried to get her help, he instead picked up a rock --

IMO -- thst night I do think he may have picked Gabby up, nearly unconscious, and carried her to the creek, to try to revive her. I don't think he ever loved her (not capable) but I do think he knew he was nothing without her -- he only wanted her to be quiet (how many chokers say that), then tried to resuscitate her (for his selfish reasons alone, none other) but it was way too late. To stop her tortured breathing, to make himself feel better, he picked up the final weapon and decided Gabby's fate. Full on murder, no matter how he tried to spin it.

As much as I hate that he forever took her life, I'm heartbroken for how hard he made her life. Getting sand in their camper when she asked him not to, putting her and her aspirations down, threatening to leave her, holding her keys hostage, justifying ever putting his hands on her in unwelcome ways, and worse, convincing her to apologize for it.

She should be dancing on beaches, lighting up social media, living her best life and just being her beautiful self.

JMO
On a related note, I briefly dated an alcoholic before I realized it and that it wasn't going to work. He used the excuse of bad service at a restaurant that we went to-to immediately go have a beer and get drunk. I think that everything you surmised about their encounter at Merrry Piglets leading up to her murder is dead on. He couldn't stand for her to be apologizing for his bad behavior.

JMO
You are so right about not being able to appease a narcissist, which I'm convinced BL was. Sadly, I know firsthand what narcissistic abuse is, and I believe Gabby was being abused by BL. On the video, the signs were certainly there.

I refreshed my memory of the timeline from last year. Here's a link to a CNN article if anyone wants a refresh.

I was reminded that the L's called LE to their home Sept 17 and report that BL is missing too, items were removed to assist in the search for Gabby from the home. Searches began for him in Florida and for Gabby in Grand Teton NP Sept 18 and Gabby was discovered Sept 19. How coincidental is all of this? Just like the L's decide to search for Brian on their own and miraculously find him within in hours after dozens of others had searched forhim, literaly hundreds of man hours. And with his remains are his confessions. Another miraculous coincidence! Amazing when you think about it. Of course the Petito's have questions, we all have questions. Hope the L's will finally answer them.

JMO
Bam!! You did it again @Megnut
This is an astounding post!!!!!

@Megnut @HistoryNut - you two have the same last name, Ha!

Seriously, I believe BL's over reaction to whatever was going on at Merry Piglet may have been encouraged by him getting out of any blame in Moab. He may have felt empowered to behave agressively and then blame it on the emotional girlfriend. The yucking it up with the dudes didn't help Gabby one bit. JMO

I refreshed my memory of the timeline from last year. Here's a link to a CNN article if anyone wants a refresh.

I was reminded that the L's called LE to their home Sept 17 and report that BL is missing too, items were removed to assist in the search for Gabby from the home. Searches began for him in Florida and for Gabby in Grand Teton NP Sept 18 and Gabby was discovered Sept 19. How coincidental is all of this? Just like the L's decide to search for Brian on their own and miraculously find him within in hours after dozens of others had searched forhim, literaly hundreds of man hours. And with his remains are his confessions. Another miraculous coincidence! Amazing when you think about it. Of course the Petito's have questions, we all have questions. Hope the L's will finally answer them.
Your post made me think of something. Pure speculation -- IMO narcissists don't happen overnight and often disturb their families of origins, demanding and enjoying a grest deal of power. Crossing a narcissist is never without consequence and often IME families kowtow, placate, enable, excuse, encourage. Notice how Brian got exactly what he wanted -- to come home, to spend family time (so I guess he could live without Gabby just fine) (that's a lie narcissists IMO love to tell -- if you leave me, I won't be able to live without you so you'll stay -- unadulterated emotional abuse). Then when he wanted to Brian walked (drove) away from what had to be a very tense situation at home, purely of his own making -- and head into the preserve where he wanted to go. Don't be fooled -- he didn't take his life because he couldn't live without Gabby or even because he couldn't live with what he'd done (IMO); he took his life because he didn't want to be confined to a prison cell, not barefoot Brian who wanted freedom and control.

I think (here's my speculation) that Brian left a note for his parents -- the second confession we've heard might have existed (giving fresh details tobwhat they already generally knew) -- there's just something about his parents' delay in notifying LE that their son hadn't come home that leaves me wondering if Brian didn't control that somehow -- a Do Not Open Until type thing.... with yet another version of how he did what he did (but wasn't responsible for -- the hallmark of a narcissist) --

Could he have told them he needed to clear his head and would be home in X days? With instructions to read what would become a confession/suicide letter, to be opened on Day X+1 if he didn't return, and they were desperately hopeful he'd return?

Doesn't change anything but I think it's fair to ask why LE was notified the day they were and not the day he left, the next day when he hadn't returned or any of the days...

All JMO

Last edited:
@Megnut great post. Brian had to have been orchestrating everything going on in the household from the moment, according to the P's lawsuit, he let his parents know that Gabby was dead or I am thinking possibly "disappeared". Her mother didn't report her missing until Sept 11 and Brian left the house Sept 13 (I believe that it was Monday based on what Brian Entin reported). Maybe that weekend is when he realized he couldn't control the situation any longer. Maybe the L's were demanding details he wasn't ready to share. Of course he could have also spent the weekend threatening to kill himself. Speculation on what went down that last weekend on my part.

Ehhh...they could have given him a Benadryl/gotten him drunk/made sure he had no access to weapons around police and would be peacefully arrested. Interesting questions: can people be Merandized while drunk?
BBM

No direct knowledge, but a person can be held then Released Upon Becoming Sober, at least in some jurisdictions. So held until becoming sober, then read the Miranda rights possibly?

IDK about Florida.

jmho ymmv lrr

Last edited:
IMHO, the Petito/Schmidts are going for evidence of accessory after the fact, and are likely to get it, because that's what happened. I don't think that anything is going to make them sympathetic to the enablers of BL.

Florida Statute 777.03 defines what it means to be an accessory after the fact in Florida. When you violate this law, you assist someone after he or she has committed a felony by helping in his or her evade arrest, trial, conviction or punishment. In so doing, you yourself commit a felony offense.

MOO
I think the legal issues wrt "accessory after the fact" would be:

- did they know Brian killed Gabby
- if so when did they know it
- although Brian confessed to killing Gabby, he was never found guilty in a court of law
- can a person be legally found guilty of being an accessory if the person you helped was never convicted of the crime which you are alleged to have been an accessory to

JMO

- although Brian confessed to killing Gabby, he was never found guilty in a court of law
- can a person be legally found guilty of being an accessory if the person you helped was never convicted of the crime which you are alleged to have been an accessory to

JMO
The last point is certainly interesting philosophically. I'm not sure of the legal ramifications but I'm not a lawyer. My best guess is that to prosecute the Ls as accessories (assuming other evidence existed that they were), the prosecutor would have to present evidence in court of BL's guilt. He/she wouldn't be able to simply state BL's guilt was a "known fact."

IMO a big thing to consider is what the Ls actually did IF they knew BL killed GP. Even though I'm not a lawyer I do know:

Not cooperating with LE doesn't make someone an accessory. Failing to report a crime isn't a crime either although in certain circumstances there may be penalties (e.g., licensed mandated reporter for child abuse could lose license for failing to report) At any rate, failure to report does not make a person an accessory. Living with someone who committed a crime isn't a crime and doesn't make a person an accessory.

Of course, if the L's were plotting to help BL escape abroad as the P's claim, that sounds like a crime. But I expect LE already knows that. There was never an indication LE thought BL was anywhere but in the swamp less than 10 miles from home and the L's weren't charged with anything.

The last point is certainly interesting philosophically. I'm not sure of the legal ramifications but I'm not a lawyer. My best guess is that to prosecute the Ls as accessories (assuming other evidence existed that they were), the prosecutor would have to present evidence in court of BL's guilt. He/she wouldn't be able to simply state BL's guilt was a "known fact."

<rsbm>
IMO, Brian's written confession should constitute evidence of guilt which could open the door to a rare posthumous trial.

Just saw this -- please forgive if it's a repeat. Good info, with related articles, and some documentation.
--------------------------------------------

Petito Lawsuit Going To Trial, Laundrie Motion To Dismiss Case Denied​

A Sarasota County judge denied a motion by Brian Laundrie's parents to dismiss a civil lawsuit filed against them by Gabby Petito's family.​

Tiffany Razzano's profile picture

Tiffany Razzano, Patch Staff​

Posted Thu, Jun 30, 2022 at 1:23 pm ET|Updated Thu, Jun 30, 2022 at 1:33 pm ET

SARASOTA COUNTY, FL — A Sarasota County judge has denied a motion by Brian Laundrie’s parents to dismiss a civil lawsuit filed against them by Gabby Petito’s family. (Read the judge's full order denying the Laundries' motion to dismiss below.)
The Petitos are suing the Laundries for intentional infliction of emotional distress. The case will go before a jury trial next summer.
------------------------
Much more here. It includes the judges order to deny the Laundrie's motion to dismiss.

JMO
Although I don't know Florida law, your last point seems so because of Ghislane Maxwell getting convicted after Epstein's death.

Last edited:
IMO, Brian's written confession should constitute evidence of guilt which could open the door to a rare posthumous trial.
Based on other cold cases that I've watched, I don't know that they would hold a trial, but I think that they'd file police reports stating that based on his written confessions that he was the murderer, and normally a case would be closed once the victim's family is notified.

What if there are several versions of BL's confession?
He's still claiming responsibility even if he changes the motive, or method of her death in different versions. The coroner knows that her cause of death was strangulation- that's homicide, even if there were also head injuries that she might have occurred from say tripping. If anything, multiple versions of a story usually make police hone in more on a suspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member