Found Deceased WY - Gabby Petito, Grand Teton National Park #86

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right. I remember this being discussed and I thought somewhere I saw NS say that GP didn't call her during the Moab incident, even though the ranger stated on the video that GP was calling her parents.
That's how I remember it too. And we tried to figure out who she might have called instead. We wondered if she might have called Tara? But apparently she did call at least one of the P's and I'd think NS would be more likely as a first call. But that's JMO.

About the only accurate fact in the radar online link is that a deposition has been requested.

Obviously the lawyers will be asking the questions. Unless there is evidence about which we don't know, the Laundrie's will not be asked about details of the murder.
Jmo, I am sure there is evidence we do not know about. Jmo

I remember that Gabby was on the phone with her mother when she was sitting in the officers patrol car and LE was talking to Brian. JMO

If they had arrested Gabby that day someone in her family would have probably flown out to help her and this probably would have ended differently. And to be candid the L's could sue also.

JMO
What would the L's sue Moab LE for?

Also, I have never seen verification that GP's call from the patrol car was confirmed as being with her mother. Just because she said she was calling her mother doesn't mean she did.

MOO of this latest legal claim.

The Petitos don't want $$$$.
They want CHANGE

This latest filed claim will result in more media coverage, causing more folks to talk, and maybe then some CHANGE can come about.

DV is real

RIP Gabbyi
I agree!

They are unlikely to win such a suit but it could raise DV awareness both for LE departments & potential victims.
MOO

Last edited:
Right. I remember this being discussed and I thought somewhere I saw NS say that GP didn't call her during the Moab incident, even though the ranger stated on the video that GP was calling her parents.
Is there a link to Audio to verify that Gabby was speaking with her parents? Also from the link above:
"I don’t know that they did everything wrong," he said of the officers. "Everybody assumes it was a judgment call. People don’t deserve to get arrested because they got in a fight with someone that they love."

Omg. Jmo.

BTW, the lawyers involved also represented Lauren McClusky's family in a lawsuit.

Although the article implies the reason for the settlement was that the university failed to protect her, a significant component of the LM case was that an officer shared "compromising" photos of the victim which were being used to blackmail her to officers not involved with the case.
That poor girl and her family. I am disgusted. Jmo.

Also in this link, SB says BL never told his parents about the Moab stop.

"Steve Bertolino, an attorney for Laundrie’s parents, said their son had not told them about the Moab incident, and they only learned of it when Fox News Digital exposed the Moab 911 call last September."
He flies home for week after the Moab police encounter & doesn't tell his mother?

Based RL's willingness to help her son in any way she can, I have to ask Bertolino if he is familiar with the penalties for perjury. He's not testifying but a lie of this nature is just as bad IMO.

He flies home for week after the Moab police encounter & doesn't tell his mother?

Based RL's willingness to help her son in any way she can, I have to ask Bertolino if he is familiar with the penalties for perjury. He's not testifying but a lie of this nature is just as bad IMO.
Interesting post. Jmo.

This is the sort of thing I remember reading about NS and the incident from last fall.

NS is quoted as saying when she saw the tape (italics added by me)

“It’s just hard to watch. I wanted to jump through the screen and rescue her,” Nicole Schmidt said of the footage, per NBC News. “I saw a young girl that needed someone to just hug her and keep her safe. I just felt so bad for her. I wish that she reached out to me.”

Either she was misquoted or the use of "reaching out" has a different meaning for her than it does for me (since the new Complaint against LE says GP did call during the incident and there was discussion of her flying home but she didn't want to.)

I know the above quote is what made me think she didn't call NS.

JMO

What would the L's sue Moab LE for?

Also, I have never seen verification that GP's call from the patrol car was confirmed as being with her mother. Just because she said she was calling her mother doesn't mean she did.
Because the lawsuit claims that LE didn't follow proper protocol. What if they had arrested Gabby? A lot of different scenarios could have played out. Both families have "what if's'. JMO. And I am no L fan for the way they have treated Gabby's family.

Because the lawsuit claims that LE didn't follow proper protocol. What if they had arrested Gabby? A lot of different scenarios could have played out. Both families have "what if's'. JMO. And I am no L fan for the way they have treated Gabby's family.
And iirc quote was ........ " concluded adding that an independent investigator later concluded the officers "made several mistakes and could not rule out that Gabby's murder might have been prevented if the officers had handled the situation properly."

I think it's more likely than not that Gabby's parents will win the civil lawsuit against Moab LE. JMO.
If BL had murdered her the night they were separated by LE, maybe. How could LE be blamed for not foreseeing a murder 3 weeks in the future?

LE couldn't permanently protect Gabby even with relocation, a protection order, etc. I can't see the weight of the evidence leading to a win. But maybe once it is litigated, I will have reasons to change my mind.

I definitely don't think it will be settled without going to trial. Nor do I think it should be.

JMO

I like to read the comments on yahoo articles to get an idea of the general public's opinion.

If BL had murdered her the night they were separated by LE, maybe. How could LE be blamed for not foreseeing a murder 3 weeks in the future?

LE couldn't permanently protect Gabby even with relocation, a protection order, etc. I can't see the weight of the evidence leading to a win. But maybe once it is litigated, I will have reasons to change my mind.

I definitely don't think it will be settled without going to trial. Nor do I think it should be.

JMO
All the plaintiff's need to prevail is to have six sympathetic jurors out of eight. That should be no problem with all of the publicity this case has gotten. JMO.

Summary of Civil Procedures - Utah Courts

For those stating the lawsuit could raise awareness for DV that's what the family created the Gabby Petito Foundation for whose mission, in part, is to assist victims of domestic violence situations, through education, awareness, and prevention strategies.

This is a wrongful death lawsuit where the family blames the two Moab officers for Gabby's death for failing to properly handle a 911 call to the tune of $50M. Two very different end goals at play here.

Last edited:
The City of Moab has a $16 million dollar annual budget. So the city obviously cannot afford a $50 Million dollar judgement or settlement.
I don't know what type of insurance the city carries.

The City of Moab has a $16 million dollar annual budget. So the city obviously cannot afford a $50 Million dollar judgement or settlement.
I don't know what type of insurance the city carries.
If they don't have enough insurance coverage I guess that Moab could sell municipal bonds to pay a large judgement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998