Found Deceased WY - Gabby Petito, Grand Teton National Park #86

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to read the comments on yahoo articles to get an idea of the general public's opinion.
Jme/jmo, a lot of articles have comments allowing trolls in general, and trolls with vested interests, out there on unmodersted sites, unlike here. Jmo/jme this website is best to get an accurate, factual victim friendly feel of public opinion.

The City of Moab has a $16 million dollar annual budget. So the city obviously cannot afford a $50 Million dollar judgement or settlement.
I don't know what type of insurance the city carries.
Bbm

Nor do I. I would however be interested to read about the legal indemnification for employees.

Jme/jmo, a lot of articles have comments allowing trolls in general, and trolls with vested interests, out there on unmodersted sites, unlike here. Jmo/jme this website is best to get an accurate, factual victim friendly feel of public opinion.
The comments I read must have been made by trolls hired by the defense. JMO

From this article: Gabby Petito's family files claim alleging police failed her

We get this quote attributed to Gabby's mother:
Schmidt told The Associated Press in an interview last week that she still has many unanswered questions about what went wrong.

“Looking back, I didn’t really see any signs. I think the only two people that will ever know what happened in that relationship was Gabby and Brian. And we can guess and we can make assumptions but we don’t really know what happened,” she added. “Most likely the scenario ended that way because something was happening for a while.”

The original quote comes from this article:

which begins with
Even in hindsight, Nichole Schmidt can’t be sure if anything could have been done to save her daughter Gabby Petito from a messy and violent relationship that ended in murder nearly a year ago in the western wilderness.

Did she know the complaint in Utah would specifically mention Gabby's parents trying to make arrangements to get her back home immediately from Utah. (The complaint is somewhat vague as it describes events as if GP's parents were still together, so we don't know exactly what each parent thought at the time.) Most likely, the lawyers added that to suggest that the presence of police at the scene caused GP's parents to abandon their plans and is somehow a cause of action.

As for the L's. I had always felt that BL's sudden return to Florida was related to the Moab incident, a "cool off" period. I had suspected that BL may have told them the GP was falsely accusing him of abuse or some other nonsense, and that that knowledge placed the L's in a defensive mode and may have led to their subsequent response when GP's family became concerned. If Bertolino's statement is correct, I will need to rethink this part of the timeline.

If BL had not told his parents about Moab, and knew that GP had contacted one or both of her parents, would this lead him to concoct some story which would cause the L's to cut communications with GP's family? Did the Petito/Schmidt's make any effort to contact the Laundrie's during the three week period between Moab and when Gabby went silent around the time of her death? Knowledge of the incident would explain why her family became rapidly upset when they couldn't contact the L's.

It seems the more we know, the more confusing this case gets at times. At its core, it is straight-forward: a manipulative man with anger issues abuses and eventually kills his co-dependent girlfriend. But on the periphery, there is chaos.

B
Jmo Brian's parents knew about the Moab incident, Gabby's did not. So tragic. We will hear more. Jmo.
But the paperwork filed by her family to sue Moab LE says her family knew-- that GP called "her parents" during the incident. That they wanted her to fly home but she wouldn't. I don't know why her family would make that up (although none of the court filings are actual evidence so it's not proof.)
JMO

B

But the paperwork filed by her family to sue Moab LE says her family knew-- that GP called "her parents" during the incident. That they wanted her to fly home but she wouldn't. I don't know why her family would make that up (although none of the court filings are actual evidence so it's not proof.)
JMO
I must keep missing that link? Please provide again. Thanks.

I'm forgetting the timeline. Did BL go home to Florida after the Moab incident or before?

I'm forgetting the timeline. Did BL go home to Florida after the Moab incident or before?
After.
-----
From an article published on Sept 17 NS said this about the Moab incident:

"Addressing reports of the incident on Wednesday, Gabby's mother, Nichole Schmidt told DailyMail.com: 'It's irrelevant.
'Two people traveling together with each other 24 hours a day, it's not going to be perfect, it was an argument, and that's all I'm going to say about it.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10001521/Gabby-Petitos-mom-Nichole-Schmidt-slams-Brian-Laundries-sister-interview.html

Taken at face value, it doesn't sound like there was great concern about the Moab incident at that time. Doesn't quite match with wanting GP on the next plane out. So it's all a bit murky to me.
JMO

After.
-----
From an article published on Sept 17 NS said this about the Moab incident:

"Addressing reports of the incident on Wednesday, Gabby's mother, Nichole Schmidt told DailyMail.com: 'It's irrelevant.
'Two people traveling together with each other 24 hours a day, it's not going to be perfect, it was an argument, and that's all I'm going to say about it.'
Gabby Petito's mom slams Brian Laundrie's sister over interview

Taken at face value, it doesn't sound like there was great concern about the Moab incident at that time. Doesn't quite match with wanting GP on the next plane out. So it's all a bit murky to me.
JMO
A possibly different reaction from Mom and Dad. Maybe Dad was get on a plane and come home and Mom was more open to it being explained away as an argument. I am also thinking that Nichole may have been trying to be diplomatic in what she said to the press during that time, since it was before Gabby was found.

A possibly different reaction from Mom and Dad. Maybe Dad was get on a plane and come home and Mom was more open to it being explained away as an argument. I am also thinking that Nichole may have been trying to be diplomatic in what she said to the press during that time, since it was before Gabby was found.
Maybe. It wouldn't surprise me at all if NS and JP reacted differently. But it's unclear (to me) why the legal notice says she called "her parents" (as if NS & JP were called together) and "they demanded" she fly home. Somehow I doubt GP set up a conference call in the midst of the incident so I doubt she talked to them together then. Not sure though about the diplomacy aspect given what else had been said to the press back then.
JMO

Those cops did everything right as far as I'm concerned. The only one responsible for her death is Brian Laundrie.

<modsnip: Not victim friendly>
I disagree. They failed to recognize that Gabby was the real victim of domestic violence, not the aggressor. She blamed herself, which victims often do.

If BL had murdered her the night they were separated by LE, maybe. How could LE be blamed for not foreseeing a murder 3 weeks in the future?

LE couldn't permanently protect Gabby even with relocation, a protection order, etc. I can't see the weight of the evidence leading to a win. But maybe once it is litigated, I will have reasons to change my mind.

I definitely don't think it will be settled without going to trial. Nor do I think it should be.

JMO
Maybe the female officer could have successfully convinced Gabby to leave the relationship if the officer had tried harder. It seems that the officer felt that she was overstepping her bounds.

"Addressing reports of the incident on Wednesday, Gabby's mother, Nichole Schmidt told DailyMail.com: 'It's irrelevant. <snipped for focus>
Gabby Petito's mom slams Brian Laundrie's sister over interview

Sounds like the P's (at least NS) agreed pretty much with the officers in Moab at that time.

Sounds like the P's (at least NS) agreed pretty much with the officers in Moab at that time.
Sure sounds that way to me.

It's also hard for me to understand the behavior of GP's family when they couldn't reach GP in Aug/early Sept IF a mere 2-3 weeks before they were pleading with her to leave BL & immediately get on a plane and come home.
JMO

What I found interesting, was that Gabby's family wanted to fly her back home immediately, but apparently Gabby talked them out of it.
Where did you see this information? I just read the article and it's not in there. What is in there are multiple opportunities the officers had to get this right. Laundrie's story contradicted himself or didn't add up, the witnesses reported something different, it was clear to most of us who viewed that video what was going on and they missed it all. I'm not saying they could have prevented Gabby's death. But I am definitely saying that it's hard to come to grips with being abused, probably especially if law enforcement is telling you YOU are the aggressor. They just, imo, made it that much harder for her to reach out for help later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong