Found Deceased WY - Gabby Petito, Grand Teton National Park #87

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMHO
Brian confessed to his parents to get their help in avoiding legal repercussions. He wanted protection.
Brian confessed in the suicide note because he wanted to broadcast his version of what happened. He wanted notoriety.

It's all self-serving.
I guess, but it seems odd. JMOO

My thoughts are that his parents grilled him about it and maybe even accused him of doing something bad, which is why he took off when and how he did.

Then I think--and this is all just MOO--that he knew he would be found out so he decided to kill himself, but he left the suicide note mostly for his parents--trying to make it sound as though he had no other choice. It was a stupid story, but to me, it sounded like something a kid would try to get his parents to believe.

The one thing I really don't believe is that his parents tried to help him abscond. Had they tried -- he wouldn't have ended up dead.

JMOO

I guess, but it seems odd. JMOO

My thoughts are that his parents grilled him about it and maybe even accused him of doing something bad, which is why he took off when and how he did.

Then I think--and this is all just MOO--that he knew he would be found out so he decided to kill himself, but he left the suicide note mostly for his parents--trying to make it sound as though he had no other choice. It was a stupid story, but to me, it sounded like something a kid would try to get his parents to believe.

The one thing I really don't believe is that his parents tried to help him abscond. Had they tried -- he wouldn't have ended up dead.

JMOO

I don't think his parents grilled him. He was a delicate flower and a loose cannon from all accounts, they placated him more than anything else.

I don't think his parents grilled him. He was a delicate flower and a loose cannon from all accounts, they placated him more than anything else.
The optimist in me thinks they heard him out and they all made peace together with him going to end his life in the park vs a trial and possibly facing the death penalty. This would save Gabby's family from a trial also.

They did not seem shocked or surprised when searching/when he was found.

The optimist in me thinks they heard him out and they all made peace together with him going to end his life in the park vs a trial and possibly facing the death penalty. This would save Gabby's family from a trial also.

They did not seem shocked or surprised when searching/when he was found.
I get the sense that the Petito family would have preferred a trial. Accountability and all that.

Bertolino's (Non) Testimony?
Motion to Compel Bertolino's testimony filed late yesterday afternoon.

Page 2: SB deposed on 10/17 and refused to answer questions about BL's conversations with him, citing privilege

Page 3: BL confessed therefore he waived the privilege which belongs to him, not SB so SB must be compelled to testify

Page 4: SB asserted the privilege for himself to prevent disclosing what he knew at the time he made his statements in September 2021

petito-attorney-files-motion-to-force-testimony-of-laundrie-attorney-steven-bertolino
<modsnip: not an approved source>jmo
@Jurisprudence Thank you very much for your post w summary of points in that motion.
Very interesting issue.

If the wfla.com Oct 26 story had an image of or a link to the motion itself, I missed it.
Anyone have a link to Motion to Compel Bertolino's Testimony? TiA.

Bertolino's (Non) Testimony?

@Jurisprudence Thank you very much for your post w summary of points in that motion.
Very interesting issue.

If the wfla.com Oct 26 story had an image of or a link to the motion itself, I missed it.
Anyone have a link to Motion to Compel Bertolino's Testimony? TiA.

Here.

Attachments

• petito motion to compel bertolino testimony-text.pdf
    250.9 KB · Views: 15
And here's Bertolino's response and affidavit.

Attachments

• bertolino response to petito motion to compel bertolino testimony-text.pdf
    136.8 KB · Views: 19
  • bertolino affidavit re attorney client privilege.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
Here’s who Gabby Petito’s family plans to call as witnesses in civil trial against Laundries
https://8.wfla.com/46q6rS3 | @WFLAJB

WITNESS LIST: The legal team for #GabbyPetito’s family have released the list of witnesses they intend to call in the civil trial against #BrianLaundrie’s parents and attorney in May.The list includes FBI agents, detectives in NY & FL, reporters, AT&T, attorneys, and more.

1700663266527.png

1700663288243.png
1700663322567.png

1700663362588.png
1700663201131.png

Here’s who Gabby Petito’s family plans to call as witnesses in civil trial against Laundries
https://8.wfla.com/46q6rS3 | @WFLAJB

WITNESS LIST: The legal team for #GabbyPetito’s family have released the list of witnesses they intend to call in the civil trial against #BrianLaundrie’s parents and attorney in May.The list includes FBI agents, detectives in NY & FL, reporters, AT&T, attorneys, and more.
I'm curious about the "Legal Ethics Advisor to Lawyers". Did Bertalino do something unethical?

Edit: Adding Roy D. Simon's LinkedIn page quote...
"My practice is limited to advising lawyers and law firms on matters of professional conduct and to serving as an expert witness in cases alleging legal malpractice, breach of fiduciary duty, or other issues regarding the professional conduct of lawyers."
One of his books is here.

Last edited:
I'm curious about the "Legal Ethics Advisor to Lawyers". Did Bertalino do something unethical?

Edit: Adding Roy D. Simon's LinkedIn page quote...
"My practice is limited to advising lawyers and law firms on matters of professional conduct and to serving as an expert witness in cases alleging legal malpractice, breach of fiduciary duty, or other issues regarding the professional conduct of lawyers."
One of his books is here.

Perhaps he is intended to address the ethics of violating client attorney priviledge as well as representing two clients in an overlapping matter.

We have talked extensively about Anne Taylor and if she violated any ethics because her office represented one or more of the victims parents in the Moscow murders and this seems a lot more intertwined than that.

A big question for me is if Bertalino had been retained by BL before he made the statement on behalf of the parents hoping Gabby would soon be found and reunited with her family. If he BL had told him he'd killed Gabby, that may violate ethics.

He has always stuck me as someone who liked attention and after it was disclosed that he was representing BL, it struck me as odd that he continued to represent his parents in some capacity as well, even as late as when he spoke about the parents knowing where BL's body would be found.

Last edited:
They knew she was dead, but perhaps not how.

Not sure that knowledge comes with any legal obligation to the Petitos, but we shall in time see what the court says.

Obstruction of justice?

Wasting LE time/taxpayer money for searches while knowing where Gabby's body was?

Paying for a defense attorney yet claiming you don't know anything?

The situation was even sadder than I thought.

jmho ymmv lrr

Obstruction of justice?

Wasting LE time/taxpayer money for searches while knowing where Gabby's body was?

Paying for a defense attorney yet claiming you don't know anything?

The situation was even sadder than I thought.

jmho ymmv lrr
The FBI had to have had all of this information, but they did not charge the Ls with anything criminal. So perhaps their role was below the threshold into criminal, but I bet the FBI suggested the Ps file a civil suit with the evidence they gave them. Jmo.

They knew she was dead, but perhaps not how.

Not sure that knowledge comes with any legal obligation to the Petitos, but we shall in time see what the court says.
They may not have known the exact method that Brian used to murder Gabby, but IMO it's now clear that the Laundrie's knew that he killed her. Not only did they become aware of her death even earlier than was generally supposed but they also seem to have had at least a general idea of the location of her body.

From the article:
  • Laundrie told his parents in a “frantic” phone call on Aug. 29, 2021, “that Gabby was ‘gone’ and he needed a lawyer
  • Laundrie’s parents relayed that information to Bertolino...That same day, Bertolino entered into a fee agreement with Fleener Peterson LLC, a criminal defense firm in Laramie, a six-hour drive from where Petito’s remains were found.
  • Bertolino confirmed to Fox News Digital Friday that he collected a $25,000 retainer from the Laundries and used it to pay Fleener Peterson.
  • Bertolino also contacted other firms in the state, including a public defender in Teton County, where Petito’s remains were recovered Sept. 19, 2021

Or does someone have an alternate explanation for why the Laundrie's would pay a $25,000 retainer to hire a defense attorney in Wyoming before the Petito's even knew that Gabby was missing?

The FBI had to have had all of this information, but they did not charge the Ls with anything criminal. So perhaps their role was below the threshold into criminal, but I bet the FBI suggested the Ps file a civil suit with the evidence they gave them. Jmo.
I seriously doubt the FBI advises anyone to file a civil lawsuit against someone else.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member