Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #32

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly, you couldn't ask for a better diversion, and I am not buying it either. You're spot on about the makeover as well. IMHO, BL is hoping that they will give up searching and assume he was eaten by an alligator. Whatever money and resources he had must be running low by now, and it will be difficult for him to get more. He'll turn up alive and looking for food or handouts. But where? He could be absolutely anywhere by now. MOO
Yes, I will give them that the "alligators ate BL!" in the swamp was clever.
However, thumbing your nose at the FBI, being the reason $$$$$$$$$$$ is being spent on a manhunt, not to mention the pain inflicted on Gabby's family....isn't a good look. Foolish, foolish people.

You can run BL, but you can't hide. Lot's of very angry people looking for this joker, and whatever happens his parents will have to live with it.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Regarding the 'fraud'/ credit card thing. Seems obvious to me that the motivation of the charge is less likely about the so-called alleged crime itself and more about a means to an end. (Yeah, I know, Captain Obvious). But, if I read the thing correctly, Laundrie is said to have had the PIN. So, someone had to give him the PIN, no? (Unless, the belief is that he hacked it.) Would that not dilute the claim that he was unauthorized?

If he could potentially use Gabby’s thumb/finger/faceprint, the banking apps I know of and use have a button you can click in the “Cards” section that shows the PIN to the user, once one of those IDs is used.

If BL was responsible for Gabby's death, AND had the foresight to take her took her credit cards/money, AND stuck around the area long enough to hitchhike with several people for whatever reason, I think there's reason to believe he could also be clear-thinking enough to also have planned some type of successful getaway, too. Clearly not foolproof as there's evidence of him using her card and crossing with the van into North Port, but there's enough that's happened afterwards to make me lean towards someone who was not remorseful. That makes me lean towards him still being alive.

I really, really, really want him to be found, though. There's laundry to be done around these parts! :p

Yeah that is all great and damning for an internet forum, but if they are unable to establish time of death and manner of death, there is a lot they have to present to convince a jury of murder. They need to prove he was there when she died. And sadly the crime scene had weeks of exposure to the elements and wildlife. Also bear in mind the amount of ammunition his defence will have that any jury will be tainted.

At this stage, do i think he did, absolutely. But Im on an internet forum. A jury needs a lot more for beyond reasonable doubt. Which is why I assume they are being very quiet, and this potential hitchhike stories will be very relevant.

But they *have* established the manner of death. Homicide. They are also narrowing down the window for her time of death rather well if you ask me.

With regard to cause of death, I am assuming they're holding that close to their vest for now. After all, they don't have BL in custody yet, and they will not want to release that information and jeopardize the integrity of the investigation before questioning him.

I'm still not getting what you're trying to say because all of the circumstantial evidence so far is pointing towards his involvement and his consciousness of guilt. His behaviour and actions support this. Especially his going on the lam. I have seen nothing yet which has introduced reasonable doubt or a plausible explanation for his actions. And now a grand jury has indicted him with a federal crime connected to her death. JMO

They can still plead the 5th and refuse to answer questions, no one can force you to speak and the constitution protects you from self-incriminating statements, however they can be compelled to appear.
Thanks. I was going to reply this. Just FYI to everyone- every person can the plead the 5th, in any circumstance, regardless if they are witnesses to a case or the defendant in a criminal case. The 5th amendment gives everyone the right to not self incriminate. They can absolutely plead the 5th, especially if they were involved and knew more about the case then they have said, if they answer they would be implicating themselves and thus can plead the 5th.

Family is exempt from what? Can you please cite this statute? I mean, are you saying that in the state of Florida you can aid and abet felony murder and/or be an accessory to felony murder after the fact and it's legal if you're related to the person?

prosecution for accessory after the fact.
I'm certain that someone posted yesterday that the parent/child law in FL does not include murder. I know that is not the current charge, but I think we can expect that to be forthcoming.

The only exception in FL if I'm not mistaken is (child abuse, or murder of a child)

He would have been smarter, to hitchhike back to Florida, leave van and say that they broke up and he left. But hey, its not smart to murder so I guess he isn't smart

I think that may have been his original plan before the rational mind kicked in and he realised it’d never wash, and that here was maybe too much evidence tying him to the van and her body both being there than he thought he could adequately counter with alibis.

He doesn’t have to say anything. His attorney will give all possible other things that could have happened. One of them could be such a scenario. Jury would have to decide if there is reasonable doubt he broke law. Will be instructed that his silence not to be used against him. Leaving a dead body and not reporting it not illegal even.
As for van and cards , he likely did use them as his all of the time through mutual agreement. I know a lot of couples who pool resources and don’t bother to put things in both names and they don’t think a thing about both using. It’s not unusual. Who among us have not used family member credit card or lent ours out for reason?
True story here: Cousins aunt died while cousin out of town doing stuff for aunt and paying for it with aunts credit card as well as travel and hotel expenses. Aunt died that morning and in this little town word travels fast and they closed down accounts quickly but charges went through after death. And, yes, it caused issues , though resolved since no fraud was intended snd no one wanted to go after cousin. But it was an issue. Apparently a hard and fast rule that you can’t use US bank funds of deceased even with permission prior without specific set up of account
Just because people do it and are comfortable doing it, doesn’t make it legal

no. Unless it was a joint account with his name on it, if the account holder dies someone cannot access that account in the days after death. Black-and-white.

Ok, Im not sure if people are not reading what I said. Black and white for a fraud case about using someones card yes. Guilty.

But if Im sitting in a jury, I would need alot more for a murder case. If a defence presented a pattern of use on the card, or a disgruntled ex who took they card cause they felt they were owed. Id be like sure thats stealing, but Im not going to vote guilty cause a card was used. A jury needs more for murder. Well I would if I was on the jury. And yes I get there is so much more evidence, and in combination it amounts to guilt. But in my belief unless they can establish time of death, and manner of death, the card is not going to convict him.

Do I think he did. Yes of course, but im on an internet forum not a jury.

What I don't understand is why people are only just coming forward NOW about it.

Does that not seem suspicious to you!? This case has been making the news worldwide for 2 weeks now.

It just seems slightly odd to me that someone would only just recall that they picked up BL at the time this all happened..

JMO

My understanding is that these witnesses went to LE first, and in a timely manner.

I think it would just as difficult for him in Canada or Mexico as it would be trying to hide in the US. He has no documents, no money, and can't be helped by friends or family.

He is basically going to live like a suburban Racoon- steal at night and hide in the day.

Very well said.

With no support in Canada and living like a "suburban racoon (excellent analogy) in either place, he would be better off staying home.

Then factor in subtle covid and other cultural differences. In most of the US, people habitually ignoring laxly enforced covid regs don't attract attention. Is that true in Canada? Warmer weather in the US also makes "racoon life" easier.

I am thinking shave mustache and beard. Grow hair, maybe dye it- nothing extreme, just move to a deeper brown or lighter red.

Then.... head to a place in the US where huge numbers of homeless and semi homeless transients live a "racoon life" between shelters, odd jobs and shop lifting type theft.

Factor in an over loaded police force which has been instructed not to actively enforce a number of laws- including theft, San Francisco or Seattle are ideal travel destinations. Tens of thousands of like minded people cant be wrong.

Last edited:
In the motion for the detention hearing, prosecutors state that there is a "serious risk" that the "defendant will flee" as well as a "serious risk for obstruction of justice."

"The court should detain the Defendant because there are no conditions of release which will reasonably assure" Laundrie's appearance in court or the "safety of any other person and the community," according to the motion.

A pre-trial hearing in the case would allow prosecutors to argue that Laundrie should be detained immediately when and if investigators find him.

The motion requesting the detention hearing was filed on the same day that Wyoming's District Court issued an arrest warrant for Laundrie in connection with the disappearance and death of Petito, 22.
Federal prosecutors want to hold a hearing to detain Laundrie — even though investigators don't know where he is

I wonder if this is part of the reason the Laundries went to Orlando.

They probably really need some legal advice about what (if anything) they should be doing about these various proceedings against BL. If he should have a legal representative assigned to him, in absentia.

If so, I imagine that their Long Island attorney helped facilitate that. This kind of advice would likely be way outside of his own knowledge base (judging by the qualifiers on his website).

But they *have* established the manner of death. Homicide. They are also narrowing down the window for her time of death rather well if you ask me.

With regard to cause of death, I am assuming they're holding that close to their vest for now. After all, they don't have BL in custody yet, and they will not want to release that information and jeopardize the integrity of the investigation before questioning him.

I'm still not getting what you're trying to say because all of the circumstantial evidence so far is pointing towards his involvement and his consciousness of guilt. His behaviour and actions support this. Especially his going on the lam. I have seen nothing yet which has introduced reasonable doubt or a plausible explanation for his actions. And now a grand jury has indicted him with a federal crime connected to her death. JMO

Yeah is homicide, but they haven't established (publically) how she died. Homicide is that she didn't take her life, or it was not an accident. It doesn't establish how. I assume they know and just not saying.

I think he drove the van back to FL alone. If his parents were driving, they wouldn't have needed to use GP's debit card. Plus, there would be some kind of record for them traveling (flight tickets, gas purchases, etc.) to WY first. IMO, he got out of Dodge and beelined it for home.
Hmmmmm . . They must have security cam photos from gas stations otherwise they couldn’t have brought charges, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member