Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #84

Status
Not open for further replies.

PommyMommy

#ShinelikeShanann
Reaction score
Missing woman disappears after road trip with boyfriend as mom reveals message to authorities

Gabby Petito, 22, set out on a road trip with her boyfriend in a converted camper van in early July to tour National Parks, but she disappeared in late August and her family hasn't heard from her in more than two weeks. Now, her mother is pleading for help finding her daughter.

Nicole Schmidt, Petito's mother, said that the last verbal conversation she had with her daughter was on Aug. 25.

"I don't know if she left Grand Teton or not," Schmidt said. "I did receive a text from her on the 27th and the 30th, but I don't know if it was technically her or not, because it was just a text. I didn't verbally speak to her."

[...]

The couple stopped in Grand Teton National Park on Aug. 25, Petito's last known location, before a planned trip to Yellowstone. They were traveling in a 2012 Ford white van that was converted into a camper.

[...]

A spokesperson for the Jackson Police Department said that an "attempt to locate" call was recently filed for Petito. The Suffolk County Police Department is also investigating the case. Suffolk County PD declined to comment on Sunday.

Petito is 5’5" and has blonde hair and blue eyes. She has a triangle tattoo with flowers on her left arm and a "Let it be" tattoo on her right arm.

Anyone who has seen Gabby or has any information on the case should contact the Suffolk County Police Department at 1-800-220-8477.

MEDIA, MAPS thread *NO DISCUSSION*

TIMELINE thread *NO DISCUSSION*

Case Players and Initials Reference List

Kick Back and Unwind - Off Topic Side Chat

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9 Thread #10 Thread #11 Thread #12 Thread #13 Thread #14 Thread #15 Thread #16 Thread #17 Thread #18 Thread #19 Thread #20 Thread #21 Thread #22 Thread #23 Thread #24 Thread #25 Thread #26 Thread #27 Thread #28 Thread #29 Thread #30 Thread #31 Thread #32 Thread #33 Thread #34 Thread #35 Thread #36 Thread #37 Thread #38 Thread #39 Thread #40 Thread #41 Thread #42 Thread #43 Thread #44 Thread #45 Thread #46 Thread #47 Thread #48 Thread #49 Thread #50 Thread #51 Thread #52 Thread #53 Thread #54 Thread #55 Thread #56 Thread #57 Thread #58 Thread #59 Thread #60 Thread #61 Thread #62 Thread #63 Thread #64 Thread #65 Thread #66 Thread #67 Thread #68 Thread #69 Thread #70 Thread #71 Thread #72 Thread #73 Thread #74 Thread #75 Thread #76 Thread #77 Thread #78 Thread #79 Thread #80 Thread #81
Thread #82 Thread #83

Last edited by a moderator:
STOP HERE FIRST
———————————————
Mod Note:
Websleuths has 100’s of active threads, and nearly 200k members. With only a few volunteer Mods/Admins we need your help in keeping Gabby’s threads relative, civil, and engaging. Following the rules that are clearly outlined below will support the Mod Team and enhance your experience and interactions with fellow Posters.

The Rules:
-Domestic Violence Discussions/Debates are not permitted
-The Moab Traffic Stop is no longer open for dissecting (there are 76 threads filled with this info).
-Mental Health is not permitted
-Moab double murders are not permitted unless LE were to change position at some point
-No Bickering (Ignore or “Roll and Scroll”)
-Do not suggest Gabby died by anything other than what the ME has stated (Manual Strangulation)
-Do not Trash Brians parents (You can share opinions or perspectives of events, but rise above the rest. They have not been named POI’s in the case. Stick to what is known / has been reported.)
-Any other rules as outlined in TOS

Tip: Notice if you are posting about the case or about other Posters. Posting about other Posters is off topic. This can show up in the following ways:
-“I don’t know why others……”
-Party X or Party Y “Sympathizers”
-“Some Posters…”
-“Everybody keeps ……”

In a nutshell, be aware of what the intent is behind your post. Is it to bash fellow posters or is it to discuss the case?

Thank you for your help and support!

Tiff

Last edited:
I could use some help, please.

Does anyone have access to GP’s Instagram photos? I would need you to post the actual photos, not links to Instagram.

I would like to review any photos posted between 8/12 and 8/17. I am particularly interested in reviewing the ‘van’ post(s) from after they left arches.

@CarolynAB2 and @Sassafrass you were super helpful to me with my Instagram photo needs in November. Maybe one of you would be able to help me out again?

Anyone who can help, I’d be very grateful. Thank you.

edit to add- I just realized that the photos I am looking for may actually be on BL’s Instagram, same dates.

Last edited:
I could use some help, please.

Does anyone have access to GP’s Instagram photos? I would need you to post the actual photos, not links to Instagram.

I would like to review any photos posted between 8/12 and 8/17. I am particularly interested in reviewing the ‘van’ post(s) from after they left arches.

@CarolynAB2 and @Sassafrass you were super helpful to me with my Instagram photo needs in November. Maybe one of you would be able to help me out again?

Anyone who can help, I’d be very grateful. Thank you.

edit to add- I just realized that the photos I am looking for may actually be on BL’s Instagram, same dates.

Unfortunately BL’s instagram was deleted a while back. I’m sure someone has the photographs somewhere, many appeared in press or on various sites. Sorry I can’t be of much help though.

Brian Laundrie's family hid the fact that he may have been armed because they didn't want the 'public going into a frenzy,' lawyer says

Steven Bertolino, an attorney for the Laundrie family, told Insider' Natalie Musumeci on Tuesday that on the same day Laundrie was reported missing — September 17 — his parents had also surrendered five or six guns they stored in their home, but one was missing.

It is not clear whether Laundrie took the missing gun, or whether it was the one he used to kill himself.

Bertolino told DailyMail that the family didn't want to disclose this earlier because they didn't want the information to cause panic.

"We didn't want the public going into a frenzy on that," Bertolino told DailyMail.com. "I don't think they considered him dangerous to anybody he met on the street."

ME:
Not dangerous? Depressed carrying around a gun, shooting himself. Should have been known to the public.

Last edited:
Brian Laundrie's family hid the fact that he may have been armed because they didn't want the 'public going into a frenzy,' lawyer says

Steven Bertolino, an attorney for the Laundrie family, told Insider' Natalie Musumeci on Tuesday that on the same day Laundrie was reported missing — September 17 — his parents had also surrendered five or six guns they stored in their home, but one was missing.

Thanks for the post. I'm confused. Did they hide this info from the cops? The article is super vague.

Edit: The original article is even more vague.

Last edited:

It is not clear whether Laundrie took the missing gun, or whether it was the one he used to kill himself.

Bertolino told DailyMail that the family didn't want to disclose this earlier because they didn't want the information to cause panic.

"We didn't want the public going into a frenzy on that," Bertolino told DailyMail.com. "I don't think they considered him dangerous to anybody he met on the street."

ME:
Not dangerous? Depressed carrying around a gun, shooting himself. Should have been known to the public.

I don't think it was up to the Laundries to make an announcement to the public one way or the other. That's the job of LE. I don't know why LE didn't say anything except that I expect SB was right-- not even LE thought he was a danger to the public. And LE must have thought he was in the swamp because they kept looking there, not looking for him running around on the street or on the AT.

JMO

Thanks for the post. I'm confused. Did they hide this info from the cops? The article is super vague.

Good question.

Did they hide it from the cops that a gun was missing? If so that is lying to the cops. It would be lying to tell the cops "here are all of our guns" when one is missing.

So then did they tell the cops one was missing but not to tell the public? Seems like something the cops would tell the public.

Hummm........Maybe we will find better information on it.

Considering the searchers all turned up in body armor and heavily armed to search an extremely hot and muggy swamp area, I would say it is highly likely that the police knew BL was armed from talking to his parents the night before. What LE didn't know was if BL took the gun to commit suicide or if he was planning on suicide by LE or if he took the gun to protect himself from wildlife.

I don't think it was up to the Laundries to make an announcement to the public one way or the other. That's the job of LE. I don't know why LE didn't say anything except that I expect SB was right-- not even LE thought he was a danger to the public. And LE must have thought he was in the swamp because they kept looking there, not looking for him running around on the street or on the AT.

JMO

Seems like it would have been put out there that he is possibly armed, and to not approach him. I do not think it would have caused panic.

But, unless the L's didn't disclose the missing gun, seems LE wanted the missing gun kept private. That they felt there was a good reason to do so.

What we know now makes that seem strange to me.

Found this interesting article today. "Kaplan said he believes investigators may be looking into whether anyone helped Laundrie escape police surveillance and stay hidden." I wonder if LE has video of BL coming out of the Laundrie house and driving off in the Mustang. We had the story that BL's father allegedly went to search for him the evening BL went hiking and also the next day but supposedly didn't find him. Was CL really searching for BL or was he doing something else? Of note, the experts in this article also question if someone else was involved in Gabby's murder. Finally the article mentions no gun was found with BL's remains which may not be unusual due to the flooding. IMO this article will result in lots of locals searching for the gun. :
Two local experts intrigued by what's not in Brian Laundrie's autopsy report

Found this interesting article today. "Kaplan said he believes investigators may be looking into whether anyone helped Laundrie escape police surveillance and stay hidden." So, we had the story that BL's father went to search for him the evening BL went hiking and also the next day. Was CL really searching for BL or was he doing something else? Of note, they also question if someone else was involved in Gabby's murder and mention no gun was found with BL's remains.:
Best Air Fryer Black Friday 2021 Deals & Sales

Hummm.......I bet the gun was stolen.

Good question.

Did they hide it from the cops that a gun was missing? If so that is lying to the cops. It would be lying to tell the cops "here are all of our guns" when one is missing.

So then did they tell the cops one was missing but not to tell the public? Seems like something the cops would tell the public.

Hummm........Maybe we will find better information on it.
I’m trying to find it but SB said BL owned a gun. The L’s could have given LE all their guns and been technically truthful in not saying any we’re missing. They may or may not have known BL owned his own gun and if it was missing or with him.

Considering the searchers all turned up in body armor and heavily armed to search an extremely hot and muggy swamp area, I would say it is highly likely that the police knew BL was armed from talking to his parents the night before. What LE didn't know was if BL took the gun to commit suicide or if he was planning on suicide by LE or if he took the gun to protect himself from wildlife.

Yes, I agree. We just don't know. There are so many unanswered questions.

I also think the Laundries realized they could remain silent but could not lie to LE, so I think they told them the truth. That's the benefit of having an attorney as a close friend of the family.

I wonder when the Laundries realized the gun was missing? I'm from down south and most folks, not all, keep their guns in closets or out-of-sight places.

JMO
With respect you do not know what LE thought. They may have spent so much money on finding him in the swamp precisely because he had a gun. IMO.

On the previous thread someone asked what is the significance of the alleged bullet holes at Gabby's crime scene.

I think it is most likely that they were from hunters since they were camped on a legal hunting ground, however, what if some are not? What if some can be tied back to BL? If they are related, then it is possible that they paint a completely different picture of what happened. Another thing to consider is the we don't have Gabby's full autopsy results. We know she died of manual strangulation/throttling. We don't know what other injuries she may have had or the nature of those injuries.

<modsnip> There is the photo of what many think is BL's bedroom where a gun is on display. There is also the photo of Gabby holding what appears to be a gun. Based upon that, it is likely he was carrying during the trip with Gabby.
Sleuths think Gabby Petito may be holding GUN in photo as cops hunt fiancé

IMO, the FBI would be working to discern if any bullet holes proximal to Gabby's remains might be related to whatever happened or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
With respect you do not know what LE thought. They may have spent so much money on finding him in the swamp precisely because he had a gun. IMO.

Neither of us knows what LE thought. My post made it clear I was stating my opinion. And we DO know LE never made an announcement to the public saying he was armed and dangerous. So either LE didn't know he was armed (extremely unlikely IMO and apparently in yours too) OR they didn't consider him dangerous to the public,especially while in the swamp. (Or I guess it's barely possible LE didn't want to cause a panic. I don't find that idea credible myself.)
Again, JMO

Last edited:
All of the drama in Florida happened within less than 72 hours and it happened before Gabby's remains were found and even before the warrant for bank fraud was released on BL.

GP was reported missing on the 11th.
BL was last seen alive on the 13th.

I think where the cops are concerned we are viewing everything with too much hindsight. IMO everyone, including the cops, were flying by the seat of their pants in the first few days. They did not put out an "armed and dangerous" warning to the public at that time because they weren't even sure if a violent crime had been committed. Then at some point, for some reason we do not know, they became convinced he was dead, thus the endless searches in the Carlton Reserve. JMO

(These dates are also important IMO because it doesn't give the Laundries much time for skulduggery.)

Last edited:
On the previous thread someone asked what is the significance of the alleged bullet holes at Gabby's crime scene.

I think it is most likely that they were from hunters since they were camped on a legal hunting ground, however, what if some are not? What if some can be tied back to BL? If they are related, then it is possible that they paint a completely different picture of what happened. Another thing to consider is the we don't have Gabby's full autopsy results. We know she died of manual strangulation/throttling. We don't know what other injuries she may have had or the nature of those injuries.

We do know from people who worked with BL at Publix that he allegedly had a concealed carry weapon license and was often armed at work. There is the photo of what many think is BL's bedroom where a gun is on display. There is also the photo of Gabby holding what appears to be a gun. Based upon that, it is likely he was carrying during the trip with Gabby.
Sleuths think Gabby Petito may be holding GUN in photo as cops hunt fiancé

IMO, the FBI would be working to discern if any bullet holes proximal to Gabby's remains might be related to whatever happened or not.

bbm
I must have missed this. Where/when was this reported?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23