Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the TicToK may have dropped him off near to the camping area...

the 25th or 26th Victor store guy has me questioning if they could not find camping spots except at the dispersed area since the 25th was a crowded free day per the person who saw van at penny lake.

She was deliberately using The Dryt app to find free dispersed campsites. She was not looking to stay in regular park campgrounds. They had done this the entire trip, except for the SLC motel. And yes, Wednesday Aug 25th was a free entrance day so the park might have had more traffic and congestion than usual.

The number of people using free, dispersed campsites and the number of websites that are devoted to them has skyrocketed with the number of people traveling in RV's, trailers, vans, and tent camping. First of all, the demand for in-park campsites has overwhelmed most parks as everyone felt they had to finally bust out of COVID confinement and get into some space. And most people go to parks to find peace and beauty and the crowded and rather noisy in-park campgrounds don't afford the same experience as dispersed camping. And you save money.

i honestly believe there is no end in site for them. It’s just ever evolving. I also don’t buy any of this fleeing the country talk. How could he survive in another country alone at his age and with his means. I don’t have faith I could even accomplish that. Sounds scarier than living in jail.

If he was able to flee to another country (with extradition) his parents could send him money without being worried possibly, although would that be aiding and abetting? It seems whatever idea they have come up with they had a lot of time to plan.

Ok, so a map I observed of all the timeline that has a dot on California was only presumed based on the context of the message and not by gps location ? ok, Then the WY focus would make sense.

I only suggested that because it would seem impossible for the van to be in California on Sept 30th and arrive in Florida by Sept 1st. For that to be true then Gabby's phone would have to be separated from the van. In what circumstances could that occur ?

The assumption is that the California ref. is inconsequential and the current focus around the lake area is due to validated information. Can we assume that there is a strong indication that Gabby's personal items or by witness report was identified in the current focus area ?

This was posted upthread

upload_2021-9-18_20-45-57.png

https://nypost.com/wp-content/uploa...etito-Map-update-2-2.jpg?quality=90&strip=all

Those little triangles are campsites. The campsites are numbered. It's possible you have to get a permit for the exact number. If one or both of the pair were overnighting at one of those campsites, LE would know because they would have had to register all their ID information. Rangers at National Parks keep track of everyone in the backcountry. Rangers sometimes come by to make sure you aren't building fires, "leave no trace", etc. Plus, other campers keep an eye on things (experienced folks are very particular about how the backcountry is treated, so everyone can enjoy it).
I've been in a situation where all backcountry overnighters (including the resident Ranger) had to leave Sequoia NPbecause of a series of blizzards (in early September!). A helicopter came by regularly as we hauled ourselves over a high pass above treeline, with a Ranger hanging out the door counting everyone, to be sure that everyone got out. They were missing one backpacker registered to that area, which caused some concern.
Long and short: NPS has information on whoever was in the Grand Teton backcountry overnight. Maybe even just day hikes (in wilderness areas, you're required to register at the trailhead and carry a ticket on your pack, even just for the day, but I don't know if this is true for National Parks).
And yeah, if they're pointing to a cluster of campsites, they have quite a bit of info from various sources.
Now I'm reviewing my comment here. I assumed these were backcountry spots that you have to hike to. There's no key for that map. I suppose that's a dirt road and not a trail? That black pentagon on the map might be a ranger cabin? You might have to hike in just a little bit.
My notes above still apply in the sense that I don't think these spots would be entirely unsupervised. This is a busy area. Partying will be unwelcome. Fires may be prohibited (they have been prohibited for years in some national forests). People are looky-loos when it comes to neighboring campers (I once camped next to some hippies in at Dinosaur National Monument; they were in a decrepit old ice cream truck and had brought a trampoline with them; they were REALLY bad singers. My other neighbors were older, drove a motorhome, and had brought a glider on a special trailer.) People notice if you leave a mess. If you have kids running around...

I'm baffled for the need to empty the storage locker at all. The home wasn't being sold. They intended to return from their trip. It makes no sense to me. JMO

My thought was maybe he moved all of his belongings into the storage locker when they left. Since he was coming back home to live, he moved his belongings back into the house to use them. Maybe since it is a small house his parents wanted to use the now empty room for something else so he agreed to move their stuff out.

Given that her parents don't have their daughter, don't know where she is or what happened to her, but know that Brian does know but has refused to say, and that his parents have abetted & joined in that silence, sad for sure isn't my primary emotion here....

I understand. But, for me after so many decades of life on this earth, I try hard not to hate or become too angry. I am not always successful. I sincerely hope Brian faces up to what he has done soon. That running away is not the answer. Right now by running he is only creating more pain. I hope he is not suicidal, and the truth finally comes out.

She said he said his name was Brian, & that his girlfriend/fiance (however he termed it) was somewhere else working on her social media site. Of course we can't be certain the man in the car was *our* Brian, but imho it's a pretty sure bet. Only LE can determine that. I found her absolutely believable. But then, I've been fooled before by liars.
Just wondering... if you'd JUST done something regrettable, like murder someone, leave them somewhere hurt, whatever, and you're stealthily trying to make a get away, WHY would you give out your real name and anything resembling the truth of your life to random strangers you're bumming a ride from???

Oh wow, solid point. I wonder how they know he was clearing out a storage space. I hadn't thought about that, if it was directly from her before she disappeared, or from somewhere else entirely.

The information about the storage unit comes from Mike Schmidt, Gabby's uncle, on Gabby's family's web page. I don't know what his evidence is. But we do know that Gabby stayed in a SLC hotel for multiple days during the same time, which was not characteristic of her.

Now I'm wondering if she didn't tell her family (or at least one person) what had happened. She didn't like to drive the van so she stayed put. Then they made up and Brian flew back.

I trust that LE has investigated storage unit records.

Help me out here, I’m trying to think of BL parents end game, he cannot be on the lam forever. The best I can think of is getting him to a country without extradition?
Regardless, the way things are looking to me they seem to treading a thin line with the law atm!
IMO their moves are all defensive: first keeping him away from police questioning and now, possibly, getting the media to lift the siege on their house.

Just speculating, but I think they're hoping nothing can be proved against BL, and it'll all die down.

I'm not sure they were expecting the circus of the search through the swamp. That's making the media even more engaged.

Last edited:
Oh wow, solid point. I wonder how they know he was clearing out a storage space. I hadn't thought about that, if it was directly from her before she disappeared, or from somewhere else entirely.

The information about the storage unit comes from Mike Schmidt, Gabby's uncle, on Gabby's family's web page. I don't know what his evidence is. But we do know that Gabby stayed in a SLC hotel for multiple days during the same time, which was not characteristic of her.

Now I'm wondering if she didn't tell her family (or at least one person) what had happened. She didn't like to drive the van so she stayed put. Then they made up and Brian flew back.

I trust that LE has investigated storage unit records.

I still think there is a good chance she DID go to Yosemite. I also think Brian's flight back home to the storage locker was to bring some camping and hiking gear back for Gabby. It was obvious their trip wasn't working out, so they probably decided to part ways. She would go off on the Pacific Crest Trail or something, and he would return the van, lawyer up, and enjoy the media frenzy.

She said it was the damn. She said he freaked out when he realized they were going to Jackson Hole (in other words, back up north).

Edit: they were going south but he was adamant to not return there and exited vehicle. Now FBI is looking East. They know something and I am more hopeful than I've been for 5 days.

Agree it was the Jackson Dam... I keep wondering if the van was in a nearby parking lot... The Spread Creek campsites is about 20 miles away from the Dam. We were speculating on the spread creek camping because people reported the van there. and it is East southeast of the Dam. So maybe they are searching this area....
still far to be on foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members