Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kind of believe that.
I have this friend who I know since 12, whose spouse thinks it's fun to take her phone and send everyone texts without her knowledge (to me, that's just weird) . I always figure out that it's him, every time. I don't know if it is the way he words he types or whatever. I just know.

So if the mom says it's not her, there might be a reason to it.
Yes, it’s not what was texted that is important but who sent it.

In his decades of police service and his time as Salt Lake City’s police chief, Chris Burbank said he knows these law enforcement officers have been working tirelessly to perfect the skills they are using in this investigation.

“While we should judge them and we should evaluate what they’re doing, we also need to allow them to do what they’re doing,” said Burbank.

Burbank had worked on multiple high-profile cases similar to the Petito-Laundrie investigation, including Utah’s Elizabeth Smart case back in 2002.

“Thousands of people calling and saying 'I saw him here,' or 'I saw them there,' and you have to sort through all of that because it’s irresponsible to pass up on the one that could be correct,” Burbank said.

One thing the general public often doesn’t realize, he said, is all the details that happen on the inside of an investigation and how complicated it can be.

“You want to put together a case that actually holds up in court," Burbank said. "If you jump over some steps, you potentially can lose that or allow someone down the line to plead guilty to a lesser charge than you want."

It’s something the North Port Police wanted to make clear early on in this investigation: Laundrie is a person of interest.

Burbank pointed out often police know someone had committed a crime but do not have the right evidence.

“If you just arrest somebody, there’s going to be a probable cause and they run the risk of potentially being released,” he said.
https://www.fox13now.com/news/local...ives-insight-on-petito-laundrie-investigation

sbm-edited to remove a double post
This tiktok thing reminds me of the thousands of tips that investigators must get after a missing person case goes national. The tipster know roughly where the victim disappeared (Wyoming/Yellowstone), knows the names of the victim and suspect (MSM), and was in the area in the same timeframe. The tipsters saw something or met someone, and convince themselves that it is related to the disappearance.

The difference here is that the tiktok woman is telling her story on tiktok - without any photos or other corroborating information. She called in a tip to FBI. That got her no where. She went to the media. Now we should accept this tip as fact?
I've always respected your opinions on this site, you've been here far longer than I have. If you think this tiktok siting is probably not true, as much as we'd all love to have it be true, I'm willing to treat as "interesting" and leave it at that. Sigh. Back to the drawing board.

Police Search Florida Wilderness for ‘Person of Interest’ in Van Mystery

Ms. Petito, the oldest of six siblings, had been working as a pharmacy technician to save money for the trip. She met Mr. Laundrie at Bayport-Blue Point High School on Long Island, Mr. Schmidt said. They began dating after graduation and moved two years ago to Florida, he said.

BBM.

That seems odd. First she's a nutritionist (at least a two-year degree) and now she's a pharmacy technician (requires certification.) But the only documented workplaces before they left on their trip are Publix, a juice bar, and (maybe) Taco Bell.

What do you mean by "that got her nowhere?"

This tiktok thing reminds me of the thousands of tips that investigators must get after a missing person case goes national. The tipster know roughly where the victim disappeared (Wyoming/Yellowstone), knows the names of the victim and suspect (MSM), and was in the area in the same timeframe. The tipsters saw something or met someone, and convince themselves that it is related to the disappearance.

The difference here is that the tiktok woman is telling her story on tiktok - without any photos or other corroborating information. She called in a tip to FBI. That got her no where. She went to the media. Now we should accept this tip as fact?

IMO, we're not "starting a narrative".

One or both of her bio parents said they were dialing back on their relationship and were no longer engaged.

Maybe Gabby told them a white lie, but we're not making it up.

This is the case: they called their engagement off. And then it was on again - at least definitionally - when they got pulled over.

I don't mean I think the report was false. I think he really did run away on Tuesday and his parents are concerned since he is out of touch. I just wonder if LE took advantage of immediately declaring him a "missing person" so they could get the records. Within hours they were able to get his digital records and track exactly where his phone pinged over the past month without needing a warrant.

I can't imagine finding someone who is hiding, not missing, would justify the response otherwise.

BBM: Wouldn't you?

IMO, this is one of those instances where I think fictional cop shows get it exactly right/true to life. I'd take any loophole too!

That seems odd. First she's a nutritionist (at least a two-year degree) and now she's a pharmacy technician (requires certification.) But the only documented workplaces before they left on their trip are Publix, a juice bar, and (maybe) Taco Bell.
It is indeed a bit confusing. Publix does have a pharmacy though, so it isn't entirely out of the realm.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just pay the storage fee and wait til they got home to clean it out than purchase cross-country airfare to do it??
Not to mention the cost of the hotel for 5-6 nights for Gabby! A financial motive doesn't make sense to me. It seems likely to me that it was an excuse to go back to FL for some other reason.

I've considered similar, and I think others have too. Particularly because if he hiked with her to get someplace 1) remote and 2) away from the van, then he doesn't have to worry about transporting her body after the fact.
I have such a hard time accepting it was premeditated. Just go home. There. Done. She’s out of your life. Plus, I don’t think he’s this much of a mastermind.

Any ideas if you can park overnight at the Dam....like at the Jenny Lake Parking Lot.

I don't think it's allowed, but that doesn't mean much. I don't know if LE checks all the cars every night. And even if they saw a car overnight, if no one was sleeping inside and it hadn't been there more than a night, they might not care.

I haven’t seen many people consider this… What if Gabby and Brian parked the van somewhere or even left it at the campsite while they went on a hike TOGETHER. Somewhere during the hike is when something happened to her (IMO he killed her). Then he continues along the trail until he reaches the showers/camp store where he showers to remove evidence then asks for a ride from the couple that drove him to the dam because he is trying to get back to the van. He realizes while in their vehicle that he is going to wrong direction, so he asks them to pull over. At this point he either hikes back to the van or manages to hitch another ride (if this is the case hopefully whoever picked him up comes forward). Once he reaches the van he packs everything up and heads back to FL in a hurry. I think they should check any and all trails near Colter Bay where is was picked up.
I've thought about this as well.

The flaw is, as someone who knows that area posted yesterday, the whole area is overrun with hikers this time of year. They didn't think there's anywhere a stranger/non-serious hiker, could go where other hikers wouldn't soon go too. Where do you hide a body?

Though, mention of the tarp by the ticktocker sends me a little alert: as a way to potentially move a body.

Interesting point I am hung up on, too. Who saw Brian in Florida at all in September? Yes, we have claims -- but we don't know if it is because he was actually seen in Florida (perhaps at the van traffic stop, but again, I cannot verify this) or because his parents said he was home and "not available." The sister who came out on TV also said she had not spoken to Brian since this incident happened. She did not elaborate. Is it possible she did not speak to him because he was "off the grid" then?

The sister definitely had some interesting things to say or not say as it were.

There's no such job title as nutritionist, no certificate or credentials. Instead, there are registered dieticians.

There was a best-seller about a decade ago written by someone who called herself a nutritionist. It turned out that she got a certificate after a short stint at a massage school.

I wish the original posts weren't truncated, because now I'm wondering where the "pharmacy technician" came in.

Something else I noticed while watching their videos, BL was eating with a plastic fork. He wouldn't take water from the police because it was in a plastic bottle but he will use a plastic fork to eat. Nothing really important, just interesting. I also have lit a candle for Gabby.
Something else I noticed while watching their videos, BL was eating with a plastic fork. He wouldn't take water from the police because it was in a plastic bottle but he will use a plastic fork to eat. Nothing really important, just interesting. I also have lit a candle for Gabby.
Funny you mentioned that I saw a photo where GP was eating with a fork and BL was eating with his fingers and where they were sharing some food, and thought it was so cute of him.

There must be some evidence of “danger” for them to be searching. They haven’t warned the public of any threat so it must be self harm.

The parents have shown concern only for Brian. If they called LE it was because of fear about Brian. It must have been convincing because they organized a pretty big search right away. I doubt they’re lying as they could have just continued in silence. You don’t have the FBI over & take that kind of risk.

I just hope he leaves a note or some info so she can be found.
I agree - I don’t think his parents are lying. I DO think they’ve made poor choices and are only considering their son’s welfare. I also think, deep down, that they really believe GP is beyond help, which is why they’ve shown no interest in finding her. IMO. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd