Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #13

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by PommyMommy, Sep 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WillieMac

WillieMac Chief Procrastinator Extraordinaire

That's what I thought I'd read. So that's the first thing on my list that we can not confirm.

Midori_Azul, Tutter, BeachSky and 8 others like this.

2. TeaTime

TeaTime Well-Known Member

The man has no story to explain why he arrived in FL without her. None.

Midori_Azul, 303gmf, pcap and 14 others like this.
  3. shelbycat

shelbycat Well-Known Member

me too. How hard would it be for LE to verify BL did actually board a domestic flight from SLC (or wherever in that area) to FL?

Not hard at all.

it’s just not been made public.

4. WillieMac

WillieMac Chief Procrastinator Extraordinaire

Do we *know* that he made that trip? (Honest question here)

303gmf, CalmSeas, LvsAMystry and 16 others like this.
  5. Kano

Kano Well-Known Member

i didn't even see that they had panels on their van. I saw what i thought was a roof fan but i didn't look very close. By the time i knew of the van it wasn't important and already in impound. So i just didn't check out their van build.

Marg from Oz likes this.
  6. Soulmagent

Soulmagent Well-Known Member

He hasn't told any story .None of this information has came from him . Miranda said he said it ,but maybe he said something about the vlog and she inferred incorrectly or was gathering tiny pieces of what he said and remembers only the jist of things . MB doesn't even know this guy.I dont- not believe her ,I think she is honestly portraying her view but I have a lot of these aged people around me and all of them relay the same story different ,I think age might even be irrelevant in this telephone game .
    In all honesty I really wonder if Gabby really enjoyed the dyrt life. I could see her being a person to park in a lot for the free wifi. Sounds crazy but the internet and wifi are peoples safe space these days. So maybe she planned her trip with that ideal , and he didnt ,he wanted to be offline and the only person to be there for here ,so when the friends birthday rolled around ,Gabby was probably excited and it hurt BL's feelings. Probably lots of ,it's just us now babe..etc..during the trip. However much she loved them or him or whatever ..giving up her safe space triggered her anxiety .
    Gabby has 6 siblings ,she is probably used to sacrifice ,aversion ,and compromise but I do believe she hit her limit with her and him and no wifi. All of this is speculation . I am not an expert of people this age ,nor do I know any people currently mentioned.

7. RyanCV

RyanCV Member

Thanks for posting. Can you comment on the bear threat, specifically in the area they were staying? I'm curious how the locals prepare for bear country everyday life?

CalmSeas, Marg from Oz, GRT and 3 others like this.
  8. otto

otto Verified Expert

Based on this timeline, where does he sleep-off 36-48 hours of being more or less awake in the wilderness after hiding a body?

Aug 27: last contact, snapchat (time unknown)
    Aug 27: suppose 9:00 PM, something goes wrong (early estimate)
    Aug 28: Gabby did not firm up plans to meet Birthday Girl at Yellowstone on Aug 29
    Aug 28: 9 PM, 24 hours later (hiding a body, resting without food, tent, water, sleeping bag)
    Aug 29: morning, missed friend's birthday plan
    Aug 29: 5:30 PM, 44.5 hours later, smelling clean, hitchhiked from tourist parking lot shower
    Aug 29: 6:07 PM: Where was he dropped off ?? Snake River Outlook?
    Aug 29: 9 PM, 48 hours later, he sleeps? Where ? In his tent ?
    Aug 30: heads to Florida
    Sept 1: arrives

If Brian is the hitchhiker, and he and Gabby hiked miles into the forest (away from their van), where did they park the van, and where did they intend to camp?

Based on roads provided in the last thread, is this a camp site? Was he dropped off at Snake River Overlook?

upload_2021-9-19_0-5-56.png

upload_2021-9-19_0-20-26.png

upload_2021-9-19_0-51-6.png

9. distracted

distracted Well-Known Member

I've been thinking a lot about that trip. It just seems weird. Why pay for airfare and for a hotel for Gabby just to move some things. And the cost doesn't justify the savings necessarily.

So, I'm leaning into it being an excuse to separate them for a few days because it was bad - tell Gabby he had to help his dad, when in reality he needed time away and/or his parents thought he needed time away. Plus, they may have wanted to lay eyes on him to determine whether he was ok.

10. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Forum Coordinator Staff Member Forum Coordinators

That’s the area he was picked up.

11. bambi_sue

bambi_sue Active Member

I would be practicing my highest level of bear aware camping in Spread Creek. Bear spray on my belt when outside the van, keep an eye on kids, and clean up food smells/keep food in hard sided containers, etc. I’d be a little less vigilant about the bear spray in a regular campground at/near the park. I would have bear spray and be loud (thanks to kids, I don’t have to worry about that part) on any hiking trail I was on.

That said, I’m a former NPS employee married to a Forest Ranger, so I’m pretty vigilant and rule-following.

12. Hyway

Hyway Well-Known Member

He wasn't with the van. He wasn't anywhere near the van. He was trying to get back to it. He got to that spot he got picked up somehow. One possibility is that he walked there from the dispersed campsite.

303gmf, SuziQ, Rose_Red and 8 others like this.
  13. bambibones

bambibones Well-Known Member

Snake river, maybe. Hiking? Probably not. Definitely not tarp camping for several days. He would have perished from hypothermia. So why should we believe he was hiking?

303gmf, Marmlet, MyTinkieGirl and 9 others like this.
  14. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Forum Coordinator Staff Member Forum Coordinators

I don’t believe he was hiking or camping with a tarp. That’s his alibi. Moo

Quiche, 303gmf, SuziQ and 33 others like this.
  15. jtfolden

jtfolden Well-Known Member

…except that was just a random ride with a stranger that he couldn’t have known would come to light later. Also, he made no real use of an alibi when it mattered. He returned to Florida and said nothing. He wouldn’t even talk to the cops, let alone explain why he returned alone.

16. otto

otto Verified Expert

Camping how long in the Wyoming woods?

Last contact with Gabby was snapchat with friend August 27, time unknown.

He was allegedly picked up hitchhiking at 5:44 PM on August 29, after apparently taking a 36-48 hour (?) solo overnight hiking trip while his girlfriend was doing social media at the van?

45 hours later? No girlfriend, no tent, no clothing, no food? No social media.

Where did he sleep over night on August 29 ?

17. bambibones

bambibones Well-Known Member

Snake river, maybe. Hiking? Probably not. Definitely not tarp camping for several days. He would have perished from hypothermia. So why should we believe he was hiking?

He was dropped off at the Jackson Lake Dam.

18. Satchie

Satchie Well-Known Member

IMO, it's very straightforward. If you come back after a fight and find your partner dead you call 911. If you find anyone injured or dead you call 911.

This business of running away and hiding behind lawyers is for people who have committed a crime. IMO, if you hadn't committed a crime, it would never occur to you that you need a lawyer.

thistle, Midori_Azul, 303gmf and 52 others like this.
  19. Kano

Kano Well-Known Member

i think lack of food and water for multiple days the real problem with the camping story. Unless they have burnbans in place that i don't know about and he couldn't have a fire?

20. SouthAussie

SouthAussie Well-Known Member

Yes, I have seen @Trackergd on a couple of threads here recently.

Perhaps they have an experienced opinion, if they are across the details of Gabby's disappearance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.