WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #13

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by PommyMommy, Sep 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cecelia

Cecelia Well-Known Member

This is true but also keep in mind there is a very large swath of Sarasota County outside the North Port city (municipal) limits that is also called North Port -- however it's governed by the County rather than the city, it's "unincorporated" as we say.

2. vanlifelady

vanlifelady Well-Known Member

Where was the tent in the video of their van at the campground? It looks like from other videos that they don’t both fit into the van together while sleeping. But I see no tent or even really room to set up a tent.

3. annpats

annpats Well-Known Member

It's a very small van by American standards, we have those exact Ford vans over here in the UK.

I was surprised that 2 people would choose live & sleep in such a small space. A bigger van may have been better. Plenty of choice of those in the US.

Anyway, I was wondering if being such a small van people may remember it against the loads of bigger vans that would have been around in the NP camps and car parks. That, and the FL plates.

4. NuttMegg

NuttMegg Well-Known Member

Maybe LE had them take something out?

5. LavenderLotus

LavenderLotus Well-Known Member

It's the very last pic in the most recent post.

Marg from Oz and penguinface like this.
  6. CrimeDawg123

CrimeDawg123 Well-Known Member

From the campsite they could have walked to the river, then headed north. I am guessing Gabby is with him at this point, or her body is near the van (which could be easily located IMO). The distance from the campsite to the river is ~4 miles.

ETA, since they haven't found her yet near the van, she could be in the river :(

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  7. Alias Gray

Alias Gray Well-Known Member

I saw it but wondered if BL would really dig in broad daylight in a field to potentially Bury a body? I just think it seems rather brazen for a true crime fan IMHO

8. khaki

khaki Well-Known Member

<modsnip - broken quote>

Yes, I see both as well. And their positions made me think Gabby was inside the van when this was filmed. She likes the van neat and so she may have slipped them off right before stepping up and in for a nap. They look like my mother's slippers looked at her bedside before she slipped them off to get up into bed.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2021
  9. jamicat

jamicat Well-Known Member

There are other possibilities. I’m trying to find the least harmful one that still makes it problematic to tell the police.
    Whatever happened, BL and family hired a lawyer for advice and the lawyer said to say nothing. Why? What story could he have told that lawyer, that he would say, keep mum? Why can’t he at least give out last place he saw her or spoke or texted her? Why is that info dangerous to him to give out?

10. SouthAussie

SouthAussie Well-Known Member

They turned around at some point and came back on that same track, and the van was still there. The narrator mentions that they saw it on the way back.
    No video footage of the way back.

11. afwife8405

afwife8405 Active Member

I am doing my best to stay caught up, so forgive me if this has already been addressed.

Regarding OCD & being under the care of a psychiatrist:

I've struggled with anxiety & panic attacks for 15 years. In February, I was hospitalized for mental health treatment. I was then diagnosed with OCD and put in the care of a psychiatrist upon my release. The psychiatrist made it very clear that my right to confidentiality ended if I was a threat to myself or others. Unless BL was a future threat to someone or himself, his psychiatrist would stay quiet about anything he is sharing.

Additionally, I was able to make adjustments to my medications with my psychiatrist over the phone, even when I was newly released from the hospital, even across state lines (we are military.) IMO, I don't see the need for him to fly back to either address meds or have a conversation with his doctor, unless he was being hospitalized.

Regarding OCD specifically: Generally speaking, most people do not have a clear understanding of OCD. It is not uncommon for people to go 10+years after onset of symptoms to get a proper diagnosis because people don't recognize their symptoms as being OCD. It is also not uncommon for people to say they have OCD because they are organized/particular about things. That is NOT OCD.

In the body cam footage, GP says she has OCD "sometimes." That really stood out to me as being something odd for a person with an OCD diagnosis to say. It's not for me say whether or not she has OCD, but I can say that they way she referred to it struck me as VERY odd. It would also surprise me that she was diagnosed with OCD by 22. Symptoms typically show up around 19 years old. It's not impossible, but definitely not typical. It is also VERY hard for someone with OCD to be away from home for extended periods of time. This could either point to her not having it OR could explain why she seemed to be struggling so much in that footage.

12. NuttMegg

NuttMegg Well-Known Member

They said they also saw the van on the way out, but they didn't stay over night back in there, no avail sites.

13. JurassicParker

JurassicParker WS Newb

Do we know if they are searching the area surrounding where the TT couple believe they picked up BL? Could he have taken her body out there to dispose of? Doesn't seem super realistic. Carrying dead weight is hard and he doesn't look to be strong enough to do it. Maybe he wrapped her in the tarp and dragged her? Could they have gone on a hike and he killed her while out in the middle of nowhere? Premeditated? They say he was clean. He could have packed a clean pair of clothes in a backpack and washed off in a creek or river in the area afterwards.

14. annpats

Also the necklace he was wearing in a lot of the photos.....then he suddenly wasn't. What happened to that?

15. klind55

klind55 Well-Known Member

Could the mustang have been in the garage? Or was the garage door open and still no mustang?

16. distracted

distracted Well-Known Member

Yes, but we don't know what color it was. I also think he would try to cover a tarp with vegetation, too.

I still believe that he was checking on her but it is just a theory.

Marg from Oz, SAMS and annpats like this.
  17. Kano

Kano Well-Known Member

do they enter from the back though? I kinda guessed it was side entry and the back was a bed.

spcagrl and Marg from Oz like this.
  18. annpats

Surely it would have had to! :eek:

Marg from Oz and missingno like this.
  19. SMK777

SMK777 Well-Known Member

No, it actually was an empty van, which is why they continued driving…

Marg from Oz and sds71 like this.
  20. Bit of hope

Bit of hope Have a nice day!

Actually this case went international. It was even on the Dutch news.....You could ask why..Still cucumber time as we would call the time there is not much to fill the news. Terms used "influencer", "social media star"....kind of made me laugh. She was only a young girl traveling, making you tube video's like so, so many. Nothing special, besides she is missing and of course that is very sad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.