Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #14

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by PommyMommy, Sep 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 10ofRods

10ofRods Verified Anthropologist

Just one small point: it's 18 miles from the beginning of Spread Creek dispersed camping area to Colter Bay. I took the geo coordinates from the Dyrt site that Gabby used.

43°46'20.4"N 110°29'03.9"W

It's possible that it's a bit further. So this puzzles me.

Did he really walk from the campground to Colter Bay? Or did he hitchhike? or did he take the van and just pretend to hitchhike (approaching several different people) and then trying to make sure they remembered that he's the guy traveling with the Youtuber gal - so that they'd remember him and help alibi him?

zelmajane, Cindizzi, GRT and 5 others like this.

2. Hope4More

Hope4More Well-Known Member

See the part about them not thinking straight.

It's not sympathy, just imagination to try to think of how these parents might respond to a son they had always bailed out telling them he had done something that was beyond their control to make right for him.

3. Herat

Herat Way out West

Thanks so much

So far I have only seen the commercial flights into/out of Jackson Hole, an overflight from Dallas, and a private jet going east

No grid search type activity, although I might need to bring the altitude range down for that

rkendmar, 10ofRods and Alkali13 like this.
  4. Wicked Strong

Wicked Strong Well-Known Member

In my opinion, if the parents found the car at the preserve after BL drove there, why didn't they search for the gun then, away from crowds? I think it was as simple as police asking if they had any firearms and were they missing (in relation to BL missing), they would have said, the gun was in a case in the Mustang. If there was a gun, I think they knew it was already missing. I am of the belief this is a smoke screen, they probably didn't know it would get so far out of hand with the search. They might have thought that the police would back off if BL was reported missing. MOO

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    zelmajane, Cindizzi, NamiNam and 4 others like this.
  5. sandy11382

sandy11382 Well-Known Member

I can't help but thinking that if LE would have acted earlier, the whole situation would have been solved. What was the reason they didn't get search warrants for the electronics (phone, laptop, etc) early on ? a week ago? They lived together as a couple, she also had property there, the van was registered to her.... what were they doing? waiting for BL to talk to them? when they finally entered the house - he already left and probably either escaped or commited suicide. He can plead the 5th and not talk to them but why did they wait so long to enter the house? the house SHE lived in !

off topic, the story is making news all over the world. I am from Israel and it even reached several media outlets here & the news (and we have plenty of issues in the news if you know what I mean:rolleyes:) so the whole world is worried about Gabby.

La Louve, Misy, grammieto5 and 19 others like this.
  6. Jurisprudence

Jurisprudence Well-Known Member

I don't see it either. But then again I did not see the flip flops either. Whoever first spotted those, wow! Well done! Do we know what date this video was shot?

7. Mom24

Mom24 Well-Known Member

I'm not seeing anything either. Would a helicopter show up?

NamiNam and Jurisprudence like this.
  8. GussiedCanoodler

GussiedCanoodler Well-Known Member

I'm not a parent, but I agree with you completely. I can't imagine a possible scenario where reasonable parents would be okay with this, which kind of just leaves two options: they arranged for someone to pick him up or they just... perhaps made a mistake
    in their judgment as parents (not sure how to word this appropriately).

10ofRods, PixieStix and TheGardener like this.
  9. Rosegold68

Rosegold68 Well-Known Member

have any of Gabby's belongings been found? wheres her stuff? threads are moving very fast I can't keep up and some links dont work as i'm in Europe

Misy, Gloomy Bear, NamiNam and 7 others like this.
  10. PixieStix

PixieStix Well-Known Member

RE: The ownership of the van and LE statements.

Besides LE saying "they didn't know" in response to who owned the van was there a new development I missed on that? If not logically, that should be the easiest thing to figure out who the van was owned by; even on traffic stops, LE can find out who a vehicle is owned by in mere minutes. I have to believe the "I don't know" statement was more of a no comment and think they are probably all physically emotionally exhausted, and it was just a slip-up.

On another note, I also have to believe LE has an excellent reason to keep searching the reserve/preserve. If dogs picked up scents of BL going deeper into that area, then it doesn't make sense the purpose of him driving the car there was to throw off LE. It's more likely he did go deeper into the area to escape or harm himself. I don't think they are just randomly searching the area and spending this much time there without good solid evidence he is there but not putting all the eggs in that basket just yet.

I still can't wrap my head around the fact his parents thought it was a good idea for him to leave the house in the first place to go on a "hike" amid all this chaos. Who would ever think that is a good idea??? :eek:

Just a few of my random Sunday thoughts!

b2alicia, 10ofRods, Midgie2 and 4 others like this.
  11. wnk

wnk Well-Known Member

It's been addressed by LE:

"Mr. Taylor had said the police had no reason to arrest him after he returned to Florida in the van, which is registered to Ms. Petito and had not been reported stolen. “The reality of that situation is that it was a common-use vehicle between the two of them,” Mr. Taylor said. The state law does not allow the police to arrest Mr. Laundrie any more than it allows for the arrest of a teenager found driving his or her parents’ car."​

Police Search Florida Wilderness for ‘Person of Interest’ in Van Mystery

ETA: "Mr. Taylor" here referring to North Port Police Department spokesman Joshua Taylor

gliving, Cindizzi, 10ofRods and 5 others like this.
  12. Bluebythec

Bluebythec Well-Known Member

I have been a WS member for years and lurked for a long time before that and I've never seen threads move so fast before! It's almost impossible to keep up so I apologize in advance if anything I ask has already been covered.

13. Jurisprudence

Jurisprudence Well-Known Member

Do you know where that report is? I'm curious to see it because LE does not seem to be dismissing it.

14. ShadyLady

ShadyLady Well-Known Member

Mulling over the actions of Brian's parents, I remember back to watching Casey's parents.

Did not think parents would be capable of how they ended up acting, but? Would you turn in your child, or just stay silent and call a lawyer.

I thank god, I have never been in a position like that. What if he told them it was an accident, and he refused to speak with LE? They called lawyer....and he told them, dont talk.

Misy, KentuckyMama, zelmajane and 4 others like this.
  15. 303gmf

303gmf Well-Known Member

Spotters I believe for herd counts, hunting isn’t allowed in National Parks, few exceptions!
    <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2021
  16. cass523

cass523 Well-Known Member

Gabby Petito case: Cops obtain cell tracking data for missing woman and Brian Laundrie

Police in Florida investigating the disappearances of Gabby Petito and her fiancé, Brian Laundrie, have obtained some cell phone tracking data for them — but still need to secure search warrants to get “complete access.”
    Investigators in North Port aren’t able to track the phones’ real-time locations, though they now have limited access to information about the couple’s movements, according to ABC7 reporter Jeff Butera.

“They need search warrants for devices. North Port PD is still working to get ‘complete access’ to the phones,” Butera wrote on Twitter.

Petito, 22, went missing on a cross-country road trip with Laundrie, 23, in a converted van to tour national parks in the US West.

Gabby Petito case: Police have obtained cell tracking data

17. NuttMegg

NuttMegg Well-Known Member

That could be, but apparently they picked up the car on Tuesday, the same day he went for his hike. But you could be absolutely correct, maybe I'm too critical, I just don't believe them at all now.

I can just imagine my father long ago if I came home from a roadtrip with my boyfriend's car, and I wouldn't tell him why I was alone, why I had boyfriend's car, where he was, and that I didn't want to talk to boyfriend's anguished parents or boyfriends 5 young siblings, etc. I'd still have an aching fanny, and he would have taken me to the police pronto.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  18. Alkali13

Alkali13 Wannabe Criminalist

They do sometimes, I might need to fiddle with some settings. I know the one that practically buzzed my house at 300 ft did a few days ago.

NamiNam, rkendmar and Mom24 like this.
  19. Not the van. The mustang.

20. LavenderLotus

LavenderLotus Well-Known Member

It's moving so fast, I'm afraid to comment or ask questions myself. I have a question about why GP's mom knows the van left the 27th or 28th but idk how many times it's been answered & I'm not able to read every single comment on these threads.

Cindizzi, Lillymac, JaneEyre and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.