Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #15

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope they can determine time of death...and cause of death
but since we know she had no contact after 25th facetime and then 27th (maybe) snapchat is uncertain. But he is hiking the 29th. then rushed home to FL that night if the fuel stop at 11pm is accurate.... I think they picked the camping area then she died......and yes they may have tried to get a regular campsite at a state park but they were all taken. It has been crazy this year trying to get reservations in state parks.... and again maybe they wanted free camping since this one was on her Dyrt account.
Do we have any real evidence DL was hiking? Maybe he just went to the nearest place where he could buy a tarp (to use in disposing the body somehow)? He might also have wanted a seriously good wash to get rid of evidence.

I am to arrive in Grand Teton tomorrow. I had hoped by the time this trip arrived, Gabby would have been found - safe. If not, I hoped to maybe run into her on a trail, where she was soaking up a a carefree and youthful experience in an off-grid adventure, and was simply having so much fun she forgot to phone home. Sadly, it was not to be.

I feel torn as I begin my own bucket list trip to the same places Gabby hoped to visit. She will never see Yellowstone or Glacier Park. Or anything else a young woman dreams to see or do.

I had already planned to do a short hike in GNP in memory of Jenn Coleman, who loved hiking, but recently lost her life to the perils there. But I don’t know much about Gabby. She had bookmarked some hikes. Maybe she liked to hike, maybe she really didn’t. She liked to take beautiful photos and document her travels. I will do the same, and if I see or hear anything noteworthy about the case while in Teton (and have cell service) I will try to share back here.

And although it is late in the season for it, I really hope I see a beautiful butterfly to photograph in memory of Gabby in this beautiful picture.

Fly high, Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito.
CF13899F-92FE-4F3F-BA46-F2B039C91B63.jpeg

Interesting they are seeking info from the 27th-30th specifically… why not 26th?
Well I think they have the phone records and have gotten additional tips - they know the movements of the 26th and now they want to narrow down these other days perhaps? I’ve thought the 28th ever since @Tiff23fr or @JerseyGirl pointed out in my timeline that day was blank - sigh
JMO

WS may be slow tonight, but the ignore button is a fantastic feature that makes it go much more quickly!

Ultimately, I am glad they found her, although I did try to hold out some hope that she was alive somewhere.
Folks complaining can always donate to this site and put their money where their keyboards are too. And then zip it.

Moo. I have a hard time accepting that the spot they put the tent is where her remains are located. Even the most hardened grizzled SAR veteran wouldn't stomp all over remains the way they were doing. I think the tent is a staging area for the coroner to work and the remains are where that group is standing so still
Good observation.

Covering for him is how he became the person he is, your statement of understanding why his parents covered for him reminded me of an incident in my own family long ago.
When my brother was a young 20 something husband, he slapped his wife in the face and she called the cops and had him arrested. He called my dad and told him this story, said he didn't hurt her and asked to be bailed out. My dad told him no, and don't ever lay a hand on your wife again.
That was the only incident of DV or arrest for anything in our family, ever.

BBM

I think that is one of the most important things ever said among all these threads on this particular case. Perhaps many other cases, too

I am to arrive in Grand Teton tomorrow. I had hoped by the time this trip arrived, Gabby would have been found - safe. If not, I hoped to maybe run into her on a trail, where she was soaking up a a carefree and youthful experience in an off-grid adventure, and was simply having so much fun she forgot to phone home. Sadly, it was not to be.

I feel torn as I begin my own bucket list trip to the same places Gabby hoped to visit. She will never see Yellowstone or Glacier Park. Or anything else a young woman dreams to see or do.

I had already planned to do a short hike in GNP in memory of Jenn Coleman, who loved hiking, but recently lost her life to the perils there. But I don’t know much about Gabby. She had bookmarked some hikes. Maybe she liked to hike, maybe she really didn’t. She liked to take beautiful photos and document her travels. I will do the same, and if I see or hear anything noteworthy about the case while in Teton (and have cell service) I will try to share back here.

And although it is late in the season for it, I really hope I see a beautiful butterfly to photograph in memory of Gabby in this beautiful picture.

Fly high, Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito.
View attachment 313461
Safe travels my friend -

Neither Rape(in cases that applies) nor Murder are “a little mistake”. I know I’m preaching to the choir with that…..but it royally astounds and angers me that some(families and lawyers) attempt to even utter such a preposterous, insulting, and vile comment against the wall….hoping it’ll stick.
That's what Chris Watts said, "one mistake shouldn't define the rest of his life", saying he should be released so he could proselytize more easily outside of prison. At least this creep BL didn't have any little girls to take it out on.

Just that he left the area in her vehicle without her. He drove cross country back home and wouldn't talk to authorities after a missing person's was filed by her parents. The van, her van, the one he drove alone back to FL, is documented as being right there in the area of her discovered dead body, on a certain night. That's it.. so far.

I would add to that lawyering up BEFORE Gabby is reported missing and then disappearing after being named a POI. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's undoubtedly not a chicken.

Last edited:
I need to issue an apology. I jumped the gun and don't want anyone else making my mistake. When I watched the aerial footage, I was very focused on the tent. I missed that the officers were actually standing tightly around the body to obscure it from aerial view while they got the tent ready.

So I retract my assertion that Gabby's body was likely buried or partly buried.

We should not rule out other causes of death.

I'm sorry if my previous posts contributed to any confusion or mistaken assumptions.
I see what you're talking about in the footage, but later in the footage, those officers split up and walk off and there is nothing there.

It’s pretty fascinating to read the different perspectives on this case, that BL is the victim
Not sure how anyone can view BL as the victim. He returned home with Gabby's van alive.
Must be the same folks who are diehard Chris Watt fans that view the giant baby man as the true victim.

I do really want to find out what happened.

I can't really see how he could lure her over there only to murder her.

I have to think it happened elsewhere, like near the van and he had to first figure out concealment, and then get her 110 pounds over there.

It's not solid ground. It's rocky, pebbly, gravely and he has to cross several small portions of streams plus the main channel. Perhaps he drove to the other side on Ute road and drug her from there, but this would have taken some time to figure out. I think the event occurred on Aug 27 and it took him two days to figure out what to do.

I think he drug her body over there on the famous tarp her had.

Looking at all these zoomed-in van pictures, the side of it has some pretty prominent scratches that aren’t visible when they were pulled over by the officers. Maybe he drove it a ways off road to get her to where they found her. :(

Last edited:
Perhaps, and I'm, not always right. Really, I'm not. But, she had shown to be a bit over the top that LE was involved twice. She was definitely stressed about the vanlife thing. They had just released the video. The were fighting. Any doubt that she was unhappy? I'm not the worlds best judge in people and I only see them on the other side of an internet feed but what I see, that guy was never going to kill her. That guy, with all his flaws, was all hers. Maybe you see something different. And that's ok. But not me, not yet. I don't see him as the kind of guy that can kill a snake let alone his fiance.
Humans are complex. Sometimes, we end up hurting those we love the most because they hurt us the most.

Last edited:
Do you have a timestamp? TIA
I'm sorry it's taken so long to answer. My poor Android is having an extreme hard time on this thread today.

1:47- 1:48 . Like I said I brightened the screenshot as much as it would go.

This is the video on youtube. I was actually doing it from a screenshot taken from a recent post's imbedded video (raw video without the editing) that seems not to dim at all when paused, I can't bounce around to find it as bouncing it off the table here today. If you can find the other one here it's much better.

People clearly need to educate themselves about domestic abuse. It's all around you everywhere you go. Take it from me, I've been around it nearly all my 55 years. I can spot an abuser a mile away. That kid's first words and attitude was clear evidence of abuse and poor Gabby was let down. Our police training and procedures need a complete turn around, although... I better keep it zipped here. Folks, if you know of, especially a young lady with not much life experience and a long life yet to live, do what you can do, as discreetly as you can to get her out of it. And for those of you that don't know the signs of abuse, stop being so willfully ignorant and educate yourself.

THANK
YOU!!!!

They should’ve immediately placed him under surveillance,” said Ed Gavin, an expert in missing person cases and former acting chief of the New York City Administration for Children’s Services. “Immediately.”

They should’ve been all over him,” Gavin added. “The fact that they let him out of their sight, that’s a no-no. Time is of the essence with these investigations.”

“I think what I would do if I was running the investigation is ask for permission to [look at Schmidt’s phone] because you don’t want to alienate the family, you want to do it in as cooperative a way as possible,” former veteran FBI agent Oliver Farache said.

“You want to look at the phone, see if anything was deleted, see exactly what kind of conversation they were having and looking at the whole thing, not just the last few days,” Farache said. “And the history of the texts that mom exchanged and dad as well will give you a clue into the missing person’s mental state as well.”

One retired NYPD detective said keeping tabs on Laundrie was a no-brainer.

“You always have to try to build a case and if it means surveillance to see where he’s going or what he’s doing … then you do that,” the ex-cop said. “You don’t need a search warrant to surveil somebody.”
Handling of Gabby Petito case under scrutiny amid boyfriend hunt

Thank you so much. Plenty of civilians on social media were saying this and were appalled; and you had plenty of other armchair detectives blithering on about "not having enough money to surveil everyone", etc. Good to have confirmation that this would in fact have been standard operating procedure.

I wonder in fact if the Petitos will have grounds for a lawsuit against North Port police on account of it, if they in fact cared to bring one.

I doubt they will, but I think they could.

If her information was in fact key to the discovery I applaud the FBI for being so on top of the tips coming in.

It certainly seems as if the tips that made it to us were sound.

Can I say this now?

Reactive abuse is a symptom of domestic violence.

Those officers in Moab need retraining stat.

What are the signs of “reactive abuse”, though?

Asking primarily because plenty of people on other sites/social media, were asking “What if he is just defending himself from her?”, and frankly, if there are hard cold facts as to how to refute that, I’d love to know them, especially since we and the cops came into the situation cold.

I can understand if the preferred default for trained law enforcement is always to assume equal culpabilities on behalf of both parties; I was just curious to see backup behind the determination of reactive vs. first-line abuse.

People are disparaging him because even if he didn’t kill her, he didn’t do anything to help her. He didn’t do anything to help her family find her. He claimed to love her. Is that loving behavior to you?

Yeah... this point of view won't age well, IMO.

At minimum, they should have considered her a member of the family, as she lived with them.

I also suspect that Gabby wanted to appear to her parents as if she could handle herself, for any situations in which an aggressor could conceivably have the benefit of the doubt.

IME, women in particular tend to "under-judge", so as not to appear to be "jumping to conclusions".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam