Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Things that stand out in the warrant:

1. Repeated reference to Gabby's mental health. She was deemed to be 'endangered' and with concern that she could not care for herself based on her increased anxiety.

2. The van's license plate was scanned arriving in North Port, Florida on the morning of 9/1. No word on who was driving it.

MOO.
Just a guess, but describing GL as “endangered” due to mental health concerns, it could give reason to issue the search warrant since at that time, there was no evidence of a crime. MOO

However, if the area between the exit and BL's parent's home has intersection cameras, they may be able to find footage since they know the exact time he passed the exit. I think the intersection cameras take a wider view of the intersection, so they may be able to get shots of the driver.

Let's hope so. It will be very helpful if a camera or eyewitness is able to place BL in that van on 9/1. I keep hoping maybe some convenience store footage or something like that will pop up.

In this report it states, "no one reported that the male struck the female"

He spoke with Chris, Brian and Gabby and they all gave the same story

Also, LE knows that sometime eye witnesses have conflicting stories. So, they could not completely count on the phone call they got when three other people recounted a different account. Also, physical evidence supported Chris, Brian and Gabby.

It wasn't for today. WFLA said this live on air. They said they are still waiting for the one from today.

Yes, correct. The WFLA investigator also noted that the warrant from today may be harder to obtain. Florida state has a very broad sunshine law and the previous search warrants were likely state search warrants. The one from today is likely a federal warrant from District of Wyoming executed through the District of Florida.

ETA: I had to take a break after realizing I watched an unrelated dumpster for 3 hours instead of working. o_O

Last edited:
Great question! I think it depends on the state & that camera. I know recently one of my adult kids traveled through multiple states and ended up in the wrong lane and had a "warning" sent. It showed his car and him driving it.
im pretty sure they have a good idea Brian was the one driving that van. Seems to me with everything they are doing at that house they know he was there at some point, just hope they firgur out when he left again.

So does that mean that the park ranger stop is not related to the 911 call that relates to him chasing her down the sidewalk? Surely a 911 call would go to the police department, not to park rangers?

In case somebody else hasn’t already answered, it was a police officer who stopped BL and GP, then later, another police officer (maybe two?) and the park rangers also stop to assist.

The traffic stop and the 911 call are for the same incident.

Or that he isn't very smart -- or was freaked out because he'd just killed Gabby -- and didn't think to refer to her grandfather the way she herself would have done.

I mean, if it was he who sent the text, God knows what his unconscious motivations were. But if he wanted to get caught, he probably would have been caught a while ago.

JMO
Yeah, getting caught was a poor choice of words on my part. It’s clear to me that he doesn’t want to be caught per se. But I could imagine him wanting her to be found. IMO

One thing that did strike me about the body cam footage was the officer walking off, past the vehicle Gabby was in, then turning around to go back and ask BL if he was on any medications and whether he was always this hyper, which made me wonder if he was questioning his story.

As far as the conversation being inappropriate or unprofessional, I thought that maybe they were attempting to be more relatable in an effort to get either GP or BL to open up about anything they weren't saying.

Domestic violence perpetrators frequently describe the victim as having mental health issues, and law enforcement too often believes it.

For future reference:

March 31, 2021
Wyoming Legislature Votes to Keep Death Penalty

https://www.americanbar.org/groups/...tions/project_blog/wyoming-legislature-votes/

As of now it appears her death occurred in Grand Teton National Park. The means it be comes a Federal offense and the trial would likely be in the state capital, Cheyenne WY, under the eagis of the US Dept of Justice, done by a US Attorney General. It would not be prosecuted by Teton County, WY as a state of Wyoming crime. That may affect the death penalty status.

Some legal eagle here has to advise us, please

Domestic violence perpetrators frequently describe the victim as having mental health issues, and law enforcement too often believes it.
Not that what you said isn't true, but Gabby literally says she has OCD (which is an anxiety disorder) in the bodycam videos with the police. Them describing her as someone with anxiety is them writing down exactly what she told them about herself.

I wonder why the computer was still in the van after sitting in the driveway for almost 2 weeks? Especially since the LE think that computer belongs to her. It seems a little vulnerable out there.
Maybe the parents would ask about it. Knowing it wasn't his? I don't know. I can't wait to find out, hopefully, what really went down between the parents and BL

Bethune's called FBI at 1AM according to their statements. She was located several hours later on that same day only a thousand feet or so from where that van was in the video. I am willing to guess they are the reason she was found so quickly.

It's remarkable to me that random strangers drove by their van, which was located just a short distance from GP remains. I was so worried that she wouldn't be found with the terrain, the distance they traveled and the expected inclement weather. Thank goodness those passersby saw the news, sifted through their footage, and turned it over to law enforcement.

The report says that Brian had locked Gabbie out of the van and tried to take off without her. Gabbie freaked out and tried to crawl back into the van through the window, to prevent Brian from leaving without her.

Remember: It was Gabbie's van, and they were thousands of miles from home. The fact that she was freaked out was 100% reasonable.

That it was technically her van isn't what's most relevant. The fact that she was so convinced that he *would* drive away & abandon her there that she fought her way back in is. And then the fact that instead of keeping the van parked & apologizing & comforting her until she had calmed down, he escalated and drove the van fast enough to alarm LE, and didn't pull right over after seeing them behind him.

Also, LE knows that sometime eye witnesses have conflicting stories. So, they could not completely count on the phone call they got when three other people recounted a different account. Also, physical evidence supported Chris, Brain and Gabby.
Well regardless of that information, the report probably should not say that "no one reported the male struck the female" because obviously we just listened to someone report the male striking the female. That's all Im saying.

I think it was Brian driving the van back to FL. The chances otherwise seem slim to me.

Any idea when we might hear something about the autopsy tomorrow?? Same day or later?

Interesting - Warrant #8 & 9 - license plate reader picked up the van entering North Port 9/1 at 10:26. Van located on 9/11. BL's parents state he was not at the residence and refused to allow BL to speak with LE and directed officers to their attorney. (BBM for emphasis)

If he was not at the residence, how could they refuse to allow him to speak?
They could have just said he was there to avoid suspicion. They are clearly known liars so he probably was never there. I’m sure he was gone before her family reported her missing.

Also, LE knows that sometime eye witnesses have conflicting stories. So, they could not completely count on the phone call they got when three other people recounted a different account. Also, physical evidence supported Chris, Brain and Gabby.
Well regardless of that information, the report probably should not say that "no one reported the male struck the female" because obviously we just listened to someone report the male striking the female. That's all Im saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave