Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
My husband works in IT and said, "For argument's sake, let's say you throw a laptop out that you don't want anymore and the hard drive is indeed still in there. Someone can snatch up your laptop, remove the hard drive and turn it into an external hard drive to connect to their own laptop and get a lot off of that hard drive that you wouldn't want put out there." He's removed a hard drive from an old laptop of his that was no longer working and destroyed the pins on it so it was unreadable.

So it's safe to say that if there is anything on that laptop and it's Gabby's...there's a lot to be found. Especially if the hard drive is still in there and intact.

Another perspective - I have a MacBook Air and the internal hard drive is miniature because they are pushing you to using iCloud instead. I have a big (Terabytes, not physically) external hard drive I use plugged into via USB for anything beyond using the web. All my photos and videos have to go on it or I would have to pay for extra iCloud space and hope I always have wifi to access them. If Gabby had a MacBook or a notepad with tiny storage it would make perfect sense for her to have an external hard drive that she puts video and pics on so she has the space.

Destroying

Destroying the pins will not destroy the data, a standard drive format will not destroy the data, taking a magnet to the drive will not destroy the data. Your average computer user isn't going to know how to PERMANENTLY destroy a drive so that nothing can be recovered. Source: My career is in IT Security.

This is why I have 3 inoperable laptops sitting in a closet taking up space. LOL!

The search warrant says the last text her mom received was on Aug. 27th asking about "Stan" before Gabby's phone was turned off. So then who got the text on Aug. 30th about no service in Yosemite? I thought her mom was sent that too.

You're right. Either there's a mistake in the search warrant or a mistake in what Gabby's family's attorney said.

""No service in Yosemite," read the last text from Petito's phone to her mom, Nichole Schmidt, on August 30, attorney Richard Stafford confirmed."
Gabby Petito's mother says her last text said there was 'no service in Yosemite' - but she doesn't believe it was from her daughter

I see the rough patches here in these discussion threads, and some heated exchanges. It happens, and I've participated in a few myself. But as a new member I'm seeing a tremendous amount of respect and care shown to each other as we pursue this case.

I can see why so many of you have been on Websleuths for years and why some of you probably even live here.

:)

Honestly, I think Brian was an abusive boyfriend who controlled Gabby. I think that Gabby was the one being attacked and that Brian used the scratches he got from her being defensive as an excuse. I believe Gabby may have been so scared of him that she didn’t expose Brian.

Who knows what happened, but I think we all believe the same thing. This is heartbreaking.

Oh my goodness, this Dr Phil show is killing me. Around the 20 min mark Gabby’s dad talks about finding out that BL isn’t talking. Said he was screaming and inconsolable. Said that he was 20 when she was born and she saved his life. That he was doing down the wrong path before her. It’s hard to not lose it hearing him talk. I also was his age when my oldest was born, his birth made my life and family what it is today. As if this couldn’t be any more real. This poor family, I wish I knew their heartbreak would ease from here but sadly I think this only the beginning, they can’t even start to heal until they find BL and are able to get some Justice for her.

I don't understand what would be meant by a "hard drive". A box thingy with data? A thingy without the box that you installed inside the computer? Wasn't that like, 30-40 years ago? I thought we were onto thumb drives or Cloud? Or are some folks using "hard drive" to refer to a Windows PC?
I assumed it meant an external hard drive - ie a backup storage device. They're really good for when you're editing photos or videos, because those files are SO huge that you don't necessarily want to keep all the raw footage on your laptop if you're switching between devices, and you'd be able to access the files then even if you don't have WiFi.

In my experience, young people will sometimes refer to older family members using their first name when talking to each other.

Such as “Stan called four times today. He wants to know if he needs a disc to install Facebook.” Used especially if the first name indicates an older age (so like Mildred or Stan) or “personality type” (think the Karen trend). She may have used “Stan” when she talked about her grandfather to Brian but wouldn’t say the same to her mom.

MOO

I don't understand what would be meant by a "hard drive". A box thingy with data? A thingy without the box that you installed inside the computer? Wasn't that like, 30-40 years ago? I thought we were onto thumb drives or Cloud? Or are some folks using "hard drive" to refer to a Windows PC?
You can buy external hard drives that you then hook up to your laptop or pc to transfer data so your main computer isn't full. a lot of YouTubers have them to store big video files. This one seems popular.

No. The 3rd person was "Chris," an eyewitness at the Moon place. Who said she was the aggressor.

LISTEN: 911 caller describes Brian Laundrie slapping Gabby Petito in Moab weeks before disappearance | ABC4 Utah

Actually Chris or Christopher who made the call ONLY reported Brian hitting Gabby. Not once did he mention her being the aggressor. The narrative that Gabby was the aggressor came from Brian's conversation with the police and them being totally dismissive of the reports of Brian's physical aggression towards Gabby.

An external hard drive. It makes sense for gabby to have had one given she was making content for her social media. High quality videos and photos would take up a lot of storage space on her computer.

The search warrant says the last text her mom received was on Aug. 27th asking about "Stan" before Gabby's phone was turned off. So then who got the text on Aug. 30th about no service in Yosemite? I thought her mom was sent that too.

"Yosemite"? Why would they say that? They were going to Yellowstone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77