WY WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #19

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by PommyMommy, Sep 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. penguinface

penguinface Well-Known Member

Google Maps gives about 34 to 36 hours, and that’s all at legal maximum speeds, which we know Brian can be inclined to exceed.

2. wnk

wnk Well-Known Member

I think someone else determined earlier that the only way to get to Colter Bay from there was by the road -- that there aren't really any trails that would lead in that direction. That definitely seems to be the case from what I can tell on Google Maps.

MadMcGoo and Dualactionfoamer like this.
  3. Perch

Perch Member

They will begin their spin

4. imstilla.grandma

imstilla.grandma Believer of Miracles

5. kshrable

kshrable Member

ctmom likes this.
  6. penguinface

penguinface Well-Known Member

You could buy a few cheap enclosures and use their hard drives as storage for music, photos, movies, games, whatever :)

Fleur-de-lis and Chrissy1958 like this.
  7. Dartagnan

Dartagnan Member

Thank you for that info. I had been wondering. Do you know if the person that said police viewed their cameras footage from that area and said Brian was on the footage, has that been confirmed it was him? It just seems too strange if he was indeed there and now they have a dead person there as well. I really hope it doesn’t become a serial killer situation.

8. MassGuy

MassGuy The Monsters Aren’t The Ones Beneath The Bed

jash, Bluedaisy100, LeeAnnB and 42 others like this.
  9. Matic

Matic Well-Known Member

Will writing zero's completely erase it?
    I'm a semi pro gamer and always write zero's to free up as much space on my raid 0 drives before a format.

kittythehare likes this.
  10. CrimeC243

CrimeC243 Active Member

For anyone that hasn’t seen
    Van life video by Gabby and brian

11. Vail

Vail Justice for Kara & Jessica

it is possible LE did not want to disclose the real date or content of the last text, so they put out a red herring. For example, if Brian had ever been interviewed, he may have said something contrary like "yeah i know she texted her mom on the 30th..." when LE knows the phone was already dead by then.

12. Simply Southern

Simply Southern Well-Known Member

Thank you, I was thinking the SW was for external hard drive and all electronics in the van. They had these in their possession but needed a warrant to search the files.

Could discovered information have lead to the SW today?

Moo...

NoSI, ctmom, girlhasnoname and 4 others like this.
  13. rgreene

rgreene Well-Known Member

He probably read her texts on her phone.

scmom, ctmom, sleuth4justice and 12 others like this.
  14. Alethea

Alethea Verified Attorney

I think I understand what happened. They're saying that the text on August 27 was "odd" and the first indication to Gabby's mom that something wasn't right - either it wasn't her, or she's having some type of mental episode. Keep in mind that they are requesting this search warrant under the law that pertains to missing people, not violent crime. So LE wants to show there's evidence that GP could be having some type of mental health crisis to get access to these electronic records. The text on the 30th may not have been her but her mom didn't object to the content of it. Know what I mean?

NoSI, Sunny123, ctmom and 14 others like this.
  15. gliving

gliving Woof

'They skipped that role in parenting': Gabby Petito's father Joe Petito speaks on Dr. Phil

16. sasha17

sasha17 Curiouser & curiouser

Exactly!

"The text message sent from her daughter’s phone on 30 August said: “No service in Yosemite”. Yosemite, in California’s Sierra Nevada mountains, is 800 miles from her last known location in Wyoming. Ms Schmidt told the Daily Mail she was certain the text was faked and suspected her Mr Laundrie may have sent it to intentionally mislead the family."

Everything we know about the mysterious disappearance of Gabby Petito

17. bammab

bammab Former Member

As others have already stated it could mean external hard drive. But, I wanted to mention that it wouldn't be wise for people on the road to rely on cloud storage, it requires an internet connection that they will not often have available.

zoomom2, Seenit, els and 3 others like this.
  18. Alethea

Alethea Verified Attorney

Let's see if there's a big banner advertising his law firm with a link to his website and phone number.

19. hmmmm...

hmmmm... Active Member

Question for you guys that I might have missed more details on, but is there a true confirmation of BL going back to FL from 8/17-23? Or just that one hand written note from her uncle that there were pics of?

Estelle, taurusgal, Skigirl and 3 others like this.
  20. Sassafrass

Sassafrass Well-Known Member

Many suggestions have now been made about what else could be done.

Why weren't the officers working to be relatable to Gabby as well?

They were trying to de-escalate only, having determined that this was just a volatile young couple including a dramatic, draining girl and her boyfriend who lost patience with her but was doing the best he could given "crazy chick"...that is the only explanation for ignoring the following in the context of a physical, violent interaction reported and witnessed by several people including LE:
    • Both of them have visible scratches and redness. red flag
    • Both admit to having put hands on the other. red flag
    • He downplays what he did even while admitting it red flag
    • She throws herself under the bus - not just for the physical violence, but also how it was her fault that he got mad at her. [clear sign of warped thinking, and not contradicted by him, confirming a strange dynamic] red flag
    • She was seen hanging out of the van window (or whatever - that he locked her out). (iirc) red flag
    • She stated she was scared he was going to drive off without her. red flag
    • Based on general knowledge about reasonable safety concerns for a young woman (a small one, too, clearly not from there), you know that it is reasonable to be afraid of being left alone in that position. And as above, he has already locked her out/threatened to leave her behind. So this is a guy who has deliberately behaved in a way to frighten his girlfriend, both emotionally and physically. From this, you are looking at a guy who would choose to make his girlfriend afraid for her safety. red flag
    • He drove very fast in a place he didn't know, while having a physical fight. (dangerous behavior) red flag

But LE decided to ignore all of those flags, as well as basic information about domestic violence, including common behaviors of abusers and victims.

LE approaches to DV can make a huge difference. If this were a couple residing in a town, historical police records that are accurate can support arrest/incarceration, ideally before a death. Better and more intense support and encouragement could be offered to victims, especially repeat victims. Sussing the real story and offering support to the real victim can be enough to prompt a victim to leave/seek help. Time in jail for an abuser can flip on a lightbulb about how far the relationship has fallen away from normal or healthy.

I don't want my LE to shrug their shoulders when it comes to violence, especially the kind of violence that, more than any other kind, thrives behind closed doors. It requires a harder look.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.