Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PommyMommy

#ShinelikeShanann
Reaction score
Missing woman disappears after road trip with boyfriend as mom reveals message to authorities | Fox News

Gabby Petito, 22, set out on a road trip with her boyfriend in a converted camper van in early July to tour National Parks, but she disappeared in late August and her family hasn't heard from her in more than two weeks. Now, her mother is pleading for help finding her daughter.

Nicole Schmidt, Petito's mother, told Fox News that the last verbal conversation she had with her daughter was on Aug. 25.

"I don't know if she left Grand Teton or not," Schmidt said. "I did receive a text from her on the 27th and the 30th, but I don't know if it was technically her or not, because it was just a text. I didn't verbally speak to her."

[...]

The couple stopped in Grand Teton National Park on Aug. 25, Petito's last known location, before a planned trip to Yellowstone. They were traveling in a 2012 Ford white van that was converted into a camper.

[...]

A spokesperson for the Jackson Police Department said that an "attempt to locate" call was recently filed for Petito. The Suffolk County Police Department is also investigating the case. Suffolk County PD declined to comment on Sunday.

Petito is 5’5" and has blonde hair and blue eyes. She has a triangle tattoo with flowers on her left arm and a "Let it be" tattoo on her right arm.

Anyone who has seen Gabby or has any information on the case should contact the Suffolk County Police Department at 1-800-220-8477.

WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 8/25/21 *MEDIA MAPS TIMELINE No discussion*

Thread #1

Last edited by a moderator:
Mod Reminder on Social Media Rules:
Public Pages
Mainstream Media (MSM)
Law Enforcement (LE)
Group support pages for victims, such as "Help Find..." and "Justice for..." (usually a page run by family)
Legitimate non-profit organizations who provide assistance and support to victims and their families (e.g., Klass Kids, Texas Equusearch).
  • Posts by an owner or admin of the above public social media pages may be linked, copied, quoted, or paraphrased. This refers primarily to posts or tweets by MSM reporters, announcements by law enforcement, the admin of an approved group support page (usually a page run by family)
  • NOTE: Comments and posts by readers/visitors of these pages are not allowed to be linked, quoted, copied or referenced. They are considered rumor. Just don't mention them.
  • Regarding group support pages, i.e., "Help Find..." and "Justice for...": If at any time the WS staff determines a group support page to be inappropriate, a notice will be posted in the thread stating that the page is no longer approved.
Additionally, until there is a named POI, WS TOS is that we remain victim friendly. This means no casting accusations at the boyfriend at this time. The complete set of rules can be found here: RULES .

ADMIN NOTE:

The "Find Gabby" FB page was not pre-approved by Websleuths. WS needs time to review it to decide whether to approve or not because there are literally thousands of these types of pages cropping up all the time.

I don't know of any family that announces they have "updated their business hours" on a missing person group support page and I am not seeing that they are involved in any searches. It appears the page is compiling images and info from MSM and other sites. I see nothing on this page to indicate it is family run or that anyone in the group is actually directly involved in the search for Gabby.

I might be wrong on this, but at this point the page is not approved unless/until we are satisfied it is a legitimate page initiated and/or approved by the family. Just because someone says something on the internet doesn't necessarily make it true. If it is announced by family in MSM or through LE, or it is a site that we are familiar with (i.e. The Aware Foundation), that's a different story. We've just seen too many of these pages that do not necessarily have the family's best interest at heart, and we'd rather be right than first.

For now just stick to MSM and LE. Please do not discuss this page any further unless someone can find something where family indicates they are running this page or that the page has the family's approval.

Mod Note:

Suggestions of a publicity stunt while someone is missing is not victim friendly. Until LE suggests otherwise, Gabby is missing and WS will treat the missing persons case with the care and compassion a missing person deserves. Posts suggesting this is a stunt or hoax have been removed.

To avoid having your post removed and risk losing posting privileges:

- remember that Gabby, her family and her friends are considered VICTIMS, and protected by Websleuths’ victim-friendly policy (including BL)
- don’t accuse someone of being guilty of crime (unless LE has)
- don’t post anything as fact without an MSM link.
- don’t use derogatory names for ANYone.
- don’t discuss comments from ANYone on any social media.
- the ONLY social media links allowed right now are those belonging to the missing person Gabby Petito, OR MSM and LE sites.
- don’t sleuth anyone except Gabby. Sleuthing/researching her boyfriend is off limits at this time.
- don’t bicker.

This is not the complete list of rules, but merely the ones that have been violated here this evening. Do yourself and Websleuths a favor and read over THE RULES HERE to help keep this thread opened.

Thread is now open for posting - responsibly and respectfully.
THANKS for your efforts to do that going forward.

ADMIN NOTE:

Negative speculation on a victim is not victim friendly and is not allowed. Such posts will be removed.

To speculate that the victim was involved in drugs or somehow responsible for her own disappearance is off limits as Not Victim Friendly.

Warning points and possible Time Outs will be issued for members who violate Websleuths Victim Friendly rule.

Please read The Rules and post accordingly.

Thank you.

If his name is not on the title he has no right to use the van without permission whatsoever. Believe me, I have personally gone through this. Handshake deals don't matter.
This wasn't a handshake deal though. They were engaged, planning a life (and a cross country trip) together. They both put in time and effort, most likely money, into the whole thing. Speculating on the ownership seems irrelevant given the circumstances. He wasn't her buddy or a friend, according to her family, and the guy then interviewed (Jay Foster), they were equally involved. Not being married might seem more of a technicality at this point. Maybe she was sole owner on paper, him arriving home without her seems more important than whether he was on the paperwork.

It matters if he stole it.
Let's say only she was on the paperwork, the FBI is processing the van now. Are they worried about whether he was on the title?

Exactly! The parents of Gabby have been referring to it as "her van".
Didn't she also refer to it as "our van"? They've both mentioned downsizing "our lives" to fit into it.

All I'm saying is that, in my opinion, it's irrelevant to the bigger picture at the moment. Not that it doesn't matter, but that maybe it's the least of anyone's worries right now, especially as it's already been seized by LE. Whether he's on the title, he's still spent his time and money into it; and if they split up and it was ever decided to sell it he has every right to say he's owed X amount for what he's done for it.

For the sake of argument, IF a crime has been committed against Gabby, the issue probably wouldn't be that he stole her van but that she was harmed in some way. It seems that a potential theft of the van, or even charging him with grand theft auto, would be a lesser charge compared to a case of him harming her. If a crime has NOT been committed and they went their separate ways and she said take the van, as much as it being a really bad move on his part and leaving her alone, there's still less of an issue regarding title ownership as she gave him permission. Given what little is known right now the only issue where title ownership of this van would be significant is if he tried to sell it or get rid of it.

Yep her last few insta posts it's very very obvious she didn't post those. They are also also edited. They are long and praising the dude. He 100% posted them.

I've attended events in one location and waited until I was home in another location to upload. I wouldn't want my home location to show up. Maybe these pics were taken and posted later on from a different location. Especially if there is no signal at the time of taking the pic. JMO

Edit: typo - fixed "takin" (Another example of why a person may edit their post)

I don't think anyone is fixated on the van. But it is an important part of the entire picture. I'm not going to ignore that. And I know LE isn't ignoring that. We will find out soon who owns the van.
I think some are speculating about the need for a warrant, or if BF (or Gabby's family) gave permission for the van to be taken/searched? So, this could be very relevant to that part of the investigation.

The lawyer, Bertolini, lives in Bayport, NY, the same town where the Laudries lived (Gabby and Brian went to Bayport-Blue Point High School). Bertolini is a very general practitioner - the kind of guy you'd hire for a traffic ticket, not a serious criminal defense lawyer. I'm guessing he was someone the parents knew from their years on Long Island and not who would ultimately handle the case if charges are filed. That may also be why the statement was such a non-statement. It's the sort of thing you'd write if you were a temporary caretaker who didn't really know what to do but you know you need to do something because all of the major networks and national media are on the story and camped outside your client's house.
Thanks for your local insight @sandypaws. BL has not been charged with any crime and I think it makes perfect sense to have a lawyer licensed in NY respond on your behalf when the lead agency is also Suffolk County.

The more I think about this, I think Suffolk County extended a big courtesy to GP's mom and stepdad here because you typically have to file with the agency where the victim went missing. I don't think they know --was it UT or WY? Was it State or Federal land? MOO

I'm interested in hearing about the selection of a Long Island, NY attorney (I live on Long Island) and why not a Florida attorney? Any idea when the family moved down to Florida? Long distance legal advice?

Do we actually know where both of Gabby's parents live? We ought not to, as we aren't supposed to sleuth them. So any knowledge of when they moved from NY. (if they did), is not sleuthable.

At any rate, in this case, with no clear "last sighting" spot from which to date the missing person's report (yet), it's customary to start the case from the person's home jurisdiction. I'm guessing that it's possible Gabby still had a NY DL or similar.

We can discuss MSM, though, which places Gabby's dad in Long Island - perhaps that's why he hired a NY lawyer. Where is Gabby's actual home, at this point?

Gabby Petito’s boyfriend issues statement over her disappearance

Gabby Petito's boyfriend issues statement over her disappearanc

The Florida man sought for questioning in the mysterious disappearance of Gabby Petitobroke his silence Tuesday, saying it’s “an extremely difficult time” for both families.

“I understand that a search has been organized for Miss Petito in or near Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming,” Brian Laundrie said in a statement, according to ABC News.

“On behalf of the Laundrie family it is our hope that the search for Miss Petito is successful and that Miss Petito is re-united with her family,” said the statement, issued through an attorney.

“On the advice of counsel the Laundrie family is remaining in the background at this juncture and will have no further comment,” it said.
———
Geez, how many times can he call her “Miss Petito ”? And could he sound any colder?

After we released our podcast episode about the case
Gabby's family sent is this statement:

"The Schmidt and Petito family are going through the worst moments of their lives. Their beautiful twenty-two year old daughter is missing and the one person that can help find Gabby refuses to help. Brian Laundrie was traveling with Gabby in the Grand Teton – Yellowstone area. They were traveling together in Gabby’s 2012 Ford Transit van. That is where we believe Gabby was last seen.
Brian is refusing to tell Gabby’s family where he last saw her. Brian is also refusing to explain why he left Gabby all alone and drove her van to Florida. These are critical questions that require immediate answers.
The Schmidt and Petito family beg the Laundrie family to not “remain in the background” but to help find who Brian referred to as the love of his life. How does Brian stay in the background when he is the one person that knows where Gabby is located?
The Schmidt and Petito family implore Brian to come forward and at least tell us if we are looking in the right area
."

This wasn't a handshake deal though. They were engaged, planning a life (and a cross country trip) together. They both put in time and effort, most likely money, into the whole thing. Speculating on the ownership seems irrelevant given the circumstances. He wasn't her buddy or a friend, according to her family, and the guy then interviewed (Jay Foster), they were equally involved. Not being married might seem more of a technicality at this point. Maybe she was sole owner on paper, him arriving home without her seems more important than whether he was on the paperwork.

Let's say only she was on the paperwork, the FBI is processing the van now. Are they worried about whether he was on the title?

Didn't she also refer to it as "our van"? They've both mentioned downsizing "our lives" to fit into it.

All I'm saying is that, in my opinion, it's irrelevant to the bigger picture at the moment. Not that it doesn't matter, but that maybe it's the least of anyone's worries right now, especially as it's already been seized by LE. Whether he's on the title, he's still spent his time and money into it; and if they split up and it was ever decided to sell it he has every right to say he's owed X amount for what he's done for it.

For the sake of argument, IF a crime has been committed against Gabby, the issue probably wouldn't be that he stole her van but that she was harmed in some way. It seems that a potential theft of the van, or even charging him with grand theft auto, would be a lesser charge compared to a case of him harming her. If a crime has NOT been committed and they went their separate ways and she said take the van, as much as it being a really bad move on his part and leaving her alone, there's still less of an issue regarding title ownership as she gave him permission. Given what little is known right now the only issue where title ownership of this van would be significant is if he tried to sell it or get rid of it.
He can be brought in to sweat in cell, big difference...maybe crack...Motown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member