Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it is wrong to speculate about their mental health, both of them, because we don't know them and this is confidential information.

However, the police report is public info with some redactions, and apparently GP and BL both reported their self-diagnoses to the police. We don't know at this point if their diagnoses were medically valid, if they just conjured up these diagnoses so the police would not arrest them, or anything in-between.

What we DO know as a fact is that Gabby said she was afraid he’d drive away and was desperate enough to climb through the driver’s window and over BL to get back into the van.

So, avoiding any diagnosis that comes to mind (which are several), I’ll just say again that what appears to be a blissful love affair of two free-spirited people was anything but that. If their van life, yoga mindset and carefree existence was how they planned to make a living online, these personal problems certainly would put a halt to that.

Could the potential of not gaining followers and subscribers be a catalyst for disaster? Who knows? Brian does! Speak, Brian!!!

I believe @SuziQ mentioned that a lot of young people hitchhike in Moab, sometimes with strangers. It’s also possible that GP and BL separated and she went off to hitchhike and met a bad end that way. That happened to high school friends of mine (Mitch and Bonnie, still missing since 1973, there’s a WS forum about them). It’s possible but not what I believe happened. That’s because BRIAN needs to SAY SOMETHING! Even if she hitchhiked with someone evil, he can still tell her family where he was last with her, and he should be drowning in tears that she’s missing. JMO

Gabby owned a van. Why would she need to hitchhike?

I wonder how long before he retains an attorney in Florida. Is his current lawyer licensed to practice in FL? At what point does that matter? If there was a crime it didn't occur in FL (and most likely not NY either), at least insofar as LE can prove.

He doesn't look like a murderer. He has no choice but to stay out of view. I suspect he's told LE everything he knows. It's not good enough for the her parents because they still don't know where she is, but I suspect he doesn't know either. All the conjectures here are reasonable but at the end of the day, I doubt it's going to be him. It reminds me of the Leanne Bearden case a few years ago. She disappeared. Everyone thought it was the hubby. He would do interviews and everyone would tear him apart. Oh, he looks like he's lying, he sounds like he's lying. Maybe he just is heartbroken. Leanne walked out and killed herself. Unfortunately, those things happen, more so than someone being killed.

My guess, gabby walked out on him. They were arguing. That much has been established. Again, my guess, he expected her to be back in a half hour. She didn't come back. He didn't know what to do. He's heart sick. Look at the video, he really looks like he loves her and is not particularly controlling. Just a guy in love with his girlfriend. So thinking, he left her there, or stole her van, is probably off the mark. I believe she left after an argument and left him there. And no matter what you do in that situation, the boyfriend is going to look suspicious.

I hope she's safe and I hope we can close this chapter. This is the kind of case that we have to let LE do their job. Start by interviewing everyone else at the campground. I'm sure they have records of folks who left. And search the area extensively. In this case though, foul play is probably not the answer.

What does a murderer look like?

Just a quick note about the longer redacted section towards the bottom from GP's statement. I am JUST THEORIZING based on the contents of the reports, but my guess is that it says:

"Gabrielle told me that she suffers from BIPOLAR DISORDER TYPE 2 with ANXIETY. She continued, because of her BIPOLAR and ANXIETY, combined with arguments..."

JMO MOO IMO Just a random guess. Has NOTHING to do with something foul being done to her, I just keep seeing people throw guesses out, and these seem the most in-line with the total contents of the reports.

He doesn't look like a murderer. He has no choice but to stay out of view. I suspect he's told LE everything he knows. It's not good enough for the her parents because they still don't know where she is, but I suspect he doesn't know either. All the conjectures here are reasonable but at the end of the day, I doubt it's going to be him. It reminds me of the Leanne Bearden case a few years ago. She disappeared. Everyone thought it was the hubby. He would do interviews and everyone would tear him apart. Oh, he looks like he's lying, he sounds like he's lying. Maybe he just is heartbroken. Leanne walked out and killed herself. Unfortunately, those things happen, more so than someone being killed.

My guess, gabby walked out on him. They were arguing. That much has been established. Again, my guess, he expected her to be back in a half hour. She didn't come back. He didn't know what to do. He's heart sick. Look at the video, he really looks like he loves her and is not particularly controlling. Just a guy in love with his girlfriend. So thinking, he left her there, or stole her van, is probably off the mark. I believe she left after an argument and left him there. And no matter what you do in that situation, the boyfriend is going to look suspicious.

I hope she's safe and I hope we can close this chapter. This is the kind of case that we have to let LE do their job. Start by interviewing everyone else at the campground. I'm sure they have records of folks who left. And search the area extensively. In this case though, foul play is probably not the answer.

Le have said he has not cooperated or said a word. As have her parents. He really needs to - to save his soul.

I have a hard time believing she was just left on the side of the road by him. Even so, she could have found a way to call someone that she knew. I’m sure a public place would allow her to use the phone to at least call the police. Or she could have found a park ranger to help her.
That's why many people think something happened to her, and he might be the cause of it. She hasn't been in contact with anyone, the assumption is she is not able to because she has been harmed.

LE and family says he has refused to talk to them. So he hasn't told them anything let alone everything he knows.

And what does a murderer look like?

Things that stood out to me on the police report (
https://mobile.twitter.com/kkuizon/status/1438202349395267584/photo/1
https://twitter.com/kkuizon/status/1438207512684212229/photo/1)

He was going to leave her alone, in an unfamiliar place thousands of miles from home with no family or friends, taking with him a vehicle that legally belonged to her... In those circumstances, what 22-year-old young woman wouldn't be freaking out out?

DID ANYONE ASK IF *SHE* FELT SAFE?

This sounds like gaslighting, IMO. It's her fault because she has mental health issues and she's acting irrational when NO ONE is addressing the fact that her fiancé just nearly STOLE her vehicle and left her all by herself in the middle of nowhere.
Why did she struggle/try to force him to pull over for police? Why didn't he see police behind him? Why was he speeding?

Right, and that's what his attorney is saying too:

"In my experience, intimate partners are often the first person law enforcement focuses their attention on in cases like this and the warning that 'any statement made will be used against you' is true, regardless of whether my client had anything to do with Ms. Petito's disappearance," the statement from attorney Steven Bertolino said. "As such, on the advice of counsel, Mr. Laundrie is not speaking on this matter."
And the Police Chief had a response for Attorney Bertolino:

PURE GOLD! MOO

Chief Todd Garrison@NPPDPoliceChief

Mr. Steven Bertolino, esq. the @NorthPortPolice
needs your help in finding Gabby Petito. Please call us to arrange a conversation with Brian Laundrie. Two people left on a trip and one person returned! #wheresgabby #FindGabby #fbitampa #gabbypetito

1:43 PM · Sep 15, 2021

Well, since they camped miles out of town and off any major road, he would have had a long walk, trotting along behind them. And they had already told the bartender about a different man (the "creeper") who had been annoying them for at least a week.

I think we can safely drop BL as a suspect in the Moab murders.
The cops took him to a hotel after the fight.

All his attorney needed to say is that his client has told LE everything he knows about Gabby's last whereabouts/plans. The way he phrases it continues to make BL appear like the world's worst rat. What gives?

E_WgdKRVgAAlTlr

1:04 PM · Sep 15, 2021

Agreed.

There is no shame in being bi-polar or just struggling with depression.
I feel badly for Gabby as in the videos she seemed happy and excited.

In order for an extended road trip both parties have to make it work and they need to be on the same page.
Tbh, taking such a trip can be fun but a lot of work, throw any emotional issues or whatever LE witnessed and things can unravel quickly.
Not blaming anyone who is struggling.
MOO.

This, my friend. This. No shame at all. People I love deeply struggle with bipolar disorder. I give nothing but credit to anyone
***DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT SAYING SUICIDE IS WHAT HAPPENED HERE***

That being said, it's actually extremely common for people with bipolar disorder to commit suicide when they are manic or hypomanic. Mania includes impulsivity, a lack of future thought, grandiose ideas, etc. It's also not always euphoria; it can also present as extreme anger. Additionally, someone with bipolar knows what it is like to feel both the highs and the lows, so when someone is manic and seems like everything is going great in their life, they also know what will be coming after: an incredibly crushing low. Some people make an impulsive decision to avoid that crushing low while they are in the throes of a manic episode.

Source: Someone with bipolar disorder II who also knows multiple people who have done or planned to do the above.

One of my best friends committed suicide three years ago. She was joyful, talented, and one of the smartest women I've ever known. She also had Bipolar II Disorder.

I feel your entire post so deeply. Thank you. ♥️

If the police were trying to defuse the situation, and GP had expressed fear that BL might drive off and leave her, it makes sense that they would have taken him to stay elsewhere and only given her access to the van.
Also in the link to the formal police report identified Gabby as the owner of the van. What you said also makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why did she struggle/try to force him to pull over for police? Why didn't he see police behind him? Why was he speeding?
I couldn't figure out if he really didn't see police in the rear view or if she hit him to get his attention because he didn't see them as soon as she did. And going 45 in a 15mph zone is easy to do if there aren't a lot of pedestrians around and the area isn't windy or dangerous.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member