Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #20

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by PommyMommy, Sep 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carbuff

carbuff Well-Known Member

Yeah, but then it makes no sense that he went back to Utah.

sapphire blue and Nurse Gen like this.

2. Krazykatlady

Krazykatlady Active Member

Because he wasn’t thinking clearly b/c he had just murdered his fiancé. Criminals do stupid stuff. I have no problem believing he drove that van back by himself in an adrenaline fueled nearly non-stop trip.

3. LvsAMystry

LvsAMystry Well-Known Member

4. rleigh123

rleigh123 Well-Known Member

Excellent point.

Quiche and vls12345 like this.
  5. Shellinaya

Shellinaya Former Member

Blow off steam or relieve his own anxiety? I get the feeling BL spent a lot of time in nature hiking around, alleviating his own stress. He just enjoyed it, IMO. Maybe they'd had another fight, maybe she was already dead, and he had to "walk it off" and calm down in order to think straight, and walking long distances was his way to do that. Also had the added bonus of establishing some kind of alibi for him, and he also got to shower. Win win win for him.
    Maybe he had some of her possessions, maybe something incriminating, in the backpack and he got rid of that during his hiking.
    Maybe her dead body was still in the van and he couldn't bring himself to get rid of the body yet. He had to think about what to do. Maybe even make sure she was really dead.

Speculation - IMO

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    Gemmie, Quiche, JayWill and 6 others like this.
  6. MLaps

MLaps Well-Known Member

It could also be marijuana laced with another drug. When I was a teenager, my ex smoked pot laced with heroin once and he had a terrible reaction. He had no idea it was, and I'm just glad I paid attention in D.A.R.E. otherwise I might have been sick right along with him.

7. Hyway

Hyway Well-Known Member

oh agreed, its much easier and you can move faster but it isn't nearly as much fun. Or like you said, road walking is more detactable. On my half thru-hike of the AT, I road walked a lot of Skyline Drive. Lots of Trail Magic. BL wouldn't want that unless he really was using a tarp to hike the snake river and then he wouldn't care if he was seen.

AnnaGrace, LAhiker and carbuff like this.
  8. Skigirl

Skigirl Verified expert in neuroscience

I just did a long two-day drive last month and stayed in a large hotel near the Baltimore airport, and Dominos left the box outside my second-floor door, not at the front desk, FWIW.

HoneySugar, borndem, SuperTmo and 2 others like this.
  9. PhaedraMaeve

PhaedraMaeve Active Member

AD792B8C-19A7-4E1F-A1D0-B92F87FF9313.png Here’s a screenshot of the book BL was
    “caught reading”

borndem, carbuff, vls12345 and 2 others like this.
  10. Wicked Strong

Wicked Strong Well-Known Member

abr, borndem, sapphire blue and 8 others like this.
  11. BigCityAccountant

BigCityAccountant Well-Known Member

Ty
    Gas stations typically have about 30 days of footage or more.

12. catchingdelivery

catchingdelivery Well-Known Member

Did you watch it from the beginning because she was taken away from earshot of BL, allowed to sit safely in the police vehicle and encouraged to tell the LEO exactly what was going on.

From watching that bodycam footage it shows she was given the opportunity to speak to the LEO and tell exactly what had been happening.

13. Hope4More

Hope4More Well-Known Member

A full campground & others cruising the loop to find an open site meets my criteria of people all around.

carbuff and priyaya like this.
  14. MLaps

MLaps Well-Known Member

If her dead body was in the van at all, I'd be shocked.

15. DidYouThinkOfThat

DidYouThinkOfThat Well-Known Member

QUESTIONS:

In the body cam video released by the New York Times on YouTube, at 41:56 Brian reaches into the vehicle to grab Gabby's phone. At 41:59, the officer sticks her hand out to grab the phone. Brian avoids this, and proceeds to do something with the phone before handing it to the officer.

1) Was Brian unlocking the phone? Was he controlling her communication and only he knew the password?

2) Was Brian checking the phone for messages or notifications before handing it over to the officer - is this controlling behavior?

3) What was Brian doing?

Has this been discussed in any of the 20 threads?

Bogbean, HoneySugar, ZoriahNZ and 8 others like this.
  16. jamicat

jamicat Well-Known Member

There are certain things that have to be verified and put in order. BL has not been accused of anything yet. GP‘s autopsy results have not been finalized. Cause of death has not been officially determined.

BL’s family from NY and parents knew the attorney so he was the one they called when BL told them hecwas in trouble

elleni likes this.
  17. Matic

Matic Well-Known Member

OMG. My Grandfather and Grandmother both (RIP) used to say that about Carter all the time!! Thanks for that!

18. Skigirl

Skigirl Verified expert in neuroscience

I am entertaining all sorts of things I didn't consider possible yesterday. But why bring the van back to the house? Why not say, "she kicked me out and went on her way, no idea where she is now"?

Sunny123, gitana1, Nurse Gen and 9 others like this.
  19. KidonGadol

KidonGadol Well-Known Member

Not with suffocation after that period of time (there is bleeding inside the eyeball (petechial embolism I believe it is called ) in that case but after 21 days out doors there's not much eyeball left in the normal sense ) .

Ditto if she took an overdose of barbiturates - you'd need a lab to tell you that. (that can be ALMOST ruled out if the body were buried in any manner but it appears to be out in the open from non LE reports. )

none of this is open and shut, nor can be guessed at.

K Gadol

CrimeDawg123, RabidDogISC and LAhiker like this.
  20. RabidDogISC

RabidDogISC Well-Known Member

I think LE gave her the van 1) it was legally hers and 2) it gave her a way to leave him permanently as he was in the hotel with access to go back home to FL from there.

But, she unfortunately chose to continue on with him after their 24 hour separation.

Gemmie, Manderfly, Sanz and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.