Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #20

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by PommyMommy, Sep 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skigirl

Skigirl Verified expert in neuroscience

I think they both would have assumed that the very, very public scene near the food co-op was why they were being pulled over. They would have both have gone into the encounter with two goals: 1) Stopping the police from arresting him, and 2) Getting on their way as quickly as possible.

She thought that it was a given that they were worried about her wellbeing. That's why she immediately took the blame as soon as she got out of the van.

You can see that they are both astonished when it starts to become clear that the police think that she's the abuser. I don't think it occurred to either of them that anyone would think she was an abuser -- but it did occur to both of them that people would think that he was.

pcrum12, Roxtrope, thistle and 15 others like this.

2. bellesnwhistles

bellesnwhistles Well-Known Member

I couldn’t even get half way through. Honestly, as a woman I don’t think everyone will realize that even just the tones used can be triggering. I did not like the way the bearded officer was talking to her and I only saw a brief, brief bit because it made me emotional and I had to stop watching. Gabby didn’t have that luxury.

talienaah, Roxtrope, Cora95 and 22 others like this.
  3. Puzzles8

Puzzles8 Exonerated Mountain Lion

I agree more training would help, but you need to figure out how to fund it.

4. Eli9

Eli9 Well-Known Member

We don't have flight records.

GP did phone her mother during the incident with LE.

5. sasha17

sasha17 Curiouser & curiouser

That makes more sense. Thank you!

ChiCubs2016, Seenit and LAhiker like this.
  6. VA Investigator

VA Investigator Active Member

I have a question and I am not sure if it has been brought up yet. Does anyone think it is possible BL & GP were up at Colter Bay together and had a fight and she left him stranded there. Then he got pissed and worked his way back to the Spread Creek area (where he got a ride to hitchhiking) and when he got back there his anger for being left behind got the best of him and he killed her there and then took off for home on that evening or next day on the 30th? They may have already been at the area in Spread Creek before hand and he figured that she went back to that area when she left him stranded and he went back there looking for her? She did have the area marked on the camping app so its possible they were there 1st then went to Colter Bay together and had a fight and she left him. He gets pissed and goes back to Spread Creek area to find her. Would explain why he was hitchhiking alone and would also explain why he told the couple that picked him up that she was back there doing videos because he was embarrassed / angry she left him alone and would provide some motive for her being killed at the location.

7. SuziQ

SuziQ Well-Known Member

My take on the Stan text is that BL was used to calling gpa Stan and he slipped and typed that while he was pretending to be Gabby texting. Yellowstone vs Yosemite he either confused like many do or he was purposely misleading. I really don't think there is any more to read into the text than that.

8. builder

builder Well-Known Member

Did you all know you can fly directly from Sarasota to JH airport.? opps wrong, but you can fly there from many other places in FL. sorry

Attached Files:

9. Charliegirl610

Charliegirl610 Active Member

I have a question and will apologize if this has been discussed, I can't keep up with you all..... If they know when the van entered North Port, it is assumed they can then back track and get photos of the van going through toll booths that have cameras and can show the driver. Surely, BL would have had to cross bridges/tolls from WY to FL. Also, I'm hopeful that the LE will go back to wherever the Laundrie families trash is dumped and search for items that were disposed of from the van after returning on 9/1. I really pray that GP and BL's cell phones are found. They will hold scads of information.

10. Sassafrass

Sassafrass Well-Known Member

This is a good point - and on a larger point:

did neither of them have friends? We have heard about her texts to her mom, but...as a parent of two children just a couple years younger than these two, my observation is that it is rare that two people this age would not have friends who are in touch very regularly, who might have them on friendfinder/whatever app shows where all your friends are, etc.

If they've been completely wrapped up in each other for the last couple of years, and it was a toxic relationship, then okay, maybe. But it seems odd that no (or maybe 1) friend has come forward with any observation, comment, or information about their relationship or when they last heard/stopped hearing from them.

11. Puzzles8

Puzzles8 Exonerated Mountain Lion

Walmart has more security cameras than Carter has pills.......

12. rougeforces

rougeforces Well-Known Member

It's just as fast as I think is possible to get that van from the camping spot to where it was found.

Probably the reason I was so curious about this.. I have done non stop drives solo. Tampa to San Diego ~44 hours. Chicago to St. Petersburg ~ 19 hours. Pittsburg to Tampa ~18 hours. It's doable even if you are not amped up on adrenaline or some other stimulant. (Well, coffee is probably a requirement!). For solo, considering a quick nap or 3 maybe push the start time back a couple hours.

13. SuziQ

SuziQ Well-Known Member

I shudder to think about what went down when they reconnected the next day.

14. stormymama

stormymama Well-Known Member

I hate to beat the Stan thing to death even more, but I think it’s what tipped Gabby’s mom off - that it was BL using Gabby’s phone and instead of calling him Grandpa (or whatever she called him) he slipped and used real name, Stan. MOO

15. Hyway

Hyway Well-Known Member

I was confused by your question for a moment until I realized you thought my comment about not being correct was about her being terrified of him leaving her stranded. I was saying that the reason she didn't get the motel wasn't because she was terrified of him leaving her, but because she was seen as the aggressor and the shelter doesn't take in the aggressor.

LAhiker and penguinface like this.
  16. redfishingirl

redfishingirl Well-Known Member

We really need to keep in mind that LE likely has the answers to all these questions. A lot of people are asking these questions like the info doesn't exist. I'm sure they know exactly when he left and what route he took based on cell phone pings and other data, plus other tips to FBI that haven't been released to the public. A LOT of the evidence may not be released for a long time. That doesn't mean that it's not out there.

As far as the camera that got his license plate at the exit, I live in the area and they are just normal highway exits. I am going to have to look for the camera when I go down that way Wednesday. I had no idea they are even there.

17. lizzied

lizzied Well-Known Member

my final thought about GP's last text about Yosemite. If BL wrote that....and i suspect he did, am i wrong to think it was to later throw LE a very misplaced bone, so LE would start looking for her in a totally different place? I've lost track if this has been discussed...sorry.

sapphire blue, SuziQ, LAhiker and 4 others like this.
  18. Springrain

Springrain Who was the 1980 Ventura County Jane Doe?

Sure, but, despite all the media attention on Gabby (and, by extension, Brian), he is really not at all distinctive or interesting looking. If he threw on a baseball cap and some shades on him, got enough cash for a burner phone and went to a Walmart, Target, wherever to buy a phone, nobody would think twice about it imo. Especially if he bought it before Gabby's media attention started picking up speed.

19. bambibones

bambibones Well-Known Member

I only saw that police said she could when they were wrapping up. Did you see or hear something else to confirm she actually made the call? I never saw her hold the phone to her ear.

bellesnwhistles and Seenit like this.
  20. Laura456

Laura456 Well-Known Member

If I were a friend, I just wouldn't want to be in the public eye, I'd call the police and tell them all I knew and that's it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.