Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it was just a slip up on his part. He's panicking, thinking of a thousand things, but in his own brain he calls the guy "Stan" instead of "Grandpa", so that leaked out...
Maybe. But it’s a pretty remarkable slip.
Even if she had her grandpa in her phone by his first name he knew well enough to text her mother about him. IMO it seems to fit in with all the other oddly obvious things he’s done…

- he came home in HER van without her (ballsy)
- he fails to impersonate her via phone properly to her own mother
- if he made the last IG post on her account it wasn’t in her styling
- he sent a text to her mom about a location they were never going to (Yosemite)
- he comes home and is silent
- he didn’t try very hard to hide the body…
- he turns off her phone the day he gets back

Could be an amateur murderer, sure. But it could also be someone who wanted her to be found.

/JMO

Forgive me if I missed information on this. How or who financed this huge trip by 2 young people?

It’s my understanding that they funded it themselves with money they saved. They lived with BL’s parents and, according to a media interview with a former co-worker, both worked at Publix. It appears as though Gabby was trying to build a #vanlife social media presence in order to earn money as well.

What time was the Aug 27th text?
Maybe GP was still alive.
It seems like GP & BL used her phone mostly. It might not have been unusual for BL to use GP's phone, especially if his is not working/ charging (seemed there was an issue with it). I know my kids and spouse do the same thing using my phone but use words/ names so the other person knows its not me and usually even knows which one of them it is.

Last edited:
I realize they might be well-meaning, but I wish people wouldn't mark up the wilderness like that. It is disrespectful to others. This is a country with folks from many religions and private points of view, and this is land that belongs to everybody. In addition, many of our public lands were sacred sites belonging to Native Americans.

Marking public land with symbols is considered vandalism; rangers and volunteers have to spend a lot of energy removing them. I was at one campsite on Cape Cod where someone had carved crosses into about 10 trees on the site where I camped. The rangers planned on tracking down the most recent occupants.

Maybe cut flowers would be an appropriate memento to mark Gabby's passing, something that, even if not strictly "no trace" as required, nature would make to disappear in the course of time.

This "leave no trace" ethic when you're in the wilderness. ....You don't leave signs that you've been there. You don't create hardship for creatures who live there (e.g. by moving rocks).

If anyone is curious about the "leave no trace" principles on public lands, here is the National Park statement on moving natural objects:
  • Leave What You Find
    • Preserve the past: examine, photograph, but do not touch cultural or historic structures and artifacts.
    • Leave rocks, plants and other natural objects as you find them.
    • Avoid introducing or transporting non-native species.
    • Do not build structures, furniture, or dig trenches.
  • Source: Leave No Trace Seven Principles (U.S. National Park Service)
Perhaps I seem mean-spirited, but those rocks on the river bed belong to the universe, not to one person, not to one event.

Not to mention, if it IS her final resting place, it's kinda tacky to mark it up.

If it is NOT her final resting place, it's tacky to get fake internet points by pretending it is.

Maybe he was devastated that they broke up. Or he was protecting her. Or maybe her parents didn’t know he left the trip early because of a breakup. I’m sure they would not have been happy for her to have been on the trip alone. There are certainly reasons that would make sense. It’s fair game to think this could’ve been the case IMO.

I'm not a detective, nor do I play one on TV, but I would imagine that if you are a detective and you aren't actively trying to punch holes in your own case you're likely to get a beat down by the defense when it goes to trial.

Maybe. But it’s a pretty remarkable slip.
Even if she had her grandpa in her phone by his first name he knew well enough to text her mother about him. IMO it seems to fit in with all the other oddly obvious things he’s done…

- he came home in HER van without her (ballsy)
- he fails to impersonate her via phone properly to her own mother
- if he made the last IG post on her account it wasn’t in her styling
- he sent a text to her mom about a location they were never going to (Yosemite)
- he comes home and is silent
- he didn’t try very hard to hide the body…
- he turns off her phone the day he gets back

Could be an amateur murderer, sure. But it could also be someone who wanted her to be found.

/JMO
I think you're giving him too much credit for smarts. (I see no evidence of that... ) Is your point that he was trying to get caught/make it obvious that he was the perp?

Emotional reactions are spontaneous. I doubt she realized someone would call 911.
All of the things took time to happen. That's not really spontaneous. At any rate, it seems like if she is that terrified of him, the antagonistic nature of her actions would have registered at some point.

Going on idea that it was an unknown assailant... They didn't have to know her well enough, in fact most likely didn't know her. They didn't say grandfather to the mother for all they knew "Stan" was a friend. But knew if they texted the mom, she would know who Stan was and would tell Stan to stop. That's why refer to him as Stan never guessing would be the grandfather.

Are you seriously suggesting that Gabby was killed by an unknown assailant?

Well that confirms he did make it back to Florida on 9/1.
Witness statements are notoriously unreliable. Add to it the fact that we’re not talking about yesterday, there has been some time that has gone by and with time memories can get fuzzy in regards to exact dates.
Comments were limited on Gabby's instagram, meaning only people she follows back can comment, not sure if they have been all along. If it was just changed to that setting, it's possible all social media might be under LE/FBI's thumb right now.

From what I can tell, Brian and his parents scrubbed their social media at some point. Obviously IDK when, but it’s odd for not one of them to have some kind of presence outside of Pinterest.

My best guess is 400ml a tank, so 6 or 7 stops minimum, if starting with a full tank. I'm guessing at least 8 stops. I hope the FBI has as much video evidence as I suspect.
This is a great point.

Average price of gas in the US is $ 3.23 per gallon.
https://www.wkbw.com/news/gas-price...ear-high-averaging-3-23-per-gallon-in-buffalo

Ford Transit 2012 had a 15.4 gallon tank. It averaged 23 mpg.
Used 2012 Ford Transit Connect Specs & Features | Edmunds

The drive from Jackson Hole to North Point FL is approx 2387 miles.
Google Maps

Doing the math the gas cost for that trip back to FL was approx. $500. (2387/23) x current price of gas $3,23.

Who provided the $500 in gas money? Hopefully someone used a credit or debit card......

JMO

Witness statements are notoriously unreliable. Add to it the fact that we’re not talking about yesterday, there has been some time that has gone by and with time memories can get fuzzy in regards to exact dates.

From what I can tell, Brian and his parents scrubbed their social media at some point. Obviously IDK when, but it’s odd for not one of them to have some kind of presence outside of Pinterest.

We know the van entered North Port on 9/1 around 10AM from the affidavit. It was spotted by a license plate reader.

We can't say for sure that BL was the driver at that moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304