Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #23

Status
Not open for further replies.
LE actually preferred to give the hotel room to Gabby, & one of the officers called a supervisor to get permission to do so. His request to his supervisor to give her the room, not B, was turned down because G was the "suspect," or primary aggressor. This is said outright in the bodycam footage. There was no agenda to give her the van to escape; the agenda was to separate the two for one night.

There was two conversations about GP and the hotel room and the DV shelter. The first one was when they were discussing the options with BL if they arrested GP. They could take her to jail and then said they could get her a motel room and BL would take the van for the night. And then asked BL if they had money. BL said no. But later, after they decided not to arrest her, they still wanted to voluntarily separate the two. The LE knew that he could get a nights stay at a motel courtesy of the DV shelter since the shelter doesn't allow men. He also asked, knowing the answer would be no, if they could take in the female. The shelter rep said no they can't take in the aggressor.

So the end result that wouldn't cost BL and GP any money but would keep them apart without arresting anyone would be for GP to keep the van and BL to get the free room.

But I suspect they both slept in the hotel. there was no legal requirement that they couldn't.

I can’t think of a reason why the foresters would number the same downed tree in two different places with two different numbers.

Occam’s Razor tells us that if there was literally just a homicide investigation in that exact same place and the paint is deliberately numbered, the markings are part of the investigation.

IMO, of course
Paint was even still wet!
Crime scene investigators just opened it 9 minutes before the journos descended.

Good detailed report here from Df who sometimes apply themselves to thorough reporting.
Stones arranged in cross pattern found at campsite where authorities may have found Gabby Petito | Daily Mail Online

I can't speak unilaterally or for all, but I'm almost positive it's been said that the person making the original 911 call of Brian slapping Gabby, had in fact flown the coop by the time the police showed up.

If that is true, the officers did not in fact 'ignore' it. They noted it in their report. How much weight are they supposed to give to it if the original "maker" of the complaint isn't currently around to be queried? People have lied on "domestics" before to get other people in trouble.
I listened to the call and they weren’t told to stick around afaik.

you missed the point, it was always up to those 2 to end the relationship and leave each during that 24 hour “break”. LE had zero control or responsibility over that like others have referred to IMO.
No. Your words: "LE did it that way to give her an out of the relationship with her van."

As I said, the hotel was assigned to B only because they couldn't give it to G. Go back & look at the video. G was left with the van *only* because LE couldn't give it to B for the night.

It does not specifically state his sister didn't answer. 'All' does not specify which family members and so does not necessarily mean they contacted the sister also.

I really think we need to consider that BL could have got his parents cell phones and blocked Gabby's parents numbers, this would
Earlier is was suggested that the marks in the tree were caused by bullets.
I don't think he shot Gabby personally, because I believe shots would have been heard. There were other campers in the general area. Having camped in the wilderness myself, it is so very quiet.

No one has come forward that shots were heard, at least that we know of.
But...maybe someone has.
Check out
Evidence #16 its on a log look under the paint ...if you enlarge it... I see a drop and then a running drip and then it lands on a lower sliver of wood....
edited to add its at point 0.22 on the video

https://twitter.com/thenewsoncnbc/status/1440454624196972552?s=20

No rocks visible BUT I did research the USFS use of red paint and when used it does not include numbers so it would appear to be crime scene markers? My apologies if I misled anyone on my first reaction to the markings.
More detailed report here.
Remember journos got in 90 minutes after crime scene analysts re-opened it. Paint was still wet on some of the trees
Stones arranged in cross pattern found at campsite where authorities may have found Gabby Petito | Daily Mail Online

Exactly.

There was two conversations about GP and the hotel room and the DV shelter. The first one was when they were discussing the options with BL if they arrested GP. They could take her to jail and then said they could get her a motel room and BL would take the van for the night. And then asked BL if they had money. BL said no. But later, after they decided not to arrest her, they still wanted to voluntarily separate the two. The LE knew that he could get a nights stay at a motel courtesy of the DV shelter since the shelter doesn't allow men. He also asked, knowing the answer would be no, if they could take in the female. The shelter rep said no they can't take in the aggressor.

So the end result that wouldn't cost BL and GP any money but would keep them apart without arresting anyone would be for GP to keep the van and BL to get the free room.

But I suspect they both slept in the hotel. there was no legal requirement that they couldn't.

That's why I think that the text was either Gabby sending a coded message to her mom that she was in danger from him, or him sending her mom a message to make her think that it was from Gabby. Other perps have done that.

If it was a coded message to her mom, why would her mom be talking about how it's odd and didn't sound like Gabby?

Brian is not in the reserve. There is almost 0 possibility that he showed up with the van, without Gabby, and his parents thought everything was fine. The attorney was already onboard and they were ignoring Gabby’s family before it became an actual missing persons case. The reserve was a diversion, nothing else. BL did not off himself. If he is responsible for GP’s death, (I would assume at this point h3 is) then suicide is not a usual trait of the type. I would venture a guess, he is either still relatively close to home, or he has made his way to a familiar place. I would be checking small islands near the fl coast close to his last known whereabouts. Not named islands, but sand bars with trees, and vegetation. I grew up on the San Jacinto river. Spent my childhood building forts and fishing off these types of islands. I’d be checking into missing boats, or boats belonging to family. Checking local gas stations and grocery stores to see if any of them were spotted filling gas cans, or buying large quantities of bottled water. If not there, it definitely somewhere he’s familiar with.

It's pretty standard as nationwide protocol; or at least it's what's in textbooks and taught in police academy.

How exactly do folks who want it to be changed, think one would go about getting truth out of a subject in a he-said, she-said situation?

If the officer doesn't identify with Brian, and treats him hostilely as part of the discussion; that makes it worse and has the possibility to make Brian worse.

First people were upset that "Gabby didn't get a chance to talk to a woman alone", then we in fact did find that she was separated and questioned by a female member of the park police; and then people suggest Gabby would have been too intimidated by HER uniform in order to speak honestly.

Interrogators must enter into the language of the interrogatee (? not a word, I probably know). It's standard trust-building behavior, which both sides of the equation are supposed to get (because aggressing towards people who are discovered to have weapons could further endanger both cop AND Gabby if Brian had felt threatened); and which it seems both the male and female half of our arguing couple both in fact got.

This makes tons of sense, and I wonder how people would suggest legislating that we fix this? Clearly the shelter doesn't want the violent person under their roof for CYA, because if the violent person attacks another resident or worker in the shelter, I'm sure there's a lawsuit there.
Thank you for your well thought out and informative post. I agree with it 100%.

I am feeling so frustrated with what appears to be inaction on LE's and BL's parents' part. I know more might be going on behind the scenes than we know, but...

If my son were missing, and I believed him to be a good person, I would be doing something-- coming up with a reward, searching, begging, what have you! If my son was missing and I believed he was involved in a murder I would also be doing something, like helping LE! I see no explanation for the parents' inaction except a) they know where he is or b) they don't care about him, Gabby, or anyone at all.

So why isn't LE leaning on them somehow? Find SOMETHING to make them sweat or have to come in and talk, do the same with the sister, post a reward... literally anything. I can't take all of this inaction. I sure hope some kind of pressure and information gathering is going on that we're not seeing. I needed to vent that so that I can get on with work and stop hitting refresh here and on Twitter, etc.

I’ve noticed several posts asking about the link verifying the incident involving BL traveling mid trip without Gabby to move things in storage.

Here’s one link:
It’s dated Sept 14; updated Sept 15
Cops were called out to 'incident' involving missing van life girl and her fiancé | Daily Mail Online

Schmidt (Gabby’s mom) has recently seen photos in the news of Brian's father performing yard work.

'If they cared about her, they would want to find her,' she said. 'Why aren't you out helping find her?'

'I don't want to seem accusatory,' she said. 'It's confusing, my mind is turning right now.'

She's also questioning Brian's trip back to Florida in August to help his father move their things into a storage unit. She wonders why it was necessary to move Gabby's things during their road trip and what became of her stuff.

'Where are her things?' she asked.

Hello all! My first time posting. I just barely noticed, on the Nomadic Statik Spotify account, the playlist which was once called "Self Consumption" was changed to have nothing in the title. It seems like this change, or a change, was made to the playlist today.

ETA link - playlist by Nomadic Statik | Spotify

Has anything else changed on this playlist?

Shooting would have caused a big ruckus and lots of attention. People would be actively looking for the source of the gunfire , imo. They are all camped with their families and they would want to know why there was shooting. JMO

I have heard gunshots while camping (day and night) and there’s no way I’d actively go towards them :eek:

Just a slight correction - I beleive the officer was speaking to someone at the shelter (not his direct supervisor) and based on the shelter's policy, the could not let Brian stay for the reason you have stated.
Good point. Whoever it was had the authority for the stay over the officer. Thanks.

So if the officers had listened to the 911 callers claims would those claims been probable cause to arrest BL for DV?
In the end, regardless of how the officers handled the situation, for the forseable future, nothing would have changed! They would have been together the next day and continued their journey. I rewatched the entire bodycam footage and came away with the impression I initially had - these LE officers did a really good job based on the information they had at hand. You can always Monday morning quaterback a situation and come up a critique which fits your desired narrative and internal bias.

Has drowning been speculated upon as the cause of Gabby's death?

Not sure if this could be determined at autopsy though considering the length of time she was there for.
That could be determined at autopsy. Even if there was not water left in her lungs or her lungs had degraded, lung tissue would be tested for PH levels, which would still remain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks