Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #29

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by PommyMommy, Sep 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebedbug

thebedbug Well-Known Member

AGREE
    MOSTLY AGREE
    MOSTLY DISAGREE
    UNKNOWN

jackhammer, JayWill and MadMcGoo like this.

2. Jealoushe

Jealoushe Well-Known Member

Blue & Red Heeler mom here :)

3. LaurieLou

LaurieLou Member

CLGM and Cardinal47 like this.
  4. jamicat

jamicat Well-Known Member

I think FBI running that show now. But FL also heavily involved and having to pay for a lot of this.

Cardinal47 and ctmom like this.
  5. GRT

GRT Well-Known Member

I don't know what happened in that case, I didn't follow it. I'm just addressing federal charges.

Cardinal47 and ctmom like this.
  6. Alethea

Alethea Verified Attorney

As it happens, I am an attorney and I practice federal law almost exclusively. You can read the statute yourself. 18 U.S.C. 2 covers aiding & abetting a federal crime and 18 U.S.C. 3 covers acting as an accessory after the fact related to a federal crime. If you do the acts described below (assisting someone who committed a federal crime) with the mindset described below (knowingly), you have violated a federal statute.

18 U.S. Code § 3 - Accessory after the fact

Whoever, knowing that an offense against the United States has been committed, receives, relieves, comforts or assists the offender in order to hinder or prevent his apprehension, trial or punishment, is an accessory after the fact.

Except as otherwise expressly provided by any Act of Congress, an accessory after the fact shall be imprisoned not more than one-half the maximum term of imprisonment or (notwithstanding section 3571) fined not more than one-half the maximum fine prescribed for the punishment of the principal, or both; or if the principal is punishable by life imprisonment or death, the accessory shall be imprisoned not more than 15 years.

18 U.S. Code § 3 - Accessory after the fact

7. blueberryjam

blueberryjam Former Member

Agree and I think advice from their lawyer has been to whatever you do don't lie, just shut up. So not sure if the parents will be charged with any crime. Even helping him hide is not a crime, as at the time as he had no warrant, he was free to move wherever. Unless it can be proven they knew that he committed murder. I guess they could get charged with filing a false police report if knew he wasn't missing. But a lot more has to come out against them to prove a crime was committed knowingly.

Edit: I think the person above me is more professional, so take mine as a grain of salt

GRT, ShadyLady, Alethea and 2 others like this.
  8. RabidDogISC

RabidDogISC Well-Known Member

Your timeline would explain why BL’s family didn’t answer any calls or texts from GP’s family if they were “camping” that weekend. It’s also the same time GP’s family reported her missing. So the activities line up, just a weird time to go camping IMO.

9. Amster

Amster Well-Known Member

She had her van after the traffic stop….her keys, her phone, her belongings. And, a female park ranger to talk to. Would love to know what Gabby said to the park ranger. Whatever, Gabby wasn’t ready to leave BL.

ShadyLady, RabidDogISC and GRT like this.
  10. GRT

GRT Well-Known Member

Or a mass killer.
    Or terrorist.

Someone who is a clear and dangerous threat to society.

11. JoLoMo

JoLoMo Member

Simply Southern and SuperTmo like this.
  12. jas5lf

jas5lf Member

I think this was on the Dr. Phil interview where GB's dad mentions it.

13. ninvestigate

ninvestigate Well-Known Member

I have been wondering this myself! What's the game plan for when they find him? To announce, at that instant, that he is a suspect and bring him in for questioning? At which point his lawyer will fly in from NY and be present? Why not announce him a suspect now? What is the protocol for a manhunt involving a POI who is a legal-age adult? Has there even been a manhunt (of any size/scope) of a POI? What was that like?

Shellinaya and GRT like this.
  14. bellyup

bellyup Well-Known Member

From Oct 2020 - Aug 2021 BL has fifteen posts on Instagram in 11 months. That's 1.3 posts a month. He was pretty much non existent in the world of IG.
    That is not a large social media presence at all what so ever for someone his age. I have kids in their age range. Most of these kids post multiple times per day and would accumulate hundreds of posts on IG in that time range. Especially if they had any aspirations of any type of "influencer" type mindset.

And I don't think we can consider the Pinterest at all. I don't believe for one moment that BL was even using Pinterest. (especially since the oldest post I can find on the account is 2019 right when GP would have been in his life)

LaurieLou, TotusTuus and Girlyloop13 like this.
  15. GRT

GRT Well-Known Member

That also is a good point. She could have left.

But, I think given her emotional state, it was just difficult at that time. It's too bad one of her parents didn't fly out and go back with her.

16. WestGL

WestGL Well-Known Member

It wasn’t going well at all. They had dozens of followers, at the most hundreds. Not hundreds of thousands but 100 people, probably mostly family and friends. That’s intense pressure if they had put 20 or $30,000 into the van and the trip.

17. Figuring

Figuring Well-Known Member

I’m so glad there’s an attorney here! I watched a clip last night from “Banfield” & the guest lawyer said that in Florida there’s an exception to “Accessory after the fact” that prevents parents & siblings from being subject to it. I found that quite surprising. Is he right about that? &/or does state law even apply if this is a federal case? TIA!

edit to add I will try & find the clip!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
  18. redfishingirl

redfishingirl Well-Known Member

I wish they wouldn't all talk at once. I can't understand what they are saying. LOL

Oh Nevermind it's just Desantis.

Fretgyrl, HoneySugar, LAhiker and 2 others like this.
  19. kittythehare

kittythehare Well-Known Member

Indeed!

'WHERE ARE HER THINGS?'

20. katydid23

katydid23 Well-Known Member

Where does the blue heeler fit into this case? I guess I missed it. [I am the grandma of a Blue Heeler fur baby]
    I want to welcome you to WS and thank you for expressing your thoughts here.

I do have some thoughts in response. It does seem odd that you say you cannot take a position on Brian's involvement because it would be judgmental towards a possibly suicidal man. And yet you can craft a tale concerning her best friend, involving her in the crime somehow?
    o_O

As to point 1----I disagree that she was the aggressor. Did she push back? Yes, she aggressively tried to keep her place inside the camper. She did not want to be locked out and abandoned---which in the end, tragically she was.

As to point 2----I disagree with the idea that the family would never act as though nothing was wrong, if he had murdered his girlfriend. I think that is exactly what someone might do. And it appears to be what they did do.

That's what Chris Watts did after murdering his family----went off to work and acts like nothing happened. And Leticia Stauch after murdering Gannon----she acted as though it was a normal day, pretending to wait for the boy to return from his friend's home.

As to point 3---I think those mistakes happened because he was frazzled, frantic, confused, upset and scared. Those are the kinds of things killers often do when in 'post killing ' phase.

As to point 4---the possible serial killer. That would make sense--if it weren't for those pesky pictures of the camper being parked right there, hundreds of feet away from her remains. What are the chances that a serial killer was attacking GP, while BL was sitting in their van nearby? Did he just get tired of awaiting her return from her day hike and so he drove back home and never reported her missing?

Point 5---I totally disagree. Almost every recent case I have followed has a POI named, instead of a 'suspect.' That is how it is done now for strategic reasons. It has nothing to do with lack of evidence, imo.

As for 6---:rolleyes:....it seems odd that one can totally ignore all of the circumstantial evidence pointing to BL as the prime suspect but then goes on a tangent pointing to a friend and weaving a fantastical tale, with zero supporting evidence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.