Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of the van....didn't LE state they found something but are not saying what? I can't remember where I read or heard that....PC maybe?
Does anyone recall?

eta:
After processing the van Tuesday, North Port Police Communications Manager Josh Taylor said there were “some materials” of possible interest, but no other details about the contents were released.
Gabby Petito's fiancé now a person of interest in missing woman's case
You can’t help but feel for these people. I’d lose my mind if I was in that position:

Petito's father, Joe Petito, appeared in a national interview Wednesday morning on Fox's “America's Newsroom” responding to the statement.

That wasn't a statement,” he said. “I'm sorry. That's not a statement.”

“Forget Brian, Brian's home safe,” Petito said. "His parents, yeah it's hard for them. Bulls---. You know what? My daughter is not here. Our daughter is not here. We don't even know what state she's in.”

I registered to make a few comments. This is moving SO fast, when I went to register, there were 6 pages. When I finished, there were 20, so my apologies if this has already been floated.

Regarding: BL’s trip back to FL to move items to-from a storage unit. I don’t buy it. I think he flew back because they were fighting/broke up. BUT - I think that possibly, he flew back to Utah because she begged him to come back so she didn’t have to make that drive back alone. This is plausible and I think his parents would fund it to be sure there was no liability on their part if something happened to her, driving alone. And I think his family ponied up her $$ for her hotel stay. Also, it will be revealing to know if it was booked as a round trip flight, or one way in each direction. Time will tell.

What did she tell her parents while alone in SLC for a week? Not much. I know from personal experience - I never told my parents much about my fights/breakups, because if I did, they held a grudge against my BF, and if things turned around, it was an impossible situation. She may not have even known he didn’t intend to return.

Someone mentioned that maybe she disappeared and his family summoned him home. Who would do that? If I were on vacation with my boyfriend and I left him alone briefly and he disappeared, driving back home would be my LAST resort. I would call the authorities. Even if they blew me off, at least there would be a record that i tried.
Obviously, this is all speculation. IMO

He drove the car back to the address that car is registered to! Right? He didn’t hide it!
His drivers license would have that same address !
It’s obvious to me she was not around to leave the van with her so he decided to drive it home!
Now did something happen to her because of him
Or something else?
We have to wait and see!
BUT
Per the LE report... GP was trying to get into the van as she did NOT want to be left alone. ( climbing through window, trying to get into drivers side door, etc)
She also stayed in the van that night and BL stayed somewhere else after the ruckus.

I, IMO, do not think GP would have let anyone take her van without her in it.
So for him to return home in HER van, without HER does not make sense to me.
But, I am not LE and I do not know what they know.
JMO

Ok - another thought. If he were able to fly back to FL to move her things, why drive the van back at all? Why not leave the van in Utah or wherever and just fly back to FL again? The driving back to FL is so bizarre to me. (Just my opinion and speculation)

That is a very excellent point. I keep telling myself he drove the van all the way back to Florida because whatever story Brian told his parents, it includes the van. Perhaps something along the lines of: "Keep the van, but I never want to see you again." I also keep asking myself: "Why did you (Brian) not reach out for help in Wyoming or wherever you parted ways?" I suspect his parents believe the story he told them when he got home because the alternative is their worst nightmare. I also have suspicions if he even contacted anyone on his way home or just randomly appeared in the front door on September 1st and told this wild, melodramatic tale. Just my take on it of course.

Last edited:
Thread is moving so quickly I’m an entire thread list behind. So I’m sure this was discussed and I greatly apologize for that. What of GB phone? Is it no longer “pinging” or “receiving” messages/calls? And if not has anyone determined the “official” date that it stopped? Also, has the phone type been determined? Simply wondering if it was an IPhone and if locate my phone was active, and accessible by her parents? I have it active on my husband and kids and vice versa, but if my daughter was going on an adventure like this, I’d have made certain it was active. Do we know who the “Christopher” was that called the police on their spat? Was wondering how exactly he came upon that, just passing through and saw it? Or was he hanging with them for a bit or? I appreciate anyone’s time in bringing me up to speed. Sad case for sure. I’ve not much Hope and hold my breath coming to see the thread each time that the title hasn’t been updated to her no longer being alive.

As far as I know, we’ve heard almost nothing about her phone, except that her mother doesn’t trust the texts sent from the 25th to the 30th to really be hers.

As far as I know, we don’t know anything about Christopher except his name.

All this MOO

I believe I read in one of the articles (but please correct me if I’m wrong) that the night of the scuffle, Gabby took the van and Brian stayed in a hotel (paid for by a DV program that works with local PD) so they were probably separated for at least one night.

ETA: I found the link. From The Daily Beast:
The officer was able to get Laundrie a hotel room for the night, and Gabby kept the van. They agreed not to contact one another until the next morning, which would allow them to “reset their mental states.”
Maybe he didn't like the hotel room and was still angry. MOO

Gabby Petito: A private investigator says the likelihood of finding someone alive after they've been missing for 2 weeks is 'minimal'

• A private investigator told Insider the chance of finding a missing person alive after 2 weeks in the wild is "minimal."
  • But PI John Van Steenkiste also said someone with strong survival skills could survive.
  • His comments come amid an ongoing search for Gabby Petito, a missing 22-year-old woman.
  • Guillermo Hechevarria, a criminal investigator with Investigation Services Unlimited in Florida, told Insider he believes Laundrie most likely left Petito alive somewhere in the Tetons.

I registered to make a few comments. This is moving SO fast, when I went to register, there were 6 pages. When I finished, there were 20, so my apologies if this has already been floated.

Regarding: BL’s trip back to FL to move items to-from a storage unit. I don’t buy it. I think he flew back because they were fighting/broke up. BUT - I think that possibly, he flew back to Utah because she begged him to come back so she didn’t have to make that drive back alone. This is plausible and I think his parents would fund it to be sure there was no liability on their part if something happened to her, driving alone. And I think his family ponied up her $$ for her hotel stay. Also, it will be revealing to know if it was booked as a round trip flight, or one way in each direction. Time will tell.

What did she tell her parents while alone in SLC for a week? Not much. I know from personal experience - I never told my parents much about my fights/breakups, because if I did, they held a grudge against my BF, and if things turned around, it was an impossible situation. She may not have even known he didn’t intend to return.

Someone mentioned that maybe she disappeared and his family summoned him home. Who would do that? If I were on vacation with my boyfriend and I left him alone briefly and he disappeared, driving back home would be my LAST resort. I would call the authorities. Even if they blew me off, at least there would be a record that i tried.
Obviously, this is all speculation. IMO
I think you nailed it. He flew home because the relationship was on the rocks, and his behavior post disappearance makes absolutely no sense.

Unraveling Gabby Petito mystery: Legal experts say looking into her mindset could lead to bringing Gabby home

TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – In a case of the magnitude of 22-year-old Gabby Petito involving multiple states, cities and locations, where do detectives begin?

Investigators describe this case as unraveling a mystery with many pieces to this puzzle.

It’s a case that began in New York state as Petito and her fiancé set out on a cross-country road trip with her fiancé Brian Laundrie.

However, police say Laundrie returned to North Port in her white Ford van and she is nowhere to be found.

Unraveling Gabby Petito mystery: Legal experts say looking into her mindset could lead to bringing Gabby home | WFLA

The way the cops wrote it up portrays her as irrational and more upset than the man in this situation

SBM
Well, she did climb through the car window, so irrational seems like a fair assessment. Certainly that wasn't the action of someone making sane and sober decisions. IMO

It's probably for any forensics which would be processed through their crime lab, people who specialize in evidence and preserving potential evidence. They need to determine if a crime took place or if there are clues to Gabby's location. They will probably also look at the gps and anything at all, air filter, cabin filter, tire dirt, etc to try and see where the vehicle has been or if there's any evidence whatsoever.
I wonder if there was any bleach or chlorine smell in the van like recently cleaned. I hope they used a cadaver dog to go inside. I bet there was blood evidence unless BL cleaned it real good. I have a feeling they had other physical fights in that van and that August 12 wasn’t the first time.

If LE found anything it would not be released to the public while it’s an active investigation

There is so much activity happening with this case across multiple jurisdictions. Still, the reality is unless those agencies find concrete proof a crime happened or find Gabby or BL decides to talk, I fear there is only so much time and energy, and money they will put into this.

After the second statement released today from BL's lawyer stating again that he isn't going to talk; I don't think he will volunteer any information. That leaves finding Gabby or some sort of evidence. Unless they can get information from the van or potential phone records and pings or another source, I wonder how long they will keep searching at this high energized level they are currently.

They have many little pieces, and I am sure they know more behind the scenes than we do, but something bigger has to break very soon.

I don't know. New York seems pretty damn mad. The next few days could be very interesting.

I like that officer.

I wonder if there was any bleach or chlorine smell in the van like recently cleaned. I hope they used a cadaver dog to go inside. I bet there was blood evidence unless BL cleaned it real good. I have a feeling they had other physical fights in that van and that August 12 wasn’t the first time.

That bleach smell and over cleaning helped convict Melanie McGuire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member