Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #3

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by PommyMommy, Sep 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MysteryMama

MysteryMama Well-Known Member

"The final contact came on August 30 - it was just a text message from Gabby's phone.

Now, a spokesperson for the family says text messages have stopped going through to her phone."

Urgent search continues for 22-year-old Florida woman missing after cross-country trip

2. MassGuy

MassGuy The Monsters Aren’t The Ones Beneath The Bed

You can’t help but feel for these people. I’d lose my mind if I was in that position:

Petito's father, Joe Petito, appeared in a national interview Wednesday morning on Fox's “America's Newsroom” responding to the statement.

That wasn't a statement,” he said. “I'm sorry. That's not a statement.”

“Forget Brian, Brian's home safe,” Petito said. "His parents, yeah it's hard for them. Bulls---. You know what? My daughter is not here. Our daughter is not here. We don't even know what state she's in.”

3. sunrider

sunrider Well-Known Member

I registered to make a few comments. This is moving SO fast, when I went to register, there were 6 pages. When I finished, there were 20, so my apologies if this has already been floated.

Regarding: BL’s trip back to FL to move items to-from a storage unit. I don’t buy it. I think he flew back because they were fighting/broke up. BUT - I think that possibly, he flew back to Utah because she begged him to come back so she didn’t have to make that drive back alone. This is plausible and I think his parents would fund it to be sure there was no liability on their part if something happened to her, driving alone. And I think his family ponied up her $$ for her hotel stay. Also, it will be revealing to know if it was booked as a round trip flight, or one way in each direction. Time will tell.

What did she tell her parents while alone in SLC for a week? Not much. I know from personal experience - I never told my parents much about my fights/breakups, because if I did, they held a grudge against my BF, and if things turned around, it was an impossible situation. She may not have even known he didn’t intend to return.

Someone mentioned that maybe she disappeared and his family summoned him home. Who would do that? If I were on vacation with my boyfriend and I left him alone briefly and he disappeared, driving back home would be my LAST resort. I would call the authorities. Even if they blew me off, at least there would be a record that i tried.
    Obviously, this is all speculation. IMO

Diddian, CarmelEyesD, RIPRM and 33 others like this.
  4. Spartygirl

Spartygirl Verified Insider - Michael Vanzandt case

BUT
    Per the LE report... GP was trying to get into the van as she did NOT want to be left alone. ( climbing through window, trying to get into drivers side door, etc)
    She also stayed in the van that night and BL stayed somewhere else after the ruckus.

I, IMO, do not think GP would have let anyone take her van without her in it.
    So for him to return home in HER van, without HER does not make sense to me.
    But, I am not LE and I do not know what they know.
    JMO

5. SovereignSnake

SovereignSnake Well-Known Member

That is a very excellent point. I keep telling myself he drove the van all the way back to Florida because whatever story Brian told his parents, it includes the van. Perhaps something along the lines of: "Keep the van, but I never want to see you again." I also keep asking myself: "Why did you (Brian) not reach out for help in Wyoming or wherever you parted ways?" I suspect his parents believe the story he told them when he got home because the alternative is their worst nightmare. I also have suspicions if he even contacted anyone on his way home or just randomly appeared in the front door on September 1st and told this wild, melodramatic tale. Just my take on it of course.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    RIPRM, SugarQueen, ar3593 and 5 others like this.
  6. wary

wary Well-Known Member

As far as I know, we’ve heard almost nothing about her phone, except that her mother doesn’t trust the texts sent from the 25th to the 30th to really be hers.

As far as I know, we don’t know anything about Christopher except his name.

All this MOO

Marg from Oz and HolographicOne like this.
  7. Gobstopper

Gobstopper Well-Known Member

Maybe he didn't like the hotel room and was still angry. MOO

Marg from Oz likes this.
  8. mlhenn

mlhenn Well-Known Member

Gabby Petito: A private investigator says the likelihood of finding someone alive after they've been missing for 2 weeks is 'minimal'

• A private investigator told Insider the chance of finding a missing person alive after 2 weeks in the wild is "minimal."
    • But PI John Van Steenkiste also said someone with strong survival skills could survive.
    • His comments come amid an ongoing search for Gabby Petito, a missing 22-year-old woman.
    • Guillermo Hechevarria, a criminal investigator with Investigation Services Unlimited in Florida, told Insider he believes Laundrie most likely left Petito alive somewhere in the Tetons.

jash, Midori_Azul, AnnaGrace and 9 others like this.
  9. cbeagle

cbeagle Active Member

Be wary of relying on Daily Mail maps of locations in the US, they are not always the most accurate, they especially seem to have issues with locations in California.

marypretzels, Quiche, carbuff and 3 others like this.
  10. MassGuy

MassGuy The Monsters Aren’t The Ones Beneath The Bed

I think you nailed it. He flew home because the relationship was on the rocks, and his behavior post disappearance makes absolutely no sense.

11. cass523

cass523 Well-Known Member

Unraveling Gabby Petito mystery: Legal experts say looking into her mindset could lead to bringing Gabby home

TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – In a case of the magnitude of 22-year-old Gabby Petito involving multiple states, cities and locations, where do detectives begin?

Investigators describe this case as unraveling a mystery with many pieces to this puzzle.

It’s a case that began in New York state as Petito and her fiancé set out on a cross-country road trip with her fiancé Brian Laundrie.

However, police say Laundrie returned to North Port in her white Ford van and she is nowhere to be found.

Unraveling Gabby Petito mystery: Legal experts say looking into her mindset could lead to bringing Gabby home | WFLA

12. RIPRM

RIPRM Well-Known Member

SBM
    Well, she did climb through the car window, so irrational seems like a fair assessment. Certainly that wasn't the action of someone making sane and sober decisions. IMO

Marg from Oz likes this.
  13. Whiteorchids

Whiteorchids Well-Known Member

I wonder if there was any bleach or chlorine smell in the van like recently cleaned. I hope they used a cadaver dog to go inside. I bet there was blood evidence unless BL cleaned it real good. I have a feeling they had other physical fights in that van and that August 12 wasn’t the first time.

If LE found anything it would not be released to the public while it’s an active investigation

14. I don't know. New York seems pretty damn mad. The next few days could be very interesting.

15. Elhe

Elhe Well-Known Member

I believe Christopher witnessed them at some sort of store or market, maybe a restaurant called Moonflower? They were in a public area.

16. Skigirl

Skigirl Verified expert in neuroscience

I have to wonder if the trip back home occurred because they were breaking up and he wanted her moved out. I hope her things are found.

RIPRM, carbuff, Marg from Oz and 6 others like this.
  17. Artis

Artis Well-Known Member

Thanks. Until right now, I've even thought about the issue of court order vs a warrant. How can this be? How is it not a violation of the 4th to allow a court order to suffice instead of a warrant?

Marg from Oz likes this.
  18. That bleach smell and over cleaning helped convict Melanie McGuire.

Marg from Oz and squareandrabbet like this.
  19. Elhe

Elhe Well-Known Member

I believe the report confirmed she was able to open the driver door and climbed over him, not through the window.

20. Skigirl

Skigirl Verified expert in neuroscience

Moonflower is a food co-op (incidentally, also the place of employment of one of the two women who were murdered that week).

Marg from Oz, SuziQ, SUNchips and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.