Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #31

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is where I am at with him. Why did he return home? I suppose it's possible he made some crazy story to his parents about how it was an accident that caused her death but no one would believe him so he panicked, drove home, told parents and they decided to help him find a place to hide? I mean they had to know he can't stay on the run and that their silence would just make it look worse.
Ask for more money? Steal their money? They know who they raised. Can't wait until he's in prison clowning with his criss cross apple sauce nonsense. Maybe he can complain some more about plastic and see how that goes.

I think that’s possible but only up until they receive the texts, phone calls from Gabby’s parents trying to find her.

I've said this previously but I feel there is a real possibility that BL blocked Gabby's parents numbers.
The texts and calls wouldn't have come through to the Laundries.
BL could have potentially continued with his fairy tale to his parents, maybe they broke up and she continued on with a friend.
They'd have had no clue until LE came calling once GP was reported missing.

MOO

Ok, someone way back brought up a theory about BLs parents dropping him at a residential psych facility. I'm actually coming around to that being a plausible scenario because HIPPA and confidentiality, mentions of his "episodes," and the defense aspect. (NOT saying this is my working theory, but I now see it as a plausible scenario, depending on the answer to this question).
Can anyone actually confirm what responsibility a residential treatment centre would have in this situation? I know the basics of psych ethics and confidentiality as well as HIPPA, but at what point would they need to report his presence in care, if at all? I need to go do my psych homework instead of googling this forever. TIA!
I think this would be pretty hard to get away with, even if HIPPA prohibited disclosure. For one, there would be insurance claims, and there are lots of people who work at insurance companies and I would imagine that there would be an anonymous tip-off even if it weren't allowed.

I think he told them some fantasy like this: she left him after a breakup argument about some guy she was interested in who followed them and was hanging around. So she ran off with this guy after their fight, and BL knew it was over, and he waited around a couple of days (27th-29th) and then took the van for safekeeping when she didn't return for it. He didn't want it just sitting out in a park abandoned. Makes perfect sense, but only if you want to believe your son. It doesn't really go with his hiking story though.
It's entirely possible he weaved a plausible story for them to believe.

Ok, someone way back brought up a theory about BLs parents dropping him at a residential psych facility. I'm actually coming around to that being a plausible scenario because HIPPA and confidentiality, mentions of his "episodes," and the defense aspect. (NOT saying this is my working theory, but I now see it as a plausible scenario, depending on the answer to this question).
Can anyone actually confirm what responsibility a residential treatment centre would have in this situation? I know the basics of psych ethics and confidentiality as well as HIPPA, but at what point would they need to report his presence in care, if at all? I need to go do my psych homework instead of googling this forever. TIA!
I am not sure HIPAA protects a murderer. He can be in a psych facility and we arre not privvy to that but I am guessing a legal warrant of some sort by the FBI would waive that. I think if you are indicted on a felony but the US gov't, your privilege of privacy from the police goes away. If i worked there i'd be planning my trip with my reward and drop a dime. I don't think HIPAA outweighs public safety. But i'm guessing someone on this thread knows the real answer to this...it's a good question.

350+ for
gas? food?
/ JMO
So getting gas in Benton IL on Aug 31…

thats 1400 miles from Jackson Hole

with 1000 miles still to go to North Port

Impressive that he pulled up to his house the next morning

Good point. I wonder if the credit card was delayed. Might have been near midnight to 6AM on the 31st. Allowing for 18 hours for 1000 Miles.

I think Brian had SO much time to get a head start, he really could be anywhere. The long Labor Day weekend, he could have hitchhiked all the way out of Florida to New Orleans or Houston.

I'm still looking at wigs he could wear---
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CY6CJQB/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1QFGRPMH9K0V8&psc=1

or
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B097RML22K/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A2YKQFIAFZFW3H&psc=1

These might be less flashy than the BLONDE ones I was thinking of before.

Maybe even some glasses, no beard. A very different look.

He could be in El Paso or New Mexico before Gabby's mom even said she was missing.

I think people put to much stock in the invulnerability of HIPPA. I was sent a complete copy of some other persons file once. I have heard nurses in a coffee shop discussing patients. And a law is a thin wall between someone who knows where an alleged murder suspect is and their own personal ethics. A simple anonymous call to an LE would solve that problem

I haven’t read through every post but I’m wondering if it was ever discussed why he even needed to hitchhike on the 29th?

Maybe to have an "alibi". I'm unsure but I think he was trying to be seen out of the campsite area to say, "I wasn't even there! I was hitchhiking with these people!" The SODDI defense.

The police have some kind of information that Brian could be in that preserve/woods. LE doesn’t have to tell the public anything but they do have to explain this huge $$$ to the county commissioners. Everybody has to pay some piper!

Interesting info from a former coworker of Brian:

In conversation about hiking … Brian talked about the longest time that he spent in the woods was 6 weeks and bragged about only having a large pack of either cheese or peanut butter crackers to sustain him for that time,” the source told The Post in a text.

He is well versed in spending a long time in the woods and living off nearly nothing,” they said.

A friend of Ms Petito’s also warned that Mr Laundrie had well-honed solo survival skills, in a separate Daily Mail report:

“I know he lived in the Appalachians for what I believe was three months, and he did it by himself, so I know he’s skilled at it,” she said. “He and Gabby both told me stories about it,” Ms Davis added. “And you could see the enthusiasm in his voice when he would talk about his adventures by himself like that trip into the Appalachians.”

Brian Laundrie ‘skilled’ in wilderness survival, say sources

This is from what BL TOLD Gabby's friend. And if he said the "Appalachians" it was assuredly a lie. No one calls hiking the AT "in the Appalachians". It's not a mountain range, it's a trail. I really doubt BL has anywhere near the skills required to survive a winter on the AT, especially is he is moving north east which he most likely would be if he went there from FL.

And the weather will be getting colder, the leaves will soon be off the trees and freezing rain & snow will fall. I've lived along the AT all my life. There will soon be much fewer people but info on him has been well circulated through the outdoor community. There will also soon be lots of hunters out in the woods the next few months as the various seasonal hunts begin & end.

Example of AT NY area deer hunting seasons: Deer and Bear Hunting Seasons - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

View attachment 314345

There will always be people in the woods!

I also seriously question how much actual experience BL has in cold weather camping or, honestly, camping at all without a vehicle.

He's from Long Island! There are no mountains there. All the "camping" I've seen him do is his car camping in major tourist areas. I've never even seen them do a difficult or unpopular trail or even hikes in bad weather conditions.

IMO, BT is more of a "poser" and the principled ideals he mouths are purely aspirational. Now he may see himself that way. But that won't help him on Mt Washington in the winter. I don't think he has nearly the skills to survive on his own and certainly not without purchasing or being supplied with food, socks, warm clothes etc.

I really thought the parents would have been polygraphed by now.
This kid is very impulsive. Doesn't seem to have impulse control or any coping mechanisms when he gets frustrated.
Has he ever faced repercussions/consequences for outbursts? And where did he learn that it is acceptable to hit/slap your partner?
Probably at home.
This seems to be his first serious relationship? I was surprised to hear he had already proposed to Gabby while not having a job/career/education plan of his own. And his mother was reportedly overjoyed when she heard about the proposal. I bet she felt relief knowing that her troubled son finally found someone special who could tolerate him. Her son getting married young, not pursuing education, living in her home is the best outcome she had ever hoped for.
Feelin' a little salty today...
I was wondering about the proposal too. . maybe she had enough and was going to leave or something and it was just a bread crumb he was throwing her.

Maybe for an alibi?????

IMO Panic. He left, may have wondered around thinking of where to go, and then decided to retrieve the Van and head to Florida.

IMO if he was planning an alibi, he would have hitched back, claimed he left her working on her social media, and she was murdered. Unless the evidence pointed to him, I think LE would still be looking for an unnamed suspect.

From this link: https://community.corporatecomplian...tFileKey=129e6da4-7a3d-4a20-a4d9-356a729356cd

"Answer: Yes. HIPAA allows a hospital on its own initiative to disclose protected health information to law enforcement as necessary for law enforcement to identify or apprehend an individual who has escaped from a correctional institution or from lawful custody."

Well he didn't escape from an institution and he wasn't in lawful custody so I'm guessing this wouldn't apply unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedWriter