Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #34

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by PommyMommy, Sep 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roselle65

Roselle65 Well-Known Member

I'm not critcizing Gabby's parents, but was wondering what caused them to feel they didn't feel the need to file a missing person's report for such a long time? Was it common for these kids to not communicate for such a long time? I know they are loving parents, but just wondered what held them back. I would have been hysterical by the time the "Stan" text came.

2. SuperTmo

SuperTmo Well-Known Member

If I ever slept in a car overnight it was when someone was driving straight through on a road trip. This whole van life nomad type experience isn’t for me at all. My anxiety is way too high for that! It’s essentially homelessness and I’ve been homeless.

3. PermanentMood

PermanentMood Active Member

Edit: I miss read so this is just a repeat of what you just said

The FBI has been assisting this case from the beginning. They began leading the investigation after her body was discovered.

https://twitter.com/fbidenver/status/1438614950382026755?s=21

B4igo2it, angelainwi, ctmom and 5 others like this.
  4. imstilla.grandma

imstilla.grandma Believer of Miracles

5. PommyMommy

PommyMommy #ShinelikeShanann

It seems so. I alerted on your post so a mod can answer. MOO

Marg from Oz, Cecelia and mommadukes like this.
  6. JudgeJudi

JudgeJudi Well-Known Member

TikTok #gabbypetito now has 1B views

As TikTok is predominantly a platform for young people, it's incredible to see how many are following this case, and I hope learning about abusive relationships.

7. jjonez

jjonez Well-Known Member

Can you look at other people’s info too? Or just your own?

Marg from Oz and mommadukes like this.
  8. PommyMommy

PommyMommy #ShinelikeShanann

It is the date she was pronounced deceased.

9. NCWatcher

NCWatcher Well-Known Member

Yes. If he left the country using ID issued in his name, the FBI would know and wouldn't be spending massive amounts of money destroying the nature reserve.

I also don't think there are different rules for getting a US passport depending on the state. Passports are federally issued after all. So NY and FL don't have different rules from NC. From Passport Services | Office of Global Engagement | NC State University

"The entire country is experiencing a massive surge in urgent passport demand.

No need to keep calling local offices – all local passport offices across the country, including every single office in North Carolina, offer the EXACT SAME processing times, including for Expedited processing.

Right now the fastest you could receive your passport through any local passport office is up to 6 weeks PLUS 4 business days. (That’s paying extra for Expedited processing plus Express Mail both ways.)

If 6 weeks plus 4 business days is not fast enough for your travel plans, the only faster option is to get an appointment to go in person to a regional Passport Agency. (The closest agencies to us are in Washington, DC or Atlanta.) To pursue that option, including for life or death emergencies, please see the Department of State’s official webpage: travel.state.gov"

10. x_files

x_files Well-Known Member

Great question and I would assume Federal Laws would override local Florida State laws. We need an attorney to weigh in here.

notmissing, ctmom, grammieto5 and 6 others like this.
  11. whirrledpeas

whirrledpeas Well-Known Member

Date of death is generally listed as date body was found to be deceased.

12. Jennihenny

Jennihenny Active Member

Most of the libraries I’ve been to you can easily access the computers by just asking for a code at the front desk. To rent books, movies, games, etc you will need a library card which of course to get one you need proof of address and ID.

13. CanadianWells

CanadianWells Well-Known Member

Thanks for this info! I have traveled and used library internet a ton, so my assumptions were based on this. I've always had to provide ID, but I've never tried to say I can't. I'm glad to learn something new every day :) Especially when it might come in handy on cases like this.

14. x_files

Yes, I agree with you.
    I assume the FBI should know this info. But sometimes things aren't as logical as they should be.
    The search in the Preserve may be for evidence NOT BL. But otherwise, I agree with you. The FBI should have access to that info.
    I don't believe this is what he did he either already had one or crossed the border illegally.

Marg from Oz and Jennihenny like this.
  15. GRT

GRT Well-Known Member

Mine has those public stations, too. No requirements at all.

To sign in with my laptop, though, I need to use my number

SuperTmo likes this.
  16. ThoughtFox

ThoughtFox Expecting the Unexpected

Probably because the last time Gabby contacted her parents she was out west in the National Park system, camping on federal land. And BL drove her van all the way back to Florida crossing All those state lines. When you cross state lines, the FBI gets involved. That is why they get involved in kidnappings.

Also another point - last night before the thread closed someone was questioning whether Gabby and BL were camping in Teton National Park or just outside it, saying maybe she didn"t die on federal land after all. But my daughter thinks the place where they camped was BLM land - Bureau of Land Management. Still Federally-owned land, only less restricted than a National Park. Cattle can graze there, for instance.

Anyway, I think it's obvious the FBI believes she was killed on Federal Land, so there will be more Federal Charges, and not just from the states of Wyoming or Florida.

dgreen66, wary, ctmom and 7 others like this.
  17. SuperTmo

SuperTmo Well-Known Member

Agreed on both feelings on the issue. I suspect they do have IT monitoring usage during open hours, and lots of stuff is blocked. Like no social media access is one part. But I think it’s been really helpful to remove barriers to access for our unhoused residents and also for immigrants just trying to land on their feet.

Marg from Oz and CanadianWells like this.
  18. x_files

I assume the FBI already checked this. That should have been one of the first things they looked at.
    The reason I say should and assume, following other cases sometimes logical steps aren't taken in a timely fashion.

B4igo2it and Marg from Oz like this.
  19. mommadukes

mommadukes Well-Known Member

Amen! I hope that Gabby’s death is not in vain and that this horrific event can champion the message that “love should never hurt,” for a whole new generation of people. MOO.

B4igo2it, Trooper, Corina and 4 others like this.
  20. Keyedin

Keyedin Verified Paralegal

Federal case = federal laws.

The only time Florida law would come into play would be if Florida filed is own charges. As of right now, the only law applicable to BL is federal law.

Captain_Curious, wary, ctmom and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.