Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #38

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by PommyMommy, Sep 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrsCalygirl

MrsCalygirl Active Member

Been in this thread every now and then. Still trying to figure out why he wanted to get to Jackson Wyoming so badly. One other note to add , so they were having lunch together mere hours before the Youtubers spotted his van in the campground….super eerie if they had stopped to say hi or something like they had wanted….!

2. Chris Columbo

Chris Columbo Former Member

Appalachian Trail hikers typically pack about a week's worth of food with them initially, and then typically resupply along different parts of the trail at pre-planned points by going into nearby towns along the trail and purchasing more food or simply mailing non-perishable food supplies to different post offices along the way before setting out at the beginning. There are really no particular survival skills needed for trail hiking of this nature other than a rudimentary knowledge of finding shelter at night (usually the small tent you packed with you). The trail is clearly marked in most places and although the hike is rigorous in places, it doesn't require superhuman physical ability by any means.

3. Estelle

Estelle Well-Known Member

Yes I have wondered that too. However, I think there were control issues as well. I have also been curious as to whether Gabby was paying for expenses more than he was in return for him driving her, taking photos for her and being a companion, etc.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  4. Cool Cats

Cool Cats Well-Known Member

5. UrsulaWrenn

UrsulaWrenn Well-Known Member

The van life has always been a thing...it just hasn't always been called that. It has always appealed to those who want to simultaneously rule their own lives/ worlds and be somewhat freed of traditional responsibilities.

6. jjonez

jjonez Well-Known Member

Try searching delmar and balboa then following it back. There was a lot of discussion about that location right after the att. Was posted

Edited for misspelling of delmar. Sorry

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    Marg from Oz, wasnt_me and LAhiker like this.
  7. jjonez

jjonez Well-Known Member

And if you find it, would you bring to this thread? I wouldn’t mind a second look

Marg from Oz, ctmom and wasnt_me like this.
  8. ThoughtFox

ThoughtFox Expecting the Unexpected

It's not that unusual for young adults to live at home. I lived at home until I was 24 and got married. One of my brothers lived at home until he was 29 and finished his Masters Degree. My two sons work constantly and one also goes to college. One is 25 and one is 30. Rent is expensive and it's hard to live alone and still save money. We all get along and have room, so why not?

I think that may be the least weird thing about BL, in my opinion. If he and Gabby had lived alone in an apartment, how would they have saved money for the Van Life? If they were going to get an apartment, they could have stayed in New York close to her family, but it would have been expensive. In Florida with the Laundries there was space and no rent.

9. Duchess78

Duchess78 Member

Or someone he had requested to follow only recently accepted so his number went up.

10. Mandala

Mandala Active Member

S
    I’m thinking strangulation or a head injury

11. customCF

customCF Well-Known Member

I think you'll be wrong. BL seems more likely to do more violent things IMO

Marg from Oz, ctmom and Trooper like this.
  12. Cool Cats

Cool Cats Well-Known Member

13. lo so

lo so Active Member

Not sure if it was discussed before but one of the things that annoyed me from the first time I saw the LE bodycam footage was how quick BL was to say they had no money for GP to stay in a hotel for the night and they didn't seem to ask her about it. He was quick to say he'd go to jail for the night but obviously that would never be allowed.

Marg from Oz, SandSage, ctmom and 5 others like this.
  14. Estelle

Estelle Well-Known Member

They seem to be the most likely CODs that most people think. I thought of suffocation but I think it could have been more violent than that. I cannot see him using a gun or knife, but who knows?

Skigirl, GRT, Marg from Oz and 4 others like this.
  15. ThoughtFox

ThoughtFox Expecting the Unexpected

That is a very good question about why BL wanted to get to Jackson. Just my opinion only, but I think he didn't want to take the van at first. I think his original plan was to leave the van where it was but hitch a ride to Jackson and find another way home - bus or plane. He asked two different drivers he rode with about going to Jackson, but ended up going back to the van and the murder scene. Maybe he was just trying to establish an alibi, thinking that he could tell police she was killed while he was searching for a ride to Jackson. But no one found her body while he was hiking and hitching, so his plan B was just to drive the van home and figure out something with his parents, which I believe is what he did.

16. LRinCA

LRinCA Well-Known Member

Re: the type of injury - for some reason, I think she was pushed from behind into water (nearby stream?) and perhaps held under water; however, not sure that would look like homicide and not sure why this image has popped in my "my opinion only" head.

17. LRinCA

LRinCA Well-Known Member

Re: wanting to get to Jackson - perhaps he wanted to return there and create a storyline that they argued at the restaurant and she took off in the van, leaving him behind in Jackson. Only problem is, the hitchhiking made it obvious he wasn't in Jackson.

18. kittythehare

kittythehare Well-Known Member

It's a pretty weird way to try to avoid the FBI though, is it not?
    Trail walking?
    To where?
    I reckon he's sitting comfortably in a nice warm indoor space, playing video games and writing his drop-dead-boring manifesto in the format of someone else's creativity and it will be filled with plagiarism.
    I'm cynical and annoyed at him now, whoever he is or whatever he is...

Thanks for your most informative post. As a couch potato I find these things difficult to navigate mentally.

JayWill, notmissing, samsmom and 20 others like this.
  19. Quim The Extraordinaire

Quim The Extraordinaire Helpless Romantic

You can make money in lots of ways if you get a lot of social media followers. That’s what Gabby was trying to do and it’s called being an influencer because your posts can affect followers, usually to buy things.

“Van life” is today’s version of RV life downsized because of the economy. Some people I’ve known who did “van life” didn’t have much of a choice and made the best of it until they could get back into a better situation. There are many FB groups on this that range from people looking to visit national parks over the summer to people who invest in a van to live in FT because they can’t afford any housing.

RV life tho used to be for retirees and Van Life now skews younger and with social media can be income so it gets glamorized as a lifestyle when for most people the reality is Van Life is a step away from being homeless (but better because you can be mobile).

It sounds like Gabby and BL weren’t going to be on the road forever, I thought they were going to visit a relative in the northwest and then go back to Florida? For Gabby it was probably much more free feeling to have a Van Life than living with her boyfriend’s parents and if she could make it work financially it would give her a lot more independence.

Too bad she had such a dud as a partner.

JayWill, teedie2, samsmom and 24 others like this.
  20. Phoenixthecat

Phoenixthecat Member

There would have been lots of his DNA in the van. Very odd.

samsmom, SuziQ, TigerLou and 8 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.