Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #4

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by PommyMommy, Sep 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellyup

bellyup Well-Known Member

Unless you are familiar with behavioral patterns as they relate to emotional and mental abuse they can be hard to spot.

I didn't start with the presupposition that BL was an abuser. In fact, I went back and forth through out the video and listened carefully watching for patterns of behavior. One pattern that stood out to me was GP's repeated insistence that she was the problem. A classic victim response called "fawning". Take all the accountability. You're unstable. You're the problem. It's the human equivalent of rolling over and playing dead hoping you won't be harmed further.

Couple that with Brian's pattern of denying, accusing and reversing victim and offender (called DARVO) it's a classic mental/emotional abuse cycle. There's other things that show the cycle as well (including Gabby's high emotional state and near hysterics being fight or flight). For what it's worth I also tried to see patterns in reverse and they just weren't there. Someone posted the abuse wheel, might be worth taking a look at.

2. MsBetsy

MsBetsy Well-Known Member

I think he thought the whole thing was an inconvenience.

I haven't seen any indication that he had a history of being violent towards her, but Gabby mentioned that "he thought she couldn't do it," when talking about her YouTube channel. It's possible he may have put her down or criticized her instead of being supportive, which would have added to her anxiety.

I think he was more interested in hiking and exploring rather than documenting their trip. That may be what triggered the arguing in the previous days. IMO

3. citizen_sleuth

citizen_sleuth Well-Known Member

She did ask the officer in the footage where he was being taken and the officer explained he couldn’t divulge that information.

ChiCubs2016, MsBetsy and bellyup like this.
  4. wnk

wnk Well-Known Member

We do not know that she actually had any diagnosed mental health issues.

For all we know, she could have simply had very reasonable safety concerns that she was told over and over were "just her anxiety talking" or reasonable requests to clean up that she was told over and over were her being "OCD" and she internalized those statements by someone she trusted as being fact.

5. Birmingplumb

Birmingplumb Well-Known Member

I get that .....but why? why did the founders grant someone who has committed a crime a right not to speak ?? What past event caused this? maybe in England? that makes this a bad thing? ( making someone speak) there has to be data backing this up .... I don't still understand why besides providing a living for lawers

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
  6. Breezie

Breezie Well-Known Member

Moonflower Co-op worker speaks of eerie link between Gabby Petito and double murder

Ms Keating said it was “strange” that nobody who was working that day had noticed the police officers attending the fight.

“I don’t know how we wouldn’t have known if the cops weren’t called outside our store. I’m guessing somebody was sitting outside of our store and I’m guessing that’s the person who saw them and called the police.”

The theory that BL was upset that Kylen might have made the call is unlikely even if she was working that day. It is just a strange coincidence that Kylen and her spouse were last seen leaving a bar, the day after, August 13.

7. LietKynes

LietKynes Well-Known Member

Ummm... Maybe Gabby wasn't the one with ocd ?
    No one is perfect.
    Not Gabby.
    Not Brian.
    But a trip like this can sour quickly and I think things went downhill in a horrible manner. :(
    And, Brian's not the one who is missing.
    Just saying.
    MOO.

8. Jurisprudence

Jurisprudence Well-Known Member

I think he tossed the phone after the texts. Taking it would provide evidence by cellphone data. I'm guessing he knew this since it's basically common knowledge.

9. brookesmith

brookesmith Well-Known Member

Exactly. It's demeaning and I feel like she is conditioned to blame everything on her supposed 'anxiety'

10. SuziQ

SuziQ Well-Known Member

Legally none of that matters. His name was not on the title.

11. oviedo

oviedo Well-Known Member

I wish I knew more about diagnosed OCD - but staying in the confines of that van would give me pause. Even with the tent - that life is not cut out for me for sure.
    JMO

12. citizen_sleuth

citizen_sleuth Well-Known Member

Yes the officer does say that. When he first approaches the car, the female officer says that she’s on the phone with her parents to try and calm down.

13. Kitagrl

Kitagrl Well-Known Member

THIS absolutely. I noticed this even in just the couple of clips they showed in a news segment. She’s putting the blame on herself. Crying, speaking apologetically. Boyfriend seems confident and unruffled rather than concerned for his girlfriend. Even just a few seconds of video plus reading partial transcripts screams narcissistic boyfriend to me, but that’s JMHO, MOO.

14. Heaven Leigh

Heaven Leigh Well-Known Member

I would think a Lawyer would advise his client to cooperate if they are innocent and a person is missing.
    Not cooperating when you have a Lawyer seems shady. Rights or not.

15. shotgun09

shotgun09 'Certified' Boomer

IMO, their dispute may have started because of sand in the tent. He discussed his sand-filled shoes/sandals to the LE. I recall seeing a picture of their tent posted somewhere...It was a delightfully clean and bright picture of a tent. Perfectly made bed, things placed in the corners with precision. GP's admitted OCD was probably an issue when it came to things being clean and in their spot.
    Could be what started it? My guess

16. HolographicOne

HolographicOne Well-Known Member

They must have evidence a crime was committed.

sapphire blue, Hoss569, Seni and 2 others like this.
  17. MassGuy

MassGuy The Monsters Aren’t The Ones Beneath The Bed

That’s why I said “provided they have enough probable cause.”

18. gliving

gliving Woof

I know it's easy to say could've would've should've. Gabby's on the phone with her mother while she's in the back of the patrol car. I wonder what was said during that convo. If it was my daughter, I'd be saying this trip isn't working out. It's okay when plans fail. Time to come home.

49:49 mark

19. bellyup

bellyup Well-Known Member

To be clear, I was responding to someone flat out saying we "know" BL didn't hit her.

There's really no evidence he did (aside him saying he pushed her) and there's no evidence he did not. No definitive statement can really be made either way IMO.

20. Skigirl

Skigirl Verified expert in neuroscience

Totally! My husband and I had an argument at night in Venice once and I remember how terrified I was when he stomped off because I didn't speak Italian and Venice is insanely confusing and I wasn't sure I would ever find our hotel again. I felt unsafe and vulnerable and I was so freaked out that I was practically screaming at him. I refused to stop following him. It wasn't because I was abusive, it was because I was scared for my life. Fortunately, he realized how dangerous it would be too, before I had to do whatever the equivalent of crawling in the driver side window would have been.

Given how hot it was, how broke they seem to have been, and the fact that neither of them knew anyone, the idea of being abandoned would have been absolutely terrifying. Very close to "emotional abuse" in my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.