Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #43

Status
Not open for further replies.
While we wait for news from "Dog" (per @Fireflye) or the active search going on today.... Thought I'd share a couple scenarios as to how ED died 8/27 that I don’t think have been offered before. If I am wrong, I apologize in advance for posting a duplicate theory… So the following is just IMO!

1. Escape from the Van after Restaurant:
On the return from Merry Piglet restaurant to the campground, GP tells BL they are done, she wants to end their relationship and go home. BL’s rage escalates to even greater heights. GP can't take BL's yelling and rage anymore. She opens the passenger door and thinking it’s her only escape hatch (maybe he is threatening to kill her now that she has "broken up"), she jumps out of the moving van to escape. This presumes there is no one else on the road to witness her fall and violent tumble, so the odds of this are very, very slim if not impossible. But carrying on... BL quickly stops the van, backs up, finds GP on the side of road. She is dead from a fatal head injury. He quickly analyzes the situation and grabs their tent (or tarp from the top of the van), wraps her up, puts her in the van.

2. Uncontrolled Rage after Restaurant:
The raging that started while they were at the Merry Piglet, continues in the van. Perhaps, as in scenario #1, GP tells BL she is leaving him and this whole thing is over. Shortly after leaving the restaurant (e.g. 1-5 miles) BL can’t take it anymore and has lost control of himself and his rage. He pulls off on a dirt road, parks behind a rock formation, gets GP out of the van, and kills her. Like with scenario #1, BL comes to his senses, analyzes the situation and wraps her in a tarp and puts her into the van.

In both these scenarios, GP ends up wrapped in a tarp or tent in the back of the van. BL decides to dump her body where it was found (not sure if there is access to that location other than by foot). Perhaps he did this under the cover of darkness that night (the night of 8/27). And certainly, it would have been BL in the van closing the back door at 6/6:30 per the video we’ve seen… his sandals outside. BL then heads off for a hike early on 8/28 to clear his head or get far away from the situation as he can. Perhaps he plans on not returning to the van, but over the course of 8/28-29, decides to drive it home starting 8/30.

On the way home, BL disposes of the tent / tarp along with other incriminating evidence.

The key reason I don’t see these scenarios working that well though is cadaver dogs. Can we presume LE used cadaver dogs to sniff the van when they had custody of it? And if GP’s body had been in the van, even for a short drive, you’d think the dogs would have sniffed that out. Unless being wrapped tightly in a tarp or tent would preclude a cadaver dog from finding evidence in the van? Does anyone know the answer to these questions that could derail these scenarios?

Last edited:
It would be interesting to find out when the Laundrie's made that first camping reservation. BL arrived back in Tampa on the 1st but perhaps he thought he'd be back earlier because he actually left the campsite earlier, especially if he drove right through. If he came back on the 1st his parents, who may have been planning on spiriting BL out of Florida to avoid arrest, had to scramble and rebook a camping spot.

I am not a camper or a hiker but most people I know who do both activities leave fairly early in the morning to get to the site, set up tent or camper to enjoy the rest of the day.

As someone said above, I don't know what the endgame was to go there. Fort DeSoto is a dead end in terms of getting somewhere else from there. Hitching a ride with someone could have happened but what are the odds that person wouldn't have put two and two together after listening to the news? Without retracing your steps the only other alternative is leaving by boat. Was someone else involved in helping DL escape capture and had a boat ready to take him somewhere else?

When the Mostly Harmless thread was really active, I learned a lot about hiking, specifically the AT, since that was MH's goal. And learned about the people, too. It's a community, a tight knit one, where everyone helps each other. MH started out not knowing much about hiking; he wore jeans, carried an enormous backpack, etc. The thread attracted many seasoned hikers who provided an overview of the different levels of skill and expertise hikers have, from complete newbies like MH to hikers who are so seasoned they hold a level of respect from all. Not all of them signed the logbooks and in the case of MH signed a pseudonym. So for me, just because BL seems a bit arrogant and self absorbed when he defines the purity of his style of hiking above others, doesn't mean he isn't capable of lasting a long time out there.

I've been to Fort DeSoto park many times. It is very pretty but considering there are hundreds of camping sites in that part of Florida, why that one? Was BL familiar with it? They've owned a few homes and sold them but haven't made much money doing so. Do they have any other properties around? Maybe not in their names but under a LLC?

I don't think he's dead. If he is I think it would be more through misadventure rather than suicide. I would like for him to be caught so we can find out what really happened to Gabby.

I don’t really trust TMZ too much but that’s HUGE. Moving around WHERE? Maybe popped into a store to buy something? Maybe tracked his burner phone?

They're just reporting what Dog is feeding them. While I think TMZ is garbage, they are the first to break a LOT of big stories. Kobe Bryant comes to mind

MOO if Dog finds this guy this is going to look pretty bad for the FBI and LE right? I would think the FBI would already know they went camping etc. And maybe the delay in the WFLA is so they are not just filling time up on the same information. I hope they are waiting for reports or confirmations, maybe even a reporter on a scene somewhere

If Dog finds him we should all quit paying our taxes lol

NEW: Carlton reserve is still being searched. They are focusing on the water today.
https://twitter.com/brianentin/status/1443242207646035976?s=21

I've been thinking about this focus on the water.

If BL is dead inside water, it's possible that water samples might reveal his DNA, as a decomposing body would provide quite a bit of DNA - it's a long shot, but multiple water samples from a body of water where they believe Brian might be...might reveal something. It would be a relatively novel use of DNA in a crime, but I do wonder if they've gotten some kind of biological evidence he was there (there are a couple of other things they could be doing, as well).

Perhaps they've had cadaver dogs in there, as well. Seems like they would, by now - perhaps there's one specific area of interest.

I bet there are a lot of people searching for this guy, apart from LE and Dog. A lot of people want justice for GP and her family. There’s also reward $$. Huge bounty on this guy’s head.
That's why I believe if is parents know where he is, they should turn him over to LE. He'll be much safer with LE than someone looking for a reward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288