Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #43

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oof, speaking of islands...
If one wanted to get out of dodge and were already in Florida, it would not be difficult, not difficult at all, to find one's way to Cuba.
I met some dudes in Key West that boated that way often and, no shade to them, but if they didn't recognize BL as a fugitive, they seemed like the kind of dudes that would be glad to take money for a 90 mile cruise. They were basically transients living on boats who probably don't catch the 5 o'clock news.
It would be a place where, as a murderous defector, BL could find work, shelter, and food, and the Cubans would house him as they've housed other US criminal citizens.
Seems out there, I know, but the moral of the story is that the borders of the entire state need to be watched if he hasn't already slipped away.

Your thoughts aren’t that far out there. I, too, hope the investigators are watching the borders. The problem is, BL looks like many guys that age. He can blend in easily. It is approaching the time for a great need for seasonal workers in Florida, and restaurants and parks are so desperate for help, I have to wonder how carefully they would check backgrounds. Or if he’d be recognized at all. I realize this case has captured the nation, but people’s memories can be fleeting.

By now the whole world knows BL and his family are POSs. He buys a new phone with no concern that GP might call to get her van and her belongings? He and his parents knew she wouldn't and why she couldn't. Did they think she would just give him the van? Or that she'd say keep all of my belongings? There is no way they didn't know what happened. They are just as guilty IMHO.

BBM.
Pardon my ignorance and my dabble into devil's advocacy here, but did the new phone have a new number or just a transfer of same number? (Either one confirmed by LE?)
Did the parents believe she'd show up for the van later based on some concocted story he fed them?
I don't think they knew what happened by 09/04 (phone purchase) or even a week or so after that. But unless they've been emotionally and intellectually lobotomized by their son, they know now.

They knew why enough to hire a lawyer.

Sure, by the 10th or 11th. They sure did. I believe Gabby's mom said she started calling them the 9th or 10th, so it's possible the Laundries got the story from Brian between the Sept 3rd and the 9th. It's also possible that he told them right away on the 1st or 31st. We don't know.

I'm sharing this article here because, although I feel like it MUST have been shared before, I absolutely don't remember seeing it posted, or seeing any discussion around it.

• Petito had been working 50 hours a week at a local Taco Bell prior to the couple's trek, which began in early July. She says Laundrie did not want Petito working [...]
Gabby Petito's Best Friend Says Brian Laundrie Had 'Jealousy Issues': 'Toxic Relationship'
edited by me for brevity....

It is indicative of Brian's fixation with Gabby's propensity to actually work, to actually produce something, which, in the usual nature of things would take away her focus on him......that even with the coppers giving him the eye, he had to labour away, complaining about Gabby working..

If you look at the Moab clip, again , Brian is in whinging mode about Gabby 'working' at the cafe that day, and not being as eager to leave it and go for a walk with him, which would be his way of saying, look at moi, look at moi and focus on moi 24/7.

I have AT&T. When I needed my phone replaced they overnighted it to me. I didn't have to leave my home.
Wonder why he didn't do that?
Was this another alibi making trip for him?
I assume we will never know.
Maybe there was an AT &T store in the Walmart?
Maybe he was getting a new account?
MOO

I mean hind sight is 20/20, so I’m not saying anyone at the time would know she was for sure being abused to the point of being in danger. But independent pieces of evidence are pointing toward a guy who was dangerous and getting more dangerous. He took her things when angry, things that gave her freedom or security (her phone, her license), she escaped to a friend’s house to take shelter from him, he didn’t like that they had apps on their phones to let them track each other and told gabby to delete hers, he made her cry in very public places, on two separate occasions that we know about, in less than a two week period, she died somehow when on a trip with him, and then he used an ATM card that was not his and probably was hers, even after she was dead, and so I am feeling 99.9% comfortable in my deduction that he abused her/attempted to control her and that others knew it. On that huge list, I have forgiven my husband for doing exactly ONE of those things (making me cry in a public place) and if he dared to do any of those other things I would leave him so fast his head would spin.

Those are messed up, totally unacceptable, totally abnormal behaviors that signal contempt and lack of agency for the abuse, and I just feel the need to spell that out, because it seems like we are getting sed to hearing he did things and that we might be slipping into thinking they weren’t that bad, probably seemed different. No. We need to call those behaviors put when we see them in Brian and when we see them in anyone. Not acceptable.
1000 likes. I do not know why people are defending him or saying 'we don't know what happened'. We do know that that lovely girl is dead and he is hiding like the coward he is.

Cunanan though was older and more sophisticated, could blend in with the "upper crust" crowd. He was able to navigate based on his skill and knowledge set, though as you mention some of it was definitely pure emotion.

Haven't heard of too many friends, checking wasn't there a friend that said he was into deception-type books or something?

Not sure. Just came back to Websleuths after a far-too-long hiatus b/c I knew you guys would have the goods. That might be a great place to start. I am already itching for a good old fashioned Sunshine Law doc dump, but gotta bring him to justice first!
ETA-Or the parents, esp. since their would-be crimes would have taken place in Florida.

Perhaps not the knowledge and not sure he'd be able to play it cool enough to approach someone about the possibility. Kind of a black market-esque thing. Although, Andrew Cunanan got around (even using his own name) for over a month after he was put on the FBI 10 Most Wanted. Adrenaline or stupidity or both.
You've helped me segue into this: Do we know anything about this guy's associations outside his family? We all rightfully are wondering about the parents' role, but I wonder if he had any seedy friends to speak of.

I don't really think he has many friends -- the personality that I've seen him have so far, doesn't impress me much WRT making and hanging out with friends. Plus, I think he and Gabby were together so much, they may not have sought friends -- and many of hers were in Long Island, and I don't think BL would have encouraged that at all. JMO

And the street protester is gloating about it on Twitter (getting the neighbor arrested).

That protestor is a notorious fraudster and con-man too. I couldn’t believe it when I saw the name. None other than Jonathan Lee Riches. Like you said he’s gloating about it all over Twitter and on his Facebook page too.

Also is always sticking his nose into high profile missing persons cases for attention. In classic JLR fashion he says he’s also going to sue the neighbor now

Last edited:
Laundrie family changed De Soto campground reservations before Brian returned home, docs show

August 24
•BL’s mother initially made reservations for two people to camp at Soto Park Campground in Saint Petersberg between Sept. 1-3.

August 31
•she canceled those reservations (for 2 people)

September 1
•BL arrives home in FL without Gabby

September 3
•she made a new reservation for three people to camp on the weekend of Sept. 6-8

September 6
•the family checks in to the campground (documents obtained by Fox News)

September 8
•check out
(documents obtained by Fox News)

According to the family’s lawyer:
•the family camped out on Sept. 6 and 7 and that "they all left the park."
I find it strange that if the mother knew what Brian had done on the 31st, that she'd go about canceling and making reservations like this. It's like a roadmap that she was alerted to something. Of course, she can always say Brian told her he'd take Gabby to NY already, and maybe the information just looks fishy in hindsight. It's just weird to me to leave a trail like this of reservations if you know there's a crime that was just committed -- as this trail might be used against you in a court of law for aiding and abetting.

I mean hind sight is 20/20, so I’m not saying anyone at the time would know she was for sure being abused to the point of being in danger. But independent pieces of evidence are pointing toward a guy who was dangerous and getting more dangerous. He took her things when angry, things that gave her freedom or security (her phone, her license), she escaped to a friend’s house to take shelter from him, he didn’t like that they had apps on their phones to let them track each other and told gabby to delete hers, he made her cry in very public places, on two separate occasions that we know about, in less than a two week period, she died somehow when on a trip with him, and then he used an ATM card that was not his and probably was hers, even after she was dead, and so I am feeling 99.9% comfortable in my deduction that he abused her/attempted to control her and that others knew it. On that huge list, I have forgiven my husband for doing exactly ONE of those things (making me cry in a public place) and if he dared to do any of those other things I would leave him so fast his head would spin.

Those are messed up, totally unacceptable, totally abnormal behaviors that signal contempt and lack of agency for the abuse, and I just feel the need to spell that out, because it seems like we are getting used to hearing he did things and that we might be slipping into thinking they weren’t that bad, probably seemed different. No. We need to call those behaviors put when we see them in Brian and when we see them in anyone. Not acceptable.
For many, and it would seem most often; the last ones to understand and identify abuse are the victims and perpetrators.
1000 likes. I do not know why people are defending him or saying 'we don't know what happened'. We do know that that lovely girl is dead and he is hiding like the coward he is.

What we definitely know is that what some consider abusive behaviour, others see as being normal. This is PRECISELY why the incidents of DV as so ubiquitous in our ‘civilised’ society.

Essentially that’s exactly what they are. But you can buy those at Walmart to set up at home. No one is going to AT&T for a burner phone. Doing so pretty much negates the whole purpose of getting a burner. There is nothing discreet about going to AT&T to get a phone or even SIM card. That’s why I think it makes most sense for the purchase to have been a replacement device on a line of service they already had for Brian. /JMO

What doesn't make sense is for there to be video footage of him and his mom buying it on the same day he supposedly got missing on the hike. Why buy a phone and directly leave it at home? It's a BRAND NEW PHONE. What younger person forgets that? And what person lets his mom buy him a phone if he knows he's about to kill himself that day?

And remember the car got ticketed for being abandoned at 242pm that same day, September 14th. What sense is this making?

Seems awfully lucky that they made a reservation for labor day on sept 3 and no problem....they get waterfront campsite no 1 ???? Aren't labor day reservations hard to get? jmo

We had a really long talk about that in another thread. I think they would be. Others said they wouldn't.

Your thoughts aren’t that far out there. I, too, hope the investigators are watching the borders. The problem is, BL looks like many guys that age. He can blend in easily. It is approaching the time for a great need for seasonal workers in Florida, and restaurants and parks are so desperate for help, I have to wonder how carefully they would check backgrounds. Or if he’d be recognized at all. I realize this case has captured the nation, but people’s memories can be fleeting.

Yeah, this. He shaves and grows his hair out/bleaches it and he's suddenly every waiter in Volusia....or Dade...or Hernando...

Agree. But look where he left Gabby's body. Out in the open.

(I'm speaking to his not being too bright. JMO)
The ground might have been impossible to dig in that area, or sandy. Plus, I don’t think BL is strong enough to move a body.

IMO, if they lawyered up after the police came to the door with a warrant for the van, it would be less suspect than if they lawyered up before the police made contact with them. But that information is privileged so we can only speculate as to when and why they retained Bertolino, JMO.

If the lawyer is a family friend, what if the Laundries gave the police his number and then called him afterward to say, "hey, the police might be calling you...."

I'd feel confident doing that with a lawyer friend if I knew them for 20 years. I'd probably assume he'd just assume he was my lawyer even if the police called him before I could.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23