Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #44

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by PommyMommy, Sep 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alkali13

Alkali13 Wannabe Criminalist

I will try and look, but I believe it was two different gas stations in a town in Illinois? I saw the same reported.

ETA: Reports: Laundrie credit card purchases linked to Benton, IL gas station

Mo Thuairim, SMK777, MadMcGoo and 2 others like this.

2. nocommoncents

nocommoncents Well-Known Member

BBM
    Agreed. It's too calculated to line up his behavior or coming home and just pretending nothing happened. Something made him come back. That said, his strange behavior on the hitchhikes makes me believe she was already dead.

3. Lubilu

Lubilu Well-Known Member

It's not unusual at all imo for people of their age to not have a Facebook, and Twitter accounts really depend on the person. I don't have a Facebook account, and do have a Twitter but it only has nickname with no surname as the listed name, is private and has been updated maybe ~20 times in the 8 years I've had it, in times I've 'tried to get into' Twitter. It's just not for me though, at least in terms of posting my own thoughts - I do search for news etc sometimes, but only because I visit the homepage for work purposes. Neither GP or BL strike me as the typical Twitter user (although I'm willing to be wrong of course - just my opinion).

We do know Gabby had a Snapchat account - that makes sense to me, as a way to keep in touch and share life insights with close/approved friends. I'm a little older, 26, but I don't think it's unusual and I think young people are much less 'on' social media than older people think - in my experience, we're quite savvy about personal data and staying private with things that should be private. Even if people do have SM accounts, eg a TikTok or personal YouTube account, it may well just be for ease of viewing other people's content rather than sharing their own, and therefore isn't as publicly obvious or identifiable. All my humble opinion, of course :)

ETA: Of course Gabby, at least, was arguably trying to break into the world of social media influencing. I wasn't aware there was a TikTok account for her that had been tracked down, but it does make sense if it was related to her trip. All I meant to say was that from my experience, I wouldn't be surprised if anyone wasn't able to find public social media regarding their personal lives and insights, for example a Twitter account updated during high school, or a more personal account from recent years.

I'd not be surprised, for example, if Gabby had an account on Tumblr or similar blog site, but I'd also be surprised if she had linked that directly to her full name or any other easily-identifiable personal info. Hope that makes sense and that my original post still has some benefit/insight into the social media use of the younger generation!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  4. Eli9

Eli9 Well-Known Member

It's not as easy to do anymore but he could have also hopped on a freight train heading north. I think if he did run he went somewhere familiar. Where? I dunno.

5. Sweet Mister

Sweet Mister Well-Known Member

That's one of the best points that's been made here in days. It strongly suggests that there'd been a break between GP and BL before she disappeared.

superbee, LeeAnnB, vls12345 and 9 others like this.
  6. PingTheRouter

PingTheRouter Ghetto Superstar

JB says WFLA will host a live stream at some point today

7. BellaVita

BellaVita Well-Known Member

Well, if that's the case, why are LE conducting massive searches? Why would BL parents allow that to go on? The FBI could disclose that info if it was true and if they wanted to disclose it. So could the parents. There's no HIPAA violation. Even if a healthcare worker violated HIPAA and told a friend that BL was in a hospital, the friend could tell everyone. The only HIPAA violator would be the healthcare worker. Also, when someone goes missing, LE checks hospitals and they are able to get disclosure of whether that person is there. If BL parents are going to visit BL in a hospital and they are allowing these searches, they are more morally bankrupt than I thought.

8. NeonSunburst69

NeonSunburst69 Member

Im very thankful for you posting that link. I have been looking. It's just another piece of the puzzle. Could very well be that Gabby's mom had to use her home address to file the report in NY. I wish I had more knowledge in those areas...maybe someone here knows how that works.

SandSage, SMK777, khaki and 2 others like this.
  9. Greenestdays

Greenestdays Active Member

Would you want your name and face plastered all over the internet in relation with this case (or any crime case for that matter)? I sure wouldn't. I would talk to the relevant authorities and otherwise keep quiet.
    I am sure the FBI has lots of information from people who saw him, and from his acquaintances. I don't find it odd at all.
    And what good would his parents making a public appeal do? Everybody hates them anyway, everybody is looking for him anyway. There is nothing at this point and as far as the general public is aware that they could say or do to make a difference.

superbee, doxiemom3, LeeAnnB and 10 others like this.
  10. Sleuthypsych

Sleuthypsych Well-Known Member

So, are you saying you think that the FBI would share that information? I don’t know who else would know, they don’t seem to have many friends or contacts. Just throwing that out as a possibility. It occurred to me as I saw the parents leaving to go somewhere again today that something like that could be the case.
    I was wondering if they all could know where he is. Obviously the parents can talk whenever they want but it doesn’t make sense to talk in this scenario. I think where the HIPPA laws come in would be anyone directly working with him in a setting like that. But, even then I would be surprised if someone didn’t spill the beans.

NCWatcher likes this.
  11. jamicat

jamicat Well-Known Member

IMO the phone is not suspicious at all. A lot of people lose their phones The phone was openly purchased and LE has records of it. Where concerns would be are if BL does have a burner phone or phones that LE does not know about. And of course, none of us have any knowledge of thst. What we know, we can pretty much guarantee LE knows unless it’s fast breaking news someone off the information grid releases.

12. Sleuthypsych

Sleuthypsych Well-Known Member

Maybe the searches are for evidence solely? I am aware LE would know where he is but I don’t think they would share that necessarily.

MsBetsy and SMK777 like this.
  13. jamicat

jamicat Well-Known Member

LE tends to ask these places to keep quiet so not to start more of a circus than already happening.

superbee, VaBorn, Mo Thuairim and 4 others like this.
  14. MsBetsy

MsBetsy Well-Known Member

Apparently a neighbor claimed to see Brian outside on the 10th. The couple across the street said he was walking and/or biking with his mom as if everything was normal. Imo

15. Yellow Rose

Yellow Rose Well-Known Member

Brian Entin
    @BrianEntin

Followed up with: Do you know where Brian's previous phone is? The one he had while traveling out West with Gabby? Bertolino response: No.

superbee, DeDee, EvieIvyOver and 12 others like this.
  16. Mikeysmom

Mikeysmom Active Member

JB has been really good with this case. I am in NJ so never saw WFLA before. I admire how he states that they don't just go with any information but check and verify.

17. Bordeaux

Bordeaux Well-Known Member

All pings collected are helpful (eg. the campground) because those pings are then further queried (correlation with additional data) for possible connections to persons of interest.

18. nocommoncents

nocommoncents Well-Known Member

It's an interesting thought but losing a phone/ changing numbers doesn't eliminate communication. They probably communicated mostly by social media apps.

Diddian, Mo Thuairim and NCWatcher like this.
  19. ringbearer

ringbearer Former Member

And that her mother knew about it, consistent with Gabby being on the phone with her mother during the Moab traffic stop. jmo

20. dtowndetective411

dtowndetective411 Well-Known Member

I would think that store owners might shop their stories around to the media for payment? Or for attention, I’m sure more people have heard about Merry Piglets now than ever before due to this case and they're probably getting more business. That type of thing.

Not saying it’s abnormal to keep it under wraps, but it slightly surprises me in a case of this size. But I do hope those stores have reported to the FBI if they have recognizable memory or CCTV, I’m sure they have.

Re: his parents, I agree. They have nothing to win or lose now. But it just doesn’t come across as very concerned to me, or I guess normal behavior for the family with a “missing child”. But this isn’t a normal case so, just surprised by it, but not taking anything further than that from it. Not sure what I expected.

cady and ShadyLady like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.