Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #46

Status
Not open for further replies.
Errr what!?

Please could you copy and paste the article as it's not available to Europe.

This is the relevant part:

Brian’s sister, Cassie, may have seen her brother in the days following his return to Florida without Gabby, despite her previous comments.

Cassie Laundrie said last month she had not spoken to her brother since he returned to Florida without Petito on Sept. 1.

“To my knowledge, Cassie went for a day,” the family attorney Bertolino confirmed to Entin.

When Bertolino was asked whether Cassie was at the campground at the same time as her brother, he responded, “idk” meaning “I don’t know.”

Gabby Petito case: Laundrie’s sister was at the campground with family, attorney says | NewsNation Now

I.don't think Brian Laundrie is anywhere near a.place.he knows or knew! I am thinking he's up the panhandle.way! Or headed west!
He won't go where its.goimg.to.get freezing cold!
I'm not so sure he will.be caught anytime.soon!

Jmo

NORTH PORT, Fla. (NewsNation Now) — Brian Laundrie’s sister, Cassie Laundrie, may have seen her brother in the days following his return to Florida with Gabby Petito, despite her previous comments.

Cassie Laundrie said last month she had not spoken to her brother since he returned to Florida without Petito on Sept. 1.

“I haven’t been able to talk to him,” Laundrie told ABC News last month. “I wish I could talk to him.”

However, NewsNationNow.com reporter Brian Entin exclusively confirmed that Cassie Laundrie may have been at the Fort De Soto campground at the same time the rest of the family in early September.

“To my knowledge, Cassie went for a day,” Laundrie family attorney Steven Bertolino confirmed to Entin.

When Bertolino was asked whether Cassie Laundrie was at the campground at the same time as her brother, he responded, “idk” meaning “I don’t know.”

ETA link:
Gabby Petito case: Laundrie’s sister was at the campground with family, attorney says | NewsNation Now

Thank you!
Well well well

FYI - flightaware shows N415RP helicopter circling the Cocke County, TN area for last hour or so. Not sure any details or whether it is related to BL but the location, altitude and flight path appears to be a focused search pattern.

The Smokey Mountains, VERY remote areas, LOTS of cabins, but also a very busy time of the year.

Moo...much harder to track than the AT or BRP. Better choice for hiding.
In NC here, and very confused. IMOO, grandparents live in Cary, NC, which is roughly a three-hour drive to Boone, NC and the AT. New Bern, NC is on the opposite side of the state, on the Neuse River off the coast.

Zip straight across I-40 thru Ashville and into TN very near area where helicopter was spotted.
This would fit well with the sightings in Boone, NC.

Lots of folks own cabins and lots big mansion 6/10 bedrooms in the hills of Western NC and Eastern TN.
Moo....

Maybe Cassie lied to the media, but not LE?

It's possible. Especially if she was realizing what a media circus this would become -- it would be easier to say "I haven't seen him".

While she would be obligated to be truthful to LE, she's under no obligation to be truthful to the media/public. MOO. (Of course I realize there are cases where you are under obligation to the general public as you're not supposed to incite riots or yell "fire" in a crowded place, etc.)

I think the Laundrie lawyer should take his apparent advice to the Laundries and keep his mouth (or texting fingers) shut more often. He's just adding fuel to the fire and that's probably not the wisest choice for himself or his clients.

MOO.

NEW: “To my knowledge Cassie went for a day.”
Laundrie family attorney says Brian’s sister Cassie was at the campground last month – despite Cassie saying in an earlier interview she hasn’t spoken to Brian since he returned to Florida.
https://twitter.com/brianentin/status/1443965282553368587?s=21

Gabby Petito case: Laundrie’s sister was at the campground with rest of the family, attorney says | NewsNation Now
That's a WOW. The sister clearly said in her interview that she had not seen BL. Is this attorney throwing everyone under the bus?

If we go strictly off of what the attorney said, BL went camping with his parents the 6th through the 8th, he went and came home with them, and his sister also went for a day, there is no way she didn’t see or speak to BL. Somebody is lying.
I think one of the campground pics showed what was likely their camper and it was off the truck. So if they disconnected it, it's possible BL was driving around in it while she visited her parents there. But the question if that's true is why was BL away from the campground all day...why go camping at all if you're going to be driving around the area you already live in the entire time?

Here's the thing. I have clients who truly do not seem to know the difference between the truth and a lie. I largely ignore what they tell me and look at the data, written communications, and anything else objective we can find to piece together the story and then try to get that client's "side" of it to see what really happened.

I make it my duty to make sure those clients never speak to the press. Never release "just one statement to get MY SIDE of the story out." Because I, as their trusted advisor, know that story is likely full of exaggerations or lies that would not take that long to pull apart. If my client released some statement against the advice of counsel, the last thing I would do is release my own statement to "correct" it because then you are TELLING the world that your client is a liar.

So constantly texting the media with bits of information that objectively contradict with other public information (like when the Mustang was picked up, if Cassie saw BL) is really bordering on malpractice. I have never seen anything like it either in my own practice or in following other cases.

Here's a thought about status of BL...and i know it's been discussed but the simplicity of why i think he's alive really hit me.

If he had succumbed to the elements, as a parent I'd be marching right into where ever I 'last saw' him to find him.
Mothers take bullets for their kids, will walk across fire, and any other adage you can find out there.
No, it's so ridiculously elementary, IF you thought your child was being digested by a big gator or a wild boar; you would not casually leave the house and go to walmart. You are paralyzed with grief and worry.

JMO.

It’s hard to say without knowing their family dynamic. I wonder if BL and his parents had a good relationship. Like yeah we can say he was an adult living with them, so they must have liked him well enough, but is that true?

Maybe they felt obligated to house him since he seemed to not be able to or willing to support himself. Maybe he had been asked to move out for years but just wouldn’t and to avoid drama they just let him stay. I have family members who have their 30+ year old kids living with them because it’s just easier than forcing them to move. Other cousins have live in boyfriends or girlfriends in the family home, and their parents hate it but won’t kick them out. For all we know he could have been very mean to his parents and they felt like they had no choice but to let him and gabby live there. All speculation and none of this excuses their behavior. But I have a hard time believing this was a happy, harmonious home before Gabby and BL left for their trip. The dynamic just doesn’t seem normal at all.

What are you guys going for with the van ownership questions? Are you looking for the FBI to charge him with grand theft auto?
He should have the book thrown at him. Actually he's probably passed and that doesn't bother me.......... just so they obtain proof. I would hate for him and his family and his real estate lawyer to have years to blame things on Gabby. Maybe let him out of jail for 8 months with one of those leg monitors. Nah, that would never happen.

Do we have any experts on here that could chime in? From the traffic stop, was there any path to a healthy situation for Gabby? Could anyone have done anything?

IMO and IME, POSSIBLY. I won't claim to be an 'expert' but I do work in the field.
Sorry this is long but I've been wanting to get it out and this question has been asked 100x and I have minute so here you go -

The officer was seriously mistaken in the legal definition of
"Primary aggressor" - The individual who poses the most serious, ongoing threat who might not be the initial aggressor in a specific incident.
This is on every DV training I've ever seen for LE though the wording may vary slightly.

The job of LE in a DV call isn't simply to evaluate what happened in that specific incident but to ALSO evaluate what is going before and after such incidents and in the relationship as a whole. Who and what is causing the escalation of violence. Protocol for LE on DV calls includes lengthy instruction on how to evaluate for co-occurring crime.

Did they even ASK if they had any weapons in the van? Did they ask if BL scares her? Did they ask if she feels safe with him in the van? Did they ask about escalation? Verbal harassment (ie; does he call you names?) Sexual abuse? Why was locking her out of the van in the desert 1000s of miles away from her support network not considered a serious threat in itself? Him attempting to lock her out should be considered primary aggression. If he's threatening to lock her out and leave her - he clearly is the one that is posing the most serious and ongoing threat. Through that lens GP's actions in scratching at him become reactive abuse. Her emotional state becomes abuse victim rather than a mental health episode.

In addition - ignoring GP's claims of how he grabbed her face is against every single bit of DV training that exists. She should have been GRILLED on that. Does he grab her face often? Has he ever (not just that day) grabbed her throat or even put his hand around it? Has he ever choked her or held her down by her neck? Victims who have been choked once are 750 percent more likely to be killed by their abusers.

So aside from correctly evaluating what should they have done?
Had a victim advocate respond. It's imperative in DV situations that there is victim centered and trauma informed support. I do believe that if GP had been given access to a good advocate it's quite possible that she would have revealed more and that advocate could have given her resources and/or connected her with family in order to get her out of the situation. An advocate along with LE can give a victim assurance that if they WANT to get away from the person that they will work in conjunction to make sure that happens (including helping to obtain financial assistance where needed) in a safe manner and that the abuser will not be able to get to them.

As it was GP was left with the knowledge that he was going to be right back with her the next day and it was further framed as "she was in trouble". NO WAY was she going to report anything at that stage. That's about the most terrifying thing a victim of DV can be told. "We're going to separate you ... (heart soars) ... for the night (utter terror)."

And OF COURSE it's possible that GP would have gone right back to BL even with a victim advocate and all the empowerment in the world involved. But it's ALSO possible that with victim centered support she would have been empowered to leave the situation and it would have turned out quite differently.

And if you want to dive into how well victim advocacy /outreach works (https://www.ojp.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/238480.pdf ) See the link.

I also attached an image from said link. When women who live with their abuser are assigned to outreach programs a guilty verdict is entered in court 100% of the time. That falls to 33-59% with referral advocacy or no outreach programs.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-01 at 12.12.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-01 at 12.12.30 PM.png
    51.3 KB · Views: 14
I thought Brian had a different attorney. Wasn't there a document posted in the last thread with the name of the lawyer?

ETA I just went back and checked the document and it actually lists the name of the prosecutor. Surely he must have a separate attorney by now? It's never really been clear if he is representing Brian or the parents.

I think the attorney the Laundries have is for them. He is not a defense attorney and is more likely just giving them advice and speaking on their behalf. Once Brian is (if) apprehended, I’m sure they’ll get him the best defense attorney in Florida and Wyoming money can buy.

Here's the thing. I have clients who truly do not seem to know the difference between the truth and a lie. I largely ignore what they tell me and look at the data, written communications, and anything else objective we can find to piece together the story and then try to get that client's "side" of it to see what really happened.

I make it my duty to make sure those clients never speak to the press. Never release "just one statement to get MY SIDE of the story out." Because I, as their trusted advisor, know that story is likely full of exaggerations or lies that would not take that long to pull apart. If my client released some statement against the advice of counsel, the last thing I would do is release my own statement to "correct" it because then you are TELLING the world that your client is a liar.

So constantly texting the media with bits of information that objectively contradict with other public information (like when the Mustang was picked up, if Cassie saw BL) is really bordering on malpractice. I have never seen anything like it either in my own practice or in following other cases.
Agreed. This attorney is making a ton of mistakes and I would imagine as a RE attorney he really has no business trying to handle this case even as a (horrible) spokesperson for the family. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam