Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #46

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by PommyMommy, Sep 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seabunny

Seabunny Well-Known Member

Sorry, I can't remember, but do we know for certain he came home with them on the 8th? I thought no one actually saw him. Or, was the 14th the last sighting?

Turkeytrot likes this.

2. BellaVita

BellaVita Well-Known Member

If I go on a date with someone and he causes a scene during which he feels the need to go back inside the restaurant 4 different times to yell at an employee, that indicates a volatile person who is likely to be an abuser.

If someone takes my ID away from me so I can't go somewhere with my friends, that is an abuser.

If someone locks me out of my own car and tries to drive away, leaving me alone with no family or friends, that is an abuser.

If I am in the car with someone who is going 30mph over the limit because he is pissed, that is a volatile person who is likely to be an abuser.

BL also called her craaazzy! That word is the buzzword for all abusers everywhere.

I don't think it is speculating to say GP was abused. All abuse is not as dramatic as a black eye or broken bones. MOO.

3. jdglove

jdglove Active Member

BL was likely admonished by the lawyer not to talk about what happened regarding Gabby, even to family members. His sister may have meant that she wasn't able to talk to him about all this stuff regarding Gabby but she wish she could have. That would make a lot of sense and it could explain her statements in the most charitable light. But it does demonstrate why the parents would have been advised to say nothing.

4. Bordeaux

Bordeaux Well-Known Member

In this case his permanent residence is probably his parents’s home. While camping the vehicle becomes a residence, just like a vacation home.

A camper is usually considered a domicile while it is parked and you are living in it. While driving it is a vehicle. State laws vary. For example, laws pertaining to firearms are often different for a vehicle vs. a domicile (castle law, in some states) domicile laws often apply while parked and camping.

Marg from Oz and carbuff like this.
  5. HoneySugar

HoneySugar Active Member

Brilliant response, and stated far better than I could have articulated. I agree 110% with your assessment and explanation of the situation @bellyup !

SparkleGal7, esayer, Sunshynn and 2 others like this.
  6. jamicat

jamicat Well-Known Member

BL seems to like to go on long hikes away from camo site. We know he was picked up by people twice doing that in Tetons. So very possible he was out on a long hike when his sister stopped by and they did not see each other. It would be very stupid of her to have publicly lied.
    I think lawyer stated this because breaking news on this pending. Sister Probably caught on camera there do no sense denying it. Just like cell phone—word was out.

7. SuziQ

SuziQ Well-Known Member

For some reason I can't quote.

Imo, the reason Brian volunteered to go to jail for Gabby was self preservation. Getting arrested may have freaked her out enough to tell LE the truth about the abuse. Well Brian couldn't risk that. Gabby might protect him to some extent, but she might not have been willing to go to jail for him.

MayT, CityKid, Dexter12 and 5 others like this.
  8. RabidDogISC

RabidDogISC Well-Known Member

After reading the article it doesn’t really confirm or deny anything. Media puts their voice in is what I got out of it.
    Very good post! Excellently explained! This is my experience with DV stops. IMO the officers on scene did miss valuable questioning that could have answered a lot of future speculations.

TexieLouWho21 likes this.
  9. SMK777

SMK777 Well-Known Member

But not in the Moab tape itself, and not before she was viewed as missing. Her homicide puts all in a different light.

10. wary

wary Well-Known Member

MOO

I’m thinking that the first few statements he made were overly cold because he thought that would be ‘professional.’

Then, as he starts to enjoy the attention, he’s lapsing into all sorts of poorly phrased statements that he really wouldn’t need to say. How could it be in the interests of the Petinos for him to say anything about their daughter?

MOO

PatLaurel and Alethea like this.
  11. imstilla.grandma

imstilla.grandma Believer of Miracles

I hate to sound so judgmental but I think this is learned behavior from his family. Master manipulation. We are being taken on a fool’s mission. Every time the Laundries speak out through their attorney or leave the house, it is a signal we are going to be told something that changes the picture in their favor. The gun and the fear of suicide is a total red herring aka b. s. to alter their narrative. They are kinda in control aren’t they? Manipulative and stonewalling tactics. Nothing says so much as silence. imo

12. SuperTmo

SuperTmo Well-Known Member

moo. She probably picked him up from the campground and took him somewhere. Maybe her house or the home of someone she knows? Got him hooked up with a car and then he split.

13. jvikes

jvikes Well-Known Member

This is a great post, well worth the read

14. Yellow Rose

Yellow Rose Well-Known Member

So what about the check-in sheet that said 3 in......?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2021
  15. Mito

Mito Well-Known Member

10 years of abuse without bruises just PTSD and financial disasters. If you knew anything about NPD abuse it’s as damaging but does not follow the same path. The person that „loves“ you does every thing in their Power to make you fail.

16. JuliaGoolia

JuliaGoolia Well-Known Member

2 different things. Your son took the keys to avoid a situation, BL took the keys to the van to prove a point and instill fear

17. oviedo

oviedo Well-Known Member

it's really unbelievable behavior IMO seems like he is enjoying the attention just a bit too much

Diddian, GDawg89, bestill and 6 others like this.
  18. SuziQ

SuziQ Well-Known Member

Finally the quote button works for me.

This. All of it. It amazes me that people think that Moab LE did a good job here. Or that it wasn't their job to to solve the issue at hand. It is their job and they did it poorly.

19. TheGardener

TheGardener Well-Known Member

Agree. I've never seen a lawyer work so hard to damage their client(s).

wary, Kapua, SMK777 and 5 others like this.
  20. 10ofRods

10ofRods Verified Anthropologist

In many DV situations where one's child is the person at a risk, fathers are not told the details until there's a plan of action. Fathers often react differently than mothers.

IME, when a person begins to think about leaving a DV situation or deteriorating relationship with a controlling partner, that person has to be very careful about who they tell and even then, it's dangerous. It's true that if a woman's father shows up (armed or not) to extricate her, that sometimes works - but in general, that father is likely to get into trouble if he's worked up. Perhaps Gabby's dad has some health issues and even if not, I know my blood pressure would go up if I learned my daughter were in this situation. I would want to do something but it is the adult daughter who has to get a plan together. All I know is that many women tell their mothers, and the mothers promise to keep things a secret until it's safer.

I don't think it has to do with "closeness," but more with the need for absolute secrecy in leaving a situation with intimate partner violence. Gabby's real chance came when she was in SLC without Brian (which I believe to be true). I do think that Brian's trip back to FL was meant to be a kind of break-up, but that Gabby agreed to have Brian come back and they would continue the trip after a break. Probably everyone thought that the stress of the road and living in camps was a big factor. Personally, I think Brian needed to be under the watchful eyes of his parents (especially his dad) in order to function at an age-appropriate level.

I wonder what Gabby's mom said to her on the 25th, about the continuation of their journey. Was Brian acting normally? Was he aloof? Was he talking constantly about what Gabby had "done to him" via the LE stop and the (possibly embarrassing) trip back home? Were they in "detente" mode, merely to go on to Yellowstone? The trip was supposed to end in Portland - I wonder what the plan was at that point, if Gabby didn't want to drive the van home. Were they stuck together for another couple of weeks? Gabby must have felt under pressure to get Nomadic Statik up and running as a brand.

It's also possible that Gabby told her mother very little of what was really going on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.