Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #47

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't that interview conducted before Gabby's body was discovered? When CL said she hoped it was all a big misunderstanding, she was probably still believing whatever lie BL had told the family about Gabby. Weirdly, though, CL and her parents should have figured out how serious the situation was on the 10th when Gabby's parents were desperately trying to contact them for answers about Gabby's whereabouts...and certainly on the 11th when Gabby s announced to be a missing person...and absolutely, on the 14th when Brian took off for parts unknown. CL interview was after all of that. jmo
I think I’m going to have to make a chart intertwining 911 calls, CL statements in real time, and reflective explanatory statements of attorney. Regardless of media edits on presentation, something is clearly off here.

Think about it. Not one family member has begged this guy to turn himself in. It has nothing to do with their involvement with anything other than being terrified he's in danger. Nothing. They could still maintain their right to remain silent on matters concerning their possible involvement, but at least use the media to reason with their son. Absent that simple gesture of humanity, who cannot but think some kind of pervading disfunction factors into the entire situation.
They have a missing, endangered adult child, with an enormous bounty affixed to him. That IS dangerous. In fact MORE dangerous than the possible penalty for the crime he's currently charged with. The media is begging for them to use the opportunity to speak. Nothing.
Brian needs their help and they're opting for self-defense.
MOO
And no one in their right mind makes a Walmart run when their child may be dead or endangered. Just ain't buying he's not alive until FBI tells me he's dead.

Interested to know what makes people think he still could be alive?
I only hope he is for justice to be served..
He doesn't strike me as being at all worldly-wise for him to have escaped to another country and all that entails to be able to do so.
I have doubts in his ability to survive in the wild for this length of time.
I do not think it sounds like he possesses the mental stamina to cope solo.
His probable lack of financial funds unless someone is providing, but who, with the FBI/LE most likely watching his family's every move.
No sight nor sign of him since he disappeared.
IMO all the above points to him being no longer alive
Absence of proof that someone is alive is not a reason to declare the person dead except under certain circumstances, none of which are met here. He’s only been gone a bit more than 2 weeks and he could be living in someone’s basement or an empty home. There hasn’t been any evidence other than opinion that he’s dead. I’d say as many or more opinions out there that he’s alive.
At this point , after a grueling, nasty hunt in horrible conditions in a Florida swamp, I dare say, local LE are ready to say he’s dead and not in that reserve

You have absolutely no idea what they've been told to say by their lawyers. And before you jump in with "well if it was me..." please realize we can all say that now but if we were in that situation who knows what it would really be like.
A choice between a possible downward departure and probation, or death by an over zealous bounty hunter (DTBH isn't the only dog in the hunt). I love my brother. I'd give it a shot.
MOO

Totally agree. The other thing I do if I’m trying to not have people attack me is I don’t take their phone and their vehicle and lock them out and say I’m going to leave them on the side of the road.

this is the way I live my life and so far it’s worked 100% of the time.

Exactly, people are like “she hit him first/too.” Well, perhaps she did, but how did he antagonize her for hours or days leading up to that. How did he push her to her snapping point (which I believe he did on purpose)? I believe BL enjoyed pushing her to the edge and making her lose it. If he had just treated her with a little bit of respect and compassion, we wouldn’t be sitting here talking about them. If he hadn’t used her vehicle and phone as ways to exploit her vulnerabilities or insecurities while mentally abusing her (because I have zero doubts he drove off without her when angry before this - moo), we wouldn’t be here most likely. Being a nice human gets you pretty far in life. It’s too bad BL didn’t subscribe to that approach.

MOO.

Not one family member has begged this guy to turn himself in.
Why would they take the chance of him going to prison vs staying outside of prison as long as possible?
They might see it as a mistake he made that regretfully can’t be changed. Nothing can bring Gabby back but they still love their son.
He could stay hid somewhere forever just living on food delivery.

Last edited:
It’s common in a caregiver situation for sure. Like when I had my bone marrow transplant. My kids were shopping and filling my vehicle’s gas tank. They used my debit card with my permission.

I was surprised when the federal warrant came out for bank card use. It struck me as, are they desperate to find something to pin on him? Looking for a reason to hold him? Justifying what has to be a million dollar plus search for him?

It’s amazing how easy would it be to implode someone’s life just by claiming they used your debit card. These 2 weren’t married but in a long term relationship. It wouldn’t seem odd to me to use each other’s debit card on occasion. But hey, if this is what it takes to find this asshat, I’m all for it!!

The warrant for bank card use is very useful for them. It allows every police force in the US to actively look for him and hold him if they want. What makes me nervous about that is that the autopsy has had to be fully completed and reviewed by now and they didn't use any of that to put out a warrant for him. Maybe they are saving it until later to not tip off to the defense anything that could still be hidden by BL while on the run. IDK exactly what the rules are for releasing info to the defense/family is, but maybe since there haven't been any charges against BL for the GP's death they don't have to release any info to BL's attorney.

Think about it. Not one family member has begged this guy to turn himself in. It has nothing to do with their involvement with anything other than being terrified he's in danger. Nothing. They could still maintain their right to remain silent on matters concerning their possible involvement, but at least use the media to reason with their son. Absent that simple gesture of humanity, who cannot but think some kind of pervading disfunction factors into the entire situation.
They have a missing, endangered adult child, with an enormous bounty affixed to him. That IS dangerous. In fact MORE dangerous than the possible penalty for the crime he's currently charged with. The media is begging for them to use the opportunity to speak. Nothing.
Brian needs their help and they're opting for self-defense.
MOO

That shipped has sailed the moment they were told by their lawyer to remain silent. There isn't a chance now, imo for any of them to be received graciously by the press, even if they had nothing to do with BL's disappearance.

Can you think of any news outlet ready to take on that task? The public is angry too and that anything they do say now will be looked at with suspicion. No, I'm afraid they pigeonholed themselves into the corner they now stand in.

Is it off topic to wonder why a 24 year-old man doesn’t seem to own anything? Not his car, not his bank account (presumably not even funds or things owned in joint tenancy), not a place to live….just nothing at all that anyone has turned up. I’m not getting at mental health here but rather at whether there might be desire or choice to avoid ownership (yet somehow not be above using things other people own… but that might be a whole different topic.)
To me this falls into two camps. One being a college student who is still building their life out, starting their career, and adding a pandemic in, it creates the perfect storm. Nearly 30 somethings still under someone else’s roof but not by their choice.

The other camp - parents and family are enablers.

The warrant for bank card use is very useful for them. It allows every police force in the US to actively look for him and hold him if they want. What makes me nervous about that is that the autopsy has had to be fully completed and reviewed by now and they didn't use any of that to put out a warrant for him. Maybe they are saving it until later to not tip off to the defense anything that could still be hidden by BL while on the run. IDK exactly what the rules are for releasing info to the defense/family is, but maybe since there haven't been any charges against BL for the GP's death they don't have to release any info to BL's attorney.

I'm not sure that anyone has claimed to be BL's attorney, in absentia, anyway.
Perhaps if someone was, they could push for information regarding the crime for which their client is said to be a POI?
Not sure.

But to reiterate, it's an assumption.

LE and MSM have NOT once said the card BL used belonged to Gabby.

<modsnip>

MOO

The first newspaper article says otherwise. The arrest warrant links Gabby Petito's death to Brian Laundrie's bank fraud. What other inference are we supposed to make?

As I pointed out, there would be no reason for a grand jury indictment to include an explicit mention of Gabby unless the bank fraud was specifically linked to her, and the timing of her death.

Your comment is ironic and tragic at the same time. Gabby literally came with instructions of her tattoo “Let it be.”

All it would have taken was a few minor changes on his behalf, which wouldn’t take any extra effort, and none of us would be here talking about them. It’s easier to be a nice decent person than it is to be mean and manipulative. I wish he had made better decisions. I wish she had realized leaving him was not only ok, but highly encouraged.

I wish that Gabby was home with her parents planning her new attempt at a travel blog: single girl van life adventures. A young woman reinventing herself after leaving an abusive relationship as she travels around the country in her van, often with a trusted friend along for the ride. Finding herself and healing after a toxic relationship. I’d watch that.

MOO.

BL could be comfortably holed up in a friend’s house long before he was ever a person of interest. MOO
If he has a friend....more likely, holed up in a relative's cabin or something like that. Seems like FBI would know that, though. I'd sure like to know what "intelligence" there was that kept the search at the reserve for soooo long. It wasn't just the parents' say so. jmo

I’d be interested in RL and CL’s food delivery orders. Did they order for 2 or 3 or 4 people? Are they taking food to BL through someone that is not being watched by LE. We know they got flowers delivered, so they have support from an outside source. NOT saying go stake out their home, friends or family or restaurants! I’m just curious if the food orders are being monitored by LE.

Why would they take the chance of him going to prison vs staying outside of prison as long as possible?
They might see it as a mistake he made that regretfully can’t be changed.
He could stay hid somewhere forever just living on food delivery.

There were options:
1) Lie and deny
2) Confess and plea-bargain
3) Run forever, if that is even possible
4) Hide out, say nothing and see what evidence is presented

The trap is, if BL turned himself in on the bank fraud charge, he doesn’t know what evidence exists on the murder case! MOO

The first newspaper article says otherwise. The arrest warrant links Gabby Petito's death to Brian Laundrie's bank fraud. What other inference are we supposed to make?

As I pointed out, there would be no reason for a grand jury indictment to include an explicit mention of Gabby unless the bank fraud was specifically linked to her, and the timing of her death.

I think the point that I'm trying to make is that there definitely appears to be some selective bias in terms of what people are and aren't willing to make assumptions and inferences on.

I don't even necessarily disagree with you that that assumption could feasibly be drawn from the information provided, but it is an assumption nonetheless.

Anyway, let's hope this weekend brings some more concrete developments in this case :D

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members