Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #50

Status
Not open for further replies.
BL's parents (and sister) could win "most despised family in U.S." award right now, I speculate. That said, I consider them at risk, and hope they depart for a safe location. (That LE knows about, of course). The mob in front of their home is a bad sign. We don't need more tragedy in an already tragic situation.

Amateur opinion and speculation
I would guess that's why police were stationed out there. They've already had one neighbor arrested for assaulting a protestor. I really believe as this drags on, the protestors will get tired and move on. Are we sure the Laundries are still in the home? Have they been seen at all?

BL's parents (and sister) could win "most despised family in U.S." award right now, I speculate. That said, I consider them at risk, and hope they depart for a safe location. (That LE knows about, of course). The mob in front of their home is a bad sign. We don't need more tragedy in an already tragic situation.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Definitely agree, crowd mentality could happen and they could do anything, egg each other on and potentially commit crimes. As much as I dislike what the laundrie family has done by keeping quiet, we as the general public are not privy to LE/FBI information for all we know they might not have had a clue. I really think they should have been moved to a safe location, which I’m sure the neighbours would appreciate too and LE could keep an eye on their phones etc. To me this seems like the safest and smartest thing LE could/should do. JMO

Edit just wanted to add, obvious peaceful protests are a human right IMO, I just don’t want to see it escalate and the focus to be off of gabby getting justice. We’ve already seen neighbours getting into trouble. Plus I wouldn’t want to see someone ruin their lives doing something illegal to the laundries IMO they’re not worth it.

Last edited:
Lara Yeretsian, another high-powered West Coast defense attorney, said potential charges against the parents hinge on what, if anything, they told the FBI when investigators entered their home last month, and whether they misled or misdirected authorities.

"We don't have enough information," she said. "All of this is conjecture, honestly."

But if any charges are filed against the parents, she said, they might relate to obstructing justice or accessory after the fact.

Rahmani said he expects federal investigators have already begun subpoenaing phone records and other evidence as part of their investigation and that more serious charges against Laundrie are likely.
Brian Laundrie manhunt: Could parents face obstruction, accessory charges?

I’m struggling. So many triggers. I’ve broken down in tears several times. Sobbing. I could have been Gabby. Perhaps she covered for Brian because that’s what she knew to do. Perhaps she didn’t tell anyone he was abusive because at first, it didn’t seem that bad. It seemed normal for her. It wasn’t that bad. I can talk him down. I’ll take the blame just so this fight will be over. I won’t tell. I won’t tell…

So sad to hear this, but you now can see it so easily. Lotsa time, growing up and getting smarter. You survived. At a cost, certainly.
And we see it with some of our sad cases here, don't we? And bad endings are heart-breakers and often worse than simply broken hearts.
We're so glad you're here with us; your comments are always helpful and wise. Thanks for sharing.

Hunting season is around the corner as well. Even the most remote cabins will suddenly be filled with flannel and beer.

yup. Right now, he could hole up in a number of shelters on private properties that may be vacant. Hunting season, and the snowbird season coming soon and those places will be filling up.

Lara Yeretsian, another high-powered West Coast defense attorney, said potential charges against the parents hinge on what, if anything, they told the FBI when investigators entered their home last month, and whether they misled or misdirected authorities.

"We don't have enough information," she said. "All of this is conjecture, honestly."

But if any charges are filed against the parents, she said, they might relate to obstructing justice or accessory after the fact.

Rahmani said he expects federal investigators have already begun subpoenaing phone records and other evidence as part of their investigation and that more serious charges against Laundrie are likely.
Brian Laundrie manhunt: Could parents face obstruction, accessory charges?
Possible. But more likely they followed strict instructions from attorney and could beat such raps. That GP’s family is likely to file civil suit is going to be a huge issue because the rules are more flexible in civil court.

I keep wondering about this trip. So many questions with no answers. Where are Gabby’s belongings now? Did any neighbors see Brian there? Or moving her stuff? Why did they not ask her dad in Florida to clear it out? What was the cost of the flight, Gabby’s hotel room, van parking, food? I just fail to understand this trip when money seemed to be an issue. MOO
I would really like to know what Gabby did when Brian went back to Florida to help his Dad move things? I am sure she was working on documenting their trip, but I wonder if she was reflecting on her and Brian's trip?

I can not for the life of me understand an entire family covering for someone who did something this heinous.

I am so baffled by this that I keep going back to, why?

Any chance anyone has considered that Brian being the martyr he is put the entire blame on Gabby? So, the parents help him out, legitimately not knowing she was murdered or missing at the time. Blood being thicker than water, they supported their son.

I am not trying to give them an out but I am trying to understand how/why we are here and they are just...gardening. Is there a chance they really did not know anything at first and have been cooperative since they started putting the pieces together?

There is no need to vehemently disagree with me/attack me for suggesting this. I am just presenting an option to be considered because I have been of the 'family is guilty' mindset, like most, but I have this nagging little part of me that says...did he possibly play his own family too?

There appears to be a normalization/minimization coming from both sides of the family. CL displayed this clearly in her ABC interview when she said <paraphrased> that it was normal to fight and separate and come back together and that this is what "normal" couples do. She said that in reference to the Moab video. GP's mother minimized that video as well. It is seemingly normal to them for relationships to work that way. Rose, on the other hand, recognized that the up/down, on/off pattern in the relationship, and the controlling and/or jealous behavior of BL was toxic.

It is NOT normal for one person to grab the other's face in the way Gabby described. It is NOT normal for a couple to be hitting each other in the street. But to CL and GP's mother, the video showed nothing more than a normal spat between a young couple. It's sad, to me, that so many people think those are things all normal couples do. If that is the message Gabby was getting from the people around her, she probably normalized it as well, and stayed in that relationship much longer than she should have.

Now, does this level of "normal" relationship dysfunction typically lead to murder? Of course not. A lot of times it stays at this low level of emotional abuse and occasional physical assaults of pushing and slapping. And quite often, it escalates and becomes worse and worse over time and this kind of thing should never be minimized or normalized by anybody.
It's a spectrum. It's also not normal for people to never have an argument. What I think happened is that during this trip they had no one to keep things in check. If anyone's taken a trip with even a close friend, you know how it can wear on you after a couple of days. Add to that some youth, hormones, financial issues, close quarters and a lack of good coping methods and it's not surprising they had problems that escalated. But then this went to the far end of the spectrum and Gabby was murdered. It doesn't always get worse, people can have a less than stellar moment, but it does sound like in this case things were escalating if we believe the interaction at the Merry Piglets.

I would really like to know what Gabby did when Brian went back to Florida to help his Dad move things? I am sure she was working on documenting their trip, but I wonder if she was reflecting on her and Brian's trip?
What was the reason given for the trip home and storage? Were they moving things out of storage? If so where were they going to put those things in such a small home? Whose things?
Tia!

Your son or sibling comes back from a trip with his girlfriend’s van but without his girlfriend. She’s inactive on her social media. I find it very hard to believe that there’s a plausible story he could’ve told his family that didn’t involve some harm coming to her.

If she wandered off, you notify parents and police and whoever else. You’re worried, right?

If she went off with other people, you question why she did it without her van and you question why she’s quiet on social. You tell her parents this when they call. (Would be fascinated to know if her belongings were in the van when he came home)

Whatever you do, you certainly don’t stay silent and then ignore her parents.

Then, in amongst all this, you go camping. Oh to be a fly on the wall at the various Laundrie residences that first week after he drove back.

Even if I try to convince myself they maybe don’t know at first, I don’t believe they wouldn’t have come to their own conclusions about it all fairly quickly.

Possible. But more likely they followed strict instructions from attorney and could beat such raps. That GP’s family is likely to file civil suit is going to be a huge issue because the rules are more flexible in civil court.

I don't think there can be a civil suit against the parents unless they are somehow responsible for Gabby's actual death, and not just for what happened afterward. jmo

I have a personal opinion on the whereabouts of BL. But I know its not the only possibility so I keep an open mind when new information comes in and don't discard it simply because it doesn't meet my personal narrative. I appreciate posters who can do the same thing. Here is my personal opinion.

I believe BL killed GP.
I believe BL killed himself in the Reserve.
I believe his parents didn't know he killed her until they learned GP was missing.
I believe that once he confirmed it to them they began efforts to preserve the life of their son by getting a lawyer involved.
I believe he really did go into the preserve to hide out once he was named a POI and before the media circus went into high gear at the house.
I believe on Friday after he left they found out somehow he offed himself or was going to so they contacted LE.
I believe LE thought they were looking for a body and spent so much effort at it because they knew they only had a limited amount of time before the conditions in their might erase all signs of him and then they would have an open manhunt forever.
I believe that the reason we don't see much of a manhunt anymore even though there are supposed sightings, is that LE don't believe any of them and are only going through the motions to calm the local residents.

But I also know I might be completely wrong on all these points so I look at every new piece of information with my mind open for all possibilities. BL could be on his last mental and physical legs and will be caught soon, or he could be having the time of his life playing super-fugitive and laughing at all the crazy sightings. Or anything in between.

I think along the lines of your scenario. I think BL's parents were in the dark until 09/10 when Gabby's parents started calling. At that point they pressured BL for the truth and what he told them was serious enough they knew he needed a lawyer. When BL left home on the 14th he may have led his parents to believe he was going to turn himself in after one last hike. That could be why they waited several days before informing LE he was missing. They may have held onto hope that he would do that. I also believe he is deceased. IMO.

Someone posted that the FBI may have to give warning that they are coming.
I don’t believe the FBI have to warn anyone they plan to show up at someone’s door. If they have a warrant, they’re coming in, whether you have an attorney or not. You don’t have to answer questions without an attorney present. They may notify your attorney as a courtesy but it’s not a requirement.

I've asked before and never gotten answer (not necessarily asked you @jamicat) but even with "flexible rules" how could be family be sued? Brian or his estate, yes. But the family? I'm not an attorney but I don't see "wrongful death" fitting as an action against the parents as I do not think anyone would believe they helped BL kill GP. So what would the grounds be? Is there an "obstruction after the fact" civil action that could be brought? I've never heard of that.
JMO

I can not for the life of me understand an entire family covering for someone who did something this heinous.

I am so baffled by this that I keep going back to, why?

Any chance anyone has considered that Brian being the martyr he is put the entire blame on Gabby? So, the parents help him out, legitimately not knowing she was murdered or missing at the time. Blood being thicker than water, they supported their son.

I am not trying to give them an out but I am trying to understand how/why we are here and they are just...gardening. Is there a chance they really did not know anything at first and have been cooperative since they started putting the pieces together?

There is no need to vehemently disagree with me/attack me for suggesting this. I am just presenting an option to be considered because I have been of the 'family is guilty' mindset, like most, but I have this nagging little part of me that says...did he possibly play his own family too?

That’s my headspin too. I find it really hard to believe that people can be like this. I keep looking for reasons to give them leeway but it’s a struggle because I can’t imagine any scenarios that fit or would present a reasonable explanation. They’d have to be incredibly gullible and given their quick decision to stay silent and communicate only through a lawyer they don’t fit that profile either for me. They’re clearly thinkers and have strategised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23