Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #51

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by PommyMommy, Sep 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kristin Esq.

Kristin Esq. Verified Attorney

2. sanders

sanders Member

I don’t recall hearing that BL had ever been homeless or semi-homeless, had slept in any homeless shelters, or had hung out with homeless or semi-homeless people, ever.

Hikers and backpackers are definitely not homeless, nor are travelers in vehicles (RVers, vacationers, vanlifers, vandwellers, nomads, and the like).

If BL tries to submerge himself into the homeless or semi-homeless world (that is, among people on foot or on bicycles who are trying to survive in cities with little or no money, sleeping on the streets or in city parks, shelters, or sometimes in broken-down vehicles), then he will be seen on a daily basis by many many people and passers-by, both homeless and non-homeless, and will undoubtedly be caught very very quickly. So I don’t think he’d try that. Nor do I think he would be hiking the AT or any other hiking trail because hikers tend to pay attention to each fellow hiker they run across and are sociable with each other.

IMO if he’s outdoors and still in the U.S., I think he’s either dead or he’s hunkering down & camping in a remote unpopulated wild area to avoid being seen at all. He wouldn’t walk around openly in the daytime among other people & just try to “blend in” hoping not to be recognized. He’d be too paranoid for that. He’s a loner. But he might come out at night to change locations or to get food & supplies, like Eric Rudolph did just before he was caught. If still in Florida, BL might have a boat and hide among the waterways & small islands.

If he is indoors, whether in an air BNB or a remote deserted cabin or a city hideaway (courtesy of someone who is helping to hide him), then he would stay put even more and would not venture out.

If he’s gotten his hands on a vehicle somehow, then he could be anywhere in the country by now. Perhaps California. He could easily remain undetected long-term just by wearing sunglasses and a hat and a covid mask. Or if he’s on a motorcycle, a helmet with a tinted visor.

But I wonder, has LE ever searched his sister CL’s house or questioned her? What if BL’s been holed up at her place this entire time? It’s been confirmed that CL met up with her parents and BL at the Fort DeSoto campground on Sept 6-7th, right? BL could have left that campground with CL in her car, then the parents could have staged the diversion a few days later involving the Mustang at the Carlton Reserve and planting a few of his items out in the swamp to make it look like he went in there & committed suicide. MOO.

Trooper, Really?, shiraz and 11 others like this.
  3. Jettson

Jettson Well-Known Member

I agree. And for someone who loved being out in nature (as BL seemingly did) I would imagine the thought of decades in prison represented a fate worse than death. IMO he is in the Reserve, deceased by his own hand.

4. cady

cady Well-Known Member

So, not sure that ANYTHING of GP's is at the Laundrie residence.......so where is it? If her stuff was not moved out of storage and into the Laundrie home, shouldn't it still be in storage...somewhere? Maybe this has been solved quietly and her parents have recovered her stuff, but the whole storage/moving story is rather curious! jmo

SouthAussie, LAhiker, RANCH and 4 others like this.
  5. Van Helsing

Van Helsing Well-Known Member

I believe if he committed suicide, I think he waded out into a secluded swamp to do it in hopes that gators would consume his remains. MOO
    I'd like to see the intense searching by the police and FBI to stop so that if he is still alive he might relax and get sloppy (and to save taxpayers' $$). Isn't that when US Marshals would get him?

6. jamicat

jamicat Well-Known Member

Around here, you have to sign the contract for a year. But as I said, there might have been other business that needed attention back home. Not unusual to have to return to take care of stuff.

but all opinion. I don’t see a whole lot of relevance to what happened to Gabby anyways because IMO, what happened was not planned. MOO it was temper and loss of control that likely happened. I simply cannot see this guy planning this out ahead of time and going through time and expense to do so. Makes no sense to me. But, possible. Any and everything is until disproven by evidence

7. Bree1950

Bree1950 Well-Known Member

I’m hoping BL is located soon! I feel if he is in the US there is hope for him to be brought in. If he is outside the US, I think eventually it will happen but will take much longer! I feel someone may harboring/hiding him in their home. I feel this way because it would be difficult with the reward money, LE teams, John Walsh and Dog the Bounty Hunter and the general public to escape detection. I feel he left the family camping trip with whoever is hiding him. He can survive a long time inside someone’s home and then resurface to stay hidden when the news media coverage lessens after the first of the Year.

8. putnam6

putnam6 Same as it ever was...

That is exactly what he said, he doesn't come off as a crackpot but honestly these days you never know.

Trooper, lizzied and Bree1950 like this.
  9. Jurisprudence

Jurisprudence Well-Known Member

I don't know about this. They certainly have enough to hold him and roll him. The govt had immediately put in a motion for pretrial detention after the initial warrant (see docket link in earlier post) and you'd be surprised how people can begin to talk once they've been locked up for awhile. MOO

SouthAussie, Trooper, LeeAnnB and 7 others like this.
  10. jamicat

The garage is chock full of stuff. Maybe someone can get a close up of what’s in that garage. There were photos and videos that showed it was completely full.

Trooper, 10ofRods, LAhiker and 5 others like this.
  11. EvieIvyOver

EvieIvyOver Former Member

Since that August flight to Florida was so close to the date of the police encounter, and reading that they had a history of taking "breaks", my opinion is that the storage clean-out was maybe just an excuse to get a breather from each other to cool the emotions. It also served to give Gabby time to get her work done--she seemed to be struggling with that. Overall, for whatever reasons, their lack of tolerance and their anger towards each other was rapidly progressing and they needed a break...maybe they took the advice of the Moab police officers.

12. Wallendo

Wallendo Active Member

I suspect GP's death was an impulsive event. BL seemed to wander around for a few days before going back to the van and driving home. He may well have told his parents that he and GP had a fight and broke up and that she flew back to New York and would sent someone to pick up the van later. That story obviously would not have held water for long. The question is when did the story begin to unravel to his family?

Another option is that he told his parents that Gabby tripped over rocks and hit her head and died. In light of the Moab incident, he was convinced the police wouldn't believe it was an accident and his parents told him to come home and they would call their lawyer. Even if this event were actually an accident, would anyone here believe that? I wouldn't.

If BL is alive, he will most likely be captured when he tries to contact his family. A guy who lives at home with mom and dad is not going to want to be completely alone for a long period.

Trooper, LeeAnnB, LAhiker and 5 others like this.
  13. putnam6

That's the most likely scenario, which absolutely sucks because we will not likely know for sure unless his body is found.

SouthAussie, Trooper, LeeAnnB and 3 others like this.
  14. CaffienatedOwl

CaffienatedOwl Well-Known Member

While I tend to agree this is a bunch of BS... Can you imagine how easy it would be to have an undercover hiking on the trails with him, watching his every move!?? It gets ya thinking...

15. steeltowngirl

steeltowngirl Well-Known Member

Awesome post @TheGardener Nailed it!

16. prblythe

prblythe Well-Known Member

Sandles float and sometimes backpacks.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
    LeeAnnB, 10ofRods, Mamamerced and 8 others like this.
  17. FindingJoLee

FindingJoLee Well-Known Member

There's probably not a better way to avoid detection for three weeks than to have permanently succumbed to that swamp....doesn't require transpiration or money or someone to resupply your basic needs, just someone to swing by and grab the Mustang. I'm completely mystified about what really has happened -- but being in next realm strikes me as a top-tier hiding place.

18. jamicat

I agree. The searches of Carlton have been brutal and miserable. Not a place you’d just leave someone and have to go back in to get. The money charges are sufficient to hold him for a while until they can get the homicide case ready. No statute of limitations for murder. And they have him cold regarding ATM use

Trooper, LeeAnnB, lastkiss and 7 others like this.
  19. putnam6

Thanks for this I missed this post, its an interesting point of view not sure Brian and his family are that diabolical though. Again all those 911 calls this wasn't a happy and unified household.

PS

Sorry I had an edit changed this from spot on to some of this I'm not so sure.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
    Trooper, LAhiker, Thora_Jay and 2 others like this.
  20. Jurisprudence

Jurisprudence Well-Known Member

Yeah, I take that to mean they finished there and they have moved on to other locations but we just don't know where. MOO. Maybe local news will break something in the coming days. MOO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.