Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #57

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure but we all know who gets murdered by their partners way more.

I agree. Men are generally so much stronger. Another reason neither should be lifting their hands to each other. Emotions can get out of control. Though from what I have read, sometimes women kill men with poison or other less obvious methods....I have been watching too many Datelines, and real crimes shows for sure.

MOO
Or, much less likely, that she did resort to finally walking out on one argument and leaving him with the van and most of her possessions. And he being a heartless jerk, just drove off and left her.
The only issue with this for me is they declared Gabby’s death a homicide. If someone had just left her on the side of the road, I’m not sure how a coroner would determine that to be a homicide in such a quick timeframe. And I’m not sure how she would end up dead rather than just walk to another campsite. JMO.

MOO

I don't agree that emotional abuse is worse than physical abuse. And if it was ever made illegal it would probably harm more women than men, because women emotionally abuse other women and men quite frequently. But I do agree that BL was probably dismissive and controlling. And that GP was probably physically abusive and controlling. Neither one of them had very many friends and were locked into each other. I see their disagreements usually ending with GP slapping at him and him holding her off and laughing about it. Which would piss her off even more to the point she would just leave and go stay with Rose for a night or two. (I don't think Rose gave lengths of stay information.) But in the van, there was nowhere for her to go to end arguments. And so the arguments never ended. They just kept building on the previous one continuously. And then it ended with her death in the midst of one. Or, much less likely, that she did resort to finally walking out on one argument and leaving him with the van and most of her possessions. And he being a heartless jerk, just drove off and left her.
... so why did he run and not tell someone it's her fault she's dead? He'd be in the clear then...

I believe that came out from the latest Dr. Phil interview with Gabby’s parents. I didn’t read the OP but I just saw your question. No, LE hasn’t said that. However, her parents did. IIRC they straight up said he used her debit card.
ETA: by “stolen” I would say he took them without her consent & used them which is what he’s charged for by unauthorized use of access devices. I just wanted to be clear that no one has ever had the word “stolen.” It’s always been he took her debit card or something to that effect.

**it's use of an unauthorized access device (not "unauthorized use..."). "Unauthorized" in the statute includes lost, stolen, expired, canceled, obtained, etc. In other words, an access device not authorized for use by the person who used it (e.g., could be the owner if they canceled it then used it to try to exploit the time ("intent to defraud") between cancelation and use). 18 USC 1029(a) (and (e) for definitions).

LE didn't say whose cards, though at least a portion of the device number was, iirc, included in the warrant. The P/S family may well have the full account info, and transaction information on the account (from her account or from LE). I assume they had enough info to be comfortable stating publicly that the access devices were hers.

Thanks for your reply. The word "stolen" was used in the previous post I was replying to.

Do we now take any family statements made (either by the Laundries or the Petito/Schultz) as confirmed, verified facts, or are their statements considered opinion only?

I'm just wondering where the line is drawn, because we can't really be selective about that kind of thing, ie; 'the Laundries make a statement or comment but it must be a lie, because they're the bad guys', and 'the Petitos/Schultz family make a statement which must be true, because they're the good guys'.

I'm obviously playing devil's advocate here, but I think it's an important distinction to make, because the TOS are very strict on WS in terms of stating something as fact without a link to verify, otherwise we have to state that something is our opinion only, I believe.

MOO
Part 2 of the Dr Phil interview was widely shared here in the past few days.

When MSM produces news, it's up to them to verify it.
They are responsible for presenting a factual account.
They are not obliged to name their sources.
That's just how they roll....

i understand that...i'm simply trying to find out why the source mentioned in the article is apparently assumed to be law enforcement...i find it odd that they would cite a "source close to the family", if it was actually a member of law enforcement...i'm just trying to understand.

we never know where these storms are actually going to end up !
They are very unpredictable!
Camping is not something ya do!

Except I lived through Laura last year and all my family got hit by Ida. Ida was originally supposed to hit western Texas, then Eastern Texas, then bullseye for Southwest LA, where everyone suffers from PTSD and FREAKED out (including me, we were all glued to this particular storms track). It went to eastern LA and was never projected to go anywhere near to Florida at all. In fact the meteorologists all preached about some upper level high or low or something that was keeping it from Florida and that the MS/LA state line was unlikely but the absolutely furtherest East it could possibly go. Yes storms are unpredictable but this one was nailed days in advance.

I’ll be back in about 3 minutes with links to this.
ETA—I’m going to point you towards Meterologist Zach Fradella (from New Orleans—he routinely covers all of South Louisiana and does it well) and the US National Weather Service in Lake Charles. If you look at both Facebook pages, their posts start around August 23-24 and clearly tell the tale. Also Tropical Tidbits page, Levi Cowan, is a hurricane expert as well. All three are excellent sources. IMO the only way Ida even slightly affected that family any is it prevented BL from taking the southern route home, since most of S La along 10 was out of power, gas and food. I am the source on this as I had to drive food over to my family until their stores got back up and running and it took at least a week. My last trip over for food was Labor Day—September 6.

ETA Again: I’m sorry, this isn’t about your post specifically, but all the posts regarding IDA that keep coming up.

Last edited:
i understand that...i'm simply trying to find out why the source mentioned in the article is apparently assumed to be law enforcement...i find it odd that they would cite a "source close to the family", if it was actually a member of law enforcement...i'm just trying to understand.
well, the statement was made by Chris cuomo in a tweet which I've already linked twice this afternoon. Best to ask him directly, I would say. That's what I always do, at any rate.

It doesn't fit all nice neat and tidy does it? this bothers me too.

It could be he was going to hitch rides home! Maybe he left her!
Then he.goes back! Why? Did she call.him.or.text him to return!
I think its.possible she was in that.van alone when that videonwas.made!
Sure hope we.find out!

With you 100%, but I guess my thing is the time that passed from when it's believed she was killed to the time she was found. It's possible they do have witness statements and someone did see/hear something. I'm just surprised there's been no peep of anything on social media.

Perhaps- time will tell. But IMO, given how much attention this case has gotten, and the fact that the van video was circulated wide and far and seems to be the key turning point in locating her... I'm just not convinced there's much more out there in terms of what fellow campers could contribute. And unfortunately these camp sites are all first come first served, so LE will be at the mercy of witnesses coming forward or similar. Ie, they can't really reach out to a list of campers to see if anything stands out in retrospect now that they know what happened.

Plus, LE knows what happened to Gabby and we don't. Given they haven't really asked anyone there to come forward since the van video or finding her body, so IMO, I'm not sure they expect much more helpful information to come out from other campers.

MOO.

Assuming he is on the run, its going to get old real quick. BL is only 23 years old. What kind of life will he live being on the run for years on end, always looking over his shoulder? It might seem glamorous for a few months, at most. And let's assume his family is financially supporting him or helping him with lodging or supplies - that isn't going to be any fun for them either.

Here is a really good piece by NPR - you can listen or read it - it features an interview with an FBI agent about cases of people who were on the run for years, and callers who call in who share their stories of living on the run. After reading it, I am more inclined to think BL could easily be on the run for years. Doesn't mean he will be happy though. What's It's Like To Live On The Lam

That former "NY drug kingpin"-turned publisher guy mentioned the other day gave his personal take on it while urging BL to turn himself in, in part for that very reason.

Part 2 of the Dr Phil interview was widely shared here in the past few days.

So, to reiterate what I said earlier then, if we are going to assume - for the sake of argument - that everything said in that interview is a FACT, then we should - in the interest of fairness - assume that everything the Laundries and their lawyer has said is fact.

Right!? Or is that not OK to do that?

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
There’s a well known saying in the legal world - “reasonable minds may differ”.

Two people, presented with the identical facts, are going to have different interpretations, and may reach different conclusions. We are all individuals, with varied backgrounds and life experiences. We’re going to make different assumptions based on what we’ve seen in our lifetimes and what we think we would do in a particular situation.

Example:

a fact: BL’s parents canceled the first camping trip.

Now, it’s perfectly reasonable to draw the conclusion that BL’s parents must have known he was coming home, and that’s why they canceled.

But… its’s just as reasonable to draw the conclusion that they canceled because of the weather. Hurricane or tropical depression or whatever you want to call it - the weather wasn’t nice during those few days. They weren’t going off in a nice, spacious RV - to some distant location, involving months of planning. They had a small popup. They were going to a coastal location. If this was me - I absolutely would have canceled - while certain others may have kept the reservation.

Both are completely reasonable and logical reasons for canceling, based on the information we actually have. But some people brush this off as inconsequential - while to others, it’s iron-clad evidence that the parents were complicit.

I honestly enjoy reading how people interpret the few facts we actually have - I get totally different perspectives that I may not have already considered. I definitely form my own opinions, but regardless of what I think happened, I *always* try to keep an open mind.

there seems to be so much bickering - people trying to convince others that their own interpretation is correct, or putting others down for the conclusions they’ve reached. I understand this is an emotionally charged situation, but I think it would really help the discussion if we could keep it positive - and if we could all be open to different perspectives. It would also cut down on the pace of the thread, and make it more enjoyable to read :)

I live in North Port 5 mins from the Laundries. And u still would cancel a camping trip when there is a hurricane!
U have no idea where it will go or how long it will last! The rain alone floods most places!
Ok, glad you can make that decision. I can only go on what my friends told me who live in the local area.

not a semi-pro blogger here- would GP have used just her phone (or BL's phone) to do photography, editing? Did they have cameras? a PC, laptop or tablet? Seems to me that trying to edit and upload and alter photos and videos on a phone would have been difficult. If there was equipment, does LE have it?

Also, does anyone think that traveling this summer, with the fires and closures would have caused a lot of discomfort and difficulties? I know that there has been discussion about the water, but to set off and to try to keep finding camp sites and getting water and food "on the run," while simultaneously doing hair and make up and filming, sounds hard. I am assuming no refrigeration in the little van (?), so food acquisition or eating only those peanut butter crackers would be a daily thing... and getting gas because the 2012 Ford Transit has a 15.8 gal tank and gets about 25 mpg (google). Were GP and BL trying to monetize their blog to pay for itself? Was that the original plan?

As far as a camera, in Gabby's cool video that she made about their adventure, there's that section showing her image in the passenger side mirror with a 35mm camera held up to her face as if she's taking pictures of what is out in the distance.

God this case is so sad. Utterly heartbreaking beyond words.

Last edited:
Can you please provide the link where it says BL has stolen and used Gabby's bank cards. You've stated this as if it is fact, and I don't believe LE have confirmed that it is.

TIA

No problem! Here ya go...

(CNN) — The US District Court of Wyoming has issued a federal arrest warrant for Brian Laundrie, according to the FBI’s Denver field office, after a federal grand jury indicted him for his “use of unauthorized devices” following the death of Gabby Petito.

“While this arrest warrant allows law enforcement to arrest Mr. Laundrie, the FBI and our partners across the country continue to investigate the facts and circumstances of Ms. Petito’s homicide,” FBI Special Agent in Charge Michael Schneider said in a statement posted on Twitter.

According to the indictment, Laundrie used a debit card and PIN number for accounts that did not belong to him for charges over $1,000 between the dates of August 30 and September 1.

Federal arrest warrant issued for Brian Laundrie, FBI says – Boston News, Weather, Sports | WHDH 7News

But wasn't it determined that the physical altercations thought to be initiated by Gabby were caused by (1) him taking her keys, trying to lock her out of her car, and threatening to leave her, and (2) her trying to stop him when the police were trying to pull him over and/or him trying to stop her or push her away.
GP told the Moab police that she hit BL because he told her to shut up and kept asking her to calm down. (Based on the video footage.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288