Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
men are abused also!
My son was!

Yes they are, however lot of us who are familiar with abusers see the signs this man was likely abusive himself.
Speaking from experience, a very chilled out person can be driven mad and to act in ways they wouldn't by someone who is a master abusive manipulator.

This is moo. I think the relationship was toxic but I wouldn't be surprised if it was typical for him and not for her in the past.

Not excusing violence on anyones part.

Yes. Then @ timestamp 21.00, the cop explains what the witness saw, stating " He never saw the male strike the female." then he stated that "She was trying to claw her way back in. She's trying to climb over him, he's trying to disengage. Everything she's saying is the same thing the witness is saying. He never hit her." Then the cop goes on to say "she's the aggressor."
Once again, IMO, this is just sad. It's sad for me to see how distraught Gabby was. You could see it on her face. Having said that, It doesn't matter if you're a 350 lb. linebacker playing for the NFL. If someone is attacking you, clawing at you and hitting you in the face with a cell phone, you have a right to defend yourself, and that's the only thing he did. I don't understand where the "abuse" everyone's taking about comes into play here. Yes, he was trying to lock her out to detach from the situation. If someone's attacking you on your front lawn, and you run in the house and lock the door to escape the situation, is that wrong? Not playing fair? What am I missing?

I agree with this. To look at what we know objectively, he was the one with the marks. We do know his actions are suspicious, however that alone does not make one guilty. In the video she clearly states she hits him. Every other claim of abuse of him on her is just pure speculation.

I'm interested by the fact a man contacted the police about Gabby and Brian's fight. Maybe it's different in the US, but in the UK, we'd be very reluctant to intervene in an argument, especially as it wasn't Gabby being attacked. From what was said it doesn't sound like the worst fight in the world either.

I'm not dismissing it and maybe I'm wrong but would everyone else have contacted the police? I may have gone over and asked if everything is ok, but I don't think I would have contacted the police, especially American police who don't have a reputation for dealing with things calmly. That's obviously a generalisation, no offence is made, but nonetheless, involving US police is a pretty big thing to do.

SEP 17, 2021
‘You never know what you’ve got in a photo’: Witnesses sought in Gabby Petito disappearance case | WFLA
[...]

SB said she spotted the couple’s van on Aug. 25 and contacted police.

“It had the black ladder on the back and the two black rooftops on top—the two bars—and we made the comment that would be the perfect little camper van to go around in,” Baker said.

Investigators are hoping more people come forward with information regarding the case.

“You never know what you’ve got in a photo,” said Teton County Sheriff’s Office Sgt. Clayton Platt. “Low and behold there was a van that matches the description of this van in this case. All those little pieces can be pieces in the puzzle to help us figure out where Gabby is.”

[...]

@JudgeJoe, @oviedo - timeline

SEP 17, 2021
Gabby Petito case: Why isn't Brian Laundrie talking? Legal Analyst breaks down the reasons - ABC13 Houston
[...]

"Good Morning America" anchor Cecilia Vega asked the question on many people's minds, "Why would a lawyer advise their client not to cooperate in a case?"

"Well the most obvious answer would be if there is incriminating information. The lawyer put out a second statement trying to explain that point, that in cases like this, and I'm looking down because I'm reading the statement, he's saying, 'In my experience, intimate partners are often the first person law enforcement officers focus their attention on.' That's true, but it's also true that as of right now she's missing. Meaning as of right now, they want to find her, so you would think that the kind of advice that someone gives is a little bit different. So again, the lawyer's advice will totally depend on what information that lawyer has."

[...]

This stood out in the article posted above by @PommyMommy

"Why would a lawyer advise their client not to cooperate in a case?"

"Well the most obvious answer would be if there is incriminating information
…' That's true, but it's also true that as of right now she's missing. Meaning as of right now, they want to find her, so you would think that the kind of advice that someone gives is a little bit different. So again, the lawyer's advice will totally depend on what information that lawyer has."

And this

George Stephanopoulos asked, "Do you think the lawyer knows?"

"I think the lawyer has a sense," Abrams said. "I think lawyers at the very least have a sense and sometimes they know."

The LE bodycam footage bothers me. The way they talk to her like she is the problem. She's crying and clearly really upset. Brian appears to be smiling through the whole thing. So the cops treat her like some hysterical woman. She explains to them that she just quit her job. She gave up stability to start over with new opportunities. She's stressed out trying to get her new website/blog up, all while the man she loves and is/was engaged to is verbally tearing her down and telling her she wont succeed. She suffers from a disorder that is already stress inducing. It appears that they were already having problems since the engagement was called off. Maybe they went on the trip as a way to reconnect, get material for her blog and it didn't go the way they planned.

Accident or intentional?

Either way, Brian Laundrie's behavior is screaming guilty. You don't return home from a road trip taken with your SO without that SO and driving her car. You don't hide in your house for 10 days without a word. You don't hire a lawyer before a person is even deemed missing unless you KNOW something. You don't avoid speaking to police to clear your name. You try to help find them if you weren't involved. Surely he knows he has gone about this whole thing wrong and is painting himself in to a corner.

I hope for Gabby's sake, Brian decides to cooperate soon. She needs to brought home to her family.

Agree with everything you said.

How do the hikers know it was this specific van, though? There are thousands of people in white vans out there doing the whole "van life" thing right now. I follow several on YouTube, although for some reason, I happen to follow mostly Canadian ones.
Ditto. It's a fascinating lifestyle... but far, far, far from appropriate for most. Petito & Laundrie were not cut from that cloth, IMO. And they were far from prepared for an extended travel event. From what I can tell they had just a single small (300W?) Jackery. No solar. I'd term them more 'car campers' than 'van lifers'. When the so-called van life situation became overwhelming, they really should have cut it short and regrouped. And, yeah, a white converted Transit (or sprinter or promaster) with a ladder/roofrack is far from something unique... espicially in BLM territory.

The LE bodycam footage bothers me. The way they talk to her like she is the problem. She's crying and clearly really upset. Brian appears to be smiling through the whole thing. So the cops treat her like some hysterical woman. She explains to them that she just quit her job. She gave up stability to start over with new opportunities. She's stressed out trying to get her new website/blog up, all while the man she loves and is/was engaged to is verbally tearing her down and telling her she wont succeed. She suffers from a disorder that is already stress inducing. It appears that they were already having problems since the engagement was called off. Maybe they went on the trip as a way to reconnect, get material for her blog and it didn't go the way they planned.

Accident or intentional?

Either way, Brian Laundrie's behavior is screaming guilty. You don't return home from a road trip taken with your SO without that SO and driving her car. You don't hide in your house for 10 days without a word. You don't hire a lawyer before a person is even deemed missing unless you KNOW something. You don't avoid speaking to police to clear your name. You try to help find them if you weren't involved. Surely he knows he has gone about this whole thing wrong and is painting himself in to a corner.

I hope for Gabby's sake, Brian decides to cooperate soon. She needs to brought home to her family.

It is very very very very very very very strange to appear at your parents' house, without your fiancee, more than a month before you were scheduled to appear, and not have them wonder where she is or ask questions. They knew a full 10 days before her mother did that the two had split up or parted ways (presumably that was what he told them), and that Gabby was out there, somewhere. Unless he flat out told them something incriminating, presumably, they heard some sort of explanation from him, saying that they broke up and she was staying with a friend, or they broke up and she was returning separately (or something). There is no way that they didn't ask where she was.

I'm speculating, but knowing how most people behave, I just think that her mother must have first tried Brian's phone to see if she could reach her daughter, in case her daughter's phone wasn't working. Getting no answer, it seems like there is no way that her mother didn't call his parents to ask about the two, as in, "I haven't heard from them in ten days, have you? I'm starting to get a little worried."

By the time her mother called (I speculate that she called) his parents, he would already have been home. They probably didn't know yet that her mother was totally in the dark about the split. Unless he told them he was in trouble... don't you think they would have taken the call and acted surprised that her mother had no idea where she was? And then at least told her the story that he told them? I am just grasping to try to understand why they didn't tell her something, even just passing on some story that they heard from their son.

So when her mother called, presumably before she suspected anything, inquiring about whether they had heard from "the kids," you would think they would have said, "Brian came home early, he said that Gabby had decided to stay with her friend in xyz, you haven't heard from her???" Since they didn't do that, it just seems like Brian told them something that made them want to protect him, and they had already decided to stonewall by the time her parents came a-calling. That, or they were shocked to get a voicemail suggesting that Gabby hadn't been heard from, and before calling her back decided to ask their son. Hearing some sort of nonsense from him, or maybe even a confession, they decided at that point that he needed to be protected.

A bunch of rambling thoughts, but I guess I can sum them up by saying,
a) It seems like her parents must have called him
b) It seems like her parents must have called his parents
c) It seems like her parents calling probably tipped them off that things weren't adding up
d) It seems like at some point they determined that their son was in big, big trouble, which is why they never ever cooperated with her parents.

How do the hikers know it was this specific van, though? There are thousands of people in white vans out there doing the whole "van life" thing right now. I follow several on YouTube, although for some reason, I happen to follow mostly Canadian ones.

They don't, but in the absence of any help from Brian, it's at least something. It's definitely worth checking out.

One thing I don’t really get is why police don’t search the home, not for a potential crime but just as a basic first step in a missing person case, to make sure she’s not dead, hiding or injured inside her home - why take the Laundrie family’s word? In fact, it’s not even the family’s word, as they refuse to say whether she is there or not.

I clearly don’t think she’s there, but when the last vehicle someone was seen traveling in - a vehicle that they own, no less - ends up at the house where they live, and the other people living there refuse to say if she is on the property or not, I can’t see why it’s a case of needing a warrant. It’s a basic check on her whereabouts and welfare.

I'm interested by the fact a man contacted the police about Gabby and Brian's fight. Maybe it's different in the US, but in the UK, we'd be very reluctant to intervene in an argument, especially as it wasn't Gabby being attacked. From what was said it doesn't sound like the worst fight in the world either.

I'm not dismissing it and maybe I'm wrong but would everyone else have contacted the police? I may have gone over and asked if everything is ok, but I don't think I would have contacted the police, especially American police who don't have a reputation for dealing with things calmly. That's obviously a generalisation, no offence is made, but nonetheless, involving US police is a pretty big thing to do.

Not really. Police are called for all sorts of mundane things. Lost pet, ran out of gas etc. Plus you do not want to go over and intervene in a DV situation.

Forgive me if I've missed it, but can we can a definitive timeline?

Ditto. It's a fascinating lifestyle... but far, far, far from appropriate for most. Petito & Laundrie were not cut from that cloth, IMO. And they were far from prepared for an extended travel event. From what I can tell they had just a single small (300W?) Jackery. No solar. I'd term them more 'car campers' than 'van lifers'. When the so-called van life situation became overwhelming, they really should have cut it short and regrouped.

I have a friend (couple) that is doing this and they are cruising around in a decked out $200K sprinter with no financial worries. He says it can still be a bit rough, at times.

To those that are unaware of the term "Reactive Abuse", cited from the website www.breakthesilencedv.org. below.

I think all law enforcement, courts, attorneys, etc. need a complete overhaul with education and training on DV. Coercive control, emotional abuse, etc. Seems there are way too many cases lately that involve some sort of abuse and not enough education.

"Reactive abuse occurs when the victim reacts to the abuse they are experiencing. The victim may scream, toss out insults, or even lash out physically at the abuser. The abuser then retaliates by telling the victim that they are, in fact, the abuser".

A lawyer is going to tell his/her client not to talk to the police because that is good advice, always. Sometimes a client wants to speak, thinks they can speak without creating problems for themselves, or just thinks themselves smarter than their lawyer. I gather that BL is not particularly trusting of government/media/authorities judging by the limited postings I've seen (i.e. his bio in Insta, etc), so I can imagine he'd be disinclined to help them.

However, there are really only 2 reasons he would say nothing: to cover for himself or to cover for her (which, in the latter case, is still him covering for himself given their relationship).

One thing I don’t really get is why police don’t search the home, not for a potential crime but just as a basic first step in a missing person case, to make sure she’s not dead, hiding or injured inside her home - why take the Laundrie family’s word? In fact, it’s not even the family’s word, as they refuse to say whether she is there or not.

I clearly don’t think she’s there, but when the last vehicle someone was seen traveling in - a vehicle that they own, no less - ends up at the house where they live, and the other people living there refuse to say if she is on the property or not, I can’t see why it’s a case of needing a warrant. It’s a basic check on her welfare.

Basic welfare check still depends on access to the property. If the owner/renter denies access there needs to be some other evidence. Otherwise a warrant is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks