Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some random unorganized thoughts...MOO

* It's a view into their dysfunction but I think we shouldn't read too much into the specifics of the he-said/she-said of the police encounter. Don't get lost in the trees. Focus on the forest. They had an openly and publicly volatile relationship to the point that complete strangers felt compelled to call 911 and involve the cops just days before she went missing. That's the main thing.

* I could be wrong, but I also think people are focusing too much on the Yosemite thing. It's a common mix-up. It doesn't mean the text couldn't have been sent by BL but the typo (if it exists) isn't an indication of anything in either direction.

* You have the right to remain silent. But the public and investigators have the right to question how someone could "hope that the search for Miss Petito is successful" (from his lawyer's first statement) while also refusing to even provide the time and/or date and/or location of their last interaction. Those are diametrically opposed. If you hoped for the search to be successful, you'd provide every piece of information possible.

* That six day visit home still bugs me. Was he actually in Florida? Was he plotting? Nobody spends $200 minimum on a flight and $500 for your girlfriend's hotel in Utah to clean out a storage unit instead of waiting the two months until your road trip ends. Hard to imagine the unit cost more than $700 for those two remaining months of their road trip. I assume (and hope) FBI/police have been putting together the timeline to the minute with cell data and CCTV. The police could be tapping his phone with a warrant.

* I still haven't seen anything that actually confirms BL is at his parents' house. That's where the media's camped out but we really don't know. The chief of police down there says they know where he is. Could they just be waiting for him to come out to arrest him to avoid any sort of confrontation? Hopefully he's not out of the country.

* They talk about "van life," which is generally used by people who live the lifestyle full-time. Were they planning on trying to make this a full-time arrangement or was the four month road trip going to be it? They spent some coin on the van and conversion (I assume) so it seems like a longer term investment.

This was all well said. Very good points. And good reminders to stay on task. Thank you!

Yes. the officer did say he's let her get back to her parents when she was on the phone.

I don't think she was talking to them though. As soon as the officer opened the door, she turned off her phone. Didn't say goodbye or anything. I assume she was either pretending to talk to someone or she just didn't get through.

If BL had left her abandoned and taken off, it does not make any sense why he would not be assisting the Police. If he had done nothing wrong, he would surely have had no problem in speaking to them. The silence speaks volumes.
The text saying no service at Yosemite - if someone was typing that text and doing it in a hurry/anxious and they pressed the wrong letters, could predictive text played a part? The couple who were murdered, were they camping? Did Gabby say to the Policeman that they had been camping? Is there a chance that he/they could be connected to the murder?

I have 2 questions:

1. One of the users, (I think @TheGardener? ) in the previous thread said that BL seems to be a totally terrified person. I never want to judge anything before the truth is out. But the only confusion I have is BL came to Florida on the 17th -23rd. If he was totally terrified by GP, he could have just stayed in Florida? Why return?

2. There is this one thing that GP's father bought pizza through uber eats while she was staying at the hotel. When did she stay in the hotel? I thought she was in the van and he was in the hotel for that night. Or was it some other day. Sorry if this was already discussed. Can't keep up with this thread.

That six day visit home still bugs me. Was he actually in Florida? Was he plotting? Nobody spends $200 minimum on a flight and $500 for your girlfriend's hotel in Utah to clean out a storage unit instead of waiting the two months until your road trip ends.

YES!! THIS!!
This part of the case needs to be majorly looked at by LE and majorly discussed by us.

This going home to FL and leaving her at a hotel in Salt Lake City, Utah, just does not make any sense whatsoever!

<snipped by me to address this part> That particular insensitive bullying on top of the difference between the average baseline vulnerability women feel vs what men feel when alone in a strange environment due to differences in the physical capabilities to protect oneself, and more lurid and unwanted past attention most women have experienced throughout their lives.

In a nutshell, what the world is currently trying to call attention to.

You could not be more correct IMO. Women are nearly always the more vulnerable party in most situations involving arguments, fights, traveling, etc. because of their gender. We grow up knowing this. Women grow up knowing that men are the stronger ones, and in some situations the ones to be afraid of. I would guess some of Gabby's crying was not sadness or being upset, but fear. Women do go through life with more fear than men do for a lot of reasons. The world is still not a safe place for women. Women know this. That's why it bothers me so much that those cops made such a big deal about some fingernail scratches on BL and not on the climate of fear he had created that had Gabby in such a state of fear and anxiety.

What day did they talk to that guy who Brian gave an “extra” skateboard to?

Gabby Petito case: Timeline of 22-year-old woman's disappearance

9/16/21

Here’s a timeline of Gabby Petito’s disappearance:

June-July 2021
The couple embarks on their cross-country trip, first driving from Florida to New York and later to the West Coast and western national parks. They were traveling in Petito’s converted camper van, a white 2012 Ford Transit van with a Florida license plate, and documenting their journey on YouTube and other social media platforms.

July 2021
The couple posts regular updates about their journey to their Instagram accounts.

On July 10, Petito shared a photo of her at the Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve is in southern Colorado.

On July 16, she shared another set of pictures of her at Zion National Park in southwest Utah. "The past two nights camping in Zion have been so cool, literally," she wrote in part.

On July 26, Petito shared another photo of her lounging in an outdoor bathtub at Mystic Hot Springs in Utah.

August 12
The pair gets into some type of altercation near Moab, Utah. A witness called police reporting a possible domestic violence situation between the two, prompting a response by area police.

[..]

That same day, Petito posts an Instagram showing images of her visit to Arches National Park, also in Moab, Utah.

"We decided to take the path less traveled on the other side of the arch," she wrote in part in the caption.

August 19
A video uploaded to YouTube on Aug. 19 titled "VAN LIFE | Beginning Our Van Life Journey" highlights the couple’s travels in their converted camper van. The 8-minute video, on their channel called "Nomadic Statik," shows the pair in various locations on the California coast, driving through the salt flats in Utah, tent camping and cooking meals in their converted camper van.

End of August
Petito’s regular contact with her family stops toward the end of August, according to police.

August 25
Nicole Schmidt, Petito's mother, speaks to her daughter for the last time on the phone. Petito said they had stopped in Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming before a planned trip to Yellowstone.

"I don't know if she left Grand Teton or not," Schmidt later FOX News. "I did receive a text from her on the 27th and the 30th, but I don't know if it was technically her or not, because it was just a text. I didn't verbally speak to her."

Petito’s final Instagram post is also published on Aug. 25, featuring several photos of her standing in front of a mural wall.

Sept. 1
Laundrie returns home alone to North Port, Florida with the van — 10 days before Petito was reported missing by her family, according to the North Port Police Department.

Sept. 11
Petito’s family reports the 22-year-old missing to the Suffolk County Police Department in New York at approximately 6:55 p.m. The North Port (Florida) Police Department has since become the lead agency in the case.

Laundrie declines to speak with investigators, who are instead provided with information for the family’s attorney. The couple’s converted camper van is also recovered by North Port police at the home shared by Petito, Laundrie and Laundrie’s parents, authorities said.

[..]

Sept. 13
Petito’s mother, Nicole Schmidt, and stepfather hold a tearful press conference begging for the public’s help in finding the 22-year-old.

[..]

Sept. 14
The Laundrie family shares a statement through their attorney:

[..]

The FBI also processes the converted camper van, according to North Port police.

Sept. 15
Brian Laundrie is named "person of interest" in the case. "As of now, Brian has not made himself available to be interviewed by investigators or has provided any helpful details," North Port police said in a statement.

Petito’s family releases a new statement through their lawyer:

[..]

Sept. 16
The body camera video from the couple’s encounter with Utah police is officially released. Laundrie’s attorney declines to comment in an email to FOX 13 News.

In a news conference, officials say the investigation remains a missing person case — and not a murder investigation — and that no intensive searches have begun because it's unclear exactly where authorities might look.

It’s clearly untrue that BL intended to both take separate walks when witness accounts report he was in the drivers side of the vehicle and she climbed through the window and over him to get to the passengers seat.

You don’t hang her book bag on the back of the van (so he was outside of the van) lock up the car and get in the drivers seat if you are intending to go for a walk to cool off. He’s downplaying his own actions at best. Lying at worst.

I see what you're saying but based upon Christopher, the witness who called 911, I think it went down like this:

I'm not saying that her perception of what she may have thought he was going to do didn't equate to her reaction.What I am saying is he never had plans on leaving her. They were both going to walk in different directions to cool down, and then reunite in the van. She became aggressive, and he wanted to distance himself from the situation so he got in the van and started locking the doors so he wouldn't be hit.
But for the fact that she starting hitting him, he would have never went back to the van, and she would have not mistakenly thought he was going to drive off.
I'm nor sure where "insensitive bullying" comes into play here seeing @timestamp 10.35 the cop asks if he's normally patient with her, and she states "yes."

I'd also like to add that there have been several posts comparing BL to the exes of posters who have accused him of being an abuser. They have followed with making the point about being victims of abuse and how that helps them know BL is an abuser. Well, I, too, have been the victim of abuse (as a child and then ten years with a full blown narc) but refuse to project my own personal experiences and emotions on a case and a relationship we don't know enough about. His "crime", AFAIC, is not talking but it doesn't mean he's been abusing her for two years. I try to stick with the facts we have and none of them indicate an abusive relationship prior to her going missing. That doesn't mean he couldn't have done something horrible which has resulted in her disappearance.

Something occurred to, last thought tonight. The most gracious explanation I have to explain Brian’s silence:

He believes Gabby is alive, will re-emerge and is waiting to see how she will explain her absence, wanting to tailor his response to her version of events. While this is not too flattering to either of them (and seems improbable) if this scenario is true we all win.

I desperately hope she is alive and well.

That was a thought of mine too. My other theory is that she is doing some social media detox or some OCD/Anxiety treatment in the woods. She did say she would have no cell phone service (although that might not have been her) so she might emerge in the next few days. Ya never know.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 2 questions:

1. One of the users, (I think @TheGardener? ) in the previous thread said that BL seems to be a totally terrified person. I never want to judge anything before the truth is out. But the only confusion I have is BL came to Florida on the 17th -23rd. If he was totally terrified by GP, he could have just stayed in Florida? Why return?

2. There is this one thing that GP's father bought pizza through uber eats while she was staying at the hotel. When did she stay in the hotel? I thought she was in the van and he was in the hotel for that night. Or was it some other day. Sorry if this

Re: Q 2: He sent pizza to her in a Salt Lake City Hotel while Brian was in Florida, which was about five days (. She couldn't access social media at that point.

Something occurred to me, last thought tonight. The most gracious explanation I have to explain Brian’s silence:

He believes Gabby is alive, will re-emerge and is waiting to see how she will explain her absence, wanting to tailor his response to her version of events. While this is not too flattering to either of them (and seems improbable) if this scenario is true we all win.

I desperately hope she is alive and well.

edited to correct typo

Very gracious indeed. I tip my hat to you for allowing a moment of hope. Goodnight.

YES!! THIS!!
This part of the case needs to be majorly looked at by LE and majorly discussed by us.

This going home to FL and leaving her at a hotel in Salt Lake City, Utah, just does not make any sense whatsoever!

I took it as the time after the fight when they wanted some time apart. I imagine it was a hotel for her or fly her to NY while he flew to Florida. This might have been the cheaper or simply way she preferred.

I have 2 questions:

2. There is this one thing that GP's father bought pizza through uber eats while she was staying at the hotel. When did she stay in the hotel? I thought she was in the van and he was in the hotel for that night. Or was it some other day. Sorry if this was already discussed. Can't keep up with this thread.

The dad ordered her uber eats when BL was supposedly in FL (8/17-8/23) I believe on the 21st-23rd can’t remember exact date. She was staying at a hotel in SLC in his absence and she said the power was out so he ordered food to be delivered. Separate from the 8/12 incident.

What day did they talk to that guy who Brian gave an “extra” skateboard to?
Jaye Foster, an Alabaman who is traveling the U.S. in his own customized Volkswagen bus, met Gabby and Laundrie near Moab, Utah, on Aug. 10. The three of them chatted for about 40 minutes, discussing the modifications they had made to their vans….When Laundrie asked Foster if he’d like to have a skateboard he no longer needed, Foster eagerly accepted.
This ‘Van-Life’ Couple Went on a Cross-Country Trip Out West. Only He Came Back.

Yes, she would seem to be the victim based on something which has happened since the police encounter on August the 12th. However, with all my compassion for her and the state she was in on August the 12th, she was not the victim on that day.

That's a weird determination to make from a one-hour police video where BL is handled with kid gloves and treated like a Bro by the cops. None of us were there to witness BL's behavior during their fight. We don't know the actual reason Gabby was so upset she could barely speak. She was also acting frightened, more than angry. Upset more than mad. Their fight could have been so much worse and nasty than they let on to the police. We don't know how bad it was, but from Gabby's reaction, she bore the brunt of it. Since abuse can be emotional as well as physical, and emotional abuse can be even more devastating, even leading to PTSD (in my case) my money is on Gabby being the victim that day, as well as the day he left her. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anniegirl401