Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #62

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by PommyMommy, Sep 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meatandcookies

meatandcookies Well-Known Member

Yes, manual strangulation can be with any body part (knee, for example) or any object (like a 2x4) that is held by the hands but isn’t a ligature/scarf/rope that would be wrapped around the neck, or something that would asphyxiate (like a pillow).
    The important word in this report is “throttling,” which indicates hands were used directly on the neck.
    MOO
    ETA: Strangulation - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    ingra1327, DeDee, carbuff and 12 others like this.

2. kittythehare

kittythehare Well-Known Member

I imagine they were making a graphic.
    (to put a picture together of signs of progression if relevant, other pieces of evidence they had found?)

3. WellThen

WellThen Well-Known Member

in conjucntion with bank card records...will paint in a lot of details.

dacjess, OceanElix, LietKynes and 2 others like this.
  4. whiterhino

whiterhino Well-Known Member

Not even assuming GP would. In fact, I would assume that even if BL had stopped or let go of her throat, GP still probably would not have charged him.

IMHO the bodycam footage indicates that GP was an extremely passive person who was unlikely to blame BL for anything which is common in DV.

As someone who has experienced DV I agree, it's very under reported. Where I live, as soon as LE are involved, the option to press charges is out of the hands of the victim. The only way out at that point is if the victim says they were lying which can in turn, result in charges against the DV victim.

BL must have been quite vicious and done quite a bit of damage. Maybe the kind where he had no choice but to continue pressing on her? Either that or risk GP charging him with attempted murder.

5. steeltowngirl

steeltowngirl Well-Known Member

The Laundries only did the right thing - if the right thing was protecting themselves and BL. They did nothing right on behalf of the Petito family or Gabby.

As the saying goes, “the world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”

6. PrairieWind

PrairieWind Verified Attorney

Since the body was found in the National Forest, the case COULD be prosecuted by the US Attorneys office, but it doesn't have to be. It could still be prosecuted by the Teton County Attorney's office. I am sure the county would prefer the Feds take it, but we will see. There are some questions about where the murder occurred vs just where the body was found.

7. CharlestonGal

CharlestonGal Well-Known Member

It might be an American thing, but "manual strangulation/throttling" is understood to be using your hands to encircle the neck of another person and choking them.

"Manual strangulation, also known as throttling, is a type of asphyxial death where the perpetrator uses his hand to encircle and compress the front and side of the neck. It is a common method of homicide, most often encountered when the physical size and strength of the assailant exceeds that of the victim."

Homicide by a combination of three different asphyxial methods - ScienceDirect

*Warning: Graphic photos at link.

DeDee, Jennihenny, esayer and 11 others like this.
  8. SouthAussie

SouthAussie Well-Known Member

Yes, it is a bit disturbing that there is a one week window for Gabby's murder. I had hoped that entimology would be able to pin it down a bit more precisely.

9. SuperTmo

SuperTmo Well-Known Member

How do we know dogs didn’t hit in the van?

La Louve, DeDee, carbuff and 7 others like this.
  10. Loveallmyhorsesdogsandcats

Loveallmyhorsesdogsandcats Well-Known Member

unfortunately this is only one of many deaths around the country of people who are involved with domestic violence, and it's unfortunate that these other deaths did not get as much coverage as this one," Blue said.

Yes, he directly compares her death/puts in the same category as others in relationships that involve domestic violence and their death is by their domestic partner. MOO

11. Newsjunkiejen

Newsjunkiejen Former Member

I believe that manual strangulation means that no additional piece of equipment was used such as a tool, piece of clothing, ligature etc.

The strangulation was literally done 'manually' without the assistance of any other means but doesn't necessarily denote hands only. It could be a choke hold etc.

To me, 'throttling' is what indicates that hands were used.

This is JMO

putnam6, ThoughtFox, dacjess and 2 others like this.
  12. dtowndetective411

dtowndetective411 Well-Known Member

13. SouthAussie

SouthAussie Well-Known Member

The reason I think it may or may not be the hands that were solely used, is because the Encyclopedia of Forensic Sciences says any part of the perp's body can be used to manually strangle someone.

And because the Coroner would not confirm if an "item" was used in the strangulation. Surely he could have just said "no" when he was asked.

14. ShadyLady

ShadyLady Well-Known Member

At this point they might be holding back a lot of information. I dont mind if it leads to a conviction and not another Baez circus.

15. Nudgee

Nudgee FLY EAGLES FLY.....

Thank You SO MUCH.....this definitely makes it easier for me to wrap my head around the area! Thanks Again.

16. jamicat

jamicat Well-Known Member

I was of that mind too initially. Horrified that they didn’t let Gabby’s family know that BL and van were in Fl. But now with all this info released, it wouldn’t have made much difference. They had no good news to report. You think her family would have felt better if they knew earlier and said , “oh, appears our son strangled her and left her in the Tetons”? No, it would not.

This was a no win situation. That Gabby is dead is the tragedy snd the pain to her family.

Right now, getting BL into custody is what’s important. See what the case is against him snd proceed

kotis, steeltowngirl and SouthAussie like this.
  17. blue22

blue22 Well-Known Member

It's bizarre and remarkably insensitive to the victim to bring it up at this stage. Honestly, it just feels unnecessarily contrary. Not to mention arbitrary and sympathetic to the person NOT the victim. It's ridiculous.

IMO

18. putnam6

putnam6 Same as it ever was...

700 feet if I recall correctly

Newsjunkiejen likes this.
  19. esayer

esayer Well-Known Member

Why do people have to qualify every comment with 'well women do it too'...OK...we are talking about a man for one...we are talking about abusive men...we are not talking about all men. And far more women than men are victims...and when men are victims, it's usually from other men.

20. Bekind89

Bekind89 Well-Known Member

I have a feeling phones will provide a great of info about his locations during that time. I sure hope so. Jmo

Luna20, moonshell, TL4S and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.