Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #68

Status
Not open for further replies.
What exactly are they "protesting? Does anyone know? Do they know? How about protesting at the police department. As Loathsome as the parents are to people, they have a right to live on their property peacefully and to not be harassed and intimidated by perpetual protesters and all their paraphernalia . They shouldn't have to hide or move. I don't like them, but I recognize their rights. jmo

I would guess the parent's despicable (IMO) behavior, and the (seeming) failures of LE to catch this guy. But I don't know.

Why do you think Gabby’s parents would’ve presumed her and B were at the Laudrie residence at that time?

That’s a great question! I think Gabby’s parents must have thought something awful had happened to the entire Laundrie family if not one of them was returning their messages. I can imagine how panicked Gabby’s parents were feeling by this time; not only were they not able to reach Gabby, but also not Brian, Chris, Roberta or Cassie. It would make sense that they would begin with a wellness check at the Laundrie’s address under the circumstance of getting no response from any of them. For starters, I might have been imagining them all dead from a carbon monoxide leak or something similar if I had been put in the position of Gabby’s parents. So many ideas would have been bouncing around in my mind as to what happened to them all and if the kids went back to deal with it, and so on. (moo).

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the short video. It just seems odd to me that the police have a missing person and they locate HER CAR at the boyfriend’s parents’ house and don’t insist on seeing the boyfriend.
It seems logical to me that LE would have asked the 'door-answering-Laundrie' (who refused to produce their son) who the owners were of the three vehicles in their driveway. Next logical step should have been, upon establishing that the van belonged to Gabby, a high suspicion that if her vehicle was there and she wasn't ~ that she could be in danger. Unless, of course, the Laundry family could explain why/how it was there and she wasn't. Shouldn't this have been enough alarm for LE to 'enter the property' and at least set their eyes on Brian. And Brian, himself, could have declared his own representation and unwillingness to talk. And, yes, the great question was asked earlier: What gives the senior Laundries legal authority to speak for their son in matters of who he wants to represent him?
What immediate things should LE have done next? We're their hands still tied by legalities of any sort that prevented them from moving swiftly to establish immediate answers? Especially in light of the facts that should have really escalated their concern for Gabby's true safety!
Were Gabby and her family, once again, at the hands of LE's ineptness? I really feel sad that Gabby and family were let down by so many. The Laundrie family intentionally ignored them for self preservation and LE failed them with ineptness on many occasions. And yet they stand strong, proud, and grateful to those who did help. Class act!

Joseph Petito, Gabby’s father, shared a post back in April 2012 of a woman holding a sign that read: “Guns don’t kill people, fathers with good-looking daughters do!”

Joseph captioned the photo: “Gabby, are you paying attention?”

Her mother, Nichole Schmidt, made a comment reminding Gabby that she had “2 fathers and lots of uncles!!”

Another photo shared from October 2011 featured a t-shirt with the acronym “DADD” or “Daughters Against Daughters Dating”

Underneath the phrase was: “Shoot the first one and spread the word.”

In the comment thread, Gabby wrote: “Nice job dad…ur [sic] gunna scare him…good things its only a shirt,”
Gabby's relationship with ex from sweet messages to her parents scaring him
Really

I was cleaning out a kitchen cabinet and came across a Disney gift card. An earlier post mentioned CL's visit to Disney. It made me wonder how well they can check every nook and cranny of the park at night when they close to be sure all visitor have left the premises? How ironic would it be if BL had been living in the park this whole time!

I appreciate this. Thank you for it!

Shame it didn't shed any light on the condo issue/ whether she worked 50 hrs pweek but hopefully somebody can add details to it, if any come to light.

Also doing it was quite interesting - so many glowing testimonials for her & actually plenty with a good word to say about him.
But as always, doing it just led to more questions - did he prefer it if she worked the same employers as him ( 'We are a team!') with the obvious implications on that...
Did he persuade her to drop the North Point College application? Why didn't he go to college to study design - what happened at school?
( Have to say that in a covid year it makes sense to go travelling , but, many of these decisions predated covid hitting USA in spring 2020)

Unfortunately, all we can do is speculate until North Port releases those documents. If ever.

I agree completely… Luckily as we know levels are used for many things aside from police reports - forest fires, COVID restrictions, terrorist attacks etc. I just found it interesting how some were so high in priority when linked to certain events and regular calls for protesters or patrol checks are low, low, low.
All speculation of course. I’m new to all of this but I live in a world where police reports are not usually released unless they are used in court… I’m not really expecting much at all as far as crumbs of information goes. Certainly not from LE or FBI and in a way I think they are so, so right in keeping most of it to themselves for now. JMO.

I mean, if we think like BL thinks, sure it's a successful outcome, for him, so far. But I don't think it will last. Also, do not forget that SB can be called as a witness in this trial. Once BL is arrested and charged with murder, and indicted, and is behind bars where he belongs (IMO), he will get a public defender for an attorney. And LE will have lots of questions for his parents and SB. MOO.

I didn’t realize SB can be called as a witness. Hopefully that will happen.

Per page 4 of the van warrant: “..the subject’s van, a white Ford Transit, bearing Florida tag QFTG03, was located at her address at 4343 Wabasso Avenue, North Port.” It sounds like that was her address of record. MOO
https://htv-prod-media.s3.amazonaws.com/files/redacted-search-warrant-1632171700.pdf
Good catch. Thanks. Jumping off your comment to post:
“As far as this being a cold case... it's a department by department definition, but across the board, typically people will accept three to five years with absolutely no new leads, no new evidence, no new nothing (until it goes cold), and that is so far from where we are," said Sheryl McCollum, director of the nonprofit Cold Case Investigative Research Institute. "That's not the case here at all."

"Local departments, where they may believe there's been a sighting, they will typically for years have that person at the forefront of their minds," McCollum added.

While active search efforts may not look the same in the coming months or years if Laundrie isn't found, there will likely be investigators assigned to the case that will continue to work on it, according to Belli.
What happens if Brian Laundrie isn't found in the coming weeks :: WRAL.com
Eta:
Gabby Petito’s parents say they trusted Brian Laundrie to ‘take care of her’; ‘Her life was stolen from her’ | Gephardt Daily

[URL="https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10101633/It-felt-safe-Gabby-Petitos-mom-says-trusted-daughter-Brian-Laundrie.html"]'It felt safe': Gabby Petito's mom says she trusted her daughter with Brian Laundrie | Daily Mail Online
[/URL]

Last edited:
Marissa Zdazinsky in front of the Laundrie's.

"I'm here for Gabby, not you"

Yeah course you are Molly :rolleyes:.

North Port police pay visit to protestors outside Brian Laundrie's parents' house | Daily Mail Online

<modsnip>
Anyway, after reading that article, this family can't get any more disgraceful to me. This is MY opinion. Coming out only in the night to rip down posters of a girl who was murdered is certainly NOT improving their image.

From the article:

"A North Port police officer previous said there is 'a lot of oddness' about Laundrie's parents claims and admitted that part of their story 'just didn't make sense'.

Last week, the parents used the cover of darkness to pick up their mail, remove empty white laundry baskets from their lawn and take down a tribute poster to Petito."

Last edited by a moderator:
I would guess the parent's despicable (IMO) behavior, and the (seeming) failures of LE to catch this guy. But I don't know.
But they don't acknowledge their own despicable behavior? It's always the same people or the same type of people who do this. I am all for protesting/petitioning a government entity that has power over people whatever their cause, as long as it's peaceful, weaponless and permitted. But harassing private citizens is a whole different matter. jmo And it is dangerous.

It seems logical to me that LE would have asked the 'door-answering-Laundrie' (who refused to produce their son) who the owners were of the three vehicles in their driveway. Next logical step should have been, upon establishing that the van belonged to Gabby, a high suspicion that if her vehicle was there and she wasn't ~ that she could be in danger. Unless, of course, the Laundry family could explain why/how it was there and she wasn't. Shouldn't this have been enough alarm for LE to 'enter the property' and at least set their eyes on Brian. And Brian, himself, could have declared his own representation and unwillingness to talk. And, yes, the great question was asked earlier: What gives the senior Laundries legal authority to speak for their son in matters of who he wants to represent him?
What immediate things should LE have done next? We're their hands still tied by legalities of any sort that prevented them from moving swiftly to establish immediate answers? Especially in light of the facts that should have really escalated their concern for Gabby's true safety!
Were Gabby and her family, once again, at the hands of LE's ineptness? I really feel sad that Gabby and family were let down by so many. The Laundrie family intentionally ignored them for self preservation and LE failed them with ineptness on many occasions. And yet they stand strong, proud, and grateful to those who did help. Class act!

I think it would have converted a welfare check into a criminal investigation, which would mean they could no longer talk to anyone in the house and needed a warrant based on probable cause to take it any further. jmo

I think you are absolutely correct.
But once LE figured out that it was Gabby's van sitting there at that same house, wouldn't that create a reason to think she might be there?

Would the parked Van be a reason to assume there was an emergency situation occurring in the Laundrie home whereby Gabby’s life was in danger? I don’t think so, considering contact between G and her mother had ceased while she was elsewhere, weeks prior.

What Is A Police Welfare Check?
Legal Considerations
No court order is required for the police to conduct a welfare check. Essentially, as long as they have reasonable grounds to believe that an inhabitant in a residence in endangered, they can legally enter the premises. They typically knock on the door and await a response before announcing their law enforcement affiliation. If they still receive no response, they may enter the property. This is particularly useful when someone inside the house is unconscious or otherwise unable to respond. The ability to enter the property without permission means that emergency aid can be rendered. In some cases, this is a life-saving intervention.

According to BL's parents, he has now been alone in the wilderness for over a month.

Anyone else here watch History Channel's "Alone"? The premise is that survival experts are dropped off alone in a secluded location with only what gear they can carry with them, to see who can last longest at each location without outside assistance.

A few major differences between BL and the "Alone" contestants:
  • Motivation. $500k is a lot of money, but the arrest and trial that BL certainly knows is waiting for him if he's found is probably a greater motivating factor.
  • Food/supplies. While the "Alone" contestants are more restricted in what they can bring, BL may have brought a whole pack full of protein bars, firearms, solar-powered batteries, etc.
  • Outside help. Is BL receiving help from someone? No doubt that would increase the amount of time he'd be able to survive "on his own"
So, on to my observations about how "Alone" contestants handle the first month and beyond and what causes them to "tap out" (and may, at some point, cause BL to slip up or reveal himself as well if he is, indeed, living off the land somewhere on his own)
  • Accidents/injuries - These tend to happen when people are distracted, when they're using their gear improperly, and sometimes just by bad luck. Any sort of cut or burn could easily become infected; even something as small as a twisted ankle could severely hinder your ability to get yourself out of harm's way.
  • Illness - In general, the stress of being in such a survivalist situation would put an incredible strain on your body and its ability to fight off illness, as would the change from your normal diet. Mosquitoes carry all sorts of disease, and in a swampy area, it'd be difficult to remain dry... which brings me to...
  • Fire - Fire is incredibly important to survival -- to stay warm, to stay dry, to cook food, to boil water, to sanitize tools, etc. Twice in various seasons of "Alone," contestants who've lost their fire starter have tapped out, because without fire, wilderness survival is near impossible. And yet keeping a fire would also, in BL's case, be painting a bull's-eye on himself in a place like the Reserve that was closed to the public.
Right around the one-month mark, though, "Alone" becomes less about surviving in the wilderness and more about the mental challenge. Highly motivated contestants start tapping out because they just can't handle the homesickness, the lack of community and social connection in their isolated circumstances, or because the sheer amount of free time with little to do, no one to talk to, and nothing but your own thoughts to ruminate on. Often, contestants experience emotional breakdowns around this time because they just can't handle the solitude. They start examining the deeper questions of why they're there, what they're trying to accomplish, and if it's worth it; they either work through those issues or decide to be done and tap out.

(After that point in the show, for the contestants that can get past that mental hump, it seems a matter of keeping themselves from starvation and exposure, especially as most seasons start in autumn and by the end, they're deep in winter.)

BL, if he is out in the wilderness alone, is now at that one-month mark, and I can't imagine the sort of mental/emotional strain his own thoughts and memories and conscience would be putting him through at this point--24/7, with no one else to talk to or anything else to take his mind off of what he's done--especially if he's struggled with Anxiety in the past.

Because of that, if he is living off the land on his own somewhere, I think he'll slip up, and probably soon, whereas if he's being helped--if he's just sitting in a vacant condo somewhere, living off of DoorDash and escaping into books or movies or video games--I think he'd be able to ward off the stress of isolation significantly better and may not be found yet for some time.

Any idea where "The. Sun" (a tabloid news rag) is getting its information, as opposed to what the police report says? See the report, posted once again, below. The Sun is, as usually, WRONG and just clickbait. I, for one, will appreciate knowing in advance if it's a Sun article, because I intend to ignore them, as they are entirely unreliable.

Nothing in that says that police can go inside the house unless there is probable cause. So if someone answers the door on a welfare check, and says, "Nope, everything is good here," that's the end of it. If the police say, "Well, is John Doe usually living here?" and the answer can be, "Everything is fine here, no further comment" then the welfare check was in error. You can't call in a welfare check for your neighbor's house and inquire about someone who doesn't live there. Even if the residents have a dead body in a bedroom, if they come to the door and say all is well, that's the end of the welfare check.

LE now needs to do something else to get inside - and that's called probable cause. A warrant isn't strictly needed if probable cause is strong (strong odor of decomp, house is on fire).

Police do not get to come in and look for said person. If there's no answer, they'll go round the windows most places - and in many places, they'll then get a locksmith if they have reason to believe the person is injured or dead. If. they need to break down a door, they need more authority than just a neighbor's phone call. Where I live, LE will go to nearby houses while they wait for the watch commander to weigh in and, if necessary, for a warrant (judges are on call 24/7 in my county, but that's not true everywhere).

If police were to knock doors down without warrants on the pretext of a "welfare check" (an extra-legal exercise), they can find themselves unable to use. anything they find as evidence if in fact, there is foul play. Further, people would use welfare checks to harass others (would be less illegal than Swatting, which is a misuse of 911).

Thing is, the Laundries answered the door. Welfare check over.

BBM. It most certainly does say police can enter if no one answers the door. They knock on the door and ask to see the person. In this case, LE did ask to speak to BL and his family and were handed the attorney's business card. Links have been posted.

Here's exactly what my link said:
Legal Considerations
No court order is required for the police to conduct a welfare check. Essentially, as long as they have reasonable grounds to believe that an inhabitant in a residence in endangered, they can legally enter the premises. They typically knock on the door and await a response before announcing their law enforcement affiliation. If they still receive no response, they may enter the property. This is particularly useful when someone inside the house is unconscious or otherwise unable to respond. The ability to enter the property without permission means that emergency aid can be rendered. In some cases, this is a life-saving intervention.

OCT 17, 2021
North Port police pay visit to protestors outside Brian Laundrie's parents' house | Daily Mail Online

49290277-10101343-image-a-7_1634498369913.jpg
49290709-10101343-image-a-9_1634501200393.jpg

Protestors taunting the parents of Brian Laundrie - whose girlfriend was slain during a cross-country road trip - are being warned to keep their distance.

[...]

Marissa Zdazinsky (who goes by Molly Golightly on YouTube) approached the Laundrie family's home twice Sunday to leave pictures of Petito on the family's doorstep.

Police soon arrived to caution her, and instructed other protestors to stop using bullhorns to torment the couple.

[...]

@NuttMegg, remember Molly? Egads...

I'm not a fan of the protesters. However, out of curiosity, what law is NOW being broken that hasn't been with bullhorns in the last couple of weeks? They're not breaking the law. We can't pick and choose when we'd like it to be illegal regardless how obnoxious it may be.

If she's trespassing, she should be charged accordingly. Florida is certainly in the top of a handful of states I wouldn't want to test the owner's Castle Doctrine rights if I'm a protester. She's not from Florida and maybe she's been under a rock for...well...a long time. Obviously, no one has entered the home but it's getting chippy and FL is going to protect the owners on their own property

Last edited:
Look, I'm 100% against the L family and all they stand for or don't stand for , but NO! there was no probable cause to go inside the house without a warrant and wouldn't be able to get a warrant with the current info they had at that time. The L's did not need to explain anything. Declaring "representation" and who declares it is entirely irrelevant. BL did not have to declare anything. Adults are allowed to disappear if they want to. It happens all the time. GP van being there and her not being there doesn't establish probable cause of anything. IMO.

I was cleaning out a kitchen cabinet and came across a Disney gift card. An earlier post mentioned CL's visit to Disney. It made me wonder how well they can check every nook and cranny of the park at night when they close to be sure all visitor have left the premises? How ironic would it be if BL had been living in the park this whole time!
In case anyone doesn't know, Disney has "underground" housing.
Well, not really UNDER the ground, more like the first floor.Utilidors and channels... probably cameras galore as well...
Is there a secret city under Walt Disney World?
MOO.
Edited to correct underground.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads