Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #69

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all of the special sophisticated technology, skill, professional training, human resources, expertise, and intelligence at their beck, I’m wondering how it is that BL and possibly his parents have managed to evade the FBI for 36 days.

I’m seriously perplexed and can’t make it out.

Scott Peterson had dyed his hair and made all sorts of plans to flee the US — but was apprehended. I could list several more…:confused:
12 days to plan with no LE awareness or maybe just dumb luck; Dead or running!

Also, that text is outside the ME's window of when Gabby was killed (Aug 30; she was already dead).
(edited for focus)

One question - has the ME pinpointed specific dates beyond saying "two to three weeks"? I really heard that as a very loose timeframe, rather than pointing to a precise week.

No, the car was in the hands of LE during the trial as there was a lot of speculation that the jury was going to have to smell the trunk for themselves. However, the judge ruled against that in June. The evidence was kept until the trial concluded and shortly. afterwards, the Pontiac Sunfire was returned to George and Cindy Anthony who owned the vehicle and they arranged for it to be destroyed.

As far as Gabby's van goes, it may or may not contain evidence - we don't know yet. So...if it doesn't, it will be returned to her parents unless she had a will saying where it should go. If it did contain evidence, I would expect LE to keep it until there is a trial and then be given to her parents after the trial is over whenever that may be.

Oh gosh I can’t even imagine. From what you have said I’m glad it was destroyed.
I was just saying if there is no evidence then why keep it, it sounds like in that case they were potentially going to use it as evidence. See I’ve been thinking if there is evidence, it could be from previous incidents perhaps blood which you can tell by spatter patterns what type of injury (in some cases from what I’ve seen) also I think the guy who said gabby was covered with a blanket said there wasn’t any obvious drag marks near her (not a hundred percent so I may be wrong) so that’s why I’m thinking there maybe other evidence from previous incidents that may be useful in court rather than her being killed in the van. All MOO and all just a theory.

(edited for focus)

One question - has the ME pinpointed specific dates beyond saying "two to three weeks"? I really heard that as a very loose timeframe, rather than pointing to a precise week.
3-4 weeks prior from Sep 19 (date body found) by the coroner's report. And we can get that down to between Aug27-29 with witness accounts.

I feel like maybe people do not want to be a part of the media circus. I know I wouldn't! MOO

I try to steer clear of twitter, but I peek once in while. Yesterday I saw the twitter mob completely tear down someone who supposedly worked with BLs mom and defended RL as a sweet person and saying negative things about GP. She could have been a complete troll and made it all up. I don't know, I didn't want to go to deep into that SS. Its not wise right now to take that sort of position.

I keep thinking about Elizabeth Smart. She was found by only being able to see her eyes! So it gives me hope that even if BL totally changes his looks, someone will recognize his eyes. I hope!!!

I've wondered about that too! Mainly about how B.L.'s parents can get money to him without getting it traced.

Here's an idea..it probably has holes in it, but what are the holes? That day that mom went to Orlando..she was browsing around the library. She made sure that a family friend was there ? Left an envelope between 2 books.. Family friend picked up envelope, and mailed it. Some predetermined fake name, sent to General Delivery in Murphy, North Carolina. B.L. picked up the envelope, or had someone else pick it up? Maybe $1500 in cash in there.

How could L.E. track this? Just guessing.:)
LE was in the library, too. Pretending to read something extremely irrelevant. That might have been the parental plan, though.

I keep going back to the Apple Watch.

Could GP have not been allowed to use her phone, but when the iPhone was on (maybe BL using it), could she then have sent the text about Stan via the watch? Because that was her only means of communication? And she had to word the text as to not upset BL further if he found it, but alert her mom? But then, maybe BL found the text and blew his top because he knew she was secretly asking for LE?

any way police can determine the source of the text? via watch or iPhone?

Would be interesting if the source of the text were the watch.

I don't know either but I think it would be unlikely LE could easily get a warrant to monitor SB's communication given his occupation. And the Laundries aren't his only clients. They may be his only clients currently entangled in the criminal justice system but even his real estate clients would be accorded privileged communication. So I think there would be a very high bar to get a warrant for SB. It can't just be he's the lawyer for ONE guy we want to catch, I wouldn't think
JMO
I found this interesting:

4. Minimization Requirements. Once law enforcement has begun listening to phone calls there are certain instances that require them to stop listening. Examples of intercepted communication that law enforcement generally cannot listen to include:
  • Calls between husband and wife; or
  • Conversations with medical providers and insurance; or
  • Calls to attorneys; or
  • Conversations with a minister of clergy members; or
  • Conversations irrelevant to the investigation (spot-monitoring may occur).
SIDE NOTE: Privileged calls can be listened to if they are in furtherance of the investigation. For example, if the attorney is assisting in the criminal activity rather than giving legal advice. It’s also worth noting that court’s tend to give law enforcement more leeway on minimization early in the investigation but will likely require more strict adherence to minimization requirements later in the intercept.

7 Steps to a Wiretap and the Best Defenses Explained

(edited for focus)

Really? I heard it as meaning 3-4 weeks. That is, 21-28 days, with the highest probability being in the middle. Because that's how death dates are estimated and there are particular things that can happen around 21 days that give that end date. It's all too morbid to discuss here.

(Edited to add proper facts from the report - you are all correct but the point still stands). At about 3 weeks, there are certain types of evidence that become a kind of clock. There's actually more than one type of evidence that can help provide these windows.

IOW, these are not guesses, but estimates (some things take 3 weeks to happen - perhaps a little longer in a cooler, drier place, so some additional time added).

Last edited:
It wasn't Red White and Blume that lead to LE finding the body. LE was already at Spread Creek searching on the Friday morning before they found her body. LE already had multiple witness reports on where the van was parked and was asking the public to search their photos and videos if they were in that area that weekend. The next night, Saturday night, RWB searched through their video and found the clip that they uploaded early Sunday morning to youtube after providing it to LE. Granted its great video evidence, but its not the reason GP was found.
Spread Creek is a huge area and the FBI asked for tips. A video is far more credible than someone who thinks they saw the van. The blogger tipped the FBI Saturday night and her body was found on Sunday.

FBI seeks Grand Teton campers who stayed in Spread Creek area, may have seen Gabby Petito, boyfriend | Gephardt Daily

Travel blogger Jenn Bethune's footage of Gabby Petito's van helped cops find her body

Last edited:
And yet neither parent has mentioned she called them. When asked about the MOAB video they've all said they had no clue.

It is possible she was pretending to speak with her parents for fear there would be an immediate request for her to come home.

The MOAB incident which involved the police would have undoubtedly alarmed her parents especially if they already had their doubts or questions about the relationship.

It is not a new thing to pretend to talk with someone on the phone, especially when you are trying to avoid someone/something. Perhaps she thought calling her parents would be a bad idea. In retrospect, it probably would have been the best idea of her life, sadly.

It is possible she was pretending to speak with her parents for fear there would be an immediate request for her to come home.

The MOAB incident which involved the police would have undoubtedly alarmed her parents especially if they already had their doubts or questions about the relationship.

It is not a new thing to pretend to talk with someone on the phone, especially when you are trying to avoid someone/something. Perhaps she thought calling her parents would be a bad idea. In retrospect, it probably would have been the best idea of her life, sadly.

I don't understand why she would pretend to call anyone though? If she didn't want to speak with anyone, she didn't have to make a phone call at all. MOO

3-4 weeks prior from Sep 19 (date body found) by the coroner's report. And we can get that down to between Aug27-29 with witness accounts.

Although I agree with you, I don't know that we can definitively use the 29th as the end date for her death. That's just the date BL was seen without her. True, its the most likely date, but it isn't factual. The 27th date we can use if the Merry Piglets sighting is confirmed (which I personally believe to be true).

I’m wondering if she talked to his sister, Cassie. Someone who lived with them at one time and closer in age. I feel there was too much embarrassment about the situation for her to call her Mom! We have to remember that BL kept telling her things were all her fault!
Agreed and if I try to imagine how I'd have handled this at Gabby's age, I wouldn't have told a parent. Friend yes.

But just jumping off your post ( & all the other posters on the topic of this call) it's possible that she was simply listening to her messages at that point - just because she has finally got her phone back from Brian.

My interpretation of this section of the incident is that he'd taken her phone & put it in ' this spot', in the car, out of reach from her & impression was he wasn't keen on the cops retrieving it - as if he'd hidden it ( It's in the transcript, if you search for the word ' spot')

Anyway - running with this theme of BL's possible control with her phone/phones- a previous poster said at the weekend - what if BL started to block the Petitos or delete their voicemails & texts on his parents phone Sept 10th - 13th? Is that possible?

BL knew GP's password afaik from looking at the MOAB bodycam, maybe he knows his parents' passwords too.

Gabby Petito & Brian Laundrie Utah Bodycam Footage Transcript Before Disappearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member