Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #69

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I was to keep my kid out of thesuper max ….I would take him to north of Atlanta to the base of the App trail….give him a fist full of dollars and say….run……soooo. ….walking at the rate of 5-10 miles per day/dusk……..camping , hiding….staying parallel to the trail……avoiding people…..staying away from open fields…. (hey fbi, did he take the pup tent ?)……..that puts him around west virginia now…….he’s gonna hit vermont and go straight north…. using his compass….cross into Canada and be gone. He will steal food from cars along the way. Buy food from old people in small grocery stores with his hat and beard and legal mask. He can hunker down with mountain folks without internet. He will totally fit in with the Burlington Vermonters. I feel sorry for the next girl ( if hes guilty)

Pretty sure he isn’t going to walk to Canada this time of year. Where I live in WA it’s already getting into the low 40’s and 30’s at night, and the elevation here isn’t even 1000 feet.

If I was SB, I'd tell my clients to tell my other client to call me so I could arrange a surrender. And, I would have done it a month ago. MOO

100%. I don’t see what ever in their minds made any of them think running was the best way to handle this mess. All they have done since BL rolled back into town is compound their problems.

Probably the hotel wifi....
Side note: Gosh I hated that place when I was on the AT... It all seemed so vacant, with a huge reservoir for a view. The AT shelter there has tiers. It was full that night I was there...24 people on shelves one above the other. It's called the Fontana Hilton. You have to take a shuttle to the Fontana Resort. One reason the couple might have caught attention is that there are a lot of hikers clustered right there, and they're hanging out for the night. They have time on their hands, since darkness comes early. Plenty of time to discuss what they might have seen. Hikers would also likely to be going to the Resort to buy alcohol.
But this is a really good sign if hikers are conferrin,g and the marshals are willing to listen.

I wish I had hiked the AT when I was in my early 20's. If I start when I retire at 57 it would either whip me into shape or kill me lol. I would imagine there are plenty of places along the trail where one could just basically get 'lost' and likely never be found if they wanted.

And after Jenny Lake is, when I expect, they made their way to Victor, Idaho. MOO Something happened and they turned around. MOO
I think they went from SLC on the 24th to Victor, ID (I don't know where they camped the 24th). If they were seen there in stores on the 25th, I feel like it might make sense they were there first (during store hours), then on to Jenny Lake at 5pm the 25th. That would put them to Spread Creek by evening. But that's all just guessing.

Pretty sure he isn’t going to walk to Canada this time of year. Where I live in WA it’s already getting into the low 40’s and 30’s at night, and the elevation here isn’t even 1000 feet.
It's currently 40'F Toronto @11:20 p.m! If BL used his time and resources wisely in the early days then yeah, it IS possible but is it likely? Imho, too risky to head that far north into another country when there's so many hiding places closer to home.

If I was to keep my kid out of thesuper max ….I would take him to north of Atlanta to the base of the App trail….give him a fist full of dollars and say….run……soooo. ….walking at the rate of 5-10 miles per day/dusk……..camping , hiding….staying parallel to the trail……avoiding people…..staying away from open fields…. (hey fbi, did he take the pup tent ?)……..that puts him around west virginia now…….he’s gonna hit vermont and go straight north…. using his compass….cross into Canada and be gone. He will steal food from cars along the way. Buy food from old people in small grocery stores with his hat and beard and legal mask. He can hunker down with mountain folks without internet. He will totally fit in with the Burlington Vermonters. I feel sorry for the next girl ( if hes guilty)
A few weeks ago I envisioned him trying to cut out (or burn off) his tattoos. I know..., but stranger things have happened. MOO

I just had a thought - wasn't there a report from a manager or someone at Merry Piglets that said they didn't have a van? Maybe they got a ride into town and left the van at Spread Creek? MOO and just speculating - I could be misremembering.
Nope. Merry Piglets just confirmed the incident and said nothing about the van. The instagrammer and her boyfriend who reported the incident to the FBI never saw the van that we know of. The van is mentioned in articles about it because Merry Piglets happened the same day the Bethunes saw the van. But there would be no reason to hitch a ride since they had the van, JMOO
Witnesses: Laundrie had 'full blown' dispute in Wyoming eatery hours before Gabby Petito disappeared

Brian Laundrie manhunt: Here is what lawyer says can be used in court against him: LIVE UPDATES

LIVE Updates

Brian Laundrie search: Motive in prior domestic incident could be used in court, lawyer says

US Marshal Service clarifies involvement in Brian Laundrie search

Brian Laundrie lookalike claims he was ambushed by US Marshals on Appalachian Trail

Gabby Petito angel mural: Colorado artist's work takes on new meaning after tragedy

Petito's mother believes Laundrie's parents know 'most of the information' about daughter's death

Gabby Petito fundraiser raises nearly $14,000

Do you think LE has sent up drones in the day ? Or heat seeking for him at night ? Or is that too much for this type of manhunt ?

Who knows these days, likely some satellite has it all known already. :) I would expect it's too large to really cover with drones. In the end, no matter what they spot they have to put boots on the ground and confirm.

“But would that excuse BL parents for not responding to GP parents phone calls and texts. IMO that was inexcusable”

Except…. Here’s my imaginary scenario:

The calls and texts “flooded in” on the tenth of September. It is plausible to me that no confession or even a reference to harm/death (eg, accidental or by another’s hand) was made prior to that date. They may or may not have sensed that something more serious than a breakup was going on, but, like Gabby’s parents (who articulated thoughts along these lines to the press): who would have imagined such a thing (as what actually happened) to have occurred? There is the worry/concern that we all experience from time to time (when someone is unusually late, when we can’t put our finger on what’s “off” about a loved one’s behavior, when we haven’t heard from someone for what feels like “too long”…). We have learned to minimize these worries for ourselves and others, to talk ourselves down from the places our imagination wants to take us—because, more often than not, it really is/was “nothing”. It isn’t until we run out of excuses that the real dread/panic/fear are allowed to set in.

Maybe Gabby’s parents reached that awful place before the Laundries. Maybe it was their messages on the 10th that popped the Laundries’ “everything is probably OK” bubble. What do I do when I get a message to which I’m not immediately sure how to respond? Answer: I don’t immediately respond. It’s possible the very first text they received either took them aback a little or outright alarmed them — triggering the need to think and discuss before replying. Yes, the messages probably fairly quickly struck them as a possible/likely emergency situation that required answers and action—but…. It’s also probable, given the fact they NEVER REPLIED, that as they mulled over how best to respond, the situation escalated in their minds to a very real crisis, and—in all their confusion and fear—they reached out for advice from a particularly trusted and knowledgeable source: their lawyer. And we all know what happened (or didn’t happen) next.

What do you do when the utterly unthinkable happens? We can all hypothesize and judge to our hearts’ content, based on who and where we are in our lives right now (and, perhaps, who and where we THINK we are in our lives right now!)—but reality is all too frequently a different beast. JMO

Edited:

OOPS! I originally forgot to include the quote? Something is looking wonky on my end…

Typos, clarity…

Last edited:
BL would not be remotely close to West Virginia. Springer to WVa is over 1000 miles. Calculate 100 miles a week. That's a lot faster than your 5-10 miles. People can do it quite a bit faster, but usually they're just getting in shape in the first 400 miles, and they still carry too much stuff. Plus, it's now cold at night.
IMO BL wasn't very fit, and he wasn't used to piling on miles. His experience on the AT seems to have been dayhikes like Dragon's tooth.

Autopsies can't do that - they don't use context in that way. Which is why Dr Blue defers to the Coroner.

I do hope that the Feds spring for further entomology study - which as far as we know, as not been done. I think they're waiting until they find BL to spring for it.

Dr Blue is the coroner. And in the zoom press conference he indicated that that an entomologist (from the fbi, iirc) was used. JMO

I think they went from SLC on the 24th to Victor, ID (I don't know where they camped the 24th). If they were seen there in stores on the 25th, I feel like it might make sense they were there first (during store hours), then on to Jenny Lake at 5pm the 25th. That would put them to Spread Creek by evening. But that's all just guessing.
But they spoke to the merchant about Yellowstone. I wish I still had her Twitter screenshot, it was far more complete than this. There was also another reference to Victor, ID merchant in the "Emporium" on 48 hrs. I have never been clear as to whether there were 2 Idaho merchants who called in sightings and interactions, or if it was only the one here in Rustic Row (or whether rustic row and emporium are one and the same).

Petito’s death ruled a homicide, experts see Laundrie as abuser

I wish I had hiked the AT when I was in my early 20's. If I start when I retire at 57 it would either whip me into shape or kill me lol. I would imagine there are plenty of places along the trail where one could just basically get 'lost' and likely never be found if they wanted.
Most men who thru hike the AT are newly retired or just out of college. IME women are a little more scattered age wise. I encountered hordes of men 65+.
Also, some folks were "thruhiking" by getting picked up every night by family. They'd stay in motels. They carried just day packs.

This is what is baffling to me…..is he never going to see his family again?

MOO they all probably assume that things will die down and they can move somewhere else and BL can join them. They didn’t seem to be very forward/future thinking when he magically vanished from their house… just acting for the moment and perhaps the next 5 minutes.

Petito Friend: Gabby and Brian Laundrie Lived in Condo, Not at Laundrie’s Parents’ House
Crime Online

Oct 18

A woman who says she was good friends with Gabby Petito claims it’s just not true that Petito and fiancé Brian Laundrie were living at his parents’ home in North Port, Florida, before their road trip.

Rose Davis, who says she was a long-time friend of Petito’s, said Saturday during a TikTok Live session that Petito and Laundrie actually lived together in a condo paid for by Laundrie’s parents. The claim has not been independently verified or confirmed publicly by authorities. It is not clear where the alleged condo was located.

“She did not live with the Laundrie parents,” Davis said during the live session.

“They had a condo that the parents paid for.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member